“The best 9 days of our lives!”

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“The best 9 days of our lives!”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

From the moment we stepped on the property, we were blown away! We instantly felt like we were coming home, as we were greeted by Arturo! We were presented with a cool towel and a glass of champagne and quickly swept away to our private Preferred Club check-in. We actually have nothing bad to say about this place. From the service to the food, the grounds to the entertainment, we were continually impressed day after day.

So getting into the details, my husband, Brian and I stayed at SS February 11-19 for our one year anniversary/vow renewal/Honeymoon! We had a total of 20 other people staying at the resort with us over the course of the week. There is no question the entire staff knew we were there to celebrate. It was shown in the amazing service we received everywhere and in the fact that we were greeted by name by people that we didn't even remember meeting! We stayed in Preferred Club room 3321 (clearly we were upgraded on check-in). It was an ocean front, gorgeous double room with a jacuzzi on the deck as well as in the bathroom. Amazing! With the PC room, we had an upgraded mini bar that included snacks, sodas, beers, and small bottles of liquor. The bathroom was huge with a full double sink, big shower, great lighting, and full sized amenities. Oh yea, and there's a whole other bathroom in the front of the room with another shower and a whole other set of bathroom amenities. We had a very nice seating area with a table where we enjoyed our 24 hour room service. The bedroom had a very comfy king-sized bed with tons of pillows and a spectacular view of the ocean. Beautiful! There was also a TV in the bedroom and the main living area (make sure you check out Channel 14 ;) lol). Also off the main living area was a cozy deck with the jacuzzi, also with great views of the ocean. We didn't take advantage of the Secrets Box, but it is a great option, you just have to remember to ask them to put it in the box when they bring it, or they'll knock on the door. On that note, the room service staff was very courteous and always very professional.

We were very impressed by the service we received in our room. Milandy took care of us the whole time and always put so much thought into the tiniest details to make our room special. Every day she organized all our toiletries and set things up so nice and orderly. Every night, she turned down our bed with a beautiful flower arrangement, complete with cute towel animals. The attention to detail always impressed us. Marcos stocked our mini bar every day and always made sure we had plenty of vodka, Coke Light, Pringles, and Milky Ways. :)

The grounds were amazing! Everything was clean, green, and very colorful. It just made us feel like we were in paradise. There were always grounds workers keeping everything looking beautiful, right down to the sand in the ash trays (not smokers, but can appreciate the details put into even the smallest thing). The beach was much better than expected (given other reviews on here). The sand was wonderfully white and the ocean a sparkling turquoise blue. A perfect wedding location. Parts of the beach were a bit rocky, but for us, that just added to the beautiful scenery and made it that much more amazing. The beach had plenty of chairs, cabanas, a bar, daily groomed volleyball court, and a breathtaking gazebo over the ocean. We had originally wanted to get married in the sand, but after seeing this location, there was no question that we had to get married on that gazebo. And they worked meticulously until the last minute to make sure that gazebo was perfect for our wedding. Could not have asked for a more perfect backdrop for our ceremony. We just have to say about the whole resort, all the pictures you see on their website absolutely do this place justice. It is exactly like in the pictures! Absolutely stunning!

The pools were amazing. It seemed like every time you'd turn a corner, there was another pool. If you want quiet, action, sun, or shade, there's a pool spot for you! Plenty of chairs, cabanas, and pool floaties around the pool area, especially the main pool. We never had a problem finding a spot to drop our stuff and always felt safe leaving our things at our chair.

The service at all the bars was stellar. They were always having fun and even remembered what kinds of drinks we liked. All-inclusive is the way to go! We loved that we could always get top-shelf liquor, from Grey Goose to Bombay Sapphire to some premium tequila. We had amazing service at the Manatees swim-up bar from Mario and Nicanor. The Rendezvous Bar was a great meeting place for our group before dinner and we enjoyed the service of Yesenia who was making Flaming Coffee when she wasn't working the bar. This spot and the Veranda Lounge always had a variety of live music in the evening. Our other favorite bartender at these spots was The Mexican Joe Pesci :) (can't remember his actual name). There were just so many options that we never had a problem getting a drink. Besides the excellent bar service, we also had excellent pool side service, especially from Felipe! They were always very attentive to getting drinks to us and we even saw them delivering drinks to people at the swim-out suites!

We were able to experience every restaurant and can say we were quite impressed with the quality and presentation of all the food. The World Cafe had a great buffet for breakfast and lunch. It was beyond our expectations. Alberto and Juan took special care of us at the breakfast buffet, making sure we got top shelf drinks and speedy service! El Patio had great Mexican food, but I think we actually enjoyed the Mexican Fiesta night even more! It was an amazing spread of Mexican Food in the Showtimes Theater and I can easily say we ate good that night. Hand-made tortillas made right in front of you? Yes, please! We only had the hibachi at Himitsu, but it was a very delicious and entertaining meal. The Seaside Grill had amazing surf and turf. We ate there a couple times because it was just so good! It was nice to have the option to get some good lobster. Totally worth the extra $20. Our service there was top-notch, and he even brought out some dessert shots for us! Oceana is connected to the Seaside Grill and we had lunch there. Delicious fajitas! The Barefoot Grill was a nice lunch option and so convenient to just grab a burger or chicken sandwich at the pool. They also had ice cream cones! Portofino, Bordeaux, and Ratatouille were no exception to the amazing service throughout the whole resort and the food was so good! Ratatouille was where we had our dinner after the wedding and they made us feel very special. Also had the lobster there and Brian was in heaven! I tried 4 different meals there and they were all amazing! One other spot we liked was the coffee shop. It was nice to grab a delicious coffee and snacks: pastries at breakfast time, sandwiches at lunch time, and desserts in the evening.

The entertainment staff was exceptional. There was always something going on, but we never felt pressured to join in. We did enjoy some beach volleyball, pool volleyball, Bingo, a ping pong tournament, and a margarita class! We could tell that the staff enjoy their jobs and love what they do. It really shows in their attitudes all day long and in how they interact with the guests of the resort. We loved all the staff but especially enjoyed Rango, Sophie, Jezar, Alex14, and Jay C ("Hey Sexy People!"). They made our stay even more fun and memorable.

Due to a fair amount of day time partying, we didn't get to experience a lot of the nighttime entertainment, but what we did see was fun and our group definitely enjoyed it. We really liked the live music in the lobby and the Veranda Lounge. On our wedding night we even got a very special first dance, as we were serenaded by the musicians in the lobby after dinner. It was perfect! After it died down on the Veranda, the Desires Nightclub opened up. We definitely closed the place down a couple nights. The service was great and we got to get a little crazy as we danced to current dance hits. A very fun spot for late night enjoyment.

Thanks to our amazing friends that came on this trip with us, we got to have a very relaxing couples massage at the Spa. Iris, Aurelio, and Siria took great care of us during our spa experiences. We were totally blown away by how beautiful it was. The pool, the relaxation room, the lobby area, all of it was beautiful! I didn't think I could get more relaxed than I already was, but then we went to the spa!

Now I have to talk about Lizette and Alejandra, the wedding coordinators. I had been in communication with Lizette for probably 6 months before our trip and wasn't too sure how things would work out with the wedding, but I can honestly say, our wedding was perfect! It was more than we could have asked for, a dream come true! The day went flawlessly, thanks to all the hard work Lizette and Alejandra put into making everything come together. We can't thank them enough! The music was perfect, the ceremony was beautiful, as well as the flowers, decor and cake. I can't remember the name of the minister, but she was great! The words she spoke of love and marriage will be with us forever! Words can't express the joy we felt to have had this perfect wedding. The icing on the cake was that two days later, we met with Melissa, the photographer and got to see our photos. Absolutely breathtaking! Melissa took so many stunning photos, we decided to upgrade our photo package and get all the images on CD (in HD) and a beautiful album. Totally worth the extra money!

I must also mention Joel, our Delta Vacations guy. We booked a catamaran trip with him and we always felt like we could come to him with any questions we had about excursions. He hooked us up with a private catamaran for our party of 14. It was an awesome experience in which we got to enjoy beers and drinks, amazing reef snorkeling, and lunch at the world famous Maroma beach!

A couple of very fun extra things we experienced were: Mardi Gras parade- they had a whole parade of dancers and drummers that came through the pool area during the day. They got the crowd involved and dancing and it was so much fun!
One of our last days, the chef and all the cooks came out to the main pool with Hors D'oeuvres and they even had a couple of them paddling a canoe through the pool to hand them out! It was super fun and very entertaining. Little things like that made it feel like a special experience.

One thing that we didn't use that much was the Preferred Club Lounge. It was nice to have that separate area we could just stop into and have some drinks or snacks, but we were mostly out partying it up with friends and meeting new people. This was a very nice area however, and the staff was very friendly. It was the place where we got to check in and out. We loved having this private experience for check-in and check-out because we did not have to wait at all.

We have to say, once again, how impressed we were by the service of our Main Man, Arturo. He greeted us at the door, saw us to the PC Lounge for check-in, and brought us to our room. He didn't let us lift a finger as we were welcomed home. He took special notice of our interests (i.e. my husband's interest in Jagermeister) and immediately offered to get us a bottle for our room. Who says you can't get Jag at an all-inclusive? Arturo was there taking care of us our whole trip. He always checked in with us to make sure our stay was perfect. Throughout the week we got to talk to him more and learn about his family, values, and work ethic. He is the true definition of great customer service and it is evident that he loves what he does. In the end, we left with a new friend (Facebook Official) and we hope to see Arturo again in the future when we return to SS.

We also want to recognize Gabriel, one of the managers of the resort. He was always present and checked in with us often to make sure we were being taken care of. He made us feel very important. :)

Just a note on tipping: DO IT!!! These people work their butts off all day every day to make your stay amazing and they deserve it. A couple US dollars goes a long way in getting even better customer service. Yes, it is all-inclusive, but that doesn't mean you can't tip for good service. Bring lots of one dollar bills and be generous! Trust me, it pays off!

Bottom line, this is an amazing all-inclusive resort with very high-end customer service! Every person at this resort cares about their guests and wants to make sure your stay is perfect. This resort came very highly recommended from our amazing travel agent, Missy Skoogs with Travel Leaders. So we had pretty high expectations, and we were blown away! This place far exceeded our expectations and there is no question we will be returning to SS (hopefully for our anniversary next February)! Definitely a great wedding destination and perfect spot for el relaxo. We could not be happier and almost feel like we did not even do this place justice in this review. You HAVE to experience it for yourself. Thanks again to everyone at Secrets Silversands for giving us the trip of a lifetime!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kimberly P
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Kimberly P,

We are very honored to know that you choose us to celebrate this lifetime event like your wedding, and to know that we have esceeded your expectations and made you have an unforgetable time.

Thank you for all your kind comments, we are overjoyed to know that you have enjoyed every moment of your stay with the unique staff service.

We will be waiting for your return to celebrate your first anniversary.
Sunny Regards,

