“Beautiful Hotel -a little isolated”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 22, 2009

This was a beautiful modern hotel that was very clean and the folks were friendly and helpful. The food was fabulous.

One drawback was that it is pretty far from any moderately sized cities. We didn't know that we should dress for dinner every evening and had not packed appropriately. It was far enough from Cancun and Playa Del Carmen that a taxi to go buy clothing would have been at least a $40 round trip. The gift store offerings are limited in selection and even further limited in size (models only!), so pack those dresses ladies! The isolation worked in our favor on several of the tours that we took, because they were cheaper on average from our location.

Also take lots of dollar bills for tips. While not required, everyone expects them, from the person that hands you a paper towel in the restroom to the concierge. You will receive better service if you tip!

3  Thank KeepOnTravelin58
Write a ReviewReviews (11,218)

Reviewed July 22, 2009

Don't get caught up in reviews! I think you should have to honestly describe yourself within the review so that the review would be more understandable (i.e. I am an egotistical jack[--], I am hardworking middle class, I am a lazy bum. etc.) Keep an open mind and BE on vacation! The staff was great, the facilities are beautiful, the food was incredible and the view is amazing! I will admit that they are understaffed, but the staff they have works their tails off to make sure you have a great time. I noticed some of them being the from 8AM to Midnight! We treated them with the same respect that we wanted to recieve and had the best time of our lives!!! We will definitely go back!!!

4  Thank Kenneth000
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We first visited Silversands in October 2009 and had a fantastic time, we returned once again, July 14th-20th, 2009 along with 10 friends and family. It is a fabulous resort with wonderful people! We were greeted with "Welcome Home" and champagne. Our arrival was in the morning yet all our rooms were ready and we went immediately to our rooms with our luggage within minutes. The rooms and restaurants are great, all our friends had a wonderful time. We will be back. Thank you again Salvador.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank kalane1999
Reviewed July 21, 2009

we stayed @ secrets silversands from july 16th through the20th and had anamazing time. When we arrived, we were greated by the bell boy to take our luggage, then were ased to sit down to get checked in. Champagne was brought over to us immediately and check in took 5 minutes. We then walked over to our room (after getting a drink @ the bar). the room surpassed all of our expectations - huge, clean, beautiful view. The bathroom,shower, hot tub were awesome. Very open bathroom - but it had slidding doors to allow more privacy. We had a view of the spa/pool - it was gorgeous

Pools: so manyto choose from. Had a ton of fun @ the main pool - swim up bar - a little crowded at some times. So many activities @ the pool - aerobics, water vball, spnaish lessons, beachvball, bingo, other activities. Something for everyone! Ifyou dont like the hussle and bussel of the main pool - you have 7 others to choose from! Some of the other pools are very secluded (spa pool) The inifinity pool was cooler than the others and was a nice treat during the hot afternoon. Also, i was able to get a float every day, no issue. They do collect the floats @ 5 but its justto make sure they dont lose any for the next day -no biggie.

Restaurants: Ate lunch at Oceana and Seaside Grill eahc day - they rotated daily. Awesome food! Had the Grouper and Red Snapper. They bring over nachos for an appetizer when you sit down. Avelino, the best waiter around!!! Ask for him andyouwont regret it! 1st night we had Bordeaux - duck was awesome, but that was the only thing that stood out. The restaurant was very crowded and we had to wait for 10 minutes or so - no big deal for ussince we normally have to wait hours for a table in Chicago! 2nd night - Portofino - best meal of mylife!!! This is the Italian restaurant and it was awesome. The appetizers were to die for - we had mozz/tomatoes, mussels,portabela mushroom, and trip of fish. My boyfriend had the lamb and almost ate the bones it was so good. I had a past dish - very light, not like american italian - such an amazing night!!! 3rd night - Habbachi grill - made reservations (fyi: line starts around 5:30 to make reservations, shows @ 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 and 9:30) Def worth it - awesome food. 5 course meal- the spring rolls were fricking amazing, miso soup, awesome fried rice, beef/chicken and shrimp grilled right infront of you - the grill master was good - did some tricks for us.The wait staff wasawesome - Carlos (ask for him by name and you wont regret it!) Brought over tequlia shots - or what they called mexico saki!!! :) 4th night ate at the Asian rest. again - ordered off the menu, between the bothof us we might have ordered everything!!! - very very good!

Staff -the staff was awesome - never had a problem. Our room was cleaned each day and on the last day we had towel love birds placed on our bed - nice touch. Mini fridge was filled every day but the last - no biggie we still hasd enough from the daybefore.Gave the guya couple of bucksand asked for corona and water and he filled it up - @ 1point we had 24 coronas in the fridge!!! :) Bartenders are def overworked, you had to wait for a drink, but once again ive waited longer @ a bar in Chicago to pay $15 for a drink half the size!

Beach - rocky and there was seaweed but it is beautiful to walk on - we woke upearly the last night and walked 15 minutes down the beach - very beautiful

overall - you cant go wrong.this is a place for love birds -very relaxing andcouldnt have asked for a better vacation! :)

6  Thank abbz2385
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I was very nervous about staying here after reading the reviews. Our experience at Secrets Silversand was wonderful and nothing like some of the reviews. Granted nothing is perfect, but this was pretty close. We arrived on July 1, 2009 and left on July 5, 2009. We were there over the 4th of July Holiday and did not expect anything due to that being an American holiday. The hotel decorated with American flags, had a live band playing at the main pool, played games, water volleyball, cookout (food was wonderful) and later that evening had entertainment on the beach. No fireworks but we felt it was very nice of them to celebrate with us.

The beach is very nice, water is clear but in the water it was a little rocky. The seaweed was cleaned up everyday. You could walk just a little way down the beach and find really nice spots in to swim in the ocean that was not rocky.

The service, food and entertainment was great. We had absolutely no problems.

The room was beautiful, cleaned evryday and restocked everyday.

The only downfall I felt, which was really not that big a deal is that the resort is far away from everything. For example one day we went to Xcaret (which is really nice) and it took about 45 minutes to get there and $50.00 US dollars for taxi one way, but coming back it only cost $34.00 us dollars, Hmmmm. The main thing is don't be afraid to deal.

I would recommend and would return back to this resort. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

8  Thank z021124
Reviewed July 20, 2009

This place is great for some people. Just not me. I found myself wanting to rather spend time in the Spa and my room.

When I first got there, the guy at the gate didn't believe me and my partner were guests there. We had to convince him we had decided to shell out the amount of money it takes to stay in this place (found way other more luxurious places for 1/4 theprice elsewhere that felt like paradise).

The food was really bad.

On the brightside. The spa does really rule. From the hydrotherapy circuit to the spa pool. The bar of detox drinks and snacks I still dream of... and the service is great. I went here everyday I was there. I could live in that spa. I got great massages and scrubs.

oh, and they have playboy and skinomax for those interested. and the bathtub/shower situation in the rooms are superb. If you do stay here, I recommend a room not by the big pool. One of the side rooms off the side pools would be nice... but even that's pushing it.

oh, and beaware.... on my jungle tour through aquaworld (set up by on site dive center), the driver tried to con 30 american dollars each out of me and my travel companion. then he got mad at us for not paying. the trip back was a bit weird.

oh, and the beach sucked hard. dirty with trash and plastic and seaweed. there are so many better beaches. I can't even believe they are allowed to keep it that way. they need an intervention.

4  Thank DandyLionTheCat
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Check in: about a 5 minute wait and then approx 10 minutes to check in. We were upgraded to a pool view (from a garden view), simply by presenting our Preferred number. I wouldn’t really be too consumed over an upgrade, simply because you won’t be spending a lot of time in the room. No champagne or cold towels. No biggie.

The room: much bigger than we were expecting. It was clean, but the strange thing was that it looked somewhat beat up. Didn’t have to look hard to see paint on the shower tiles, caulk on the louvered door on the closet or some rather odd scratches on the silver panels hung on the wall and ceiling. Can’t speak for any of the other rooms, but this did seem to be the trend around the rest of the property. The in-room safe looked big enough for a laptop, but we didn’t bring one so I can’t say for sure.

The pools: great! Don’t bother with the main pool. It’s warm and too crowded. It’s also where they do all the assorted water activities. The infinity pool was the best! It’s quiet and the view is great. Drink service was excellent, especially on the end closest to the beach. Keep your eyes peeled for Amanda, she was the best waitress we had the entire time! TIP: if you intend on floating in the pool all day, bring your own floatie. The ones provided by the resort are usually gone pretty early in the morning. If you manage to snag one, the staff will take it away from you if you aren’t using it! We saw it happen more than a few times.

The beach: mixed, but no surprise. The beach itself is nice. There’s not a ton of shade, so it’s perfect for the diehard sun worshippers. As has been mentioned in just about every other review, the ocean itself is a little iffy. There’s lots of seaweed and even more rocks. I don’t recall seeing anyone actually in the water the week we were there. But if you walk down past the neighboring resorts, you might be able to find a better spot to enjoy the water.

The bars: hit and miss. All of the fruity, mixed drinks are made by hand. None of those Slurpee machines cranking out banana daiquiris or whatever. But it’s a mixed blessing… there’s only one blender in each of the bars. As a result, the drink service can be pretty slow at times. The Barracuda (between the main pool and the beach) was the worst. I made one trip to the swim up bar in the main pool and it was almost as slow and quite crowded. However, the lobby bar and the one right outside the lobby doors seemed to move along pretty smoothly. TIP: If you are drinking around the pool, slip your server $5 and they will just double up all of your orders. You will never go thirsty!

The food: inconsistent. Breakfast was usually done as a buffet of pretty standard fare. The big problem was that none of the food was ever really hot (other than the omelet bar, of course). To be honest, the French toast was very, very good. But it was usually room temp at best. Same with the pancakes, scrambled eggs and assorted breakfast meats, never piping hot, lukewarm at best. There were also tamales as well as a rotation of other Mexican dishes. There was also a pretty large selection or fresh fruit as well as dry cereal. Everything was good, but could have been soooooo much better! Opinions on the restaurants varied between all the people we spoke with. Our favorite was the Mexican restaurant (El Patio). The Japanese hibachi was good, but we didn’t try anything off of the menu. The others were good, but nothing really jumps out at me at this time.

The service: mixed. I had read a lot about bad or indifferent service on other Trip Advisor reviews. The bar service was ok, but the waitress service around the pools was at times, exceptional. Breakfast service was hit and miss but the servers in the assorted restaurants were excellent. We had an issue with our room (stopped up toilet) that required a call and subsequent visit to the concierge to get it remedied (11 hours later). I heard similar grumblings from other guests that had issues with malfunctioning air conditioners and refrigerators that weren’t cold.

Summary: good but not great. For a property that’s only a year old, we couldn’t get past how rough around the edges the place was. We booked at an incredibly low rate via Orbitz, and did not get the impression that we were treated any differently than the folks that booked at higher rates. Guys, unless you want to eat at one of the outside restaurants, YOU MUST WEAR LONG PANTS TO DINNER. I like the idea of a dress code at dinner, however, I thought it was silly that they let men wear jeans. The few guys that did, looked out of place. If this is your first all inclusive resort and you got a pretty good deal on it, I think you will really enjoy it. But folks that are paying top dollar might be a little underwhelmed when they pay for a 5 star resort, and get about 3 ½ stars.

12  Thank PVPathfinder
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#5 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!