Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
$552
$232
$204
Official Site
Now Jade Riviera Cancun(Puerto Morelos)
$263
$178
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Marina El Cid Spa & Beach Resort(Puerto Morelos)
$317
$208
$541
Cancelon
11,742 results
All reviewsratatouilleveranda barmain poolanna bananaentertainment staffsilver sandsel patiopreferred clubworld cafejuan joseroom servicebarracuda barseaside grillour honeymooninfinity poolother resortspartial ocean view
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Once again Secrets Silversands did not disappoint us we had a wonderful time at the resort for 6 nights over the 4th of July Holiday. This was our second time staying at the resort we vacationed here 3 years ago and this time we brought another couple along with us. We had a Swim Up Junior Suite in Building #4 and it was great since we did have a partial view of the ocean and the pool was just footsteps from the patio. We spent most of the time at the main pool with all of the other guests and the Entertainment staff keeps everyone busy and the late afternoons we spent at the pool behind building #4 just outside our room where there was a little less noise and privacy. The food was good at all of the restaurants that we ate at and had no wait times even though the resort was at capacity.

The staff brought out new mats due to the capacity of the resort and was always bringing in more lawn chairs for the guests around the main pool to make sure that everyone had someplace to sit. Drinks at the resort were awesome and you have plenty to choice from and you can let the servers know how strong you want them. We brought our own Tervis cups and the servers would wash them an fill them right back up with the drink of your choice. The resort also serves cans of Bud Light, Modelo and Corona Light at all of the bars on site as well as Corona and Negro Modelo on tap.

I would like to Call Out Sasha with the Entertainment Staff he was great as well as the rest of the staff. The Entertainment each evening was also really good we especially liked Chuck King the Hypnotist he put on a great show.

I would not hesitate coming back to this resort and we have and will recommend Secrets Silversands to friends planning on traveling to the Cancun area.

Room Tip: Building # 4 is wonderful, recommend bringing personal cups for drinks and koozies.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ssnow719
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Here's what. If you're looking to go to a reliable, nice hotel in the Mayan Riviera, on a budget, this place is a great value, and you get exactly what you're paying for. I had never done an all inclusive before, and was extremely skeptical of getting a more "cruise ship on land" experience. It was a little bit of that, but really overall the price for the place was on par.

I probably won't do an all inclusive again, as a full breakfast buffet will last me almost to dinner and I enjoy experiencing local culture more, but if you're down to be at the resort for a long weekend like we did, this was pretty ideal. And really, I completely got my value out of what we paid for 3 nights. Completely.

Now, a HUGE shout out to the staff. The staff at this hotel are friendly, smart, quick to respond, and very very nice. Very nice. It helps when you're at a place like this to not feel nickled and dimed on the service. It was over the top. The spa is a great value, the drinks are all premium liquors (call it if you're picky, but they have it). And the food....well, I don't go to places like this to eat. But it was pretty decent, and mostly very good. There is a lot of it too. All the time!

The minibar in the standard room had the small "coronitas," plenty of bottled water, orange juice, coca cola, coca cola lite, sprite, and sparkling water. They replenished this daily, or on request. A nice touch.

I would say this on the rooms, there are some ocean view that are worth the price, but not all of them. Not having an ocean view or a swim out suite was not something we regretted for the price. And, like most hotels in Mexico, they will offer you a lower priced upgrade on arrival. Ours was 50% off the price of the upgraded room from online. We still didn't find that worth it.

About the room we were in....I read some reviews about a mildew smell. Which, yes, you are in the tropics, and they have a key insert to turn on all electricity in the room. The first day we were there, we removed the key when we left. Without the A/C running, the room did take on a very very slight mildew smell. I have a sensitive nose, my boyfriend did not smell it. However, after sleeping in the smell, and faintly catching whiffs of it all night, we decided to leave the key in the slot and take 1 key with us, therefore allowing us to let the A/C run, and by keeping the room cold, the smell went away. They must be aware of this too, because they dole out incense in the rooms like crazy. We're kinda the crunchy candle hippie type, so this was cool, but also could have been a recognition of the odor caused by such a humid environment?

Couple things about the area. The water here was not the clear quality I thought it would be. And despite the best efforts of the hotel, the beach does have a sea grass on shore issue. BUt let me tell you, they clean that beach non-stop, rake it daily, and constantly are picking up anything that would mar the white sand. A resident of the area did tell us that Puerto Morelos is a more shallow part of the reef, and that you get more wash up from the reef than in other places, such as Cozumel, or Isla Mujeres that are deeper reefs...good to know, might influence my next trip, but all in all, the beach was nice. And while I like a good walk on a beach, I'm not a huge ocean swimmer/snorkeler, so this was not a priority for a quick trip. Had I been here a week, I'd have wanted a better beach.

OK. Here's the important airport arrival tip. Anything more than $45/$50 from airport to hotel is TOO MUCH. We got duped at $70 a ride, one way, only to get a return trip back for $35. Prebook your shuttle travel, have a driver waiting, it's better. One couple we talked to got charged $150 one way to the hotel. It's 20 minutes, 30 tops, from the airport. Once at the hotel, we booked return trip online, it should have been $70 both ways....oooops.

