“A DREAM HOLIDAY” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Guelph, Canada
“A DREAM HOLIDAY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Talk about a relaxing vacation, it was here at Secrets Silversands. I would like to take this opportunity to say what a fantastic experience it was to get there, and find out we had been upgraded to PREFERRED status, We were treated royally by ALL staff who were very helpful and resectful. Mary and I wish to thank each one of you for your service. We would love to mention all of you individually but do not care to single you out. You know who you are the people of the preferred lounge....from every restaurant and bar. Another reason is, I do not remember all your names. The reason this resort works so well is that they work as a team. For that reason, I would like to mention a special thanks to their team leader, Javier Estilrich-Grl Mgr. To all of you...GRACIAS & ASTA LA VISTA...Looking forward to next time, warm regards...Dirk & Mary Sepers Stayed Dec2-16.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dirk S
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/eConcierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Dirk S,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your recent experience at Secrets Silversands.

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed our staff’s attentive service and our very famous Club Preferred, we are very proud of Fahdir the Club Preferred Manager because he is doing a great job. Our leader Javier Estelrich chose very well and he is always working very hard with us. He is also very famous because he remembers all the names.

Once again, we thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of your experience with us.

We look forward to have the pleasure of hosting you back in the near future.

Best regards,

Aldo Delgado Betancourt
Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge
Info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,992)
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I do not know where to begin so I will try to be concise and descriptive. Our biggest surprise was the 100% LGBT friendly atmosphere that we encountered. We felt beyond welcome and comfortable. I would like to give a special thumbs up to Jackie, one of the Guest Event coordinators. She had a wonderful engaging attitude and really did a great job getting guests to join in activities. My fiancee and I had the best time playing pool volleyball! I would also like to say thank you to all the wonderful waitstaff. Special thumbs up to Victor and Natalio! The entertainment and variety was great. The variety in genres, music, and content was welcome. There are so many pools that we did not have time to visit them all. Love! The swim up bar is fun but the only downside is that it never sees the sun. The hotel grounds and the buildings are exactly as they appear in the pictures. Getting the preferred VIP package was worth every penny. Expedited check in and check out with all the extra perks and amenities made for a much better vacation. Comment about check in, we did not appreciate the attempt to set us up in a timeshare as part of the check in process. We were tired from our early AM flight, hungry, thirsty and just wanted to get to our room. Would suggest a better way to incorporate the time sharing sales attempt. Worth mentioning that all staff are trained to continually "upsell" on extra amenities, dinners, massages etc. It is a smart way to drive revenue for the property. As much as I do not like being sold to on vacation, I will commend the staff. It is obvious they have been given good sales training and for the most part are very subtle and not pushy. Only on one evening did I have a little bit of a "pushy" experience. I requested a specific tequila for dinner. It was not available and the restaurant manager wanted to "sell" me another tequila. I politely declined several times. It was a bit uncomfortable and awkward to find myself at a romantic dinner with my fiancee facing a "pushy salesman". Worth mentioning is the constant and steady maintenance and upkeep given to the property as a whole. There is an army of people that keep this place looking fabulous. I want to make sure and give them a thumbs up for all their hard work. They are the unsung heroes. Their presence was constant and yet hardly noticeable. Also very important is the cleaning crew. We wish we knew the person in charge of cleaning our room. Whoever that person was, they did an exceptional job! Our room was also clean and tidy. Food was overall great! For breakfast one morning I requested an ingredient for my omelet that was not on hand. The chef at the omelet station actually had the ingredient ordered and made sure the following morning I had my omelet with huitlacoche. The staff consistently went out of their way to make sure we felt welcome and at home. I took advantage of a massage and the spa. So worth doing! We kayaked, used the putting range, played life size checkers, enjoyed movie night, walked along the beach, saw some of the live shows, etc. etc. The list goes on! We never left the resort nor felt the need to. It really was an all inclusive experience from all facets. We hope to return someday in the not too distant future to enjoy another memorable Thanksgiving Holiday in Mexico!

Room Tip: Oceanfront preferred VIP room was worth every penny! The view was everything it should be. Loved fal...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ErikaPChicago
Dear ErikaPChicago,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed overview of your stay through this mean.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a most pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

Our guest’s feedback is truly important for us and we will consciously revise all of your remarks. We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

Best wishes,

Aldo Delgado Betancourt
Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge
Info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

One of the best all-inclusive resorts we have been. The resort was pretty clean, the landscaping was beautiful, the pools were Great. Only disappointment was the beach. The ocean was dirty and could not go into the water. The pools made up for it but it would have been nice to have clear blue water as advertised. Overall a great place for the money.

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Lvetravellin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

This place is amazing! We've stayed at the secrets Jamaica & this place is hands down designed better. Although both have great service the Silver-sands pride it's self on making you feel like your "home". Arturo was very good with his service and he made us feel comfortable. We had room service catered to us by Bermar Hernandez & he was very professional! Overall this place was amazing!

• Stayed December 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

This was my wife's first trip to Mexico. I have been 10+ times over the last 10 years and its still a country I enjoy exploring and always find something new to try. So, on to the hotel.....

We chose Secrets Silversands at the advice of American Express Travel Services. When I originally called to book our trip I had another hotel in mind and they suggested this one as it was more geared towards couples. As with every hotel, or all inclusive resort, there are numerous things that go into making a resort "great." For me, they are location, staff/service, room, food, and amenities.

Location wise this hotel does fairly well. It is close enough to Cancun where you don't spend an entire day/night getting here from the hotel, but it is far enough away where you don't have all the "city" feel of Cancun. The only downside to the location is the beach. For those of you who don't know, the Yucatan is a giant limestone shelf. Just beneath the surface here is rock. The beach here is VERY rocky and not suitable for swimming. We don't care about swimming in the ocean, so it wasn't a deal breaker for us. You are about 1hr from Tulum and 40 mins from Cancun by Taxi.

The staff and service here are what makes this a 4 circle spot. They are EXTREMELY friendly. Every staff member seems to always have a smile on their face and always greet you when you pass. They will call you a few times after you arrive which can be annoying if you are trying to get settled, but it wasn't anything that really bothered me. Service wise, its Mexico. As an American who has traveled the world, 47 countries, I always remind myself that I am not in the US when I travel. We are far to accustomed to asking and receiving that instant. When you order a drink here it takes a bit. They are on Mexico time, and after all, its a vacation, not a rat race for me. It encourages me to "slow down" and relax. Service at the restaurants (5 of them) is good. The staff are very attentive to your needs and always ask if you need something. This carries over to the Spa as well.

The room was the only let down for me here. I would equate the room to a Holiday Inn dressed in modern cloths. You can tell that this is an older resort by the rooms. The A/C worked well for our entire stay, the fridge kept the drinks cold, and the bathroom was great. Actually, if the rest of the room looked as nice as the bathroom I wouldn't have been able to say anything bad. The lamps on the nightstands didn't match and were old. The lamp next to the sofa was old as well and had corrosion on it. The light over the table had fallen out of the ceiling and pointed to a corner which made it almost useless. They have installed some strange lighting in the divider in the room and over the bed. It felt very 70's "vibrating bed" to me with all the mood lighting. Overall, the fit and polish of the room was substandard. But, I have to qualify that I felt like the room was adequate for the price that we paid for 5 nights. If you normally stay at the Waldorf then you will be disappointed with this room. If you don't mind crashing at the Holiday Inn then you will be perfectly happy with the room.

I thought the food was great. Don't get me wrong, the food isn't anything that Ramsey or Robuchon are going to write home about, but we found the breadth of choices to be entertaining. They have a buffet for breakfast and lunch that is certain to fill you up. You can also order room service 24hrs a day. We ate at the restaurants every night for dinner and either had the buffet or room service for lunch. I had everything from Filet Mignon to Waffles and everything was cooked perfectly. I had flank steak for lunch one day and if it had been a thicker cut I would have sworn it was a filet. The "Mexican" food was great and allowed us to try some things I wouldn't have. We were here for Christmas. They had a special dinner on Christmas Eve that had at least 50 or 60 different choices. Everything on the Christmas dinner buffet was excellent.

Amenities wise there isn't much here. They do have hobie cats, canoes, and of course pools everywhere, but there isn't really much to do in the area outside of the hotel without having to take a taxi. I would have like to seen a "pool scuba" type thing and some more stuff like that. They do push "AquaWorld" services here and have guides on the property if you want to check it out. I do feel the need to include bars in this category. They have a bar everywhere you look. You are never more than 100ft from a cold beverage. All of them are great and make great drinks. The bar next to the beach is the slowest out of the all though. Expect to stand around and wait even if the bar is empty.

All in all I think this place was great. We had a good time here and the value price we paid was more than worth it. Round trip airfare from Raleigh and 5 nights set us back $3,000 US. We both feel like we got our money's worth and would pay the same to come back down in the future. The only reason I wouldn't give the hotel 5 circles is due to the room and the rocky beach. I would recommend this place to any of my friends who want to take a value oriented trip to Mexico.

Room Tip: We were in building 1 with a pool view room. We faced the side of the property and were fine with t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Matthew T
Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

We arrived in Mexico on the 5th of December 2013 originally to the Vine hotel in Cancun, to enable us to attend a special family event at a hotel near by. We are keen Secrets travellers staying previously at Secrets Wild Orchid in Jamaica and the Silversands twice. We were very disappointed at the layout and lack of attention to detail in the Vine, the preference by managers to be served in outlets before guests was somewhat disappointing. The site of managers having breakfast at a large table every morning was truly unprofessional. We travel with my elderly mother who has arthritis and it became clear at the onset that the hotel had been designed for younger guests in mind, chairs etc were to low down for her to get up from. She could not go to the preferred club after dinner because it closed at 9pm, it appeared to have been created out of a lobby on the 21st floor and had no dedicated toilets, so you had to go to your room or down to the lobby to use the toilet. Not a feature that was illustrated in the information available, or what we experienced in other Secrets resorts.

Given that we experienced first class service particularly by the front desk manager Roger Carrillo L of the Silversands in the past, we had arranged to visit Roger and the team during our stay. Roger contacted us to see when we were going to visit them for the day as we had agreed. My mother in law has never been so happy to hear Roger’s welcome voice, he as always gave us some good sound advice, we spoke to the front desk deputy manager at the Vine and got moved the next day to the Silversands, the experience was the difference between night and day. Roger and the team had in a very short space of time pulled together a first class greeting, the bell boys – Arthour, Joshua and Israel welcomed us with open arms. We were taken to our room which had breath taking view of the ocean, and was very well appointed for our needs

Thank you Roger for your kindness and thoughtfulness in making an old lady and her family very happy, you are clearly excellent in your role and very customer focused.

My mother could now enjoy her stay with ease and not having the embarrassment of having the family helping her to get out of the chairs. The room was first class, spacious and overall welcoming and had an attention to detail that was missing at the Vine.

The service as always was excellent no matter where we went or what restaurant we were in, the service that we received throughout our stay was top notch, staff were attentive, friendly and well trained. They know how to make your stay feel special. The coffee shop was great, Esther greeted me every day with a smile and had my coffee order ready without delay.

Room service, cleaning of the room were both excellent as was the service around the pool, Mercedes always made sure mum had her rum punch, she had a lovely smile that brightened up our day.

The spa was excellent and we enjoyed the treatment we got , the staff were very professional and friendly.

Josh and Incentie from the preferred club lounge always had a warm greeting for us when we went in, making sure that strawberries were available for me and Baileys coffee for my mum. They are both exceptional member of staff who should be praised for their attention to detail

Silversands clearly has a competent and dedicated management team which ensures all staff are there to make the guests feel welcome and at home. The General Manager was seen frequently touring the site and talking to guests whilst ensuring everything was in order. The Head Chef Jose did the same in the restaurants and spoke to us frequently during our stay.

All in all the Silversands is a superb hotel thanks to the staff, making it a great holiday for us, well done everyone at the Silversands. We look forward to returning again in 2014. Roger, if you do not mind we will contact you for your expert advice on arranging this next trip which we are looking forward to already. See you soon……..

Henry Hannah

Room Tip: Contact the front desk manager Roger Carrillo L who is very helpful.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank zerogully
Aurora
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Good resort If looking to relax , no problem with the service and all the food compared well to other all inclusive resorts we have stayed at . For the formal dining ; we found the Japanese the best . Liked the pool cafe for lunch over the buffet with the shrimp tacos quickly becoming the lunch of choice . Really liked the movies played outside to start the evening other than that only briefly saw the entertainment ; looked similar to other resorts . Staff were very friendly even opening up the bar early so I could watch a soccer game . No real complaints at all . Not the best beach in the world - rocks and seaweed , but they work hard to keep the actual beach clear : not saying I would return every year but I would recommend giving silver sands a try.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Morelos
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#56 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
#9 of 26 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 8,074 reviews
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!