“Prepare to be disappointed if you stay here”

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The beach is the worst one we've ever seen in Mexico -- very rocky and only 2 feet deep. Our room was uncomfortably hot. We wasted lots of time trying to get a cooler one. Concierge wasn't interested in helping until we asked for a manager. Matre des refused to seat us as a group unless they got a sizeable tip. Outdoor entertainment room uncomfortably hot. Dangerous to walk around the hotel -- we're aware of at least 6 people who fell (non-alcohol related). Concierge was not interested when we reported it. Overpriced and a one apple vacation for us. We'd never go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Marilyn W
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Dear Marilyn W,

We would like to thank you for your time to post a review, this allow us to identify our opportunity areas, every suggestion and report made by our guests help us to take the immediate corrective actions.

We regret to know that our beach didn´t met your expectations, we are located very close to the second largest coral reef in the world and this is why our beach area is different from others in the Riviera Maya. This is a great opportunity to enjoy unique experiences like snorkel, dive or sunbathing.

We also regret about the wrong first impression caused for the service at the restaurants when you were trying to accomodate your group. We try to keep the romantic and private ambiance in our restaurants, this is one of the highlights which distinguish Secrets Resorts from another brands, so when groups of guests have tried to have a dinner all together, we offer them a private space in one of our spots specially created for groups, this is offered with a special menu and special wine brands and this comes with an addittional charge, otherwise guests can enjoy the all-inclusive meals in all of our restaurants with a maximun occupancy of 4 persons per table.

We are very surprised with your reports about the concierge services, this area is the most dedicated to our guests needs, we will follow up your comments with the Chief Concierge because this is not normal in our daily operation.

We truly hope to have another opportunity to welcome you again and redeem ourselves and offer you the best experience with a unique service and facilities which always have distinguished us.

Kind Regards,

There are newer reviews for Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently returned from Secrets Silversands in Riviera Maya, Mexico. This was our first visit to a Secrets (Dreams) resort. I am an avid Sandals / Beaches visitor all around the Caribbean and I have to honestly say the service at Secrets was the best I have ever encountered. The attentiveness, cheerfulness, respectful and sincere "pleasure to serve you" attitudes were abundantly apparently throughout the property. From restaurants to pool bars to shop workers, everyone couldn't do enough. They were friendly and courteous and enjoyed their jobs. The food at every restaurant was excellent and so was the service (except once, it was very slow, but I'm not sure if that was the waiter or the cuisine. I'll explain later). I read many reviews about this property before going and at least 25% complained about the food. Well I live in NYC and have access to the best restaurants in the world, so the bar I set for quality food may be alot higher than most. And if I think it was excellent, then you can beilive the guy from Wichita, Kansas that thought the Italian restaurant was lousy or the woman from Quebec who thought the french food was horrible. Whatever. You really can't please everyone. As for the property itself, the rooms were large. I would consider them "small suites", but I had a preferred swim-out room facing the ocean and I loved it. I had a two person jacuzzi tub situated between the bathroom proper and the bedroom. It was quite enjoyable and was quite spacious (I'm 6 foot tall better than 200 lbs and my wife and I were very comfortable in the tub together.) The views were fantastic, the service from the bars was constant (yes, that's right, you could swim around no where near the pool bar and a waitress / waiter would run to get you drinks). I was even sitting on the lounge chair outside my room and was being served. That is unique. The grounds were immaculately maintained. There was no shortage of towels and only slight jockeying for pool side lounge chairs. Actually, if you asked one of the maitenance guys or one of the waitresses to see about getting another lounge chair, it was brought to you in a matter of minutes. There were plenty available at the other pools or around the property. I think the place got crowded over the weekend (It was Labor Day weekend) but still was comfortable and no problem with eating at restaurants.
Now for the food. Breakfast was limited to one restaurant, the World Cafe and was brunch style buffet. You could get eggs, waffles, omlettes made to order, juices, friuts, sausgae and bacon, hot foods with a mexican flare, fresh made friut smoothies, cheeses, cold cuts, muffins and bagels. Plenty of food and constantly restock through the breakfast portion of the day. For lunch, you had the World Cafe again, the Seaside Grill and the Barefoot Grill. The Seaside Grill was one of my favorite restaurants for bothj lunch and dinner. The grouper was excellent and so were the lighter side salads. The Barefoot grill was by the main pool area and had grilled chicken, hamburgers and nachos. Never had guacamole on a burger before. For dinner, the Italian and Japanese restaurants were also favorites. I ate at the Himitsu twice, once at the hibachi grill and once regular style. Both were excellent meals, but do not miss the hibachi grill. Never saw a mexican japanese chef before either. Lots of fun.The Oceana was excellent as well. Seafood and steak. How can you go wrong? The slow dinner I mentioned above was at the Italian restaurant. Literally took 2 hours for dinner, which was unusual for the other restaurants (next closest was 70 minutes?!?). As I stated, it could have been the one waiter on the property who was not all about service or maybe they made the pasta from scratch which added to the wait time. In any event. I had the braised veal which was outrageously tender and tasty. Coffee is good everywhere. I have to say the mexican coffee was exceptionally enjoyable.
OK. Now the negatives, and they are quite mild. Mini-bar in the room is laughable. Airline size bottle of bourbon, tequila and vodka. One each. Juices and waters galore and 4 or 6 7oz. Coronas in the fridge. Could definitely use a make-over. I know it's all inclusive, so go to hte bar and get a drink, but how about asking guests what the like to drink and then give them a 750 ml of it (one or two bootles). Well that's just me. Plus once a bottle was gone, it took two days to replace. Another downer, the cuban cigars were very expensive at the hotel. Half priced in Cancun itself. No need to charge the premium price since it is all-inclusive. Regular price would probably sell four times as many cigars. Example, Cohiba at Secrets: $33, in Cancun at cigar shop: $18. But if you don't smoke cigars, no worries. Final negative, maybe a big one for some, the beach was not very good. The sand is not pristine, most of the waterfront is full of rocks and various items that made walking near the shore unenjoyable. Once you swam out 20 or 30 feet, it was fine. But the water was also not the crystal aqua-blue you would expect. In spots, for sure, but not on a continuous basis. The beaches in Cancun are much nicer and typical caribbean sea blueness. They tried very hard to keep the beaches cleaned each day and picked up alot of seaweed early each morning, so it wasn't covered in crap, it just wasn't what I would call a white-sandy beach. So if you are going here for the beach, DON'T!! But you could always go to the Barracuda Bar and get sloshed instead. Why not, you're on vacation. Just a tip: see if you can install some fans around the outside Veranda Bar area. It is very hot around that area, even at night. The air is stagnante for some reason. It is actually uncomfortable to drink and sweat at the same time. The lobby bar is much cooler, but closes at 11 pm. Just a few well positioned fans that can circulate the air would do the trick.
Oh yea, one other "unusual" thing. I made arrangements for private transportation from the Secrets property into Cancun proper before I left NYC. Actually, it was just a typical van service (USA Transfers) but I wanted to be sure to have a reputable company and not fall victim to "car services" that may be less than worthy, if you know what I mean. Anyway, the morning of my pick up (11 am) I went to the front of the hotel and was stopped by one of the "concierge" gentlemen in front as I tried to enter the van asking me who hired USA Transfers and where was I going? I was taken back just a little, because with my NYC attitude, I told him "I did and it was none of his business". I know that Secrets does arrange transportation for guests and uses a particular company (much lower quality, mind you, then USA Transfers) so they knew it wasn't them who made the arrangement. But who cares. It's my choice and I took USA Transfers. Anyway, after several minutes of arguing and intervention from the USA Transfers driver, they finally "let me leave". I was seroiusly annoyed. As it turns out, the people at Secrets try to stop other hotel chains and all-inclusive places from "stealing" their guests. In other words, they send car services to pick up guests to bring them to their properties to talk them into time-sharing purchases, which Secrets has as well. In fact, Secrets is just as sneaky because they offer to transport people for free to their other properties in Cancun and surrounding areas but never tell you you need to sit through a time-share seminar for the "free" ride until you get to the other property. So, what's good for the goose....but even after voicing my concerns to the REAL concierge in the preferred club, I only got an apology. Hey, about a bottle of wine for dinner or something simple. I didn't expect much...
All-in-all a very enjoyable trip. I would definitely go back, even with my minimal complaints, none of which changed my mind that Secrets is a wonderful place and very well worth the money.
PS - Use USA Transfers for your transportation to and from the airport (or anywhere else). They are inexpensive, courteous, clean, timely and speak English very well.

