“Excellent service!”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My family and I spent an entire week at the resort. Service was excellent and food was great. We really liked our room and the cleaning ladies did an excellent job!! I will definitely recommend this place to my friends and family.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lily201
Write a ReviewReviews (11,033)

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Pros:
Very clean!
Rooms were spacious and comfortable.
Friendly staff. Always willing to go the extra mile for you.
Great pools! I think there were 8 total. Also very clean.
Plenty to keep yourself busy with. There are daily scheduled activities and shows, but there are also things you can do on your own like kayaking and snorkeling.
Close to the beach.
Many restaurant options.

Cons:
Service in the restaurants was slow at times.
Restaurant food was a bit bland, but not terrible.
The beach was a little rocky, but fine if you have water shoes.

Overall it was a great resort and I would definitely come here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Traveler5707123
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Traveler5707123,

It is an honor to read your description of your experience in our resort and to be able to host you during your recent getaway to our destination. We thank you for your preference and for the time invested in writing this review.

We are overjoyed to read that you had a great time with us and you were pleased with the service from our staff, our 8 pristine pools, cleanliness and comfort and size from your suite.

We regret to know that you were not satisfied with the promptness of service in our a la carte restaurants. It is important for us to mention that all meals are prepared at the moment and this could be the reason for an slower service, our goal is to offer always fresh made food. We appreciate your understanding on this matter. We have informed our head chef about your comments on the consistency of the food, and you can be certain that your feedback will allow us to provide a better service or future travelers.

Once again, we appreciate your comments and we look forward to welcome you back home soon for another great experience.

Warm regards from Riviera Maya,

Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Where to start....

Firstly I was completely blown away by the size of our room and how modern it was. I loved the bath tub in the middle of the room with sliding mirrored partition. I loved the toiletries (replenished daily) I have never been to a resort that gives you sun cream!!! oh and not forgetting the mini fridge replenished daily....was like magic!

Then there was the hotel grounds impeccably kept. There were loads of lovely pools, I particularly loved the infinity pool all around the resort. There were clean towels provided every day, another thing I loved about Secrets.

Secrets provided great entertainment daily and they told you all about it by delivering an itinerary to your room every night at turn down. There were also entertainment provided around the resort such as life-size chess and a snooker table to name but a few.

There are lots of bars and restaurants all around the resort ready to wait on you, I particularly loved the World Cafe in the morning and the BBQ grill by the pool. I can't say a bad word about the food it was top-notch! Secrets also provided a show every night which were ok, not out of this world but good.

The beach was okay not very deep (width from sand to sea) and it could get quite busy as it was small...sun rise in the morning was breathe taking. The one thing I must mention is that waiter/waitresses come to you on the beach and take your drinks order and bring it straight back to you!! Was fantastic!

But most of all it was the service, attention to detail and the cleanliness of the resort that I was most impressed with at Secrets.I loved the little niceties around the resort such as 'Anniversary' or 'Honeymoon' sashes on hotel room doors, they were so good at making you feel extra special. The resort was absolutely spotless I don't know how they did it...their staff and organisation were superb. I felt really special, like royalty even during my stay, I have never felt as special as I did there anywhere else ever. I came home raving about this place, this paradise that we had had the pleasure to experience....I was hooked!!!

I wanted to go back bad....

8  Thank sam_solomon13
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We visited SSS for the third time for our anniversary from August 17th-24th. It once again exceeded our expectations! This place is definitely our home away from home! We both had tears in our eyes when we had to leave, we made such great friends and absolutely love all the staff! I will break it down into categories for you.

RESTAURANTS:
Breakfast - The World Cafe has such a huge spread - blows room service breakfast out of the water.
Lunch - Seaside Grill has an awesome Gorgonzola Honey Pear pizza, and all of their sandwiches are great too! We mostly ate at the Barefoot Grill (hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches, nachos.)
Dinner - Our favorites were Himitsu and Ratatoulle. Bordeaux was our old favorite, but the quality of the steak they had this year didn't seem as good as previous years. Portofino had great fettucini alfredo, and we did not eat dinner at El Patio, Oceana, or Seaside Grill. Definitely try the fried ice cream at Himitsu and the Gruyere Cheese Soup at Ratatoulle. Room service was also great for a late night snack - try the club sandwich! Also worth mentioning, my husband is *extremely* picky and orders everything plain or modified in some way - they never once got his order wrong!!! They will make anything to your liking.

BARS: They do have top shelf liquor, you just have to ask for it. The Barracuda Bar by the beach is our favorite bar to go at night after the shows, the Veranda bar is nice for a pre-dinner cocktail. FYI - if you are a vodka and Red Bull drinker, they do not have Red Bull, but you can pack it in your suitcase - we took a case with us. It's around $6 a can to buy it at the resort.

