“4th visit - We just love it here !!!”

Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
louisiana
“4th visit - We just love it here !!!”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

This was my 4th stay at SSS so I wanted to review it again since a couple of things have changed.

Airport and Check in – Customs moved right along this time and we got the green light so no delay there. Our transfers were with Cancun Transfers and they were waiting with my name on a sign , had a car in about 5 minutes and off to resort we go. We were greeted with a cool washcloth and a glass of champagne and were seated immediately at desk for check in. We had arrived at 12:40 and our room was ready, a nice surprise. We were given a room in bldg 2 and had someone show us to our room.

Room - All the rooms are the same; beautiful and spacious. Our mini fridge was empty when we checked in, the bellman looked surprised, but were told that they would fill it soon. It took one more call that afternoon and someone came up right away and filled it with the drinks we like. We tried to keep our room cool by always keeping the curtains closed during the day when we were out and it helped some. This is one area that needs improving; it would be nice to be cooler especially at night. One thing that would help is if the ceiling fan were over the bed. The room was always cleaned when we came back in afternoon and the towels were replaced again at turndown service every night.

Beach - we had friends join us this year and it was their first time at resort. They said well what is all the fuss about the beach for, it is beautiful. They had read trip advisor and were expecting something awful. There was not much seaweed at all this trip, I have been where it takes all day to clean it off but not this year. I love the decks that they added. One very nice thing is the area where they have cleared rocks away. You can go in without water shoes up to your waist in beautiful clear water. I have never seen so many people in the water. We brought water shoes and walked across the rocks in to the next part of clear water and did some snorkeling. We always found chairs in the shade and the drink service was great. We had either frozen mimosas or strawberry-banana daiquiris as our first drink of the day. Our waiter one day had never had anyone order frozen mimosas, he said in 21 years he never took that drink order before, I said it’s good. He wrote on his order pad, mimosa – frozen – it’s good, ha. One day they brought around cool fruit on a stick, that was very refreshing.

Pools - We only went in 2 of the 8 pools – the main pool and the infinity pool.
Main pool – Always had a blue float available. This pool was nice in the morning and even around noon is wasn’t bad. One day at 1:00 we were the only ones sitting in the cool whirlpool part of pool and there was only one couple floating around on the quiet side of main pool. The swim up bar was crowded and there was a water volleyball game going on and lots of people in middle but still areas of quiet there. Twice we went around 3-4 and it was very loud and rowdy, by then too much drinking had occurred. The music is louder than in years past but wasn’t offensive.

Infinity Pool – I just love this pool; always cool water and quiet time. The drink service is great at this pool and we met some really nice people. Others also said that they came here to escape the rowdy crowd in main pool. It’s nice to have a choice.

Room service – I used room service almost every morning when I would wake up early. I just ordered a pot of coffee and some pastries. This was nice to have while we were getting ready for the day, just a bite before that big breakfast. They always left it in our secret box which was nice. We ordered chicken wings late at night a couple of times. The resort also prepared box lunches for the guys for their fishing trip.

Entertainment – Since we were up early we didn’t catch many shows. The comedy show – Zimmerman – was not funny at all. The fire show on the beach was really good. The night they had a Mexican fiesta set up they also had dancers and that was good too. The managers meet and greet was nice and I got to meet Karla. The entertainment staff during the day did a great job, always coming around telling us what activity was going on but never insisting that we join in. Didn’t see any rowdy games going on in main pool, just water volleyball and a couple of other games. We played bingo one day and enjoyed the martini demonstration and tasting.

