“Loved every thing about it!”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Loved every thing about it!”
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We were there for our 25th anniversary from 8/12/09 thru 8/19/09. We had an early flight out of St Louis, arriving in CUN about 9:50am. No lines and quickly out the door and on our way. Nice short trip from the airport. We arrived and our room was not ready, but our friends was. They were on the 4th floor of bldg 5. It was a pool view. No noise from the generater was heard in the room or on the balcony. We dropped our bags in their room, changed and headed to the pool. Decided on lunch outside and were blown away by the quality and selection. The waiter brought us several things we didn't order just to try, and the food we did order - we all loved. We hung out at the infinity pool the rest of the afternoon. Beautiful view, and lots of options for sun or shade. We enjoyed this pool alot, but after several days discovered the pool in front of Bldg 4 (I think). It is between the building and the ocean. If you positiion your chair with your back to the pool, all you see is ocean. It is also a quieter pool.
We were given a room in bldg 2 on the 3rd floor. It had a pool view with partial ocean view - if you looked REALLY hard to the left! The afternoon sun was too hot to enjoy the balcony. If I go again, I will request a room with the balcony facing east. The rooms are beautiful. And the lounge bed on the balcony was put to good use!
The first night we had dinner at the Mexican restaurant. The flank steak is outstanding. And, as everyone has said, the chocolate souffle is to die for. Good Sangria!
On Friday we went to the Jungle Spa for massages. Outside of the resort, it was the highlight of our trip. I won't go into a lot of detail here, as I already posted a review for them under Things To Do. Just know that we had a 1 hr traditional mayan massage for $35 USD. An aloe and banana leaf wrap afterward for another $30.
After the massage we headed to PM for lunch and to hang out on the beach. We had lunch at Pelicano's. A bit overpriced, but great view. Food was good. The beach there is gorgeous.
We ate at the French restaurant and all had the filets. Steaks were good. Soup and salad equally as good. They have pretty good red wine here and at the Italian restaurant.
Oceana, the seafood restaurant is the only one we were disappointed in. It might have been because we were there later in the evening.
The Asian restaurant is outstanding. We dined ala carte - by choice. Everything we tried was prepared well and very tasty. The sushi was even pretty good.
Had we known how good the Italian restaurant was, we would have gone again. My friend and I had the seafood pasta with pesto sauce - yummy! My husband had rack of lamb - and was it ever good. We were very surprised. Again, salads and soups all were good.
Steak restaurant was good, too. That night is kind of a blur to me, so that is all I can say :)
The buffet at breakfast always had a large variety. We had smoked salmon every morning. We tried the buffet one day for lunch. I wanted some grilled fish but I didn't see any. So I asked and was told to wait a minute. He left, then reappeared a few minutes later with a large piece of grouper. Asked how I wanted it prepared, and voile! I was impressed. Grilled in garlic butter. It was soooo good.
Room service - we had the abbreviated version of the menu. Our friends had the full menu. They would bring you whatever you asked for, so the size of your menu didn't matter. We ordered several times for afternoon snacks. Only one time did it take longer than 20 minutes. The secret box is a great idea! Although sometimes they still knocked several times before the left it. And they always called to make sure you got it.
Our fridge was restocked daily, as were the toiletries.
The pool/beach wait staff was excellent. Sometimes we would try to make a trip to the bar, and would always get stopped by the waitress. She would insist on carrying the drinks to us, and always it was 'her pleasure'. You will see a server every 20 minutes - max. Lots of people ordered food by the pool, too.
We really enjoyed the outside lobby bar. We spent time there every evening before and after dinner. Some afternoons, too. Lots of fun people watching :) They always had whatever liquor was asked for.
This was our first adult only experience. All I can say is - WOW! Is it ever quiet!!! We totally enjoyed the trip - everything about the resort is first class. Our friend took a nasty fall the first morning we were there. The resort took great care in getting her to a hospital for evaluation. They took care of everything. Even had her prescription filled and delivered to her room that evening.
We will put Secrets at the top of our list of favorite resorts. Let me know if I can help ease any concerns you may have.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jpinstl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,150)
Denver, CO
Reviewed September 16, 2009

I thought I would try a little different kind of a review talking about what we liked the best, what we like the least, and helpful tips.

Overall the resort is great. I would definitely recommend it. For its size it is compact, with nothing being too long of a walk. It is new, modern and I thought the facilities were excellent.

Here’s what we liked:

It’s not the traditional architecture which Jaclyn definitely likes, but this is modern, clean and sharp. The lobby overlooks the lobby bar and it pulls everyone together at dinner time. Best feature: I loved the mirror by the rounded steps going from the lobby to the lobby bar.

The rooms are big with terrific bathrooms. They have the normal AM Resorts toiletries so if you are looking for a separate shampoo and conditioner be sure to bring your own and if you like big bars of soap again bring your own. The Jacuzzi tub is great and the shower was enormous. Best added feature was the incense stick.

The restaurants were all very good (we did not eat at Oceana or the Seaside Grill). Two restaurants were closed each day which left 5 open. Our favorite restaurants were the Italian and the Japanese, but all were very good. Most of the restaurants had live music and the Mexican is one you will either love or hate. The y have a very loud Mariachi Band which is a lot of fun, but hard on the ears. You won’t go hungry and unless you are a true gourmet you probably will find the food to be very good. Best dessert would have to be the chocolate soufflé in the Mexican Restaurant, but we found we could order it in the other restaurants as well (we were going to leave the others and go for dessert in El Patio).

The Beach is everything you read about it. There is a lot of seaweed and there are a lot of stones on the sand. But it is a very comfortable beach to relax on. We would go early and get a papilla for the day. If you want shade, it is the only real place you can get if for the day. They have Hobiecat sailboats and kayaks that are free to use (only ½ hour per day for the Hobiecats per room number). You can reserve a time for both the kayaks and the Hobiecats. They open at 9 AM.

The pools seem to be everywhere. We were located near the infinity pool and I would rate it as the best of the pools. One of the buildings shades a good part of the pool in the late afternoon and there is a section always in the shade. This keeps the water cooler than the other pools especially nice in September. Around the pools they have semi shade area, but as I said, if you want shade you need to go to the beach.
We only went to one show, the Fire Show and it was very good.

The service was outstanding. In the restaurants, in the bars, and even around the pool and the beach there seemed to be ample people taking orders and delivering drinks. It truly was the best beach service I’ve ever seen at an AI. The people were all friendly and would go out of their way to help you.

Here’s where we could see room from improvement:

The beds were typical Mexican beds, that is, very hard. I like to say you can sleep on the bed or the concrete patio with equal comfort.

We did have some problems with our safe. It twice wouldn’t open. The first time they came up and fixed it. The second time they told me on the phone how to do it. I can now break into your safe at SSS.

The water at the resort had a smell to it. I would recommend that you bring enough bathing suits to have a clean one each day or when you try on your sun dried suit you won’t like how you smell.

In the mornings we would notice a sewage smell. I think they use that type of water to irrigate the lawns. It isn’t pleasant, but it goes away quickly.

The house wine isn’t very good.

We called each night for turndown service. This was after they missed the first night we were there.

Recommendations:

Bring your own floatie. The ones the hotel has are in short supply and not very good shape.

Bring plenty of your own sunscreen, aloe, and pain medication. We brought plenty of sunscreen, but Jackie got burned and the aloe at the hotel was $17 USD for a $5 bottle. We also ran out of Tylenol when we got to the airport and ended up paying $7 for 12
tablets.

If you want to do the Teppanyaki at Himitsu, you need to be there about 20 minutes to six to make your reservations. They have it on the half hour at 6:30, 7:30, 8:30, and 9:30. They have 12 people at each setting.

Ladies may want to bring a shawl if you get cold in cool air conditioning.

You may also want to bring a small flashlight for reading the menu in the restaurants. The lighting is low. Some of the waiters have them, but it helps if you have your own.

Once again, I would not hesitate going back to Secrets Silver Sands.

