“Our week at silversands”

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 2, 2012

The accommodations are upscale contemporary and make you feel comfortable and special. The atmosphere throughout, including the rooms are designed for couples to be closer couples. The secrets staff was friendly from restaurant staff to bar staff, and especially the entertainment staff, some of which deserve a special shout out include Jackie Chan, Mufassa, and Chuy. All n all a good time was had. Food was very good and the presentation was excellent. The beach was probably the only minor disappointment as it was rocky and very shallow. but that is no reflection on silversands. I would recommend this to anyone wanting an upscale escape.

4  Thank Bob S
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Bob S,

Thank you for your recent visit and for your kind comments shared in this review. It was a pleasure to have offered you a memorable experience enjoying the food selection, staff service, and entertainment activities, Jackie, Mufasa and Chuy will be very honored to know about your special mentions.

We can´t wait for your next visit to enjoy this paradise one more time.

There are newer reviews for Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Reviewed October 2, 2012

My girlfriend and I are visiting Riviera Maya yearly and this year we selected Secrets Silversand as our destination. We had a great time and were impressed by the service and superb quality of the meals. The staff is so friendly, attentive and kind as we have never seen before. This is definitely going to be our destination again very soon! Special thanks to Andrea for making us feel so welcome every time, Juan & Tomas for the perfect service and attention during all our meals, Roger for ensuring a perfect operation in the restaurant and Jorge for the most wonderful meals we have had!

4  Thank Wim H

Dear Wim H,

We would like to thank you for your preference and for your kind comments.

It´s a pleasure to know that you have experienced the wonderful staff service, specially from Andrea, Juan, Tomas, Roger and Jorge, all of them will be very honored to know about your special mentions to their great service.

We will be waiting for your return.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The rooms were huge with a nice couch area, nice sized balconies for hanging out. A/C was always on whether the key was in the slot or not. huge showers, nice 2 person tub in each room. Plenty of bars to choose from on site and top shelf alcohol - Grey Goose, Barcardi premium, Cuervo 1800. Excellent food at every restaurant and we tried every one of them - rack of lamb, mushroom risoto and the hibachi were faves. great variety and delicious breakfasts, good lunch options. The entertainment staff was great. the nightly shows were great. We only left the resort one time and that was for the 1/2 day snorkeling trip and could have skipped that. The staff there is super friendly. Great place for couples. Not a ton of singles were there when we stayed. Huge bonus that it was only 15 minutes to the airport so it's the first place dropped off and the last place picked up. The downside is that it's a longer shuttle or cab to the hotel zone or Playa del Carmen.

Room Tip: I'd recommend a swimout room. It was nice n quiet near the pool areas, so no distractions late a...
3  Thank Greg M

Dear Greg M,

We would like to thank you for your recent visit and for your kind comments. Thank you for your time to post a review

We are overjoyed to know that you were surprised for the staff incredible service. Ít´s a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed the rooms, food & drinks selections, and the entertainment team and night shows

We will be waiting for your next visit

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The beach is the worst one we've ever seen in Mexico -- very rocky and only 2 feet deep. Our room was uncomfortably hot. We wasted lots of time trying to get a cooler one. Concierge wasn't interested in helping until we asked for a manager. Matre des refused to seat us as a group unless they got a sizeable tip. Outdoor entertainment room uncomfortably hot. Dangerous to walk around the hotel -- we're aware of at least 6 people who fell (non-alcohol related). Concierge was not interested when we reported it. Overpriced and a one apple vacation for us. We'd never go back.

6  Thank Marilyn W

Dear Marilyn W,

We would like to thank you for your time to post a review, this allow us to identify our opportunity areas, every suggestion and report made by our guests help us to take the immediate corrective actions.

We regret to know that our beach didn´t met your expectations, we are located very close to the second largest coral reef in the world and this is why our beach area is different from others in the Riviera Maya. This is a great opportunity to enjoy unique experiences like snorkel, dive or sunbathing.

We also regret about the wrong first impression caused for the service at the restaurants when you were trying to accomodate your group. We try to keep the romantic and private ambiance in our restaurants, this is one of the highlights which distinguish Secrets Resorts from another brands, so when groups of guests have tried to have a dinner all together, we offer them a private space in one of our spots specially created for groups, this is offered with a special menu and special wine brands and this comes with an addittional charge, otherwise guests can enjoy the all-inclusive meals in all of our restaurants with a maximun occupancy of 4 persons per table.

We are very surprised with your reports about the concierge services, this area is the most dedicated to our guests needs, we will follow up your comments with the Chief Concierge because this is not normal in our daily operation.

We truly hope to have another opportunity to welcome you again and redeem ourselves and offer you the best experience with a unique service and facilities which always have distinguished us.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently returned from Secrets Silversands in Riviera Maya, Mexico. This was our first visit to a Secrets (Dreams) resort. I am an avid Sandals / Beaches visitor all around the Caribbean and I have to honestly say the service at Secrets was the best I have ever encountered. The attentiveness, cheerfulness, respectful and sincere "pleasure to serve you" attitudes were abundantly apparently throughout the property. From restaurants to pool bars to shop workers, everyone couldn't do enough. They were friendly and courteous and enjoyed their jobs. The food at every restaurant was excellent and so was the service (except once, it was very slow, but I'm not sure if that was the waiter or the cuisine. I'll explain later). I read many reviews about this property before going and at least 25% complained about the food. Well I live in NYC and have access to the best restaurants in the world, so the bar I set for quality food may be alot higher than most. And if I think it was excellent, then you can beilive the guy from Wichita, Kansas that thought the Italian restaurant was lousy or the woman from Quebec who thought the french food was horrible. Whatever. You really can't please everyone. As for the property itself, the rooms were large. I would consider them "small suites", but I had a preferred swim-out room facing the ocean and I loved it. I had a two person jacuzzi tub situated between the bathroom proper and the bedroom. It was quite enjoyable and was quite spacious (I'm 6 foot tall better than 200 lbs and my wife and I were very comfortable in the tub together.) The views were fantastic, the service from the bars was constant (yes, that's right, you could swim around no where near the pool bar and a waitress / waiter would run to get you drinks). I was even sitting on the lounge chair outside my room and was being served. That is unique. The grounds were immaculately maintained. There was no shortage of towels and only slight jockeying for pool side lounge chairs. Actually, if you asked one of the maitenance guys or one of the waitresses to see about getting another lounge chair, it was brought to you in a matter of minutes. There were plenty available at the other pools or around the property. I think the place got crowded over the weekend (It was Labor Day weekend) but still was comfortable and no problem with eating at restaurants.
Now for the food. Breakfast was limited to one restaurant, the World Cafe and was brunch style buffet. You could get eggs, waffles, omlettes made to order, juices, friuts, sausgae and bacon, hot foods with a mexican flare, fresh made friut smoothies, cheeses, cold cuts, muffins and bagels. Plenty of food and constantly restock through the breakfast portion of the day. For lunch, you had the World Cafe again, the Seaside Grill and the Barefoot Grill. The Seaside Grill was one of my favorite restaurants for bothj lunch and dinner. The grouper was excellent and so were the lighter side salads. The Barefoot grill was by the main pool area and had grilled chicken, hamburgers and nachos. Never had guacamole on a burger before. For dinner, the Italian and Japanese restaurants were also favorites. I ate at the Himitsu twice, once at the hibachi grill and once regular style. Both were excellent meals, but do not miss the hibachi grill. Never saw a mexican japanese chef before either. Lots of fun.The Oceana was excellent as well. Seafood and steak. How can you go wrong? The slow dinner I mentioned above was at the Italian restaurant. Literally took 2 hours for dinner, which was unusual for the other restaurants (next closest was 70 minutes?!?). As I stated, it could have been the one waiter on the property who was not all about service or maybe they made the pasta from scratch which added to the wait time. In any event. I had the braised veal which was outrageously tender and tasty. Coffee is good everywhere. I have to say the mexican coffee was exceptionally enjoyable.
OK. Now the negatives, and they are quite mild. Mini-bar in the room is laughable. Airline size bottle of bourbon, tequila and vodka. One each. Juices and waters galore and 4 or 6 7oz. Coronas in the fridge. Could definitely use a make-over. I know it's all inclusive, so go to hte bar and get a drink, but how about asking guests what the like to drink and then give them a 750 ml of it (one or two bootles). Well that's just me. Plus once a bottle was gone, it took two days to replace. Another downer, the cuban cigars were very expensive at the hotel. Half priced in Cancun itself. No need to charge the premium price since it is all-inclusive. Regular price would probably sell four times as many cigars. Example, Cohiba at Secrets: $33, in Cancun at cigar shop: $18. But if you don't smoke cigars, no worries. Final negative, maybe a big one for some, the beach was not very good. The sand is not pristine, most of the waterfront is full of rocks and various items that made walking near the shore unenjoyable. Once you swam out 20 or 30 feet, it was fine. But the water was also not the crystal aqua-blue you would expect. In spots, for sure, but not on a continuous basis. The beaches in Cancun are much nicer and typical caribbean sea blueness. They tried very hard to keep the beaches cleaned each day and picked up alot of seaweed early each morning, so it wasn't covered in crap, it just wasn't what I would call a white-sandy beach. So if you are going here for the beach, DON'T!! But you could always go to the Barracuda Bar and get sloshed instead. Why not, you're on vacation. Just a tip: see if you can install some fans around the outside Veranda Bar area. It is very hot around that area, even at night. The air is stagnante for some reason. It is actually uncomfortable to drink and sweat at the same time. The lobby bar is much cooler, but closes at 11 pm. Just a few well positioned fans that can circulate the air would do the trick.
Oh yea, one other "unusual" thing. I made arrangements for private transportation from the Secrets property into Cancun proper before I left NYC. Actually, it was just a typical van service (USA Transfers) but I wanted to be sure to have a reputable company and not fall victim to "car services" that may be less than worthy, if you know what I mean. Anyway, the morning of my pick up (11 am) I went to the front of the hotel and was stopped by one of the "concierge" gentlemen in front as I tried to enter the van asking me who hired USA Transfers and where was I going? I was taken back just a little, because with my NYC attitude, I told him "I did and it was none of his business". I know that Secrets does arrange transportation for guests and uses a particular company (much lower quality, mind you, then USA Transfers) so they knew it wasn't them who made the arrangement. But who cares. It's my choice and I took USA Transfers. Anyway, after several minutes of arguing and intervention from the USA Transfers driver, they finally "let me leave". I was seroiusly annoyed. As it turns out, the people at Secrets try to stop other hotel chains and all-inclusive places from "stealing" their guests. In other words, they send car services to pick up guests to bring them to their properties to talk them into time-sharing purchases, which Secrets has as well. In fact, Secrets is just as sneaky because they offer to transport people for free to their other properties in Cancun and surrounding areas but never tell you you need to sit through a time-share seminar for the "free" ride until you get to the other property. So, what's good for the goose....but even after voicing my concerns to the REAL concierge in the preferred club, I only got an apology. Hey, about a bottle of wine for dinner or something simple. I didn't expect much...
All-in-all a very enjoyable trip. I would definitely go back, even with my minimal complaints, none of which changed my mind that Secrets is a wonderful place and very well worth the money.
PS - Use USA Transfers for your transportation to and from the airport (or anywhere else). They are inexpensive, courteous, clean, timely and speak English very well.

Room Tip: Get the swim up rooms facing the ocean. Worth the extra dollars.
5  Thank JustACityBoy

Dear JustACityBoy,

We would like to thank you for your visit and for your time to share your review with this stay experience very helpful. This will allow us to identify our opportunity areas and make immediate corrections and offer you the highest levels of service and facilities in every visit.