Restaurants – Dress code – First of all, who doesn’t read the dress code when traveling? Every night we saw guys trying to get in restaurants with shorts and flip flops on and they were surprised when they couldn’t get in. All the ladies were dressed really nice, I did however question one night when 2 couples came in and both ladies had on shorts, they had dressy tops and heels but had on short shorts, to me this did not fit dress code but it seems most anything goes for ladies. It was a little warm in most of the restaurants, something we didn’t notice in years past.
Restaurant – Food –
Lunch – Oceana – great shrimp tacos, cervices, grouper sandwich, seafood skewer and coconut ice-cream (all ice-cream was good, chocolate, strawberry, vanilla)
Barefoot grill - Hamburgers, nachos, French fries all good.
World Café – breakfast – omelets made to order and you can also order fried eggs. Waffles were good and I added pecans to mine, fruit was good. Such a wide variety of food for everyone.
Portofino – This was one of our favorite meals. Garlic crème soup, stuffed chicken breast, prime pork, and the sherbet trio for dessert
El Patio – fried cheese, Aztec soup, beef tenderloin, chocolate soufflé
Bordeaux – cheese soup
Ratatouille – lamb chops (so tender), crème broulee

Drinks - Here is where I was disappointed , I’ve always been able to get a Golden margarita with Grand Marnier and now they don’t carry it anymore  They did make me a good margarita with 1800 tequila but it just wasn’t the same. We tried many different drinks while we were there and they were all made good; just ask for the good stuff.

Going out and about - One day we were going to Jungle Spa and then shopping in Puerto Morelos and we took a van from SSS and the driver stayed with us all afternoon, that was a nice to know that he would be there waiting for us. He offered to bring us to Cancun shopping also if we wanted but we were ready to get back to resort. We also went to Little Mexican Cooking School and deep sea fishing.

In years past, the electricity would blink off in the evening sometimes several times, this did not happen not one night on this trip, yay.

It was a very, very relaxing trip and we look forward to going back for visit number 5.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank grumpyswife
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Dear grumpyswife,

It´s a pleasure to have the opportunity to say hello one more time, it was a pleasure to meet you and your husband and have a little nice chat at our Management cocktail. Thank you for your preference and choose us for the 4th time.

We would also like to thank you for your time to share your stay experience, it´s a very complete review and we are grateful for your kind comments and for all your suggestions, a repetitive guest like you give us a great feedback and orientation to keep surprising you in every stay with a wonderful and memorable time.

Hope the 5th visit arrives fast!

Warm Regards,

info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,110)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a two week stay at Secrets Silversands, staying April 21st. until
May 5th. We had a pool view room in the preferred section and loved the quick access to the
infinity pool, beach and quiet pool by our building.
Firstly, we would like to complement Javier Estelrich, the general manager of Secrets Silversands
for running an excellent staff and resort.
When you stay for two weeks, you tend to notice the check systems this resort has in place to
ensure that your stay is an enjoyable one. We noticed the bars, restaurants, kitchens, grounds
and pools being inspected regularly. Very impressive.
We met some wonderful staff during our stay that really added to the enjoyment of the vacation
and they deserve to be mentioned especially for their use of the English language and their
positive, caring work ethic. Javier should be very proud of them. We will miss them but look
forward to seeing them again should we return.
Jazmin at reception.
Sinuhe in the preferred lounge.
Andrea at breakfast and lunch.
Carlos in Ratatouille.
Roger in Himitsu.
Russell in El Patio
Gener and Martin who took care of us at lunch. Happy Birthday Gener!
Rodolpho and Omar at the Lobby Bar.
And last but not least, our "Bella Donna", Mariza Silva in El Patio who we miss already.
Secrets Silversands is a very well run resort, other highlights would be:
Watching concerts projected on a building at night resting on circular loungers with our
Margaritas...Pink Floyd, David Foster, Elton John, Cirque de Soleil to name a few.
Long beach walks in the mornings in either direction along the beach.
We took water and snacks from the room and walked 7kms to Puerto Morelos the one morning.
Japanese Hibachi
Sushi and Chicken Curry in Himitsu.
Lamb Chops in Ratatouille.
Salmon in El Patio.
New York Steak in Seaside Grill.
My wife is 57 years old and I am 59 and we had a wonderful time at Secrets Silversands.
There is a hip, younger vibe around the verandha and main pool bars with plenty to keep you
occupied with many games from the entertainment team.
We chose the quieter areas of the resort but rest assured that this place caters to all age
ranges.
Go see for yourselves!

Room Tip: Preferred rooms are the best.
4 Thank Roka_8
Dear Roka_8,

We would like to thank you for your very detailed review, this is very important for us to know our guests experiences and opinions to improve our service anf facilities to the highests levels.

Thank you for your kind comments, we are so happy to know that you enjoy a wonderful time here, we will make sure to forward your kind comments to Mr. Estelrich and to the rest or the staff who made your stay so special.

We hope to welcome you back very soon.

Kind Regards.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed May 8, 2012

My husband and I traveled to SSS the week of April 28 to May 5th. Overall we had an amazing vacation and think SSS is a great resort but, there are a few things we didnt like and hope this review helps others. Upon arrival we didnt get a glass of champagne and a cold towel like others around us were getting which made me mad. However our room was ready and the check in process was fast and easy. It was taking the luggage guy too long to deliver our bags to our room so we found him in the hall and just grabbed our own suitecases. The room was very clean except the jacuzzi tub was dirty, I didnt bother to complain because those things are sick anyway. The smell people are talking about in the rooms I believe is roach and bug spray which is typical when traveling to warm climates. I never smelled sewage anywhere in the hotel or grounds that other reviews have mentioned. Infact we walked around buildings 5 and 6 out of curiosity and there was no smell. I thought the food at SSS was very good and the variety of restaurants was nice. The barefoot grill was sick though, hotdogs, hamburgers, pizza, nachos and grilled chicken all of which tasted like pure salt. The cook out there was a jerk and seemed annoyed both times we ate there. Aside from the barefoot grill natzi the service here is very good and very fast. We ordered room service everyday and it was delivered under 30 minutes each time. One time around 7pm I had to call room service 3 times before someone picked up, the line was busy but the food came promptly. Their is something for everyone here (gay/lesbian friendly), but I would not recomend this for honeymooners. There is not really a romantic feel for couples. Infact most of the guests were there in groups it seemed. There are several very nice pools all of them quiet except the main pool. The main pool is where the budlight drinking (yes budlight in mexico) rednecks hang out and get loud and wasted all day. They seem to all congrigate with one another so it leaves the rest of the pools quiet for the normal people to enjoy. By mid afternoon the main pool was cloudy with urine and sunscreen. They didnt seem to mind. Over all the resort seems to attract a lot of rednecks. Its a high end resort with some low end people staying at it. My husband and I were trying to have a romantic dinner and one guy was screaming for his waiter across the restauarnt to bring him another drink. This type of behavior happened on more than one occasion. The beach has plenty of chairs if you cant find one at the pool. The beach sucks just as much as people say. Its actually dangerous and I dont know why there are no signs that say enter at your own risk. You can only go in ankle deep before stepping on sharp rocks. One day a guy had to be wheelchaired out of the water due to a serious injury from the rocks. The same day I saw another guy getting first aid on his foot by the hotel dr. This is no joke. Water shoes wont help either.I brought mine and decided that it wasnt worth ruining my vacation over so I gave up. There is a nude beach 20 minutes to the left which is entertaining and you can walk through it. Also the air conditioning is not that great here. It wasnt bad enough to complain about but pretty uncomfortable for men who are required to wear pants at dinner. It made sleeping kind of uncomfortable at times. I think I will try another resort next time mainly because of the obnoxious rednecks and poor beach. Although there were things unpleasant it didnt ruin my vacation. MAJOR FYI FOR WOMEN: all of the floors inside and out are extremely slippery, its all tile. I brought stilletos and couldnt where them, I tried and it was like walking on ice. I would suggest flats or wedges. Thank god I packed wedges. I almost twisted an ankle.

2 Thank A G
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear A G,

We would like to have the opportunity to thank you for your time to share your stay experience.

We overjoyed to know that you enjoyed our staff service and our room service, they will keep very motivated once they read your review and your kind comments.

We regret to know that we didn´t met your expectations in all manners, thank you for your feedback in every area, this is very important for us and we will follow up every detail with every Head department to make the immedate corrective areas and prevent reincidences in the future.

We would love to have the opportunity to host you again near in the future and offer an excellent stay.

Kind Regards,

Montreal
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Well I am so very pleased with all that SSS has done since our last visit. We just returned April 23rd-30th. The first time was May 2010. Wow nice job on the beach and the entertainment options. The restaruants are still amazing however I did not like the outdoor lunch as much as our first visit. The seaside grill was open more than Oceana so the menu got tired quickly. Especially the salad bar option. The sugar reef was quite impressive. The chicken breasts were perfectly seasoned and my husband loved the burgers. If in the evening you see the chef walking around say a nice word to him. Jose Vallejero (executive sous chef) spoke to us our first night in the Bordeaux restaurant. He was truly happy with our comments and cooked us a special meal 2 nights later (foie gras yum yum). We mentioned this in the Portofino and they did the same 2 nights later with a complete table side cooking of 4 beatiful services. We booked a standard swim out this time around and requested building 2 personally to the concierge Karla on facebook. She not only answered all my other questions but when we checked in they have us the same room as last time 3111. Oceanfront swimout. Wow I cannot thank them enough. If you are returning guests I find they really go all out to please you. Great job we will be back.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same however building 2 and 3 are quieter.
1 Thank sunlovermtl
Amarillo, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at Secrets Silversands and throughly enjoyed our stay. We were originally staying in building 6 and our room faced the back of the spa, so there wasn't much of a view but it was a very nice room, it was just that we preferred to be closer to the main pool and area where there was more going on. We were changed to a room that did face the main pool and there was a partial ocean view. It was perfect. The staff was very friendly and helpful, rooms were cleaned and stocked daily. The food was very good and each time we asked what the waiter recommended they never let us down, we never had a bad meal. Ferndinan and Geraldo were fantastic. We did two couple massages, needless to say they were very professional and did a good job. The only downside to the spa, was the changing room, it reminded me of a high school locker room as there was no privacy at all. We have stayed at the Secrets Capri before and their spa is much nicer, but the service is the same.
If you like to have lots of options, then the Silversands is your place. If you want peace and quiet then there is an area for you, if you want to be in the middle of the action, or you want a little of both then this is the place, there is something for everyone. We will definitely stay at the Silversands again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret S
Stevensville, Maryland
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Food was amazing. Rooms were clean and well decorated. Shower was large and wonderful. We had a swim up suite which was amazing. Our waiter continued to bring us drinks and food all week, to our patio, while we were relaxing, in our own lounge chairs. by our swim up pool. It was a very long walk for the waiter but he was wonderful. The food at the buffet was the best buffet food I've ever had. The waiter at the buffet even found the Expresso cart to get our friend an Expresso. The door guy Randy was so nice. Everyone made us feel welcomed. The only complaints are beer needs to be colder, we didn't get our welcome drink and the bartenders at the dance club Desires weren't very friendly. We will go back to Secreats again.

1 Thank Julie B
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 7, 2012

For our second Cancun trip we decided to upgrade to Secrets Silversands from our previous hotel. We're glad we did. Its very good overall with some excellent features.

Beach

We're primarily beach people, so this is where we spent most of our time. The beach itself is fairly wide and long with coral sand. They keep it very clean, removing seaweed daily and raking the entire beach fronting the Silversands property. The beach is also not overrun with people from other resorts or vendors as the resort is somewhat isolated. Beach beverage service was pretty good, though for some reason they never once came to take a drink order from us when we used one of the "beach beds."

The biggest drawback to the beach is that its right on the reef, so the water is only a few feet deep with rocks, coral, seaweed, etc. Not a place to swim, though snorkeling isn't bad depending on the wind direction. The water's clean, in any case.

The water sports concession was so-so. They have 3 catamarans, only 2 of which were ever operating, and sometimes only 1. Not sure why this is the case, as the same company runs the watersports for a lot of resorts and could easily fix/replace broken boat parts if desired. Kayaks seemed always to be available though we didn't partake. The water sports guys also seemed to think they were doing you a favor to let you use a boat. Other way around, senor.

Restaurants

The food was pretty good. Dining in the restaurants was a little odd, though, in the sense that the waiters knew they weren't exactly working for tips, and we knew we couldn't really expect too much in service or food since we didn't have other options. That said, however, the service was very professional, moreso than a lot of fine dining standalone restaurants.

While the service was generally good, the food was pretty mediocre. It varied a little from restaurant to restaurant but not as much as if they were all separate regular restaurants. In several cases, one item would appear on more than one menu with a different sauce to make it suit the restaurant's theme. Overall, we thought Bordeaux was the best and Ratatouille the worst. In no case did we go away hungry, but neither would we return strictly for the food. Portions were just right--enough to fill you up but not so much you were uncomfortable. We really appreciated the desert portions...perfect for hitting the sweet tooth, but just for a few bites.

Breakfast was quite good. Excellent fresh smoothies, fruit, pastries, etc. Good selection of items. Good waffles. Coffee was so-so, but I'm a bit of a snob there.

One positive note--not having to make reservations in advance for the restaurants was welcomed and made planning our day that much more flexible.

Room

Our room was in building 5, which was quiet for the most part. It was ground level so we had a nice sitting area bordering on a pool that was very quiet and relaxing. However, for a couple of hours a night some large piece of machinery was operating just outside the resort fence about 100 yards from our door. It sounded like a large pumping truck. It was never operating after 10:15pm so it didn't keep us up at night, but be aware. Also, our room was near the "swamp" end of the resort (further from the beach), so when the wind blew a certain way you could smell the swamp outside the room. Again, not a deal breaker, but not the vision of paradise you might expect.

The room was clean and comfortable, though the sliding partition between the bathroom/jacuzzi tub and rest of the room was unusual. The mini bar was fully restocked every day with water, beer, and soda. Maid service came at somewhat unpredictable times, but it did come every day before late afternoon.

We didn't try room service as the menu was pretty limited. The "secrets" room service delivery box was pretty cool though.

Hotel

The overall hotel was very nice. The design is modern and elegant and the property is beautifully maintained. We didn't see one neglected area the entire time and everything was very clean.

We used the exercise room once. Pretty good selection of equipment, but don't go in the late afternoon as it is hot hot hot in there. It was, however, quite busy in the morning when we tried to go before breakfast.

The staff were generally friendly and most spoke English comfortably. Other than the water sports staff (separate from the hotel), everyone was helpful.

Being adults only, the resort was mostly pretty relaxed and quiet where it needed to be. It could be a little boisterous near the main pool (and the adjacent beach) but you could find a quieter beach area off to the side, and there were always several very quiet other pools to choose from if that's your thing. The other guests were pretty well-groomed...not so many tattoos as you might see at a lower-level property. A good vibe overall. Bring some nicer clothes for dinner; most people dressed up and it lent a refined feel to the evenings.

So would we go back here? Maybe. The beach/reef was the biggest downer as we like to swim in the ocean. The food would be number two; its just not good enough to entice us back.

Price wise, and overall, this was a worthwhile stay and we enjoyed our vacation, but there's a _lot_ of competition down there, so we'll shop around in the future.

Room Tip: Building 5 is quiet most of the time but is further from the beach.
2 Thank ackbladder
Breathless Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
#6 of 25 in Puerto Morelos

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!