SSS trip Sept 28- Oct 5/12
We use TA as the go-to resource for choosing AI resorts. To give you an idea, we are comparing to Paradisus Riviera, Grand Palladium White Sands, Sandals Whitehouse, and most recently Iberostar Grand Paraiso. I might as well admit now that nowhere has measured up to our stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso down the road.
SSS has lots of plusses with a few points that did not meet our expectations. Our preferences are for minimal hassles, adult only, fine dining atmosphere with tasty food, quiet location ocean view or ocean front room.
We booked a swim out room, requesting two double beds in buildings 1 or 2 if possible. Travel agent put in the request and we e-mailed 2 weeks prior to arrival. At check-in, there were no double bed rooms available in our room category. We offered to downgrade just to get double beds, asking if we could get a resort credit to offset it. Nope, and no double bed rooms in any category. They offered a single roll-a-way cot and a room change third night, so we took it. Most guests know the resort cannot guarantee anything beyond the room category. This is where we usually have hassles. We didn’t know this resort doesn’t have many double bed rooms, so if you are friends travelling, or like us, mother/daughter, you may have no choice but to bunk together, or try the cot.
Room 3123 showed obvious wear and tear, was missing I-pod dock with radio, iron, half the complimentary bath product, and came with a thick coating of dust on the TV shelf, cracked sink bowl, and a sink drain that didn’t seal. Not impressive. First night on the cot was uncomfortable and sleepless, and next morning I took the bedding off to find the cot frame and upper mattress were strapped together with a metal buckle positioned on the mattress top. We called for housekeeping to remove the cot. We shared the bed next night. As promised third night we moved to swim out room 4123, double beds, and even oceanfront. Room was super clean, well maintained, the standard we expected. Little touches like an audio system for TV in the bathroom is nice, all rooms are extra wide, and the ambience was beautiful and peaceful.
Smaller with an uncrowded feel, magical looking at night, but not as visually stunning during the day as SSS photos. Beach sand is fine and raked with lounge chairs and palapas available. If you walk carefully you can take an ocean dip mid waist level to cool off. We believe this resort is very good value for the price booked through West Jet Vacations.
Dining, restaurants, food service:
The no reservation system works well for the guests, and no hassles. All restaurants were good; all dishes were really artfully presented, with great service. If you have a big appetite, order 4 courses and dessert.
Ratatouille- braised beef ribs were succulent with complex sauce, rack of lamb (chops), and watercress salad with dried fruit and goat cheese good too.
Portofino- warm arugula and mixed seafood salad is good and has nice seating arrangements.
El patio portions are larger.
We tip regularly and well for good service, but noticed a lack of tipping from most other guests, both at the buffet and restaurants.
Two negatives issues about dining.
- The seating arrangements for tables of 2 (which includes most guests). It’s bench seating along the wall, chair opposite and tables maybe 2 feet apart, all down the length of the room. Not exactly setting the tone for fine dining atmosphere and there is no sense of privacy. Nice dress code, but seating cafeteria style.
-When preparing the tables for next diners, the table runner and table surface is lightly swiped with a dry napkin, and then clean plates and cutlery are added. This occurred as well every morning during the brunch from 7-11 am. We were surprised. The tables were not properly cleaned.
Dining and drink staff: outstanding service and warm camaraderie with most notably Victor De la hoz. Also excellent service from Natalio, Hugo, Juan, Manual, Felipe, Diago, Francisco and Havier.
Spa services and staff:
Watch for daily specials or use the resort coupons to reduce the pricing. The hydrotherapy circuit is not the most impressive, but we found the following services good: Tropical Escape and Oasis body treatments, Aromatherapy and Swedish massages and C & Sea facial. Ask for Liz.
Be aware the Water Lily Sun Relief treatment consists of lying between towels drenched in ice water complete with a few ice cubes. Lol. The pamphlet states it will cool your skin temperature. It is guaranteed to bring down a high fever though its excessive for minor sunburn.
Denise at spa front desk has a professional demeanour, very helpful, and overall outstanding at customer service.
This resort offers good value if you are looking for a relaxing attractive smaller AI with little quiet pools outside your patio or balcony. But we are returning to Iberostar Grand Paraiso January 2013.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun is a chic, ultra modern all-suite adult-only unlimited-luxury resort featuring 433 suites, over 43,000 sq ft of pool areas and expansive manicured gardens, exceptional dining options, several bars ranging from elegant to swim-up. World class spa, a fitness center and two Jacuzzis ensure that guests are pampered and indulged. We are nestled on the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, 15 miles south of Cancun and only twenty minutes from the Cancun International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Despegar.com, Booking.com, Jetsetter, Agoda and Reservation Counter so you can book your Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos