“Great Resort and "No Complaints"”

Ocean Coral & Turquesa
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Myself,wife and teenagers age 17 & 14 arrived on April 21st at 1:00 p.m. and were in our room (Bldg. #17) within 1 hour with no hassels from time share or any other sales pitches. The rooms (which we had two of), are kind of old decor but you are only there to sleep and change for dinner. I emailed the resort twice before we went to ask for rooms on the same floor or at least the same Bldg. When we got the the rooms they were one room apart ! The mattress's could be better but that would be our only complaint. We always had hot water and clean towels and always had fresh water,beers, and soft drinks in the fridge's. We only ate at the buffet for dinner once and that was the night we arrived and had no complaints about choice or amount of food variety offered. We ate at all ala carts except the fusion (privilaged) and all were very good and the least favorite was the Mexican and Best was all of the others. Breakfast is what it is at any resort so we never had any problems with finding something to eat in the morning from fresh fruit to omelets made to order. Lunch was at buffet or choice of three other snack bars and never had a problem finding a wide choice. The pools are nothihng short of FANTASTIC ! As for there not being enough lounge chairs for everyone, we got to the pool every morning by 9 a.m. and never had a problem but if you got there after 10:30 then you couldnt find more than 1 together. most people do reserve theirs before 9, but come on it takes 2 seconds to run down and plop a towel where you want it. Staff at the Ocean Coral are very eager to please and are always busy trying to please you. We do tip on vacation but you dont have to and it made no differance in service if you did or didn't tip. The resort is very,very clean and never had any problem getting or waiting more than a minute or two on the busiest of times to get a drink. Beach is great and it does have sea grass but they clean it often. The grounds are simply beautiful ! My final words for this resort are the ones who wrote negative reviews must never be able to be pleased and if you dont go to this resort, "YOU WILL BE MISSNG OUT". Thank you Ocean Coral for a great time and we will be back next year !

Room Tip: Email resort prior for special requests
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank atticany
There are newer reviews for Ocean Coral & Turquesa

Reviewed April 22, 2011

This was our 1st anniversary trip. We actually got married last year in Mexico at another resort near puerto morelos. We love the mayan riviera this is our 4th trip and have had the opportunity to stay near akumal, playa and twice near Puerto morelos. This resort is a beautiful resort with some minor glitches.

Our views on a holiday is you make it what you want. Stay positive and enjoy yourself and you'll have a great time. Negative nillies are always looking for something bad to say.

The only negative thing that was a minor glitch was the smoking. There are still smokers out there and in some social circles its still very prevelent, but its not something that should have to be tolerated by us non smokers. This resort needs a smoking area so that those who choose may do so, far away from us that don't. The resort is eco friendly and they request that no cigarette butts be thrown on the beach for fear that turtles will consume them and fall ill. Well we saw many butts all along the palapas and saw people blatenly ignore the signs. Ok I've vented and now for all the posItves :)

The staff here work extremely hard. Their always workin their tail off to make sure your stay is enjoyable. The staff get a big thumbs up for the hard work. Tips show them how we enjoyed the assitance. We chose not to do the privilege but did tip well and I felt like we were privilege. The privilege may be worth it if you need to have a hot tub on your deck and don't have patience to wait for a table for supper. My wife and I ate at 4 alacartes and only once did we have to wait to be seated. The wait was for 20 mins to the tepinyaki cause they have certain times for the show/dinner. We liked to eat early and had no issues also we spoke to some people who went a little later for suppers and they had no long waits either.
The food at all the restaurants was pretty darn good. This is Mexico and there are hundreds of people also eating so the chefs do very well for the mass production they have to do. We really enjoyed the pinapple margaritas at the seaside restaurant along with the huge steak. The buffet was also good for breakfast. Lunches you can always switch up the rootine and try one of the snack bars that also had enjoyable food.
The towel game is in force here just like most resorts, so be prepared. We did luck out and didn't get up early and found a spot by the ocean when we wanted. We also relaxed by the pool and again didn't go early we just walked till we found a spot.
The rooms are nice and we really enjoyed the private deck. Each day we were able to look out and see the iguanas do their dance. Also my wife was an ant eater whisperer. We stayed in building 5 and our patio overlooked a little jungle area as well as the ocean.
All in all this resort is a nice place for a holiday. We lucked out and had plenty of sun during our stay (april 13-20)