We are very honored to receive your kind comments about the staff service, they are always looking to surprise our guests with their attentive and friendly service. Thank you for your kind comments about the rooms and the grounds.

It´s a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed the food selection in every restaurant, thank you for your time to suggest your favourite dishes to other travelers.

We regret to know about the wrong impresion caused during your check out with the transportation service, we always reconfirm with the guests about their transportation arrangements, either for the airport or tours, this is a security process we have.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to offer an excellent stay in this paradise.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just for some background this is our 6th all inclusive adult only resort in the last 7 years. We have stayed at El Dorado Royal Casitas in 2006 and 2007, Excellence Punta Cana in 2008 and Excellence Playa Mujeres in 2009 and 2010.

We choose this resort for a few reasons. We wanted good food, service and drinks that were on par with the other resorts we stayed and we wanted more of a nightlife that the others lacked. After reading the reviews on TA we felt this would fit our needs very well.

We stayed at Secret Silversands from Sept 19th to the 26th. I contacted the resort at a few weeks in advance through email (info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com) to request a early check in since we would arrive at the resort around 12:30 as well as ask for a certain location in the resort we would like to stay. We received a quick reply saying they would try their best to accommodate us but could not guarantee anything.

After a short drive from the airport maybe 20 minutes we arrived at Silversands. We were escorted to the Preferred Club and while on our way were shown around some of the resort. Walking from the lobby to the preferred club you walk though main area where all the restaurants are except for the Seaside Grill and Oceana.
We checked in and were very excited to find out all our requested had been granted. We were assigned room 3401 which is right above the infinity pool with a view of the entire resort and a view of the ocean. The room was actually on the corner where they play the big video projections at night.
The room came with a bottle of champagne and a couple of apples and strawberries. Three airline size bottles of liquor. Rum Vodka both brands I never heard of and a bottle of Jack. We never did drink any of them. They had a few treats like a snickers bar M&M's and some Mexican peanut looking things. The mini bar had the usual beer soda OJ and water all of which was replaced each day without a problem.

The resort it self is not very big but the layout is nice. It is basically sent up so all the rooms are on the outside of the resort and all the grounds pools and restaurants are in the middle. There are 2 pools kinda of hidden away outside of the main resort for those who want some quite.

We ate at all the restaurants they offered and the food was very good. Some better then others but nothing I would say was bad. At times you don't know what to order because some portions are small and then others were humongous again no issue.
We are normally early eaters. We never ate later then 7 so we never had a wait for meals. I only saw 2 or 3 people have buzzers waiting to eat over the week and 2 of them I know didn't wait for then 15-20 minutes and this was around 830-900.
Service speed wasn't fast but we like to take our time and enjoy some wine and not feel rushed so this was perfect for us. The service it self was great. We always got what we ordered and always had our glasses filled with water and wine without ever having to ask. Many times we had to tell them no more just so we could get up and leave. But that's a good problem and not a negative at all. Many times we were told if we order something and we didnt like it tell them and they will bring something else.

We loved having drinks at the Rendezvous bar after dinner to listen to the live music each night until it ended then they started the music outside at the Veranda bar or the show started and we moved outside to enjoy that. This is where the majority of the people congregated all night. When we wanted some alone time then we went to the Barracuda bar by the ocean. To bad they don’t do anything music wise out there. Most days there were just a few people out there. And a few times it was just us at night. But I suppose that can be a plus for some also.
We tried the Desires nightclub but it was too loud to do anything but dance. You couldn't have a conversation at all so we spent all of 20 minutes in there and that was enough.
The liquor selection was nice they had enough to make most happy they even had an espresso machine at the Veranda bar.
Service was great at most of the bars although we are partial to Russell who worked in the Rendezvous bar. He always called us by our names and always asked what we did each day and made sure we were happy. The day before we left we had to get pictures with him and we let him know he had a huge part in us enjoying our vacation. He is a definite asset to Secrets and they are lucky to have him.