Also, when arriving. Carry lots of $1, makes for easy tipping along the way. AND DO NOT LOSE YOUR VISA (the paper they give you w/ passport upon entering, and what you will need to leave). It was very complicated and full of misinformation and long lines to replace this upon departure. But that was more on us for losing it than anything else. :)

To sum it up. Secrets is a very nice resort, if that is the concept you are looking for. Personally, my next trip to Mexico will be more of a small boutique hotel, with restaurant and sight seeing exploration outside of the hotel property.

Room Tip: wait for upgrade offers if you don't care too much to secure ocean or a swim out suite. With availability, they will offer it to you cheaper on arrival. Did not get the impression that Premium Club was necessarily worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KM H
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had read Trip Advisor reviews prior to booking this trip. Read a few negative remarks about the beach area being rocky, yes it is. However all it took was a pair of rubber beach shoes and we were good to go! It is coral rock and once you go in the water a few steps in it's fine. Just be sure to take some booties and you won't have a problem. The hotel was great, I was told it's only 5 years old, the grounds were very well kept,the hotel grounds were extremely clean, lawns well manicured. The hotel interior was stylish and nice, someone had posted a picture of the bottomf of a mirror with a little discoloration on it as if that was something terrible. I would say if you are that picky, spend the extra money and book yourself in a boutique hotel like Zoetry. However, it is not an all inclusive and a bottle water will cost you $40 I was told. The hotel, staff, efficiency, cleanliness, EVERYTHING exceeded my expectations! The Spa was incredible too, you must try it. We took one exursion to Xcaret, it was an all day trip, very long, hot and we were exhausted. Woth while seeing but I wouldn't recommend it if you just want to relax, reminds me of a day at Disney World very crowded. Their show at the end of the night was beautiful, the Mexican people are overall very courteous and family oriented. We took great memories with us of a relaxing, wonderful vacation. Met really nice people along the way. I would highly recommend this hotel and would visit again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MariaM34438
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We came back yesterday from our week at the SilverSands. I read the other reviews recently posted and I feel like I was in a different resort from the reviewers. It was a fabulous trip. Our rooms were spotless, the restaurants were wonderful. We were a group of six so sometimes we had to wait a couple of minutes since there weren't many tables set for that number. The wait staff went above and beyond for every meal. By our third day, Victor remembered our breakfast choices and had our coffee and juices waiting for us. We did tip in most places because the service was so exemplary. We spent the days in the pool or snorkeling, or walking on the beach. The evening shows were good. If you, by chance, book the side trip to the Mayan ruins, Do Not buy the additional package (cooking the food, seeing a movie) because it takes too much time away from seeing the ruins, and your time is already limited. Know also that it's 100 miles away by bus. It poured for us that day, but you get what you get and we appreciated the history. As far as the beach, I thought it was lovely. Every single day, the beach is raked to keep the sea grass away. If you walk about a mile up the beach to some of the other resorts, the grass is piled up. On our beach - nothing. I found huge shells and saw beautiful fish with the snorkle gear. When we booked from Apple, we were told this wasn't really a swimming beach since it's a reef, but the sand is clean and white and there are pools everywhere anyway. There are plenty of chairs everywhere if you're a pool or beach sitter. If you are going to walk in the beach water, do take a pair of beach shoes. I could continue writing but the bottom line is we loved the resort, the beach, the pools, the wait staff, even the care the maids took in the rooms. We will go back again and will not hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone! It was perfect.

Room Tip: The third floor rooms were good facing a pool.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Pam B
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Second year in a row to a Secrets resort in Riviera Maya. Secrets Maroma Beach (MB) in July 2012. Secrets Silversands (SS) in July 2013. I highly recommend both places, but there are some slight differences. First, here are the similarities:
MB & SS - Nice beaches for relaxing; Great hard working service staff; Great restaurants with great food and atmosphere; Great rooms, Great indoor bars and drink quality; Clean / Spotless all around; Great entertainment staff (Thanks Marianna, Danny, Dolce and others for a great week of entertainment at SS this year EXCELLENTE! You gave me "goose bumps" LOL ); Great shows on most evenings. The show with the rock band on July 4th at both resorts was amazing both years !!!
Now the differences:
SS - Best Pools, Main pool with swim up bar plus numerous smaller pools if you want to get away from the crowd; Closer to airport (But I recommend private transports to and from any resort in Riviera Maya with Olympus being the transport company of choice); Two nice outdoor bars for evening/after-dinner drinks. Most people hang out at the Veranda bar but don't miss out on a nice evening down at the Barracuda beach bar. Drinks with friends at the beach bar at night are the best kept secret at SS.
MB - Best beach for "swimming" (again, both beaches are great for relaxing but if you like swimming or wading in the ocean, don't go to SS); Best afternoon grill food by the pool; Best late night disco (11PM-1AM); Best Spa.
NOTE: MB is more $$$$ than SS mainly due to the better beach. If you don't swim in the ocean and don't need a quality late night disco scene, save your money and go to SS.

Room Tip: Jr. Suites are awesome; Pool view rooms on the top floor (4th floor for most buildings) in the buildings close to the beach will get you an ocean view; Everything at the resorts is done so well, Preferred Club extra cost doesn't get you much more.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple