“Excellente 9 day vacation”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellente 9 day vacation”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

We stayed at SSS from Oct.11 through Oct. 20 celebrating our 13th anniversary. We had a fantastic room in the Preferred Club overlooking the beach and infinity pool. Our room was always cleaned with plenty of fresh towels. The mini fridge was stocked daily with beer, water, and soft drinks. On the table, they provided mini bottles of vodka, scotch and rum along with some snack food and candy. Our bed and tub was decorated with rose petals the evening of our anniversary.

The eight pools were nice. We spent most of our time by the main pool, but also enjoyed the infinity pool. The number of pools allowed for you to be involved with the activities at the main pool or find a quiet pool to relax.

The food was very good and I can't say we had a bad meal. The breakfast buffet had something for everyone. I suggest trying the green juice. We had a chance to eat at every restaurant and enjoyed them all. I think we had our best meal at Bordeaux. Our server, who has worked at SSS since it opened, was the best. He would do anything you asked. My wife is mostly vegetarian and was thrilled to find a vegetarian item on every menu. We also really enjoyed Himitsu. We ate lunch at Seaside Grill and Oceania where the fish was always excellent. Occasionally, we would eat lunch at the Barefoot Bar where they server burgers, chicken, etc. We didn't feel the portions were small. There was plenty of food available all day that you could never go hungry. Room service is also available.

We scheduled a romantic dinner on the beach. I think everyone should try this one evening. The dinner and service were fantastic. The service provided by Antonio and Francisco ("Pancho Queso") was over the top. You get to pick your menu when you book the dinner and they will modify the menu to accommodate your needs.

We took a lot of $1 and $5 bills for tipping. The tip was appreciated but never expected. We enjoy great service and didn't mind tipping. The staff works really hard to make your stay great.

We liked the small size and adults only features of this resort. SSS is close to the airport so you are enjoying the resort shortly after landing. The beach is nice, but not great. We prefer the pool so this wasn't an issue for us.

The entertainment staff is great. There is a show every evening followed by live music after the show each night.

While the entire staff is great, I need to recognize a few that made our trip special.
Karina - Drinks by the pool.
Josh - Hosted a great Tequila tasting class.
Juan("Valdez") - Breakfast with a smile.
Estephanie and Artyno (I'm not sure I have the correct spelling - Teppianyaki chef) - Kitchen tour.
Victor - Pool bar.
Israel - Porter.

This is our second Secrets resort vacation. Our last stay was at Secrets Capri a few years back. We like SSS better.

Room Tip: Upgrade to oceanfront, it is worth it!
2 Thank LouRod17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,110)
San Ramon, California
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our second trip at this awesome resort. We travel extensively so for us to give a 5 star the resort has to be top notch. You will not be disappointed! Stay in the Preferred Club area to make it extra special. The staff are great, you can stay busy or just chill and relax at the infinity pool. Food is prepared fresh to order except for parts of the breakfast buffet (which changes daily). Fresh fish, fruit & veggies and of course excellent deserts! All the specialty restaurants have a unique flare. I always inquire with the staff as to a house specialty. Rooms have a large Jacuzzi tub, large glass shower with two shower heads, separate living area to chill & large veranda. We have booked with Kelly at Berwick Travel for all of our Secrets travels and she really knows her stuff! She goes the extra mile to find you the best rate. Adults only is the only way to go!!

Room Tip: Preferred Club with view.
8 Thank Diana K
Brighton
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed at this resort in October for a convention and this was probably the nicest resort I have vacationed at in all my travels to date..the hotel is just beautiful and spotless...the gorgeous rooms with the pillow top beds and duvets with covers that they change for each guest. also came with housecoats and slippers...6 large bath towels...larger premium bottles of shampoo, conditioners and more....wifi in the rooms and satellite tv....the staff and service around the pools and bars was outstanding.....they were everywhere ....always asking if you wanted a drink and making sure you had everything you needed ..the drinks were made with premium alcohol.and fresh mixes ....the frozen fruity drinks were best I have ever had at any resort.....the food and the spread the chefs put on for this convention was over the top...the sushi was excellent ....the buffet had such a big variety for breakfast and lunch and the food was fantastic....a la carte restaurants were amazing....we took advantage of the spa and the facilities ...so glad we did...what an awesome experience....the pools were great too....we watched the rock show one evening and were totally in awe at the talent...they were unbelievable...an actual band and with dancers. It was amazing....I have nothing bad to say about this resort and would definitely return and recommend it to anyone...all of the staff at this resort go above and beyond to make sure that you are taken care of and are enjoying your time there....loved it !!!!!!! what a great resort :) !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank ScubaSally7
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Neither my wife all I have ever stayed at a secrets resort before neither had we been to Mexico before. The overriding opinion that we have at the end of the holiday is that we did not leave disappointed value for money was certainly achieved.

Whilst yes there are some problem with the hotel or perhaps sometimes the residents within the hotel it would be very difficult for The company itself to do very much about some of those issues. The French restaurant was by far our most favourite restaurant. The Mediterranean restaurant was by far our least favourite restaurant. Sure the beach is rocky and not the most scenic O2 views but I cannot fault the poor workman who walk up and down the beach all day long gathering seaweed to try and make the place look better for us visitors. For that reason I am prepared to ignore the fact that it's rocky. The resort was too noisy for us we came away to be able to relax and snooze but is a lot of partying going on in the pool and that just made that a bit difficult would I return yes to another secrets a result I think we may try Jamaica next. Overall thank you for a nice holiday 10 days seemed much longer but for the right reasons and that''s nice.

Biggest let down sort out that check in process we waited ages it's really not a good impression to give guests at all

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank _whyley2
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We booked secrets silversands for 14 nights with Virgin as a special treat and we wasn't dissapointed. check in was smooth and relaxed, however if you think your getting the free upgrade promised make sure you book the right class of room (a bit missleading).

Rooms were excellent, aircon a touch noisy, spotlessly clean and spacious clean sheets and towels as often as you like but no towel art which was our only real dissapointment.

Included Room service was ace we watched the premiership football and sent for food and beer no problems,

Restaraunts were fantastic, our personal favourites were the seaside and ocean grills, steaks were always good and perfectly cooked, and the service always cheery a big thank you too Luiz, Roberto and Herty. We were concerned about the no booking policy, but it was no problem, if they were full you got a pager and was sent to the bar for a short wait.
(Be warned the indoor restaraunts do make you wear covered in shoes, long trousers and shirts)

The waiter service was always good even on the beach, they never leave you without a drink for long.

Entertainment was great, live music and shows every night.
check out the nightly movie on the wall of the hotel.

All in all a fantastic holiday

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank coltuck
Cancun
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Visited in October 2013. Will not be returning.

PROS:
-nice pools and great hot tub
-friendly staff
-great layout of hotel property (nothing was too far of a walk)
-very modern decor
-fun seating area at night outside lobby with bar - great atmosphere!
-housekeeping was great
-more upbeat crowd than secrets maroma (if you are looking for quiet and romantic for sure go to maroma)

CONS:
-horrible beach (which we expected... didnt realize how much we would miss looking out at blue water.. did not feel like we were in mexico)
-low quality food (best food was barefoot grill by the pool, or hibachi grill)
-room service food (often food was stale and not edible)
-awful food service (probably our biggest issue - 20 minutes to be greeted after being sat was normal, brought out wrong dishes and never fixed it, we ordered appetizers and soup a few times and NEVER got it, had to order a drink 3-4 times before they actually brought it)
-preferred club was not worth it (better food and drinks at regular places, not the preferred club lounge)
-messed up our reservation (we booked and paid for 7 nights in honeymoon suite and they tried to put us 2 nights in partial ocean view room and then make us move mid-stay b/c they were overbooked.. completely unacceptable)
-in our room.. all windows leaked when it rained and flooded the slippery tile floor.. soaked anything left on floor, air conditioning was always running but the room was never cold (we slept with a sheet only and we were still hot)

Overall, we had fun with our group of friends in spite of being at this hotel. There are far better resorts in mexico and we would never recommend this resort. Secrets Maroma was much better, but we probably will be trying a different resort chain next time..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank beachbummy2013
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/eConcierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear BeachBummy2013,

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

We regret to know that we have not fulfilled your expectations during your visit. Please be certain that we have taken your feedback seriously and we will work in our opportunity areas in order to deliver better service to our guests.
In the other side, thank you for your comments about the staff service, it is our pleasure to be the host of many guest and all our staff take very serious the attention to the details.

We kindly would like to invite you to reach us at info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com with further details about your stay. Your remarks are truly valuable for us.

