“Excellent Hotel with an awesome shows every night!!!”

Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent Hotel with an awesome shows every night!!!”
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Excellent value for an all inclusive. The pools, staff, food, and shows are great. No problems at all for the durations of our stay. Everything was very clean, and they staff does a great job and is very friendly. The beach is awesome but only for laying out or walking. Not a very good swimming beach because of the reef. Good resort, good time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3,087)
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Except for the beach, who was not as nice as other beaches we have been to, this resort is the best one we have seen!!! Very nice rooms, plenty of choices in restaurants (2 a la carte for lunch and 7 for diner!!!) and awesome service!

If you go to this resort be sure to meet Felipe, waiter on the beach and pool. He was so great we followed him everyday to have him bring us our drinks (who was very good by the way!)

Restaurant: we have never waited more then a few minutes to be seated, no reservation needed! Food was awesome, plenty of choices!

A must seen resort!

7 Thank RitaPitre
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 25, 2011

Our stay was 3/13 thru 3/21. Our room category booked was Preferred Ocean Front. We were so close to the ocean I could see it while lying in bed (see pic). The bed, ahh, very comfortable, sheets nice, crisp, clean. Plenty of towels washcloths, toiletries, never needed to request anything. Housekeeping, turn down, mini bar all great service (thank you). We also had wireless service in our room, the signal was best on the balcony.

The resort layout is awesome, many resorts in the Mayan Riviera are not alongside the ocean like this. Expansive sea views from all the “hang out” spots, - the bars, outdoor restaurants, pools, hot-tub (which turned warmer each day). The beach is not for swimming, but the waves and the wildlife (pelicans/birds) are marvelous. We had Victor take us on the catamaran - the sea colors incredible. We tried to snorkel, but it was just too rough to get out far enough to submerge. We swam down the beach just before Desires resort and snorkeled from there, but did not see anything. We have snorkeled in the “national park” on previous trips to PM and we would have done this again, but the waves seemed a little too strong for me (I get seasick easily). It was quite windy during our week and as a result, one could easily find a beach chair. At the main pool chairs are packed in like sardines, but it is not too windy in that location, and this is where the action is (but wake early to reserve a chair). Our favorite pool to swim was in front of bldg 2…water warmer and no wind…a good place to go if you want quiet. Also noticed the staff was taking floats from guest’s chairs saying to please leave them in the pool….this is a great idea. If you want to have your own float all day, bring one! Excellent bar/drink service anywhere…even the remote pool in bldg 2.

Our activities started with long walks on the beach. Toward Puerto Morelos we walked to the pier at Excellence which took about 40 minutes each way. We also walked in the Cancun direction all the way to Zoetry…that took about 55 minutes each way (take water). This is a great way to investigate other resorts (at least their beaches and beach-front property). I viewed a map of the area (thanks PM Frank) so I knew what I was passing by. The resorts near Excellence/Now (Sapphire?) have much deeper/wider/flatter beach area like those near Playa del Carmen. In the other direction after SSS is Azul, condos, Desires another Azul, …the beaches are very narrow and sea grass for sure.

We did a few activities with the staff - Bocci, darts, the crazy pool game once. My favorite was the 4pm activity at the Veranda bar. Tequila tasting, margarita tasting (the cucumber/habanera…wow) missed the wine tasting. The kitchen tour was quite fun and informative…we were provided samples from each indoor restaurant. It was nice to see and acknowledge the people behind the scenes.

We mostly enjoyed the food at all meals, but I must say special thank you to Daniel at Bourdeaux. We ordered a primo bottle of wine, listened to the piano player, just a romantic setting. Also enjoyed the food variety w/sushi at Asian, but it’s not very romantic dining while the hibachi table is woot-wooting in the background (so be advised).

The musical entertainment was mostly good, surprised with the classic rock station type of music (I’ve had my fill of Journey over the years). I would suggest SSS to hire Latin or reggae bands to provide variety.

All the staff are excellent and applause to all. I must mention our favorite lobby bar server whom I called pequeña (she is very petite) and just so friendly and sweet. Remember to have the Spanish/Mexican coffees in the lobby. Enjoy your stay, we certainly did!

p.s. and thanks for having cerveza verde on St. Patty’s day…just like home!

Feel free to send a pm if you have specific questions.