I used the gym a few times. It’s not too bad although the weight equipment looks like it’s about 25 years old. The cardio stuff is nice if that’s your thing though. It had a smith machine dumbbells then went up to 50lbs. A pullup/dip stand, cable machine and a few other assorted machines if free weights aren't your thing. They had a few TV’s as well.

I also saw a putting green but never did see anyone use it. Don’t know if they have putters to use or if you needed to bring your own. But it was in decent shape.

We used the Preferred Club a few times to grab a drink while we would get ready for dinner. But be careful, if they ask you if you would like a happy drink say no. LOL My wife ordered a glass of wine to bring up to the room and she ended up with a drinking glass full. Ended up being about 1/2 the bottle. LOL You've been warned!

Service around the pools was prompt all week. Never had to wait long for a drink or long before you were asked if you needed one. For the most part we never had an issue finding a chair around the pools. The lone exception was if you wanted to be right in the middle of the daily games that happen around the pool bar those were always taken early. Besides that we always found a good place to sit. The one issue I would have is the limited shade around all the pools. The shade they do have has slates in them kind of like a fence. So it allows some sun though. We just made sure to be responsible about applying sunscreen and we never had a problem with burns at all.

We did two things off the resort and I would recommend them both. The first is the Jungle Spa. If you like massages but not the prices most resort charge give them a try. It’s about a 10 minute drive from the resort. I read about the bad area you drive though to get to the Jungle Spa and while it is very poor it is perfectly safe and there is no reason to worry. Once you get through the residential area you are literally in a jungle. The taxi cab ride was 25 usd each way. It is not the clean prissy spa you are used to. So if this is what you want I wouldn’t go. It is all under a palapa outside with just screens around the palapa to keep the bugs out. We did an hour massage and it was only 40usd each. And 75% of the money goes to the Mayan women who give the massages not the owner.

We also took a trip to Isla Mujeres which was the highlight of our trip and one we put off doing in the previous two trips to Mexico.
The taxi ride was expensive $50usd each way so be aware of this. Then there was a $14usd charge person for the Ultramar ferry at Grand Puerto. We rode over to the island inside the ferry and the condition of the ferry was really nice. They had snacks and drinks for sale that were not overly expensive. The ride was maybe 15 minutes in total and if you have issues with seasickness I would choose the inside to ride. We rode back up top outside and it was slightly bumpier of a ride. Again no big deal but if you get motion sickness or seasickness I could be tough for you.
We rented a golf cart for $40usd for all day which is just about the exact price for most of the rental places. They ask for your driver’s license as collateral and you will get it back when you turn in the cart. Driving around the streets on a cart was fun and didn’t feel dangerous one bit even though you are sharing it with full size cars as well. Just stay to the right when fast vehicle are coming up behind you. There are a ton of things to see and do and I recommend purchasing a Mapchick map to help point you in the right direction. Without putting a website out there you can just easy find it by using Google search.

I gave this the same rating as the Excellence Resorts although I do think Silversands is just a step below those two resorts. Both are fantastic places to visit. I just think you need to decide what’s the better fit for you.. I think Excellence is more for relaxing and romance first and then having fun second. While I think Secrets Silversands is more about fun and games first then relaxing and romance second. If this makes sense.

Hope this review was helpful and if there is anything I can help answer feel free to contact me through private messaging.

3  Thank kaliman91
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I loved secret silversandsfrom the moment you check in until you check out you will have the best holiday!!The service is exceptional nothing is too much trouble for anybodyeverybody is always happy and they do everything they can to make sure you have a
wonderful holiday
special thanks to carla for arranging my lovely flowers,andrea(worldcafe)felipe,mercedes&amanda pool bars,the lovely guy at the rendevous bar forgotten his name (big manceser united fan) thank-you all so much

3  Thank janet c

Dear janet c,

Thank you for your time to share your comments about your stay experience. We are very honored to know about the amazing service and the time you had with Karla, Andrea, Felipe, Mercedes and Amanda. It´s a pleasure to know about the wonderful holiday you had.

We will be waiting for your return.
Kind Regards,

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!