7 Thank goodspkr
Denver, CO
Reviewed September 15, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful trip to Secrets Silversands. About us; we’re in our early 30’s, we vacation about twice a year to primarily all inclusives. We’ve spent time at Couples, Excellence, and AM resorts properties in the past. We booked Secrets Silversands because of the deep discounts offered due to the swine flu and it being the low season. We spend about half of what we normally do on vacations and I can honestly say that this trip was on par with trips we have taken that cost twice as much.
We booked our room trough Orbitz and when we booked we also booked the private shuttle using the Grey Line. Grey Line picked us up in a white Mercedes at the airport and took us to Silversands (stopped at the gas station for beer on the way). We arrived at Secrets around 4:00 and (no champagne, maybe cause we already had beer with us) were checked in quickly and upgraded to a pool view room on the fourth floor. We were in building 2 and had a big beautiful pool just downstairs. Our room was wonderful with a comfortable bed, internet connection, big bathtub, and a most comfortable bed. The balcony was wonderful and we probably would have used it in February but in early September it was just too hot outside.
The overall layout of the hotel was wonderful. The outdoor dining was casual and the indoor dining was more formal but the indoor temperature was kept comfortable and cool. There are pools all over and it was easy to find a quite pool or one with more of an atmosphere. We like to keep to ourselves and enjoy quiet so we gravitated toward the smaller pools further away from the ocean. The beach is pretty but as everyone said it’s not the best beach due to the rocks in the water.
Food – The food overall was outstanding. Breakfast was very good with endless options on the buffet. We never ate at the buffet for lunch and instead chose to eat outside at Oceana or the Seaside grill which were both very good. The dinners were wonderful! Our favorite place for the food was Ratatouie which served wonderful seafood. Our favorite place for the ambiance and dessert was the Mexican restaurant. We never had to wait for a table but we went early every day.
Shows – We watched Fosse and it was cheesy… as is every show I have ever seen at any resort so no surprise there. Some people like them, some don’t, and we’re the kind of people who would rather read a book back at the room
Activities – The gym was wonderful! Full of new equipment, TV’s, and it was nice and cool. We received a program of activities everyday and it appeared that they all took place. One girl would run around trying to get people involved (she yells, “whoot whoot” and it sounds like MTV spring break). We didn’t participate in anything so I can’t comment. We took long walks both north and south. The walk north is easy and there and plenty of resorts along the way. The walk south is difficult for the first ¼ mile but then it opens up and it’s an easy walk on a nice beach. We walked to Puerto Morales twice which was about 1 ½ to 2 hours and we took a cab back “home”. Puerto Morales is a great little town with a town square, cold beer, good ceviche, and tourist shops.
Bars – The bars and the bartenders were great and they did a wonderful job with lots of different types of alcohol to choose from. The big disappointment for me was the beer selection. I’ve been to Dreams in Puerto Vallarta and they had at least 8 different beers to choose from while Secrets Silversands had only Corona and Negro Modello. I would have appreciated an ice cold Tacate light or some other “light” beer that was not as skunky as a full flavored Corona.
Pointers:
- Bring a pool float. There are very few here. Before I left I thought the problem was people that hoarded them (like at Excellence) but that is not the case. There are simply VERY FEW pool floats. We left ours there but I don’t know who got it.
- Come prepared with something to clean out your ears after you swim. I’ve never had an ear infection in my life (and I swim and scuba dive) and I came home with a severe ear infection caused by swimmers ear which is picked up from the bacteria in the water. I am now on antibiotics and in a lot of pain. This could be due to a number of things but if I could do it all over again I would have been prepared
- Go to the Spa for a massage. The spa was WONDERFUL and a highlight of our stay. Come early and stay late and use the facilities. Inside is a wonderful hydrospa and outside is a cool refreshing pool.
- Bring a small candle for your bathroom (toilet area is separate). It’s small with no ventilation.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them. Overall – WONDERFUL place they I would definitely visit again and recommend to a friend.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
17 Thank DenverTravelGirl
New York
Reviewed September 14, 2009

The hotel is very clean. The staff is courteous, friendly and very helpful. The food has excellent presentation and is very good to the taste. I would highly recommend this resort for persons who frequent "Adult Only" resorts. The only negative is the beach which has allot of seaweed.

3 Thank fabbat01
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed September 13, 2009

After reading the reviews over the past few months, I was thrilled with the hotel and services. Check in was easy. No drink or towel service but we did get a swim out upgrade so no big deal! Our luggage was promptly delievered and off to the pool we went!
I would recommend tipping as the workers really do a lot of work and are always trying to make sure you hae everything you need! The food was much better than expected! Guys, you do need to bring the long pants and collared shirts! You will not get in to eat (in the nice restaurants) if you don't! I think it made the night life a bit more dressy which was nice. The rooms are great, very large with jacuzzi tub for two. We did find a few mosquito's in the room but I don't think either of us left with any bites. They do provide you with sunscreen which smells yummy but doens't do much for protection. My biggest recommendation is, please remember to bring your own float..Even a cheap one and then leave it behind for someone else. It's very HOT and trust me you will want one as they only have 20 floats for the entire resort. Also, if you have an insulated cup, take it. The drinks are cold when poured but they don't stay that way long! Room service for us was fast which was nice. If you want certain things in your fridgerator just put a note above it with some money and they will fill it with what you want all week long. Don't forget a few dollars goes a long way.

7 Thank Wagsnpurs
Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Stay: Aug.29th-Sept.6th 2009

We booked a very last-minute vaction to Secrets Silversand for my wife's birthday. We previously have been to Secrets Capri twice and to Dreams Tulum, Royal Playa Del Carmen, Excellence Riviera Cancun and Excellence Playa Mujeres.

Rooms:
We booked a Sterling suite simply because it was only $70 more for the entire week. If the upgrade was any more expensive we wouldn't have taken it as the room was huge!

Our room was in building 4 on the 4th floor and facing the main pool and the ocean. Great view, great location!

The bathroom is very nice, the toilet is separated by a glass door and the shower worked great. We never had issue with water pressure or hot water.

We had a king-size bed and what a bed!!! It was SOOOOooooo comfortable! Before checking out we took the sheets off and wrote down the brand name of the matresses.

Maid service was done early every morning so that was very nice. The mini-bar wasn't replenished two of the seven days but no big deal. Ditto for turn down service, again no big deal as long as we got our "Sundial" newsletter delivered each night.

We had internet access and the speed was good, not fast but not slow. REMINDER TO ALL: it's not wireless so bring your own network cable.

We used the free in-room safe for all our valuables.

Restaurants and Bars:
We went to the World Cafe each morning for breakfast. Unlike Secrets Capri this resort doesn't have a restaurant open for à la carte breakfast. Buffet got kind of boring without it by the end of the week.

The French restaurant was good but not outstanding. The decor of the restaurant was VERY nice. However we found the tables for two to be much too close to each other and it sure takes away the romance out of the experience.

The Italian restaurant was very nice, again a very nice decor. The food was very good and we really enjoyed it.

The Mexican restaurant was really nice but the menu wasn't very elaborate. The atmosphere was fun but the food wasn't that great.

The Asian restaurant was outstanding in everything! The food, the service, the ambiance, everything was fantastic. We loved it!

The outdoor Grill restaurant was nice although the menu was quite restricted.

The outdoor Seaside restaurant was delicious.

We had very fast service in all restaurants. No reservation are required at all restaurant except if you want to sit at one of the Hibachi station in the Asian restaurant. We love not having to make dinner reservation and deciding on the spot where we would eat.

The Veranda bar and Baracuda bar were both nices places to hang out during the day or after supper but both were obviously understaffed during the day.

The Lobby bar was great. We had fantastic service from everyone there at all times. Each evening they had either a saxophone or trumpet player playing smooth music in the lobby, it was really nice.

Drinks at all bars were very well prepared and certainly not diluted.

Hint: ask for a frozen Coconut margarita at the Mexina restaurant, to die for!

Beach/Pools/Grounds:
There are six pools (that counted) and some are busier than others. The temperatue of the pools were perfect, not cold but yet still refreshing. The main pool has a pool bar and floaties. It was kind of funny to see what some people would do not to lose their floaties. We saw some hidden just about everywhere on the resort at the end of each day, too funny!

The beach wasn't nice at all but we knew that so we were not disappointed. Swimming is almost impossible becaude of all the seaweed and rocks.

There are only 9 palapas and a few palm trees on the beach. I would go reserve two chairs under a palapa each morning at 07:30 and there were always all available. Only a few chairs by the main pool would be reserved by then.

Towels were always available throughout the resort.

Other Comments:
We loved this resort! It wasn't the best resort we've been to but for the price we paid it was a fantastic trip and we're really happy we chose Secrets Silversands. I'm not sure we would return, I think we would pay a bit more and go to Secrets Maroma Beach instead.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank prrollt-Mtl
California
Reviewed September 12, 2009

We stayed at Secrets Silversands 8/24 - 28th and loved it very much. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. Salvadore, who greeted us at the front desk upgraded our room to an ocean view room that looked out over the pools, the main area of the goings'on each day, and with a gorgeous view of the turquoise ocean. We were also greeted with glasses of champagne and a very informative and friendly bell boy who helped us with our luggage to our room. The entry way towards your room is manificent with 50 foot floor to ceiling windows with a view of one of their infinity pools that seamlessly blends into the turqoise actual ocean - Breathtaking!!! Our room beckoned us with marble everywhere and a gorgous view and lovely, huge outdoor terrace. The whirlpool tub was HUGE and you could sit in it and see the ocean and watch TV if so desired at the same time! I liked that the TV was satelite and you could watch anything in enlish just like home - including CNN (If you wanted to watch TV at all!). The marble or travertine shower was just too sexy and wonderful to behold! Now we want to have ours here at home remodeled to replicate it! The bed was extremely comfortable with fantastic mattress and bedding sheets. They had a mirrored divider between the sunken tub and main bedroom if you wanted privacy and the mirrored panel could slide over in front of the bed or back over by the tub! We are not drinkers so they definitely saved a lot of money with us and hardly had to restock the mini bar except for an occasional orange juice or diet coke! We loved the food and the ambience and waiters. One evening the mariachi's sang for us and others at the mexican restaurant and that was nice. The food at all of the restaurants was good to very good. We were not dissapointed with the food at all as others have mixed opinions. We really enjoyed the morning and lunch buffets. I am not a big eater in one sitting so I enjoyed being able to pick and choose what I wanted, eating lightly, and then joining in the morning YOGA offerred by a wonderful local girl. The best part of the vacation was doing the morning yoga with the view of the beautiful ocean in the background - Ahhhh, just not the same at LA Fitness! We enjoyed kayaking and actually went beyond where we probably should have, but it didn't seem too far, out to where they took tourists snorkeling. We kayaked right along with gigantic sea turtles and other beautiful fish that we could see from atop our kayak. A small coast guard ship came and checked on us but must have felt like we knew what we were doing and left us alone. It was only about 2 miles down from the hotel. We booked a trip through the hotel's concierge to Isla Mujeres and snorkeled at Garaphon and did the Zip line which was a lot of fun. We thought the staff at Secrets Silversands was GREAT. Everyone went above and beyond to check on us and make sure that we were enjoying our stay. The Yoga girl was great and led the noon time water aeoribics also. The waiters were great and gracious also.
SPA: I did have 1 service at the spa and it was $$$ even with the hotel credits we had received as you can only use $40 of the credits at a time. A 50 min. massage still cost me about $120 dollars with the credit! Pricey. I am very used to getting massages and this was a very good massage. I would not get a massage there again, however, from the young man that was the massuese not only because of the price . . . . .
My husband and I had a wonderful time overall. We loved just about everything and I especially loved the YOGA. The gym was sort of "funky" to get to, but actually stocked with very good equipment. When I say "funky" to get to I mean it was quite far from our room, and then you entered a little hallway and climbed up stairs that did not have a railing (I've seen many staircases like this in Mexico but they are definitely not like here in US). With the entryway and the stairwell being so small and steep I didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised to find a nice gym that was large and well appointed.
The weather while we were there was very humid but the cools kept us cool and the inside was always very pleasant and beautiful. (We were there in August - and it's customarily humid then, and we knew that going in.) I also liked the daily entertainment sheet they placed under your door to let you know what was going on that day, similar to when you're on a cruise. Fairly good entertainment shows each night - we enjoyed them for the most part and what's not to like anyway - you're on vacation!! Loved the people we met there having fun. First part of the week we felt old (we're 55) and by the end of the week, as other couples came in, we felt sort of in the middle as other couples might have been in their 70's!! But by then, I felt completely stress free and tan and fit, so maybe I just felt younger!! So, what's not to like about that?! When we got home our married/grown children thought we looked 10 years younger they said!!
SUGGESTIONS: Bull doze that rocky beach so one can walk out there without killing their feet! (Bring water shoes with you!) I wish they offered a good free house wine. Their "free" wine was nasty the night I decided to have wine with my seafood.
I wish they offered lobster at least once during your stay. I wish the spa treatments weren't so expensive. I wish the tub didn't leak out an awful looking orange stuff in the water that you could see the residue of after you emptied the tub. (my husband thought it was from pipe that was not made of copper . . .hmmmm????? I didn't want to think about it much because I do LOVE my hot baths.) Fix the electricity problem in the evenings when the lights flicker and go out (happened nearly nightly while we were there.) Also I didn't like that the kayak guys had written a small sign asking for tips, and we are good tippers anyway, but I just didn't like that they were asking.
OVERALL: Great Place. Salvador, Walter, Daniel, YOGA GIRL, all very wonderful!!! Thank you Secrets Silversands - I'm telling everyone how wonderful you are so it won't be a "secret" much longer and we're planning on coming back real soon!
JF

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!