“Exceeded our most optimistic expectations!!!!!”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Ottoville, Ohio
“Exceeded our most optimistic expectations!!!!!”
Reviewed February 17, 2010

My wife and I and another couple just returned from 4 days / 3 nights at Secrets Silversands in Riviera Maya. I'll try to hit the highlights without making this a real long review.

*Location: Excellent...15 minute ride from airport.
*Appearance: Awesome and beautiful.
*Rooms: VERY NICE, big king bed, couch, flat screen tv, balcony with couch and lounge bed...AWESOME huge shower and whirlpool tub.
*Lobby: Great, huge area with lounging couches everywhere and very nice bar.
*Bars: Great, lobby bar, pool bar, swim-up bar, several tiki bars around pool area. Selection was wonderful: Crown Royal, Grey Goose, you name it, anything you can imagine...just ask. Bud Light in cans, Corona and Negro Modelo on draught. Again selection far exceeded our expectations! Drinks were served in glass glasses when at bar, and very nice plastic-ware (not plastic cups) around pools
*Restaurants: VERY good, Breakfast buffet was great with at least 40-50 dishes to choose from. Pool-side rest was very good, (ate twice there). Japanese was excellent, and gave us a chance to try a lot of different things that we might not have, had we had to pay for it. Italan was good as well.Did not do Mexican, French, or Mediterranean, but heard good things.
*Beach: We almost passed on this place due to reviews saying beach was bad.....IT"S NOT. I walked the distance of the resort barefooted, and it felt and looked like any other beach I've ever been on. Lots of chairs and shade, but they do fill up quick.....get there early if you want a chair.
*Pools: AWESOME infinity pools everywhere you look. Very clean with tons of chairs in the sun AND in the shade, along with hammocks if you prefer. Lots of restrooms, bars close no matter where you sit.
*Staff: Excellent. Some of our favorites: Bartenders: Russell (swim-up bar), Roger, Alonzo. Entertainment: Eduard his crew were great. Tried to get you involved, but did not bother you if you preferred not to..
*Entertainment: Pretty good. Saw a good hypnosis show, ok caribbean show, interesting couples entertainment show. Live music after that in the outside pool area which was above average.
We have already recommended this resort to family and friends, and may very well stay there again next year. We almost did not go here due to a disappointing stay in Cancun several yrs ago (Sun Palace), but am very glad we gave this area another shot. Really can't complain about anything. Everything exceeded our expectations, and the price seemed very fair for what we got in return. (Paid approx $800 per person for 3 nights) I'm sure it helped that we had good weather, and were there with great friends, but I really can not imagine anyone not having a good time here.

5 Thank TonyOttoville_Ohio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,084)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 17, 2010

We booked for four nights over the Valentine's Day weekend and had a great time.

It was not perfect - the concierge was downright unhelpful and several facilities in the spa did not work. In fact, after spending $500+ at the spa, it's the only reason I didn't go with 5-stars overall. But forget that.

The staff was amazing. The food and drinks were well better than what we expected and they hit just the right balance between relaxing and boring. They kept the drinks flowing at every one of the five or six bars, the restaurant service and food was either good or very good and the staff was great.

The guests were 90% Americans and the entire staff spoke English at least enough to understand and be friendly. So staying here wasn't really like being in Mexico - based on how remote the hotel is from anything else, you'd never know you were in Mexico. But we didn't see this as a problem. And there are plenty of opportunities to leave the hotel and see the sights.

It's Not: Authentic Mexican experience, a place to swim in the ocean, a 5-star spa, the Ritz.

But it is: Fun, great drinks, great service, good food, safe, easy to navigate, beautiful and worth every dollar or hour you want to spend.

We also booked an add-on 'romantic dinner' package which was just perfect. Honestly one of the best we've ever had. The pools were great, the shows were good and we'd go back tomorrow if we could.

If you're looking around, stop looking. You won't regret staying here.

Tip: even though it's all inclusive, bring $100 in $1s, $5s and $10s for tips. Trust me, you don't need to tip since the service is great either way. But a small tip for a great bartender or great dinner service is appreciated.

