“A Late Honeymoon and Vacation”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Raleigh, North Carolina
“A Late Honeymoon and Vacation”
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This was my wife's first trip to Mexico. I have been 10+ times over the last 10 years and its still a country I enjoy exploring and always find something new to try. So, on to the hotel.....

We chose Secrets Silversands at the advice of American Express Travel Services. When I originally called to book our trip I had another hotel in mind and they suggested this one as it was more geared towards couples. As with every hotel, or all inclusive resort, there are numerous things that go into making a resort "great." For me, they are location, staff/service, room, food, and amenities.

Location wise this hotel does fairly well. It is close enough to Cancun where you don't spend an entire day/night getting here from the hotel, but it is far enough away where you don't have all the "city" feel of Cancun. The only downside to the location is the beach. For those of you who don't know, the Yucatan is a giant limestone shelf. Just beneath the surface here is rock. The beach here is VERY rocky and not suitable for swimming. We don't care about swimming in the ocean, so it wasn't a deal breaker for us. You are about 1hr from Tulum and 40 mins from Cancun by Taxi.

The staff and service here are what makes this a 4 circle spot. They are EXTREMELY friendly. Every staff member seems to always have a smile on their face and always greet you when you pass. They will call you a few times after you arrive which can be annoying if you are trying to get settled, but it wasn't anything that really bothered me. Service wise, its Mexico. As an American who has traveled the world, 47 countries, I always remind myself that I am not in the US when I travel. We are far to accustomed to asking and receiving that instant. When you order a drink here it takes a bit. They are on Mexico time, and after all, its a vacation, not a rat race for me. It encourages me to "slow down" and relax. Service at the restaurants (5 of them) is good. The staff are very attentive to your needs and always ask if you need something. This carries over to the Spa as well.

The room was the only let down for me here. I would equate the room to a Holiday Inn dressed in modern cloths. You can tell that this is an older resort by the rooms. The A/C worked well for our entire stay, the fridge kept the drinks cold, and the bathroom was great. Actually, if the rest of the room looked as nice as the bathroom I wouldn't have been able to say anything bad. The lamps on the nightstands didn't match and were old. The lamp next to the sofa was old as well and had corrosion on it. The light over the table had fallen out of the ceiling and pointed to a corner which made it almost useless. They have installed some strange lighting in the divider in the room and over the bed. It felt very 70's "vibrating bed" to me with all the mood lighting. Overall, the fit and polish of the room was substandard. But, I have to qualify that I felt like the room was adequate for the price that we paid for 5 nights. If you normally stay at the Waldorf then you will be disappointed with this room. If you don't mind crashing at the Holiday Inn then you will be perfectly happy with the room.

I thought the food was great. Don't get me wrong, the food isn't anything that Ramsey or Robuchon are going to write home about, but we found the breadth of choices to be entertaining. They have a buffet for breakfast and lunch that is certain to fill you up. You can also order room service 24hrs a day. We ate at the restaurants every night for dinner and either had the buffet or room service for lunch. I had everything from Filet Mignon to Waffles and everything was cooked perfectly. I had flank steak for lunch one day and if it had been a thicker cut I would have sworn it was a filet. The "Mexican" food was great and allowed us to try some things I wouldn't have. We were here for Christmas. They had a special dinner on Christmas Eve that had at least 50 or 60 different choices. Everything on the Christmas dinner buffet was excellent.

Amenities wise there isn't much here. They do have hobie cats, canoes, and of course pools everywhere, but there isn't really much to do in the area outside of the hotel without having to take a taxi. I would have like to seen a "pool scuba" type thing and some more stuff like that. They do push "AquaWorld" services here and have guides on the property if you want to check it out. I do feel the need to include bars in this category. They have a bar everywhere you look. You are never more than 100ft from a cold beverage. All of them are great and make great drinks. The bar next to the beach is the slowest out of the all though. Expect to stand around and wait even if the bar is empty.

All in all I think this place was great. We had a good time here and the value price we paid was more than worth it. Round trip airfare from Raleigh and 5 nights set us back $3,000 US. We both feel like we got our money's worth and would pay the same to come back down in the future. The only reason I wouldn't give the hotel 5 circles is due to the room and the rocky beach. I would recommend this place to any of my friends who want to take a value oriented trip to Mexico.

Room Tip: We were in building 1 with a pool view room. We faced the side of the property and were fine with t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Matthew T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,152)
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We arrived in Mexico on the 5th of December 2013 originally to the Vine hotel in Cancun, to enable us to attend a special family event at a hotel near by. We are keen Secrets travellers staying previously at Secrets Wild Orchid in Jamaica and the Silversands twice. We were very disappointed at the layout and lack of attention to detail in the Vine, the preference by managers to be served in outlets before guests was somewhat disappointing. The site of managers having breakfast at a large table every morning was truly unprofessional. We travel with my elderly mother who has arthritis and it became clear at the onset that the hotel had been designed for younger guests in mind, chairs etc were to low down for her to get up from. She could not go to the preferred club after dinner because it closed at 9pm, it appeared to have been created out of a lobby on the 21st floor and had no dedicated toilets, so you had to go to your room or down to the lobby to use the toilet. Not a feature that was illustrated in the information available, or what we experienced in other Secrets resorts.

Given that we experienced first class service particularly by the front desk manager Roger Carrillo L of the Silversands in the past, we had arranged to visit Roger and the team during our stay. Roger contacted us to see when we were going to visit them for the day as we had agreed. My mother in law has never been so happy to hear Roger’s welcome voice, he as always gave us some good sound advice, we spoke to the front desk deputy manager at the Vine and got moved the next day to the Silversands, the experience was the difference between night and day. Roger and the team had in a very short space of time pulled together a first class greeting, the bell boys – Arthour, Joshua and Israel welcomed us with open arms. We were taken to our room which had breath taking view of the ocean, and was very well appointed for our needs

Thank you Roger for your kindness and thoughtfulness in making an old lady and her family very happy, you are clearly excellent in your role and very customer focused.

My mother could now enjoy her stay with ease and not having the embarrassment of having the family helping her to get out of the chairs. The room was first class, spacious and overall welcoming and had an attention to detail that was missing at the Vine.

The service as always was excellent no matter where we went or what restaurant we were in, the service that we received throughout our stay was top notch, staff were attentive, friendly and well trained. They know how to make your stay feel special. The coffee shop was great, Esther greeted me every day with a smile and had my coffee order ready without delay.

Room service, cleaning of the room were both excellent as was the service around the pool, Mercedes always made sure mum had her rum punch, she had a lovely smile that brightened up our day.

The spa was excellent and we enjoyed the treatment we got , the staff were very professional and friendly.

Josh and Incentie from the preferred club lounge always had a warm greeting for us when we went in, making sure that strawberries were available for me and Baileys coffee for my mum. They are both exceptional member of staff who should be praised for their attention to detail

Silversands clearly has a competent and dedicated management team which ensures all staff are there to make the guests feel welcome and at home. The General Manager was seen frequently touring the site and talking to guests whilst ensuring everything was in order. The Head Chef Jose did the same in the restaurants and spoke to us frequently during our stay.

All in all the Silversands is a superb hotel thanks to the staff, making it a great holiday for us, well done everyone at the Silversands. We look forward to returning again in 2014. Roger, if you do not mind we will contact you for your expert advice on arranging this next trip which we are looking forward to already. See you soon……..

Henry Hannah

Room Tip: Contact the front desk manager Roger Carrillo L who is very helpful.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank zerogully
Aurora
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

Good resort If looking to relax , no problem with the service and all the food compared well to other all inclusive resorts we have stayed at . For the formal dining ; we found the Japanese the best . Liked the pool cafe for lunch over the buffet with the shrimp tacos quickly becoming the lunch of choice . Really liked the movies played outside to start the evening other than that only briefly saw the entertainment ; looked similar to other resorts . Staff were very friendly even opening up the bar early so I could watch a soccer game . No real complaints at all . Not the best beach in the world - rocks and seaweed , but they work hard to keep the actual beach clear : not saying I would return every year but I would recommend giving silver sands a try.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed December 24, 2013

My wife and I went to Secret Silversands in March of 2011 for our first vacation to an all inclusive resort. Normally we are more of the active vacation type, but we felt like we needed a relaxing vacation, and this resort was perfect for us. From the time we checked in with a champagne reception to the time we checked out, where they held the bus to the airport for me because I was running a bit late, the entire stay was perfect.

If you're a connoisseur of fine food, all the restaurants here are excellent. I was not disappointed once with any of the meals we had. Breakfast is a buffet, but lunch and dinner are A La Carte with no reservations necessary (unlike a lot of other resorts from what I hear).There is a dress code for the restaurants and it is enforced, so please read up on what that is before your stay. You can even take part in a tour of the kitchens of all the restaurants and they make samples just for you.

There is no shortage of things to do at the resort. My wife and I were worried that we would be bored after a couple days, but Alex, JC, and the rest of the entertainment crew were fantastic. There are activities and games to play throughout the entire day, and a show to attend each night. If you don't feel like staying on the resort, they do arrange outings to certain attractions of the grounds. We went to CocoBongo in Playa Del Carmen. If you have the chance to go, I highly recommend it. Excellent show and one of the most fun nights of my life.

There are a lot of chairs on the beach. They do get taken quite quickly. We are not really "beach bums" so it didn't concern us too much, but when we did want a chair on the beach, we did have to wait a few minutes. My only criticism of this entire place was that the beach wasn't pristine white sand like you might find at other places. There is seaweed that washes up on the beach each morning, but they do groom it often, so it's not really a big concern. Don't let it detract from how wonderful this resort really is.