10 Thank derekmom
Howell, Michigan
Reviewed March 23, 2011

EXCELLENT resort!!!!!!!!!! Fabulous rooms, pools, food and service - - Downside was a very nasty beach. It was very, very rocky, and had piles of sea weed everywhere. In some areas it was so bad and high, had to walk around it. The staff with baby Tonka trucks simply could not keep up with the amount coming in from the ocean.
Unfortunately we could not go in the water in front of the hotel. Luckily we found a spot about 3/4 mile away near the naked people beach :) (sorry no pics) I had no idea guys could be so creative with sunglasses *LOL*

Regardless of the beach, it did not hold us back from having a great time!!

5 Thank Cody74
louisiana
Reviewed March 23, 2011

This was my 3rd trip to SSS. I have been in Sept, May and now March. I brought my sister with me to celebrate my birthday. So lets get started;
Check in - We were given cool towels and champagne as soon as we arrived, went straight to check in desk and was told that our room would be ready at 2:00, we had arrived at around noon. So off we went to have lunch and a cocktail. We then went to see about our coupons, you have to go visit with someone to get the couons. This was a brief visit with no pressure. The coupons were explained and we were asked if we would like to go visit another Secrets resort to hear about a plan they offered. We declined and that was that. We did use our coupon for massages and we used part to pay for half of the wireless internet service. We then checked back and our room was ready, we were escorted to our room with our bags.
We were in bldg2 oceanview room and of course if was wonderful. My sister couldn't believe the size of the room.
Beach; we spent most of our time on the beach, the crew were always working hard to keep seaweed cleaned up. It was pretty windy while we were there. We did not have to get up early to get a chair on the beach. They have added some chairs since last year. I only saw 2 or 3 with towels on them that looked reserved. Drink service was very good, you have to have a frozen mimosa in the mornings, very tasty. We went for a long walk each day which was nice. The first morning was my birthday and I told my sister that it must be everyones birthday down the beach cause everyone was in their birthday suit,ha. I applaud those people for being so comfortable with being nude. In the other direction there are some really great places for pictures, just love those olders villas.
It was 80 during the day but that didn't warm up the pools enough for me, that was my only dissapointment. Others were in the pool but not as many as when I have been in warmer months.
Food; we enjoyed the restaurants, we were there just 4 nights so we hit, Italian, Mexican and French and the last night went to the Mexican Fiesta by the pool. Room service was great, I rolled over each morning and hit the button for coffee and pastries and then later we headed down for the real breakfast. Love the omelet station and my sister fell in love with the peanut butter crepes.
bars; we really spent much of our day on the beach but every afternnon we sat at the Baracuda bar overlooking the beach. Only took one day for "our" bartender to know to bring us Golden Margaritas and a dish of nuts.
I just love SSS - you can go there to relax or you can go there to party. We saw youngsters having a a great time playing volleyball, dancing, shooting tequila. We saw middle age people playing volleyball, dancing, shooting tequila. You can really make it whatever kind of vacation you need. It's my little vacation every year now, I know the routine and know I will be pampered. Can't think of anything negative to say nor did I hear anyone complain. One great thing is that they use top shelf liquor so no headache the next morning :)
Try it, You'll like it

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank grumpyswife
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed March 23, 2011

As the title states, this resort does not have a good beach in my opinion. It is very rocky in most places and has a lot of seaweed. I love to swim in the ocean and did not do it once at this resort - at best I dipped my feet in. Another guest did the same and was stung by a jellyfish.

Outside of the beach this resort is AMAZING! The rooms are very well appointed. The food and restaurant selection and quality are very high. The pools are nice. Everything is meticulously clean. The staff is great and extremely attentive.

If this resort was on a nice beach it would be heaven. Well one other complaint - the evening entertainment needs a BIG upgrade. Note to management - get rid of the Elvis guy. He must have been drunk during his performance and is AWFUL! The rest of the entertainment was average at best.

Overall - if you do not need a great beach to swim in - if you are ok with just laying out on the sand and swiping in the pool than this is a great choice for you. If than was for me too than I would give silversands a perfect review. Unfortunately the beach was a big dealbreaker for me and I will not be returning. I will try their sister property Secrets Meroma - Their beach is as nice as any postcard you have seen. It is AMAZING! That is my next resort when I return to Playa del Carmen.

2 Thank MarcinoG
Reviewed March 22, 2011

We just returned today after 5 fantastic days. We have stayed at Secrets Capri 8 times because we have always been so happy with our stay that we didn't want to change. We booked the Secrets Suprise and we were "stuck" with Secrets Silversands. We could have not been more wrong! This resort blew Secrets Capri out of the water and I though Capri was the best! The rooms are huge, the multiple bars are awesome and the food is fantastic. Top shelf everything! The beach is a little rocky however the ocean waves in this area are amazing! We will return!!!!

• Stayed March 2011
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,588 reviews

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!