ROOMS: The rooms are large, we stayed in room 4405 which had a nice ocean view. The best things about the room are the huge jacuzzi tub (light the incense they give you to really relax!), the shower is huge also, and yes, the bathroom does have a glass door, but just shut the other two sliding doors and you will be fine! The maids do an excellent job of cleaning your room, so make sure you tip her also! We noticed this year our ac did not get as cool as we wanted it to, but the last two years we stayed in building one and had no issues. Make sure you check out channel 14 :)

SERVICE: Outstanding! Your drink will never go empty! We like to tip a lot (which we noticed doesn't make the service any different than anyone else) because these people work so hard to keep us happy!

BEACH & POOLS: The beach itself is beautiful, and yes, it is rocky, but there are a few sandy spots where you can enter the water. We walked about 30 minutes each way, and SSS had by far the best beach (there were many run-down "ghost" resorts on both sides). The pools are beautiful also, the main pool being the most fun with music and activities and the swim up bar.
The towel situation this year was different than previous years - you are now only allowed one towel per person, which was not cool! On the two days it rained, they came around and picked up all the towels but never brought them back out once it cleared up. Also we noticed this year there were no loungers around the pools around each building (except the ones by the swim-up rooms) - I don't know if they only want the swim-up room guests to have access to these pools and not the entire building??

ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment staff is top-notch. This year, there was an entirely new team (except for Jackie and Alex), and we were a little disappointed to find this out when we arrived, but they are just as good as the old people! Ruben is a blast, so is Nico, Jackie, Dulce, and Stephanie, what the heck, all of them are wonderful! The *only* complaint we have with them is that two days it was cloudy and rained for no more than 10 minutes, but they still would not set up the pool volleyball even after we all begged for it (even after it cleared up and got sunny again). The shows are very entertaining, with the Fire Show, Sensuality Show, and Rock Show being the best. The only thing I wish they would improve on is the air flow through the theater - it gets extremely hot in there while the shows are going on. They only have a few small fans - it would be great if they could add some more! The entertainment team is one of the main reasons we keep coming back.

The whole resort has such a great relaxing ambiance to it, and the aromatherapy scent in the lobby and restaurant area is awesome! Choose SSS for your next vacation - I promise you will NOT be dissapointed!!! We will see you again next year SSS!!!
Brandi & Aaron

Room Tip: 4405 had a nice ocean view. We were put in block one (which is nice - if you like peace and quiet...
6  Thank Blkunkle
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We just returned a few days ago and can't wait to go back. Spent a week there, and it wasn't long enough! Service, foods and rooms were great. We had a swim out in building 4 across from the Barracuda Grill and loved it. Our favorite pool server was Felipe - full of drink suggestions and service was impeccable! At night, we hung out at the Veranda Bar and loved the bartenders Nicandor and Lino. They were very entertaining and always remembered what we were drinking. This was our first time at an all-inclusive, and we will definitely do it again soon.

2  Thank clegrl
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My parter and I stayed at Secrets Silversands for 1 week in May for our 18th anniversary. The rooms are lovely, we were in room 3105 which was a swim out room to the infinity pool. I do not usually go to all inclusive resorts but as this hotel had 7 restaurants, I thought it would be fine as we could still eat somewhere new every night. The waiting staff in the restaurants were all very polite and friendly, however I did find a lot of the restaurants just had slightly different variations of the same dishes on their menu. I did find a lot of the food very bland but were told by the staff that this was to cater for the tastes of American guests. The bar staff were amazing, especially Leticia Garcia Garcia and Delmy Kelly. These two girls looked after us every night and make sure ours glasses were never empty.
On the whole this is a lovely resort which is extremely well maintained, the staff are excellent and always smiling and helpful. The only downside really for me was the food being disappointing.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3105 which is a swim out to the infinity pool, however this pool is always very bu...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Zoe W
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator E-concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear LondonUnknown,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your stay with us. Your comments are very much appreciated as you provide us with important information that allow maintain our quality service levels and improve areas of opportunity.

We appreciate you have remembered and mentioned our staff members Leticia and Delmy. We are overjoyed to know that they had provided you exceptional service and please be certain that we will let them know about this mention and therefore we thank you on their behalf.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Social media coordinator

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Like all my reviews, I like to let people know exactly what they are getting themselves into, both good and bad. My wife and I stayed at Secrets Silversands in August 2013.

Staff - The front desk people were very friendly on arrival, but we did not get the champagne and wet towels like other people commented on getting, so this is a hit or miss. On departure the person checking us out was not friendly at all. She definitely seemed like she hated her job and was just processing each person as a number. The best waitresses by far were Laticia and Delmy. Both were well worth every tip we gave them. All the workers at the casino night were also fantastic. This is a very funny resort for tipping. Some of the bartenders were very thankful and friendly some didn't even acknowledge that you tipped them sometimes, so those people we stopped tipping. One bartender who we had been tipping constantly actually told my wife to go get her own lime for her tequila shot. Needless to say he did not get another tip. The entertainment staff were ok, but not great like some of the other resorts we have been to. Some of the guests got together and created our own pool entertainment. The running of pool floaties was a big hit, and the most fun we had at the pool, but it was not organized by the staff.