Room Tip: Get the swim up rooms facing the ocean. Worth the extra dollars.
5  Thank JustACityBoy

Dear JustACityBoy,

We would like to thank you for your visit and for your time to share your review with this stay experience very helpful. This will allow us to identify our opportunity areas and make immediate corrections and offer you the highest levels of service and facilities in every visit.

We are very honored to receive your kind comments about the staff service, they are always looking to surprise our guests with their attentive and friendly service. Thank you for your kind comments about the rooms and the grounds.

It´s a pleasure to know that you have enjoyed the food selection in every restaurant, thank you for your time to suggest your favourite dishes to other travelers.

We regret to know about the wrong impresion caused during your check out with the transportation service, we always reconfirm with the guests about their transportation arrangements, either for the airport or tours, this is a security process we have.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to offer an excellent stay in this paradise.
Sunny Regards,

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Just for some background this is our 6th all inclusive adult only resort in the last 7 years. We have stayed at El Dorado Royal Casitas in 2006 and 2007, Excellence Punta Cana in 2008 and Excellence Playa Mujeres in 2009 and 2010.

We choose this resort for a few reasons. We wanted good food, service and drinks that were on par with the other resorts we stayed and we wanted more of a nightlife that the others lacked. After reading the reviews on TA we felt this would fit our needs very well.

We stayed at Secret Silversands from Sept 19th to the 26th. I contacted the resort at a few weeks in advance through email (info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com) to request a early check in since we would arrive at the resort around 12:30 as well as ask for a certain location in the resort we would like to stay. We received a quick reply saying they would try their best to accommodate us but could not guarantee anything.

After a short drive from the airport maybe 20 minutes we arrived at Silversands. We were escorted to the Preferred Club and while on our way were shown around some of the resort. Walking from the lobby to the preferred club you walk though main area where all the restaurants are except for the Seaside Grill and Oceana.
We checked in and were very excited to find out all our requested had been granted. We were assigned room 3401 which is right above the infinity pool with a view of the entire resort and a view of the ocean. The room was actually on the corner where they play the big video projections at night.
The room came with a bottle of champagne and a couple of apples and strawberries. Three airline size bottles of liquor. Rum Vodka both brands I never heard of and a bottle of Jack. We never did drink any of them. They had a few treats like a snickers bar M&M's and some Mexican peanut looking things. The mini bar had the usual beer soda OJ and water all of which was replaced each day without a problem.

The resort it self is not very big but the layout is nice. It is basically sent up so all the rooms are on the outside of the resort and all the grounds pools and restaurants are in the middle. There are 2 pools kinda of hidden away outside of the main resort for those who want some quite.

We ate at all the restaurants they offered and the food was very good. Some better then others but nothing I would say was bad. At times you don't know what to order because some portions are small and then others were humongous again no issue.
We are normally early eaters. We never ate later then 7 so we never had a wait for meals. I only saw 2 or 3 people have buzzers waiting to eat over the week and 2 of them I know didn't wait for then 15-20 minutes and this was around 830-900.
Service speed wasn't fast but we like to take our time and enjoy some wine and not feel rushed so this was perfect for us. The service it self was great. We always got what we ordered and always had our glasses filled with water and wine without ever having to ask. Many times we had to tell them no more just so we could get up and leave. But that's a good problem and not a negative at all. Many times we were told if we order something and we didnt like it tell them and they will bring something else.