I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a fun and relaxing vacation. It is truly a five star adults only all inclusive resort. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We stayed in a pool view room and found it just fine. We weren't in our room much, so it really...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/eConcierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear CanTravel4ever,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your gateway in 2011 to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a most pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We appreciate your trust, and we’ll do our best to continue to give you the kind of service you deserve.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back for another round of a wonderful stay for many years to come.

Best regards from Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun team.

Aldo Delgado Betancourt
Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge
Info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Myself and my husband have just returned from our honeymoon at Secrets Silversands. I very rarely write reviews but after staying here I feel that I must. This all inclusive hotel fully exceeded our expectations. The biggest asset this hotel has is it's staff. They are so friendly and cannot do enough. On arrival we were upgraded to the honeymoon suite, an amazing apartment with a view of the ocean.
The staff in the preferred club were excellent, especially the manager Fadhir Rubi. He has great interpersonal skills and he went out of his way to ensure that we had the best honeymoon experience possible.

The restaurants in this place are some of the best places I have EVER eaten. Amazing 5* fine dining cuisine. My favourite was Portofino and once again the manager there, Juan Jose was exceptional. A very friendly, kind and customer focused man who consistently ensured our satisfaction.

The housekeeping staff are also very friendly and do a great job. We loved coming back to the wonderful rose petal decorations in our suite.

There are just too many great staff members to name individually and a lot of great aspects to this resort. It's one of the best I've ever stayed at and would return and recommend Secrets to all.

• Stayed December 2013
Chester
Reviewed December 24, 2013

We have recently returned from Secrets Silversands (11th Dec). This was is our 8th time to the Riviera Maya and 1st time to Secrets Silversands. We have been to some fabulous resorts, including Secrets Maroma, the Excellence (twice), iberostar and El Dorado Royale to name a few, so we have high expectations....

This is not the best resort we have ever been to in the area but we knew competition would be tough. However, this place would definitely fall in the top few. It was value for money and had a fantastic holiday and were not disappointed at all!

I will just run through some points both myself and partner noted;

Beach/Pools - We are more beach people as we like the breeze. The beach is not as bad as reviews state. The beach itself is very nice. The water is murky and rocky so difficult to swim in
Pools - did not use them but there were several ranging from busy (Lots of rowdy Americans) to quiet and tranquil so I would say very good for pool lovers!
One thing I'd like to note is sun loungers - Not the most comfy! Secrets Maroma had cushioned beds throughout the whole resort. Not a major thing but nice, especially if you fancy a afternoon siesta?

Rooms – We were initially put in block 4 which was right by some water generator that was switched on in early hours of the morning. We were unhappy with the noise so asked to move and the put us in block 2 – far quieter. Rooms were very nice, modern and spacious. We loved the décor. A snag, no reading lights and curtains don't close properly so light comes blazing through at 5:30am!!

Food - Overall very good. I didn't have a bad meal. Breakfast, good wide choice. Can't go wrong! Evening, French and Mexican were our favourites. Oceana and the Meditteranean were also very good. Lunch, a little disappointed. The buffet was decent enough but we felt the a la carte side was very limited. When we were at Maroma beach we found the menu much more extensive and 'overall' quality far better

Drinks – All good. Premium brands – though sometimes you need to ask. House wine is very good. One issue – plastic glasses on an evening??? I have put my best dress on, in lobby bar only to be served in plastic? This is dependent on server, in most cases you will get glass, if not ask them to change!!

Staff - Amazing. Really friendly, super efficient and a pleasure to be served by.Service on the beach/pool is very good - do not have to wait long fot top ups!!!
Special mentions to Isius and Alberto (Lobby bar) - So funny. Complete quality. Avelino (not sure I have spelt your name correct, sorry), the main man, at World café, alongside Rene and Vanessa. Russell at the Mexican, Lazaro at the French, Alonso at beach bar and Mercedes and Leonardo beach waiting. Photos on their way…

As experienced travellers to The Riviera Maya we were very happy. I would rate it 5 stars due to overall quality and definite value for Money.

As far as it rates to other resorts - very good. Secrets Maroma wins first place though, and the Excellence probably beats this (just) too.
Any questions feel free to mail me

Room Tip: Avoid 4 - I believe 3 isn't great either
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lllllchester
Dear lllllchester,

On behalf of the staff and Management of our resort we would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience with us. It was a pleasure being your hosts during your recent gateway to the Mexican Caribbean.

Many thanks for taking the time to leave your kind words and observations following your recent stay with us at Secrets Silversands.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back, allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience.

Aldo Delgado Betancourt
Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge
Info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Secrets Silversands recently & had a great holiday! Every detail at the hotel is perfect...spacious rooms, great service from all the staff, fantastic choice & quality of food...the list goes on! Spa was excellent,although a bit pricey-we were given 200 dollars of resort vouchers but could only use 40 dollars at a time in the spa, so not much of an incentive!
All in all a great holiday that I would throughly recommend!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!