3 Thank newspindoc
mallorca
Reviewed February 17, 2010

that hollidays was wonderful. the hotel was the best that i knew in my life. it is very beautiful, great. people who work is polaid, genial, and a lot of very great another things. the rooms are incredibles and the bed is super confortable.
all the hotel is and incredible experience!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank cancunMallorca
Boston
Reviewed February 17, 2010

The good:
-Excellent service, literally I have never seen this type of service..
-Staff tries to learn your name and greets you by it every morning
-Great rooms, recommed upgradng if you can for ocean views. The balcony is great.
-Good food
-Great view of the ocean
-Great looking pool

The Bad:

-Night life???? What night life, if I had stayed at the hotel we'd be bored out of our MINDS. For the price we paid I expected to see a spectacular show each night. They completely skimped out on providing quality entertainment.
-This place is boring. Let me emphasize, if you're under 35 and you lead an active lifestyle, this resort is NOT FOR YOU. I went with family for a wedding of my brother in law and my girlfriend and I had nothing to do there for a week, so we ended up going to the city each night for dancing/drinking/activities.
-Resort has NO water sports whatsoever, everything is located at some other resort requiring us take a taxi there, thus tack on an extra 30 dollars for the taxi every time you want to go somewhere. Do you want to do jetskiing/parasailing/kayaking/snorkeling? Then stay away from this resort.

I'd recommend the hotel if you're not active, don't like to have fun or want to just lay on the beach chair and do nothing during the day and even less at night. Resort age demographics are >26. We weren't looking a wild and crazy time, but at the same time we're not in need of walking canes. The real deal killer was the fact that we had to travel outside of our resort for water sports and a crappy night life.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank eclypsecl
BaciMia
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I was reading many reviews online and was starting to second guess my hotel selection, but the pictures looked so wonderful, i couldn't believe the negativity.! So, we checked it out for ourselves.

This is a FIVE star hotel with all the ammenities! Anyone who has anything bad to say, must be CRAZY.

We left snowy NY and arrived in paradise. The hotel is immaculate, the staff is 1st class and the food was great! The entertainment staff keep us busy from 10 am - 1am every day! They had vollyball, aerobics, dance lessons, football and bingo daily. Nightly live shows, latin bands and dj's at night. ( with a great outdoor bar) We did a wine tasting and made plenty of friends.All staffers worked so hard to accomadate you in every way.

The rooms were amazing, clean and large. With views of the resort, pools and ocean!

SAD WE ARE HOME! WOULD DEFINITLEY GO BACK!!! :-)

2 Thank BaciMia
coventry
Reviewed February 15, 2010

My husband and I just return from our trip to SSS and let me say it was one of the best places we have stayed in the Rivera Maya.
I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews before booking this trip so I knew about the beach. we arrived at Cancun airport later than we were secheduled to because of the snow but we had no problem finding our transfer and getting to the resort. We were welcomed but they did not offer us champagne or a cold towel. We were checked into our room very quickly and did not have to listen to anyone talk about time-share. I do think however that the people coming in from other travel sites such as apple vacations did get champagne and did have to listen to the presentation. Our room was very nice and I am glad I did not spend the extra money to upgrade to a prefer room. The place was about half full so we had no problems with getting into any restaurants or getting any drinks. We did not tip the bar people as I feel they were doing their jobs and get paid well to do it. (I have a friend that use to work at one of the resorts and told us not to tip) but we did tip our waiters and the service was the same wheather we tipped or not. We used room service quite a bit and it was very good they always quoted us a 30-40 minute wait but was usually there whit-in 15 minutes.
We did visit the Azul Sensation which was right next door that resort looked real nice. We kept walking futher down (to the left) and found a nude beach (which we were not aware of) so beware it comes up fast.
I have stayed in Playa Del Carmen 6 times before and although I did like the resort I did not like the area there was not much to do outside the resort.
All-in-all it was a great trip and if this resort was in Playacar I would definitly stay there.

3 Thank cheermum
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed February 15, 2010

The service from the moment we stepped out of the transport was outstanding. Every employee smiles, and makes you welcome, as if this is your home. Check in was personal- we were offered champagne and given a tour of hotel and amenities. The hotel and room is exactly as described on the website. Everything from the pools to the bed is inviting comfortable and spacious.
I think the one most impressive aspects of the first day was the fact that every employee seemed genuinely happy to make our stay memorable.
FANTASTICO!

Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,568 reviews

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!