We loved having drinks at the Rendezvous bar after dinner to listen to the live music each night until it ended then they started the music outside at the Veranda bar or the show started and we moved outside to enjoy that. This is where the majority of the people congregated all night. When we wanted some alone time then we went to the Barracuda bar by the ocean. To bad they don’t do anything music wise out there. Most days there were just a few people out there. And a few times it was just us at night. But I suppose that can be a plus for some also.
We tried the Desires nightclub but it was too loud to do anything but dance. You couldn't have a conversation at all so we spent all of 20 minutes in there and that was enough.
The liquor selection was nice they had enough to make most happy they even had an espresso machine at the Veranda bar.
Service was great at most of the bars although we are partial to Russell who worked in the Rendezvous bar. He always called us by our names and always asked what we did each day and made sure we were happy. The day before we left we had to get pictures with him and we let him know he had a huge part in us enjoying our vacation. He is a definite asset to Secrets and they are lucky to have him.

I used the gym a few times. It’s not too bad although the weight equipment looks like it’s about 25 years old. The cardio stuff is nice if that’s your thing though. It had a smith machine dumbbells then went up to 50lbs. A pullup/dip stand, cable machine and a few other assorted machines if free weights aren't your thing. They had a few TV’s as well.

I also saw a putting green but never did see anyone use it. Don’t know if they have putters to use or if you needed to bring your own. But it was in decent shape.

We used the Preferred Club a few times to grab a drink while we would get ready for dinner. But be careful, if they ask you if you would like a happy drink say no. LOL My wife ordered a glass of wine to bring up to the room and she ended up with a drinking glass full. Ended up being about 1/2 the bottle. LOL You've been warned!

Service around the pools was prompt all week. Never had to wait long for a drink or long before you were asked if you needed one. For the most part we never had an issue finding a chair around the pools. The lone exception was if you wanted to be right in the middle of the daily games that happen around the pool bar those were always taken early. Besides that we always found a good place to sit. The one issue I would have is the limited shade around all the pools. The shade they do have has slates in them kind of like a fence. So it allows some sun though. We just made sure to be responsible about applying sunscreen and we never had a problem with burns at all.

We did two things off the resort and I would recommend them both. The first is the Jungle Spa. If you like massages but not the prices most resort charge give them a try. It’s about a 10 minute drive from the resort. I read about the bad area you drive though to get to the Jungle Spa and while it is very poor it is perfectly safe and there is no reason to worry. Once you get through the residential area you are literally in a jungle. The taxi cab ride was 25 usd each way. It is not the clean prissy spa you are used to. So if this is what you want I wouldn’t go. It is all under a palapa outside with just screens around the palapa to keep the bugs out. We did an hour massage and it was only 40usd each. And 75% of the money goes to the Mayan women who give the massages not the owner.

We also took a trip to Isla Mujeres which was the highlight of our trip and one we put off doing in the previous two trips to Mexico.
The taxi ride was expensive $50usd each way so be aware of this. Then there was a $14usd charge person for the Ultramar ferry at Grand Puerto. We rode over to the island inside the ferry and the condition of the ferry was really nice. They had snacks and drinks for sale that were not overly expensive. The ride was maybe 15 minutes in total and if you have issues with seasickness I would choose the inside to ride. We rode back up top outside and it was slightly bumpier of a ride. Again no big deal but if you get motion sickness or seasickness I could be tough for you.
We rented a golf cart for $40usd for all day which is just about the exact price for most of the rental places. They ask for your driver’s license as collateral and you will get it back when you turn in the cart. Driving around the streets on a cart was fun and didn’t feel dangerous one bit even though you are sharing it with full size cars as well. Just stay to the right when fast vehicle are coming up behind you. There are a ton of things to see and do and I recommend purchasing a Mapchick map to help point you in the right direction. Without putting a website out there you can just easy find it by using Google search.

I gave this the same rating as the Excellence Resorts although I do think Silversands is just a step below those two resorts. Both are fantastic places to visit. I just think you need to decide what’s the better fit for you.. I think Excellence is more for relaxing and romance first and then having fun second. While I think Secrets Silversands is more about fun and games first then relaxing and romance second. If this makes sense.

Hope this review was helpful and if there is anything I can help answer feel free to contact me through private messaging.