• Stayed: April 2011
1  Thank SkTraveler2010
Reviewed April 22, 2011

We recently returned from a weeks stay at this property and, I have to say, reading some of the reviews of it prior to travel, I was unsure of the possible "adventure" we may encounter. But I can assure you now, I think some people stayed at a DIFFERENT RESORT, as this was one of the most amazingly beautiful, clean and friendly places we have stayed at in Mexico. The food was wonderful, with breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets overflowing with choices. The Restaurants all provided unique and tasty choices, with the Seafood Grill and Mexican ones being our favorites.
As for the "minor bumps", it is true that the lack of a reservation system for the restaurants is odd and confusing, but you learn to navigate it after a few days. Also, it would be great if you could get bottled water from the pool bars and NOT just from the lobby bar, it is slightly inconvenient to walk to the busy lobby from the beach.

But what really makes this place shine is the EXCELLENT staff, from the servers to the landscapers, everybody smiles, says hi and asks if you need anything...it makes the entire resort sparkle and makes you feel at home.

All in all, it was a wonderful trip and cant wait to return.....again and again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Dx3
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I had a wonderful time at the Ocean Coral and Turquesa. This was my first time to Riviera Maya, and I must say that I am very impressed! The activity staff was terrific, and did a wonderful job getting people to join in on activities!! We had a great time, and I'm sure we'll return! Thank you!!!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
EVEGT, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2011

It is with a big pleasure that we read your review .It is extremely rewarding to learn you had a good time at our resort and further more that you are willing to return .

Looking forward to host you again.

Bests,

Reviewed April 21, 2011

I just got back yesterday from spending a week at Ocean Turquesa and it was an amazing vacation!! I definitely recommend this resort.

Here are things I loved:

1) The staff there is amazing. Everyone is very friendly, polite and everyone remembers your face and name!!!

2) Check in was a breeze and only took a few minutes. We didn't have to wait for our room. It was ready when we got there but we did arrive at around 4:30pm.

3) Room - We had a beautiful room that overlooked the beautiful grounds, ocean and one of the pools. The room was quiet and very sound proof. There was a safe that came with the room (no extra charge) and a bar fridge that was restocked everyday. The only thing I disliked about the room was the the bathroom is open and has no door. It wasn't a huge deal and I had read on here that the bathrooms were like this so it was not a surprise or anything.

4) Housekeeping - They were amazing and cleaned our room immaculately every day.

5) Food - The food was amazing! I only ate at 1 a la carte and that was the Italian restaurant and it was amazing. The buffet was delicious!! Me and my mom ended up eating there most of the vacation but the food was sooo good and there was a very large variety of things to choose from! They even had theme nights in the buffet. One night was Mexican and another night was French or something like that. I am a very picky eater and was worried that there wouldn't be much that I would actually eat but I was shocked at how many choices there were at the buffet. Always lots of vegetables and meat! They would have pork, beef and chicken meals every night.

There were line ups to the a la cartes at around 6pm but if you wait until 7 or 8pm we had no problem getting into them!! My mom went to a few of the a la cartes and she had no problem getting in. Like I said before I only went to the Italian restaurant. They have tables and chairs set up outside so if you do have to wait at all there is a comfortable place to sit. There is also a bar pretty close by to get a drink while waiting!

6) The beach - The beach was absolutely beautiful! There is a wind in this area of the mayan riviera but that wind was refreshing!! Without it it would of been so hot, but the wind was a bit cooler than the temperature and really kept you from being really uncomfortable. I had no problem finding a lounger on the beach. Some mornings I didn't get to the beach until 11am and I still had no problem finding a lounger! I always went to the end of the beach where the kayaks and stuff were and there were always loungers available and it was a beautiful spot. The water was warm and nice. There was a bit of seaweed but it was fine! Lots of beautiful fish in the water!! Also there is drink service on the beach where they come around and take your order and bring you back drinks so you don't even have to move from the beach to get a drink which was very nice!!

7) The grounds - The grounds are absolutely stunning!!! Lots of birds, lizards, flowers, trees and tropical plants. Also they would bring in different animals that you could have your picture taken with which was really neat.

8) Bars - The bars were great. Never had to wait too long to get a drink and I found that all bars didn't skimp on the alcohol put in the drinks especially the lobby bar!!

9) Pools - There are 4 pools. One is a kids pool and then one pool has a swim up bar. I didn't really swim too much in the pools at all and instead was on the beach in the ocean the whole time! But my mom swam in the pools and she said they were really nice and a good temperature. The pools were also not jam packed with people.

I was so happy with this resort and would definately recommend it! It is only about 20-30 min from the Cancun airport so that was nice not having to sit in a bus for a few hours to get to the resort!!

There is also free high speed internet in the Lobby which was nice! If you upgrade to the privilege package you get free high speed internet in your room, have your own section of the beach, jacuzzi on the deck, personal concierge to book your reservations at the a la carte, etc. I didn't do privilege and it wasn't a huge deal. But it would be worth it if it wasn't too much more!

We did the Xel-Ha and Tulum combination tour and I would definitely recommend visiting both places but the combination tour was SOOOO rushed!! We didn't have enough time at Xel-Ha to explore everything so we wished we had done a full day at Xel-Ha. It is worth it!!! Such an amazing place with tons of things to see and do!!! Also at Tulum we only had about an hour there and found ourselves running around to see things and we still didn't get to see everything. I would do Tulum separately as a 4 hour or more trip. There is a beautiful beach that you can swim at so bring a towel if you want to swim right at the ruins!!!

We also did the $15 shopping tour through the resort to Playa Del Carmen but it was SOOO rushed!!! We had to run back to the bus because we almost missed it! There are so many beautiful shops, restaurants and bars! We were soo sad that we didn't just take a cab to Playa and spent the day there. We didn't even have time to check out the beach! It was a very rushed trip so I recommend taking a day to go to Playa!!

I loved this resort and will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 21, 2011

I usually do not write reveiws but I was dissappointed.
They just did not seem to have it together. Fewer bars then most competitors and never a place to sit. Also waiting for a drink 10 minutes at the bar was commonplace. Resturants that were open late, 12:30 for lunch and coffee shop that opens after 10:00am. Lots of walking to get things you want. I tried getting a banana around 11:30 and it was going to 4 spots that a was turned away because it was not within hours and the bar tender telling me he needs the bananas for drinks. It seemed that most of the americans I spoke with felt the same. There is a lot of bad things I could write about but I just do not have the time. My suggestion is to stay away. If you have already booked you might try upgrading to the premium H10 maybe you will have better luck. These problems did not absolutely distroy the trip. I still had fun but I would never go back.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rtoddboyd

It is good to know you had fun at the Resort ;on the other hanad we regret that due to some aspects of your stay your experience with us could not be toatally satisfactory.We can assured that the correctives measures have been already taken in the required cases.

We tahnk you for tsharing your opinion.

Very Warm Regards,

Reviewed April 19, 2011

The resort was very nice! Really big, a lot of different restaurants and bars. All the employees were very helpful, most of them spoke English well.

I just got back from this resort and let me tell you I had the time of my life! If it wasn't for the entertainers I don't think I would have had as much fun. We got to know the entertainers and they are all very genuine and nice. They actually care about you, and want you have have the best time of your life.

If you go there make sure you get to know these entertainers:
Cindy Machorro, she is extremly nice and friendly. She is very helpful and fun to be around!

Johaness Wille, is another entertainer that you should get to know! He is the life of the party. He will make sure you have a great time, and will help you with anything that you need or want.

I am planning on going back to this resort next year, and I hope you will choose this resort as well!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
EVEGT, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2011

It is with a big satisfactionh that we learn you have had a very good vacation experience at our Resort and that you have appreciated the courtesy and professionalism of our staff.

Thank you very mucdh for taking your time to share your opinion with the rest of the travelers.

Bests,

Hotel Riu Yucatan
Hotel Riu Yucatan
#62 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!