“Here's a positive review! We had a great time.”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Here's a positive review! We had a great time.”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

My husband and I spent December 10-17th at Secrets Silversands. We booked through Cheap Caribbean and had no problems with the company. When we arrived, they gave us wet towels and a glass of champagne. Took our bags out along with another couple and we had a seat in the lobby until we checked in (about a minute – not long enough to finish the chocolate chip cookie they gave us). We new the capacity was down and asked for a better room than we booked. They gave us an ocean view room instead of a garden view room. No tipping required. When they took us to our room, the bellboy described the place and his favorite things about the hotel.

Shortly after we got into our room, a room service attendant came with more champagne and fruit. Set it up nicely. We unpacked and headed out to explore.

Every night, a sheet is placed in your room with turndown service. This tells you what times events happen (yoga, bingo, volleyball, various tournaments, tastings, etc.). Every day two restaurants are closed for supper, it tells you what is open. It has a spa special of the day and an Avis car rental special of the day, too.

The room was beautiful. Never found any bugs or spiders as reported on here. They do an excellent job of cleaning. We had a male room attendant (I know some people bring things for the maid, guessing it's a female... so just be aware it could be a guy). There are two shower heads. You can block off the bathroom from the rest of the room with sliding doors. The AC turns off when you open the screen door. There are a lot of English TV channels. If you ask for an ethernet cable for your laptop in your room, you'll get it at no extra charge. My husband had a teleconference for work (ugh!) and he got this cable for free. Otherwise, leave your laptop at home and use the computers next to the concierge area for free. We left out our phone, laptop, personal things and nothing was ever touched more than to straighten it. There is a safe where you can create your own code. It won't hold a laptop, though.

Room service wasn’t piping hot, but it’s was cool either. It didn’t take long to get to the room once you order, either. The minibar includes Corona, OJ, Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Orange Fanta and bottles of Secrets water. They restock this every day. And if you want more of something, just leave them a note.

The service at the pool and the beach was amazing. It was as if as soon as we got settled in our chair, they were right there to ask if we needed something to drink or eat. And if they didn’t have it at the bar, they’d go into the restaurant to get what you want. They offered me hot tea on a cool day. And I thought it was a great idea, then I watched the waiter speed walk inside to get it. Sometimes they’d just bring us fun drinks to try without even ordering them. You can also get food here if you want. They have menus in their pockets. Do get up and go to the outdoor restaurant for lunch a few times.

Every restaurant was very nice. Complaints about small portions are not warranted. Order more if you’re not satisfied! For example, my husband ordered an appetizer that maybe had two bites worth of food. Just get something else or another one. People we met said when they said they’d share an appetizer, the waiter brought out extra food anyway. They definitely have enough food to feed you until you can’t walk!

Make sure you do the Japanese restaurant where you sit at the Hibachi grill. The more you egg on the cook, the more tricks he’ll do. Our guy really got into it because we were rowdy with him and he loved it. Could tell he likes his job. For this, you do have to check in with the hostess to set up a time. Every hour on the :30. We met up with some people we met at the resort and set up a time to go to eat with them.

There are several wines included. They had a wine tasting to try them all. They also have wines not included. They have a huge temperature-controlled wine room. Ask to go inside and check it out. Pretty neat.

The entertainment staff works hard to make sure you have a good time. They were always playing in the pool with people, bingo at the beach bar, or just chatting with people at the bar. If you’re sitting around and something is about to happen, they’ll come by and tell you. It’s not high-pressure or annoying, but it’s nice to know something is about to happen and they welcome you to join. They dance at night when the bands are outside or inside. I think they work really hard and long days.

The spa was good. We did a deal in the flyer you get in the room. It was a couples massage with a body scrub. It was great. My husband got a lady that was kind of rough. Met a few other guys who had her, too.  I also got a pedicure there, which I wasn’t too crazy about for what I paid. So just stick with massages. I get better at home for $20 honestly.

The beach, as mentioned, is rocky. So take some water shoes if you plan on walking around in it. You can walk freely up and down the beach. When you are looking at the water, head to your left. There is better beach that way. Saw lots of people with their blue Silversands towels over that way, too. Speaking of towels, no towel card to keep track of! Take as many as you want to your chair.

Take some bug spray. Pretty sure it happened at night. You’re in the middle of a marshy, swampy, jungle-y place. Be prepared and you’ll be fine. It was cool at night, so make sure you bring more than one long-sleeved shirt. I would wear summer-wear to dinner, then change after dinner into a hoodie (all I had!) because I was so cold. Had been before this time and checked online before we left, but it was too cool at night.