3  Thank kaliman91
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I loved secret silversandsfrom the moment you check in until you check out you will have the best holiday!!The service is exceptional nothing is too much trouble for anybodyeverybody is always happy and they do everything they can to make sure you have a
wonderful holiday
special thanks to carla for arranging my lovely flowers,andrea(worldcafe)felipe,mercedes&amanda pool bars,the lovely guy at the rendevous bar forgotten his name (big manceser united fan) thank-you all so much

3  Thank janet c

Dear janet c,

Thank you for your time to share your comments about your stay experience. We are very honored to know about the amazing service and the time you had with Karla, Andrea, Felipe, Mercedes and Amanda. It´s a pleasure to know about the wonderful holiday you had.

We will be waiting for your return.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at The Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun resort from 8/16-8/23 and had a fantastic time! There really isn't anything we can complain about. Great sized beach and it was constantly being raked and cleaned up. The beach service was perfect. Our favorite server Viviana met us our first day and remembered our names the entire time. I suppose it's part of their job, but it made us feel special! The entire wait staff on the beach was great. Our room was beautiful and on a high floor as we requested. It was very very clean. Entertainment staff were enthusiastic and always friendly. We really enjoyed the restaurants we went to (didn't make it to the French one). Buffets for breakfast and lunch had a ton of offerings. WE did not take advantage of the spa, so I have no comment on that. We really do not have a complaint. Only the nightly electric outage for a second was weird, but we even got used to that. We hope to visit again!

Room Tip: I like a high floor room- no noise above! Our room was pool view not ocean view but to be honest, I...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We arrived on 16th September for 11 nights and it was our first time in Mexico and also staying in a Secrets resort. Randy on the concierge desk took us to our rooms and was extremely helpful, polite, chatty and showed us around as we walked which was lovely, he also showed us around the room as to where everything is, really helpful and nice guy. He came to say goodbye which was really nice to know that he remembered us. It was immaculate and very well maintained every day, the beach workers do a fantastic job clearing away the seaweed and the grounds staff also do an amazing job keeping the resort looking fabulous. We were impressed with the endless supply of towels you can get that was great and the staff work extremely hard in making sure they are stocked up. The weather was lovely and hot there was only one day during our stay that rained. We went on a day pass trip to the Secrets Maroma and spoke with Caesar on the concierge desk it turned out to be a nightmare experience, as when we arrived we were basically given a hard sell of buying into a membership where they showed us a room and the resort. thought we were only spending a relaxing day there and when we said no the the membership as you had to lay out a big sum to join which was ridiculous. The guy Rodrigo showed us out of the resort to get a taxi back, which we were all confused about because and when we arrived back Caesar said "why are we back so early we should not be back till around 5pm" we told him all about it which he was disgusted to hear and said he would sort this out and yet we never received an apology from that Maroma resort nor did we receive anything from Caesar as to how it was resolved etc which we were most surprised and annoyed about.
The Restaurants
The food was really lovely and the atmosphere of each one was very relaxing, we most enjoyed the Bordeaux (French) restaurant as the food there was divine and the staff were extremely attentive and kept your drinks topped up. All the restaurants have a fantastic individual look and superb ambiance, the only negative comment, it was a little dark to read the menu's the lighting could be adjusted a tiny bit, although the Portofino (Italian) and the Sea Side Grill were a little brighter. We had an amazing experience in the Himitsu restaurant at the Hibachi table which was a wow factor, seeing the chef cook all these fantastic ingredients in front of you and seeing there skills it was defiantly worth going to and i would recommend that. Can't remember the name of the chef who was cooking he was brilliant great moves with the knifes truly incredible we went there on Thursday 27th Sept. The world cafe serves an amazing choice of breakfast the menu is so vast it was excellent and cooked so well. We did not enjoy the Ratatouille restaurant as we got pestered into buying a bottle of wine by the manager, when we asked if we can use our coupon that was fine and we asked if we could bring this back the next day as we left them in our room, the manager said that was fine, however when we took this back the next day they would not except it, the higher manager of all the restaurants got involved which was all very uncomfortable as we were basically accused of lying which was very unpleasant especially as we are the customers here. In the end we did get our discount. The front desk should make that clearer when giving out the booklet of coupons. Please be aware that if you get given any coupon vouchers you need to ensure you carry these with you at all times if you want a discount off a bottle of wine etc so you can give the coupon there and then.
The Rooms
They were truly amazing we were most impressed with how spacious they are and the décor was beautiful really modem, the rooms were cleaned very well and during the last few days of our holiday the cleaners made some animals with the towels which were a lovely touch. It said in the holiday brochure that there was an ipod doc but we could not not find this in the room. The mini bar was stocked daily although i think there could of been some variety as there was only beer and soft drinks, and we were not a fan of beer it would of been nice to of had some of their Mexican Tequila or even miniatures of wine etc however we did not ask if this could be changed so i would recommend finding out if you can customize your mini bar.
Entertainment staff
We met some really lovely people within the entertainment team George (he does have a different name we struggled to pronounce it, so he goes by the name of George) he really made us feel welcome and always chatted to us to see how we are and overall and great entertainer. We also met Alex he was really funny, great sense of humour always asked how we are, he is really fun at doing the Bingo (which seemed to be our highlight of the day!) he tried very hard at getting us involved in activities. Overall a great guy. Marisa took us on the bike tour which was brilliant and she is really fun and has a great personality, really down to earth and very likeable. Jackie Chan is really funky always up for a laugh and is very friendly. There was one entertainer that came back from her vacation we only noticed her during our last few days, and found her exceptionally annoying, just too much, very loud over the top, extremely flirty with the guy entertainers which was a bit uncomfortable to see as it was in your face her name is Marianna just a nightmare. But hey we all have our own opinions and she was not our cup of tea.
Pool Staff (daytime)
We met some fantastic pool staff who served drinks during the day Nora, Amanda, Alonzo, Inncento, they were all very friendly and chatty, Inncento, Nora, Amanda helped us learn some Spanish which was brilliant and lots of fun.
Evening Staff
The evening waitresses were very efficient at ensuring you had refreshments, and kept you topped up which was excellent. The bar staff were also very attentive and ensured you are all ok for drinks. Frankchelly was our favourite waitress she is so lovely and works extremely hard to ensure you are happy, she has a great personality, she also helped us with our Spanish she was interested in learning about our culture and country which was really nice, and it was very interesting hearing about the Mexican culture and the history. It was really great and nice that she took the time to speak to us and get to know us, we have defiantly made a friend.
Other Important comments
We were surprised that there was no free shuttle bus service to the nearest shopping centre/mall and to other Secret resorts going for a day pass especially as this is 5 star all inclusive. I think that would of been used allot by the guests to experience all the other Secret resorts and the culture of Mexico, it would be a great marketing tool for the all the Secrets resorts. Spa is outstanding amazing facilities there i would recommend you use this as that is incredible.