info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,086)
toronto
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My wife and I along with seven other couples stayed at the Secrets Silversands from Feb 28, 2013-March 8 ,2013. Most flew from London Ont. and some from Detroit Mich. My wife and I have traveled to many all inclusive resorts, many in this area and last year alone we were fortunate enough to do three all inclusive s. We have a very good sense of when a resort offers something exceptional and we also have a good sense of what we should expect to receive. To name a few hotels in the Mayan Riviera that we've stayed at.The Barceló, Bahia Tulum, Iberostar Cozumel, Bahia Coba, Valentine, Excellence, Iberostar Grand, and now Secrets Silversands.
Over all I enjoyed this hotel very much. If one were to ask me what I enjoyed most about this hotel I would have to say the staff and service received. Hands down they are 5+ star. I've been to many all inclusive's throughout the Caribbean and to date this hotel ranks number one out of the ones I've experienced so far for service. They really are doing it right. The week we were there we were told the hotel was at 100 percent capacity but because of the many hard working staff it felt like they were running at 20 percent. We tipped a lot but noticed no difference in service from people who didn't. I am so impressed by the way management and all staff run this hotel that I will seek out other Secret properties to try in the future. One night I skipped dinner and had a little too much to drink and while getting up from the outside bar loungers lost my balance and spilt some drinks off our groups small table. It was handled very professionally by their wonderful staff. I was never treated like the drunk I was that night but as a valued customer. To the staff that night I thank you and apologize for any inappropriate behavior.
Heated pool. In this day and age I think that any hotel that doesn't heat at least their main pool in winter months really is taking something away from their guest’s experiences. The first few days we were there were pretty cool and I tell you without that pool being heated no one would of gotten wet. I've been to other resorts where the weather turned cool and no one in our group so much as got their feet wet for the entire week. I will try and seek out only hotels with at least one heated pool when travelling in the winter months in the future.
Drinks. Very pleased. Nothing watered down. Offered Bud light beer among others. Top shelf vodka and other high end spirits. Very good house wine. Very pleased and reason number two I will seek out other Secret properties in the future. Very professional bar tenders and waiters.
Food. For the most part very good. Portions are smaller but always left full and the few times I reordered more it came very quickly followed by “its my pleasure senior”. Room service was really good and we used it a lot. Had a lot of variety on the menu and always came within 20-30 min. One afternoon after receiving our room service I got a follow up call from room service to check and see if everything was to our liking. Very impressive for a resort that’s full.
Check in was very quick. Check out was the same and I was also impressed with the Bell Hop calling my room to arrange luggage pickup. It was the little things like that gesture that really impressed me about this resort. It seemed like we were getting a lot of them.
One small thing I think should be changed is on the night we wanted to try the seafood restaurant as we were making our reservations we inquired if they had lobster only to be told it was only offered at an up charge. We then proceeded to ask for 2 tables of 6 as we had done the night before when we were there for the steak restaurant (same restaurant alternates between steak and seafood every other night) only to be told that we had to wait 50 min. We decided to check the Asian restaurant which they accommodated us very quickly and professionally. The Asian was my favorite restaurant by the way. We didn't do the table side cooking show we just got two large tables and ordered straight of the menu and got some awesome sushi as well as a great entree. The following night we tried the Mediterranean restaurant. The waiter brought up that they had lobster on special if we purchased bottles of wine. We declined. Like I said above. I've been to many all inclusive's, many many offer lobster and I can honestly say this is the first time ever I was asked to pay for the lobster. I would of been happier if they just said they didn't have it. Its not that my wife and I couldn't afford it, its being asked to pay for food at an all inclusive that I have a problem with. We brought over $250 in $1’s that we tipped generously throughout the week. I should of put some of that towards buying my meals instead. lol.
The main buffet had by far the best steak and was always juicy and very tender. Steak ordered from room service was also very good. My least favorite steak was at the steak restaurant. Cooked perfectly medium rare as I ordered but the New York steak was tough as nails for some reason.
Room service as I've said before was very good. My only complaint was not being able to get a bottle of wine left in our room. I mean they have beer and other soft drinks in the room.They started at the beginning of the week by saying they could only bring four glasses at a time. They would bring four empty glasses and fill them in the room. One night I asked the guy to leave the bottle as it was easier for him and me and he said he could if I paid $35 U.S for it. Silly. I grabbed another empty glass I had and had him empty the bottle into all five glasses which he was fine doing at no charge. Silly Silly Silly. Towards the end of the week they would only bring up 2 glasses at a time and pre poured, saran wrapped so they wouldn't spill. lol. I guess they either liked the tips or the walk, maybe both who knows but they never complained once about making multiple trips. We enjoy drinking wine with our room service and while spending time on our balcony and just plain winding down the night so I wasn't going to let a phone call or the hotel policy stop us from doing so. I could see if we weren't finishing what we ordered but we rarely had a half glass left over the following morning. Me and my wife are more than capable of finishing a small bottle of wine at a time and even if we didn't I wouldn't order another bottle the next day until the one I started the night before was done. We had a basic package with no upgrades so not sure how others with upgrades were treated in their rooms for wine.
The last thing I think the hotel should look to improve on is installing some washrooms around the poolside bar and outside grill areas. Washrooms were located way to far away. They should build a washroom attached to building 3 right beside room 3130 by the pool side bar and restaurant. It would be a perfect location and would serve the main area of the pool. I’m guessing it wouldn't take much to connect plumbing to existing building either because all the services are there for those existing rooms. I think it’s something they should seriously try to address.
SUMMERY
I really enjoyed this hotel. The small negative things I found at this hotel would not stop me from returning or recommending this hotel to anyone. I already have friends and family who have recently booked this hotel on my recommendation. It definitely ranks in my top 3 all inclusive resorts visited so far and I look forward to returning some day soon. Go and you will too.

Room Tip: We were located in the center of building 1, second floor. No ocean views but very quiet and close t...
6 Thank sonyone
Dear sonyone,

Thank you for your recent visit and for your time to share a complete feedback from your stay.

It is an honor to know that you have enjoyed a great service from the staff during your stay. Thank you also for your kind comments about the food selection in every restaurant, specially at Himitsu.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon, and thank you for recomend our beautiful resort to your friends and family.
Warn Regards,

Iowa
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We travelled to Silversands last April, and have been plotting our return ever since. It was our first trip to Mexico and our first vacation in 10 years. We had gotten married at an all-inclusive resort in St. Lucia at a run down Sandals so we were not expecting much. Boy were we blown away. From check in to check out, we never stopped being impressed.
The beach was beautiful. Maybe we are easily impressed because we live in Iowa, but still. Its clean, not crowded, beautiful views, great service. No, you aren't going to scuba dive there, but thats perfectly fine with me. The pool area was way more crowded for some reason, which was fine by us. We parked it on the beach every day.
The rooms are huge, clean and modern. The showers have great pressure, beautiful views off the balcony. Great room service. They will bend over backwards to accomadate your requests. That being said, we stayed out of the room as much as possible. The resort and the beach are way too nice to waste much time in the room.
The food was a serious challenger to be my favorite part. Everywhere we ate was good. I'm a super picky eater. I like meat and potatoes and pepper is about as exotic as I get, but I found myself trying all sorts of new things because they all looked so good. A couple nights we ate supper at two places, because it was so good, it was worth being stuffed with food and miserable.
The staff is great. The guy that took us to our room on the first day, remembered our names on the last day, and we hadn't seen him since. They are all super friendly, and nice. If they are faking it, then they all deserve Oscars. We didn't bring a calling card to call home to the kids and one of the staff offered to buy us one in town and bring it to us the next day. I gave him 20 bucks fully expecting to never see it again. We got a call a couple hours later that he gave the money to his cousin who was running to town and ran it right back. Thats a lot of extra work that he sure didn't have to do and it was greatly appreciated. Like i said, the staff is great.
The only thing I didn't like is that the beer was served in plastic glasses. I hate drinking out of plastic and prefer glass, but of course, I understand the reasoning behind it, and I somehow survived.
That being said, from the day we got back, we have been trying to figure out how to get back. And finally when it was time to decide where to go, it was a no-brainer. We are going back to Silversands at the end of May, and we can't wait.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jon_Gelner
Dear Jon_Gelner,

Thank you for share this great experience you had. It is an honor to know that our staff have made you enjoyed the best time for your vacations.

Thank you also for your kind comments about the food selection, the rooms and the beach.

We can´t wait to welcome you back in May.
Sunny Regards,

Bristol
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I were impressed with this beautiful hotel. The food, drink, pool and staff 1st class. The beach is fine. It's not best beach in the world but it's still lovely. We loved it that you didn't have to book any restaurant, you just turn up - perfect!

The entertainers work very hard to encourage fun and games. The activities are good fun. The evening entertainment was your usual singing/dancing/shows. We enjoyed what we saw.

Our room was wonderful, we had a ocean view suite and a jacuzzi in our huge bathroom!
You would have to be a fussy, miserable moaner not to enjoy this resort!!

We were surprised the hotel didn't give free wifi!! You can use a PC for 15 minutes free!!? Other than that, we would return here again and again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sunshine1Midlands
Dear Sunshine1Bristol,

Thank you for your time to post a review. This feedback is the most important for us.

Thank you for your kind comments about the food and drinks selection, the rooms and the entertainment activities. Most important for us is to know that you have experienced the most friendly staff service.

We can´t wait to welcome you back soon.
Kind Regards,

Akron, Ohio
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I travel for work so and have been fortunate enough to stay in some fantastic hotels all over the world. This hotel at best is a 3 star resort but probably closer to a 2.5 star.

1.) At check in they tried to put us in a double "tropical view" room when we booked a king. Incidently "tropical view" means a view of the parking lot/scrub brush facing away from the ocean. They finally after 3 hours of arguing and threatening to leave managed to find a king room for us.

2.) Hotel is designed to extract money from you at every opportunity. You are overwhelmed by people trying to sell you excursions and they have this nifty $200 resort credit scam that you can only use if you spend another $200. So essentially they gross up services by $200 so that it looks like you got a deal. When we asked if we could use it to upgrade our room they said "yes" but the upgrade would cost $89 rather than $49

3.) Food. I could write a novel about how terrible the food is at this place. I've been fortunate to eat at some fantastic restaraunts around the world. The food at this place is low quality, poorly prepared and takes forever to be served. I suppose if you've never eaten quality food you might like this stuff......the fruit is not ripe, the vegetables are nasty, the beef is either tough or stringy, the chicken is like rubber. An appetizer at one place consisted of a spring roll cut in half. 1 spring roll.

4.) Drinks. Forget about mixed drinks. I swear they have to water down the liquor. I thought "hey they can't screw up a vodka and cranberry right?" I was wrong. I got a drink that tasted like it was made with cherry kool-aid and rot gut vodka that was diluted by about 75% with water. Beer on tap is warm.

5.) If you've ever been scammed into going on one of those time-share sales pitches your experience here will be very similar. This place views you as more of a walking ATM rather than a guest. They've custom designed your entire experience to try to extract as much money out of you as possible.

If you've ever stayed at a quality resort before you will be highly disappointed in this place. Don't waste your money. If you've never been to a resort and think they height of entertainment is listening to a half drunk mexican Elvis impersonater belch out "viva Las Vegas" this place is for you.

9 Thank Tryns
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Tryns,

We appreciate the time that you have invested on writing an overview of your stay with us.

There seems to have been a number of deficiencies encountered which are very atypical and not reflective of our brand experience; if this stay was marred by irregular circumstances, we can only renew our apologies and assure you that we have in the meantime briefed the team at great length of your comments.

We are working on a daily basis to exceed our guest’s expectations and would love to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future to offer you a remarkable stay.

Best wishes,

Aldo Delgado Betancourt
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

This resort has everything. It was our fourth visit to riviera maya and we found secrets Silversands to represent a combination of all our favorite elements. We had previously experienced some smaller boutique resorts like Zoetry and El Dorado Maroma but in our stunning oceanfront room we experienced the intimacy and luxury that we love while having access to many fantastic options for dining, socializing and entertainment. It has a breathtaking white sand beach and we were advised to bring our crocks which made ocean swimming perfectly enjoyable. The staff is superbly trained: generous, attentive and warm. The amazing chef Jose makes us feel as though his sole concern was our gustatory fulfillment. His creations were magnificent.
There is a long list of memorable staff who helped make our stay so comfortable and personal. To name just a few, we send our deepest gratitude to Aldo, Ana, Omar, Juan, Hugo, Mercedes, Pamela, Rubi and Cristhy,
Avelino, Inocente, Tomas, countless others.
We will return and recommend this resort unequivocally to anyone.
Best,
Nicholas and David

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Nicholasloren
Dear Nicholasloren,

It is an honor to read about the wonderful stay experience you have enjoyed during this fourth visit to the Riviera Maya and to know that our staff have surprised you with an exceptional service, each staff member mentioned will received your special thanks.

We´ll all be waiting for your return.
Kind Regards,

Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We arrived with Amstar shuttle service. We rented the Luxury vehicle. It was very nice and they were waiting for us at the airport with our name on our sign. It was a nice one beer ride to the resort. I would use them again for sure. Upon arrival I grabbed a bag and guy from the hotel grabbed it out of my hand and said sorry your on vacation now...It was cool. Then we were greeted with champagne. We sat to check in and then they realized we were preferred club so they took us down there to check in. Right-away we were offered more drinks and holy cow they make the best margaritas in the preferred lounge! They then sat us with the time share person. Just say no! and the process will be over shortly. If you show interest they put on the pressure. We told them no right from the start and we were done in 2 minutes. I was very firm and polite that we didn't want to tour any other resort. Upon checking in there was a huge error. We were told from the general Secrets Concierge Karla Martinez that our trip included the honeymoon package ($949 value) since we were staying there for our 10 yr anniversary. When we got to the resort they tried to charge us for it b/c they said it was only for honeymooners staying with in their first three months of marriage. I had to show the concierge at the hotel all the emails I had exchanged with Karla about setting up our anniversary week. I even noted on our expedia trip that it was our 10 yr anniversary and showed them that. After a few minutes they finally realized they made a mistake and gave us the honeymoon package. That was the only hiccup the whole week. Once you book with Secrets find out the direct concierge email of the resort you are staying at. The general concierge Karla who takes emails from all resorts was awful. She didn't respond to a lot of our emails. Sent us wrong information. Family even tried sending us wine and she was unresponsive. She was terrible. Once I got hooked up with Carla from Silversands Concierge all was taken care of for our needs. A few days before we left I noticed on expedia that they still had a honeymoon suite open so I emailed them about an upgrade. We were preferred club ocean front and this was preferred club honeymoon suite. They gave me a great price of only $95.00 more per night. I booked it as a surprise to my wife. They were very discrete when we checked in about this. My wife was blown away when we checked in to the room. She had no idea. It was an awesome surprise. I had arranged chocolate covered strawberries and champagne to be waiting in the room for us. It was. It was very nice. Got tipsy and passed out early the first night so I'll move on to the second day.....Breakfast Buffet is amazing. Smoothie station, Omelet station, fruit station, cereal station, mexican food station, hot cereal, desserts, cheeses, salmon, proscuitto ham and then the general hot food selection which was a great mix of american breakfast foods along with some authentic mexican food which we ate every day plus they had the mimosa and bloody mary bar. The lunch areas were great. The one bar has a small buffet everyday of burgers, dogs, chicken and nacho bar. We went there everyday before lunch to get a snack of chips, guac and salsa. It was awesome. The day we ate outside for lunch we ate at Seaside grill. Lunch was very good. We had chicken wings, pizza, corn chowder and a blt. Portions were very small but they were happy to bring as much as you wanted. The corn chowder soups was amazing..actually every soup I had all week was great! The rest of the week we ate at the buffet b/c we loved all of the authentic mexican foods they offered everyday. Don't get me wrong it wasn't all mexican food...but what they did have was amazing. Lunch at the buffet had a taco station everyday and a pasta station. Along wtih general hot items, soup, huge salad bar, ice creams, sorbets and plenty of deli meats. It was all very good. We hit up every restaurant through out the week. El Patio was our favorite. In our opinion the restaurant menu doesn't sell itself. Nothing was spicey and we just ordered 8 or 10 things to try everything and everything was amazing! Ratatouille was great. Their lamb chops were excellent and if you like Prawns and Seared Scallops this place knew how to serve it. Himitsu is the only one you had to do a reservation to do the hibachi grill. It was very good. Tons of food. We were served spring roll, fried rice, vegetables and an entree of shrimp, chicken and steak. It was great! French food was good. Fillet mignon is good and the crowns of shrimp are very tasty. The shrimp at the resort is awesome.. Whether it was cooked or in cocktail form. We never waited at any of the restaurants. We ate between 6:00 and 7:30 depending on the night. They were all very well organized. They also did a cocktail hour every night before dinner. That was in the downstairs lobby area by the restaurants. They put out several appetizers and had a band playing. Was very nice. We were part of the preferred club and Josh made amazing cocktails. His margaritas were amazing and his slushy drink was awesome to take outside..Mango Daquiri Screw lotta Sex on the Beach he called it. Wow was it good! Also in the pool bar the Banana Sexy was an awesome slush drink. Get to the pool early! People had towels out by 7:30 every morning. You don't have to be hanging out at that time but you better get towels out early and then come back later. One day we couldn't find any chairs but found open space and the pool attendants glady brought us two chairs and a table. So keep that in mind too if you can't find chairs find space. Only main pool was heated so the rest were sort chilly since it was still cool at night. Waitress service was good but slow. When they drop a drink order a drink. It's just a slow process b/c they take 30 drink orders at once so it takes some time. As long as we ordered everytime we never didn't have a drink. Throwing them a good tip helped too. Whether we were on the beach or at the pool we always seemed to get served first or second. $5.00 tip in the morning goes a long way. We probably tipped 15-20 a day between everyone. I know they say it's all included but it seemed to grant even better service. It didn't seem like you had to though. There were plenty of people not tipping. We just seemed to get served first. Plenty of room on the beach everyday no matter what time you go out. Again if you can't find a chair just find a worker and they will get you one. If you want one of the huts on the beach get your towels out there early. The water isn't real swimmable but the beach was very well groomed. Everyday they had the bobcat out there grooming. We did Playa Del Carmen trip through Amstar. The gentlemen representing Amstar at the resort was very nice. They Playa del Carmen tour was very cheap. We had three hours to cruise the strip. It was plenty of time. Pretty much all the same shops after a while. Due to being picked up on a bus it was an hour and a half bus ride to get there....it was okay though b/c we got to see a bunch of other resorts. Don't eat on the strip on Playa. Lots of weird americanized restaurants. Nothing authentic. Eat a big meal before you go and have dinner back at the resort. We also did a trip to Selvatica. It was awesome. We booked this through our Amstar rep at the resort. It was $129 each for a half day trip. It was worth it! We had a lot of fun! The tour bus picked us up and it was about a 25 minute ride. Everyone at selvatica was super nice and friendly. We did a zip line through the jungle then we took a 30 minute dune buggy ride through the jungle. Then after that we walked down a path to a sunken crater jungle pond. It was awesome! You were allowed to zipline into the pond. Wow was it fun! I would recommend this trip to anyone! The day was capped with them bringing you back to the main area and we were given a very nice lunch of rice, beans, chicken with peppers and onions. It says snack on the flyer but it was a big lunch. While eating they played all the videos on the screens and also gave you a tablet to look at all of your pics and videos to see if you wanted to purchase. It was very low pressure. I would do an excursion through them again anytime! The nightly entertainment was fun. There was a rock show, dance show, cirq show and a mexican fiesta. All were very entertaining. We also had a free hour in the spa. It was very very relaxing. They have a private relaxtion room and pool that you can use for an hour before your scheduled massage. It was nice. There were hot tubs, mist showers and a few other things. I've never been to a spa and holy cow was I relaxed. Our Honeymoon Suite was incredible. Well worth the upgrade! Two Jacuzzi's, two bathrooms. Huge bed with an amazing view. I wouldn't ever want to stay on the first floor. Second and up you can keep your windows and screens open all night. We wouldn't hesitate to go to another Secrets. I would go with a group or a romantic get away. The entertainment team did a great job! We didn't partake in a lot but they were everywhere. Always with huge smiles and having fun! Whether it was volleyball, yoga, pool games or night life. It was the same small group and they were great! The food, staff and accomodations were amazing! Josh(preferred lounge), Amanda (poolside) and Monica(Beach) were the servers we encountered the most all week and they took great care of us! Everyone we encountered though was super nice and friendly. It's tough to remember all their names. It was everyone's pleasure to serve you....

Room Tip: Preferred club all the way. It's worth the extra money and you are on the quieter side of the r...
8 Thank Jason C
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,580 reviews

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!