Vendors by the pool are aggressive. We did buy something, were comfortable with the price. But then went to the gift shop and priced there and thought we can get almost the same thing here for a little less. So we haggled the next day with the guy when he came back with the rings and to collect the other half of the money. He lowered below the gift shop. So just be sure to price the gift shops first obviously. It was our first night and we were excited, so we didn’t do it… The gift shop with all the jewelry and pottery stuff only takes cash, NO credit cards. Not sure if they have plans for the future.

There is a man who sells cigars in the lobby at night. He is very knowledgeable about them and can suggest one for you based on what you describe to him. One night he closed down and my husband and others wanted a cigar. Rodolfo (I think he’s a manager?) heard from a bartender. He sent a bellboy to the next town over to get some for the boy. Came back with four cigars for $20 for them. Which the boys thought was a good deal. Can’t get that customer service in the States.

We did tip here and there for excellent service. Not every time. I know it’s all inclusive and all, but they really went out of their way to show us a good time. When we didn’t tip, we got fine service as well. It didn’t really matter. We had some $2 bills which they loved, and consider to be lucky.

All in all we had a great time. We didn’t leave the resort to do any excursions. I know this is long and I’m sure I’m leaving a lot of information out, if you have questions, just message me. The only thing I have to compare it to is Aventura Spa Palace, which I also loved. They are very similar in food, service, etc. I would’ve liked to be able to have excursions included and stay at one play at all at Silversands, but we really didn’t have time to do much else. We stayed pretty busy right on the property every day. Also, you don’t have to wear an armband at Secrets.

Hope you have fun at Secrets Silversands. It’s a great choice. I’m frustrated with the mounds of negative reviews. It really isn’t a horrible place to go!!! I was very upset/worried/concerned before we left. I thought I made the wrong choice. But we were very happy with everything there. We liked it just as much as the Palace resorts.

• Liked — Got a good deal online, service was out of this world, the other guests were friendly, good drinks, good food.
  • Disliked — Wish it had free shuttle to sister resorts or included excursions like Palace resorts.
13 Thank gohuskers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,086)
London
Reviewed January 2, 2009

We stayed at this resort for 1 week Dec. 18 - 25 and were really impressed and can't understand why anyone could be negative on anything. The service was great, food awesome and the rooms were breathtaking.

There was a few mosquitoes but no more than you would get at home in the summer.

Our room was cleaned twice daily and we were given an upgrade on arrival which really impressed us. Rose petals on the bed at night time.

The pools were a little cool but the weather was beautiful everyday so it was nice to actually get cooled off. We loved being able to float in the pool on the lounges provided. This definately was an upgrade.

They provided lots of daily activities such as yogo, water fitness, pool or beach volleyball, spanish and dance lessons. They staff really tried to provided a variety of activities. There was also nightly enteraintment.

We really enjoyed being able to try the different restaurants each evening and would consider them "fine" dinning. Service was great and staff was very friendly. You never felt like you had to tip.

I was surprised at the beach because of some negative comments but it was great. Many staff were there for hours making sure any weeds were cleaned up and you could walk for a very long way.

I felt everything was great at this resort and would definately recommend it and would love to go back.

• Liked — Service - friendly and alway accommadating
  • Disliked — Liked everything - great resort
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank Ruthm75
southern Indiana
Reviewed December 30, 2008

My wife and I stayed 7 nights from the 22nd through the 29th of december.The room,grounds,and beach was beautiful.The food was good everywhere we ate.The people were nice (at least to your face).Service was questionable.

After the third day they quit stocking our room, and after the fourth day they quit cleaning it! We had to call every day and ask for the room to be cleaned or restocked! Every time you complane they allways give you a blank stare like they think you'r lying to them!