Pool - There were many pools, but the one we went to, was the main pool. In August it is very warm and it is not going to cool you off. The infinity pool was cooler but there was no swimup bar at it. The pool area was beautiful and we did not have any trouble finding chairs. It was great to not have to worry about towel cards and tracking down your towel at the end of the day. This was a huge plus for this resort over other resorts. Also, not having to wear wristbands was also a huge plus for this resort.

Beach - If you want to swim in the ocean, do not go to this resort. There is barely a 10x10 spot to sit in the water. It is very rocky and brown in color till you get out past the reef area. The water does not seem to get deep till way out, and without protection for your feet, you are not going to walk out that far. There is a ton of seaweed in the water and constantly washing up on the shore. The poor workers that had to clean up the shore were going constantly. They would rake up one area and within minutes it would have seaweed back there. The nice thing is they were trying to clean it up, so the guests could at least enjoy the sand, since they could not enjoy the water. Simply said, if you like to swim in a pool this is a good place, otherwise find another resort. BTW - Everyone on the plane that stayed in this area said all the resorts are like this. I would suggest the main strip of Cancun, if you enjoy the beach and ocean.

Rooms - the rooms were very nice and the air conditioning worked well. They made sure they restocked the mini bar everyday and we never had any problem with them cleaning the room. One day we just asked for towels and said they didn't need to clean, but when they came around for the turndown, they didn't like it being messy with dirty towels so they cleaned up anyway. On our arrival to our room it was beautiful. Our anniversary was that week, and they formed a heart out of rose petals on the bed, put rose petals in the bath and had a nice banner on the door of our room with a bottle of champagne in an ice bucket. Very nice touch. The only issue we had was the lock on the door did not work a couple of the days and it was extremely frustrating to get them to fix it correctly. It took many trips to the lobby before they finally switched out the lock. They did send us a gift to our room as an apology for the hastle.

Hotel lobby and grounds - This was a beautiful resort with a lot of different restaurants and bars. I really liked the little coffee shop and the outside and inside bar. In these bars they had the better tequila - Don Julio and they made the best drinks. All the bars had some premium alcohols, but these two had the best ones. They really should have all options at all bars, that way guests don't have to walk to a different bar to get something they like. The whole hotel was very clean and well maintained, except after it rains. My wife fell in one of the hallways, and it hadn't rained in hours. They don't do the best of jobs of cleaning up water and in the evening it is very hard to see it on the ground. Be careful if you are walking around on days when it rains because you could hurt yourself. Being adults only was a very nice thing about this resort. Not having little kids running around and screaming was very nice.

Nightlife - like most of the resorts in this area, everything shuts down around 1pm. The sports bar which acts like a small disco after 11pm is nice , but small. The resort does arrange for trips to some of the clubs, but beware if you are planning on doing this. One day we told them we would go to the club with them, got all ready, arranged to meet some people from another resort there, and when we got to the lobby they said they might not have enough people, so they weren't going to take us, if they could not get at least 8 people. We asked Nico to let us know, so we could arrange other plans, and he said he would, but just disappeared without ever telling us what was going on. We have been to a lot of resorts in Cancun, Playa and now here, but have never been stranded for a trip to a club. This is the only resort that arranges these things and then cancels when people want to go.

In summary, this was a nice resort, but we will never go back because of two things, you cannot swim at the beach and a lot of the staff need to be trained in how to be friendly, and a perfect example is the horrible way we were treated when we wanted to go to the club. In my opinion this is not a 5 star hotel, it is more like a 3 star. At 5 star hotels every staff member is friendly and helpful, this was not the case here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank BeachTraveler0322
info_sesrc, Social media coordinator at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Beach Traveler0322,

We would like to thank for taking the time to provide your feedback through this review. This is the best way to identify our opportunity areas and make the proper actions to improve our service levels.
We are glad to know that you have enjoyed our resort areas an cleanliness, our restaurants and menus, as well as bars, pool area and the service our staff. Please be certain that Leticia and Delmy will receive your regards and thank you on their behalf.

We regret to know that your stay was not how you expected and we apologize for any shortcomings on our end. We would like to ensure you that your comments had reached our Management and we will take the proper actions to improve the opportunity areas that you have kindly mentioned.
Our proximity to the reef barrier is the main reason our beach might not be as beautiful as other beach areas. But we indeed consider we have a preferred location since we are just meters away from the second largest coral reef in the world which our guests are able to have snorkeling tours and visit this nature's wonder.

We truly hope you give us a second opportunity to host you back home to make your stay memorable.

Kind Regards,

#6 of 28 in Puerto Morelos
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
Valentin Imperial Riviera Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!