Room Tip: We had rooms that overlooked the spa area which is the quiet side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SezLouiseH
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just back from 2 weeks at SSS. An adult only all inclusive - we had a free upgrade with Virgin Travel of a swim up room. We had a great time and can't criticise anything.

The trip from the airport was 20 minutes, we were welcomed with Champagne and were quickly settled into our room. The room was large with a spa bath and opened up to our own sun-loungers next to the pool - great.

There are 8 pools, 8 bars and 8 restuarants - all of them good.

Service was excellent, the bars are well stocked with international brands and we found all the restuarants to be of a high quality. Breakfast in the world cafe had a massive choice including 'cooked while you wait' and juices, smoothies etc. Lunch is also available in the world cafe, the beach bar or the sea side grill - again quality was excellent.

Evening meals were available from any of the themed restaurants, without reservations. We also went on the kitchen tour and had a complimentary meal at the Himatichi table - which was fantastic.

The main pool, with swim up bar, can be noisy as the alcohol takes effect - if that bothers you - simply sit by one of the other 7 pools.

We sat on the beach, were served drinks all day by the excellent bar staff straight to the sun lounger. The sea isn't good for swimming, but the pool is just a few feet away.

We used the spa twice - a lovely 'treat', the gym was good and we also went on the bike ride. Evening entertainment was OK.

We'd be happy to recommend this hotel, we had a great time and can't see why you shouldn't either.

Room Tip: The swim up rooms on all grounds floors are worth it.
1  Thank Bri-anT1963
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!