On the fith night we ask them to clean our room while we went to dinner at 7:00. We went back to the room about 8:30 and it still wasn't cleaned,so we went back down to the bar and then to the show.We returned about 10:30 and finally the room wes clean (BUT!!!) There was a strange pair of womans shoes on the table by the televison!We found a person from house keeping and told them that the woman who cleaned our room must have left her shoes in our room.(The only explanaiton we could come up with)
This person said "NO" and basicly turned and ran! Then we took the shoes to the concierge and told them, and got the same blank stare! (Still don't know what was up with that ! ! )

Now to the tiping part ! My wife and I like all inclusive resorts for the fact that gratuities are included an we can lock up our wallets and forget about paying for everything.We've stayed at two different sandles, a couples and secrets capri: so we're not new to this.
We have noticed people still tip at these resorts but it never effected the service,at least at the other resorts we've stayed at!
And what we've seen at silver sands is thet you'll get great service if you tip.If not you'll be treated like you'r wasting their time,You'll get the wrong or weak drinks,Maybe your room wont get stocked or cleaned.Word gets around about who tips and who dosen't ! We watched a couple who tiped get asked for drinks 7 times in one hour while we were sitting about 15 feet away and was only ask once! At one resteraunt a waiter pawned us off to a new waiter (trainee) because he knew we wern't tippers! If you'r a tipper and want to spend couple hundred bucks extra on your vacation this is the place for you !

I don't want you to think I'm a cheap skate: I do tip and tip good for the people who work for tips! But gratuities included means
you payed up front and you don't have to worry about carrying
money. All Inclusive means that all the restaurants, bars, beach, pools, activites, and entertainment are right there for you so you don't have to go anywhere. And we usually don't!

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — activites
6 Thank nxusone
new hampshire
Reviewed December 29, 2008

just spent a week at secrets silver sands returned 12 /28/2008. the rooms are nice. we had a swim out ocean view.here are a few tips on keeping your room inhabitale. we kept a wet towel at the bottom of the door every night to keep mosquitos and spiders from crawling under door. also ask house keeping for a can of raid to kill all the sand flees living in the couch and mattress.we got some nasty bites the first nite in bed. then when we bombed the room you could see them start to fly around trying to get out. we didnt move to another room heard they are all the same and now had are room clean. this was a nightly ritual but no more bites. room service was good as it should be with a hotel that was at 20 percent capacity. food was o.k. nobody got sick from eating it. buffets are adequate but nothing special. service from staff was always good and they were willing to to there best. that being said the management or lack of management at this hotel is mind numbing! entertainment at night was horrible. the best entertainment is to hang out at the main pool and watch the reaction from the guest trying to get in the pool.if you go ask the general manager to meet you for a drink at the swim up bar.

• Liked — room ocean view
  • Disliked — horrible management
3 Thank 632bigchief
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
Reviewed December 26, 2008

At the last minute I decided to get away for a few days to Secrets Silversands. I met a couple of friends there and had a great time. I travel every week and have stayed in numerous hotels and resorts and even though Silversands has a few things which need to be finished I think they are doing a great job. In August they planned a soft opening with 30% occupancy and when a sister hotel did not open they ended up with 80% percent occupancy out of the gate. A couple of weeks later another property was forced to close for a few days and Silversands was at 100% occupancy. After the "storm" passed they were able to provide the staff with more intense training and personally I think they are doing an incredible job. What I found most interesting was the food. It was incredible at each and every venue we went to. The service complimented the food. I was at the resort seven nights and after the first night I was remembered by name and I rarely had to order a drink. As I approached the bar my favorite drink was always waiting. This property is new and in fact some finishing touches are still in progress. I met several people during the week I was there and I found no one complaining. Yes the pool was cold but that is being taken care of. I think I was most impressed with the housekeeping staff. My room was serviced two times each day and was always immaculate.
I will be back as soon as possible and plan to stay here often. The entire staff was extremely helpful and made sure I had a pleasant and restful trip.

• Liked — It was extremely clean and the food was great
  • Disliked — Spa prices were a bit higher than I have seen at other resorts in the area.
8 Thank yogitrvlr
Denver
Reviewed December 26, 2008

My husband and I are travel agency owners and are currently staying at Secrets Silversands, December 22, staying for 11 nights. Originally booked Secrets Maroma but before paying final balance, saw an Apple Secrets Square Deal saving $2700 which was too good to pass up. Have stayed at the original Secrets Excellence twice before with the only complaint there being that the entertainment both in the theater and poolside was that it was way too loud. The food at Secrets Excellence was so great that I thought why not try the Square Deal.

Let me tell you, despite the newness of Secrets Silversands the staff are incredible. They are extremely attentive and sincere. The check in was smooth with our champagne in hand, and only took a few minutes. The housekeeping staff do an excellent job, absolutely no complaints.

The resort is about 20% occupied, which for us is great. No loud music around the pools, just terrific if like us you just want to veg out and regroup.

Now about the food. This is a totally different animal. The buffet food was OK, not great but the main issue is that the food that is supposed to be hot is cold, or at best lukewarm, which all of you know can lead to stomach and lower intestinal issues, which it has. Today they had about a 4# sirloin roast on the carving station that was barely cooked. They had just started carving it and it was not rare in the middle, it was RAW. I know because I can and do eat steak tartare which is raw and I like my steak and prime rib rare. Not only was it raw, it was ice cold and it was sitting under a heat lamp. They had a grill going all the time but there was no one to ask if I could have just a piece of fish thrown on the grill without all the stuff they added. They had what they called grilled fish on the steam table but it was not grilled it was coated and fried in fat, which my cardiologist does not like me to eat.

The first night I was so excited to go to the french restaurant called Bordeaux, but to my horror the food all seemed to have not a french slant but a mexican one. My filet was all greasy and served on a bed of bell pepper-laden ratatouille, which I don't recall them mentioning on the menu. My husband had a bowl of bouillabaise which is french seafood soup. It came served as 2 medium sized shirmp in a bowl, over which the waiter poured a small pitcher of flavorful tomato stock. That is not what they served at Secrets Excellence. The soup there had mussels, clams, shrimp, pieces of fish, and calamari among other things like veggies.

The only food we found to be served at the Seaside Grill for lunch was sandwiches and their weird idea of fajitas which consisted of fajita material wrapped in a flour tortilla and deep fat fried.

We spoke with Silvestre who was supposedly in charge of the restaurants and made sure that he was made aware of the food issues we encountered but two days later there were no changes.

Rest assured as soon as we have knowledge that these issues are dealt with we will be sending clients down there, but not until that time.

OK,also the beach is not great, but if you are content with several pools and a fabulous view, you'll do fine.

Feel free to contact me for additional info at [-]

• Liked — view and accommodations
  • Disliked — food
2 Thank Sunnyejoy
Boston
Reviewed December 26, 2008

My GF and I recently returned from a short 4 day stay during the 3rd week of December 2008. I was somewhat concerned prior to arriving given all the negative reviews. Personally, we enjoyed the stay. We stayed in the Sterling Junior Suite Oceanview. Very spacious, nice view of the main pool and ocean, clean, and timely room service. No problems with noise from any of the bars.

Also, regarding mosquitos, didn't notice any (brought bug spray just in case). The resort though is adjacent to swampy marsh land so maybe in buildings situated near this, mosquitos could be a problem.

For dining, we ate at the World Cafe and Seaside Grill for breakfast and lunch. The buffet was decent with a good selection. For dinner, we tried Bordeaux and Portofino, both good and acceptable for an all inclusive. The latter two restaurants have a grand piano each which the staff allowed my GF to play during dinner or any time during the day. The resort also does have a pianist employed for the nightly music.

Regarding the pools, I swam in 5 out of the 8 pools. No problems with the water temperature . I'm not sure if it's heated or not though. The main pool is rather shallow. The pool surrounding the spa was a little empty from evaporation and needed some refilling. Otherwise, the infinity pool was relaxing, 1.3m deep, and long enough to do laps.

The beach is, as previously stated, mediocre at best. It certainly is not Fiji or Bora Bora. I didn't bother swimming in the ocean given the rocks and seaweeds. Ocean sports we didn't try.

I can't speak on the resort's organized entertainment as we just kept ourselves busy and entertained ourselves. I utilized the gym daily. It was your standard run-of-the-mill gym with Life Fitness equipment and standard free weights. The tennis court was in tip top shape and appeared sparsely used. There is a business center with complimentary internet use to check your email, etc. Did play some large size chess and table tennis, both of which were fun. Also, did visit the resort crocodile (I think its salt water swamps) who hangs out in the swamp in front of the resort. If you come in the mornings, you can watch the staff feed them.

Regarding service, we had no problems there. We did tip regularly although I have to say it seemed most guests, both American and Europeans, didn't seem to tip. The staff was very friendly to all regardless, and at least in the pool areas, staff were constantly walking about and asking everyone if they would like more drinks, food, etc. We're not much in the way of EtOH consumers but the mixed drinks we asked for, we got and they didn't taste watered down.

Overall, we both very much enjoyed our stay at Secrets. This is our first time at a Secrets/Dreams/AMResorts facility but we have stayed in various Riu Palaces, Hiltons, Westins, Omnis, and Four Seasons by comparison. I would say this place is a 4 diamond/4 star level and recommend it for those who need a few days of quiet R and R.

8 Thank Arnold73
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,574 reviews

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!