Best regards,

Aldo Delgado Betancourt
Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge
Info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com
Mukwonago, WI
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The Excellent: The food, the service and the birthday treatment. The food assortment and quality is absolutely wonderful. I know people (Americans) sometimes complain about the meal portions, but the staff is more than willing to bring you more of whatever you want. And no one can say they walk away from the buffet anything less than satisfied. The service, as is the norm here, was outstanding – there is nothing they won’t assist with or try to take care of for you. Other resorts deliver lip service – they will tell you exactly what you want to hear and then never deliver – not so at Secrets Silversands. They will absolutely take care of you and get you what you want or offer you what they can. One night in the Italian restaurant, I asked our server if the spaghetti came with meat sauce as I was not sure what the sauce was that was on the menu – he said no it was (whatever it was), but let him check. He disappeared into the kitchen for a few minutes and returned with “we can do that for you”. I was thrilled, I didn’t even have to ask to get it – he understood that was what I wanted and made it happen. We had a similar experience at Oceana. My husband wanted the grouper as a fried fish sandwich. The server said, let me see – came back a minute or so later and said – yes the chef has breading we can do that for you. AWESOME!!! And last but not least we celebrated my birthday while we were there. From the banner on my door first thing the morning of my birthday, to the rose petals on the bed, to the vase of fresh flowers, to the champagne and cake delivered to the room, to the breakfast staff singing to me, the mariachi band 4 days later singing to me after dinner, it was all in all an absolutely wonderful vacation. I kept accusing my husband of having them do these things to embarrass me and he assured me it was all them. I absolutely must call out a few of our FAVORITEST servers – please ask for them when you go: The World Buffet – Hugo and Renan (both are the best of the best). Oceana – Marco (he will take care of you!!). Pool – you definitely want Felipe’s area – he is fast, pleasant and has an impressive memory. Bar service at night – watch for Veronica, she’s GREAT.

The Good: Some of the nightly entertainment was very good. Notably, the “urban show”, the married couple show and the Mexican night entertainment. The band outside at night was very good as well. The selection of top shelf beverages and drink choices was good as well. If you’re not sure…ask them to make you something, they will and it will probably be good! The resort grounds are well laid out so there aren’t any overly long walks to get anywhere. Bellman service was good, very prompt. The grounds are always kept clean. You never see dirty dishes/glasses laying around - all the staff take pride in keeping the resort clean.

The Bad: 1) Check in remains unorganized, despite us and many, many others reporting the same problems! Chaotic is too strong a word, but I find it hard to believe that after so many years in business, the fact that they KNOW when people are arriving – they do not make the proper accommodations to get people checked in more efficiently. Sure you get a glass of champagne and a warm washcloth, but after traveling – you only want to get to your room and get some vacation clothes on, or perhaps if early enough get down to the pool. When we used to stay at another similar resort in the area, on busy check in/out days, they actually set up a separate check in/out desk that was portable to ease the transition and the crowd. Remember Secrets Staff, a guest’s first impression of the resort is check in. FIX IT. 2) The gift shop needs more Secrets logo items. I specifically wanted a sweatshirt (as I am from the Midwest) and there wasn’t a long sleeved shirt to be found. I understand I am in Mexico, but I will soon be returning to a much colder climate and what better memory of 90 degree sunshine then to be standing out in the 0 degree weather with a sweatshirt from one of your favorite places? 3) Some of the nightly shows…well, they left a lot to be desired! In particular the comedian and the hypnotist. When the “actors” are making comments about people leaving the show and acknowledging the fact – you know it’s bad. Stick to the music and dancing or do a better job screening the comedians.

The Ugly: I want to be clear – there is nothing ugly about Secrets Silversands. Except. For. The. Floatie. Hoarders. They are absolutely, horribly ridiculous. We saw people fold them up and “hide” them behind or under their lounge chairs. We saw 2 couples constantly making sure they had 4 of them near their lounge chairs. They would go to lunch or wherever they would go, people would take them to actually, oh my gosh, USE THEM and immediately upon their return from their “outing” round up 4 more to put by their lounge chairs. They probably spent more time looking for and hoarding them then actually using them. I feel the resort staff should, when they observe this, while I know they don’t want to be confrontational – inform the hoarders that the floaties must remain IN THE POOL. Obviously, there are people out there that still think the world revolves around them and only them. This is sad, yet is easily remedied.

Secrets Management and Staff…we know you read these reports. You encourage us to submit reports of our experience while there. Fix these couple of little things, and make us even happier next time we’re there.

2 Thank Kathy V
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator / E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Kathy V.

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun Management and Staff want to extend their gratitude for taking the time to share such a detailed overview on your experience during your stay through this mean. We always appreciate our guest’s comments since you provide us feedback that will allow us the opportunity to improve our service levels and product.

It is our pleasure to know that you had enjoyed the food and specially, the service from our staff. We are also happy to know that Monica, Felipe, Marco, Hugo & Renan had made you feel welcome during your stay. We have shared this message with them and their Supervisor and we are truly grateful.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Silversands allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly perfect experience.

Best wishes,
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#6 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!