I wrote a review last year entitled "Very Tranquillo" which gave this excellent small self catering hotel high marks. This year we stayed in Unit #2 in Abbey One which is smaller and less lavishly appointed than unit #4 (The owners quarters) which we reserved last year with another couple. But the unit was very comfortable, well equipped and we liked being on the second floor for a view of the surroundings. Rather than repeating last years review, I'll add our new discoveries. Manta, the beach bar, has happy hour from 2-4, music on the weekends and prepares their pina coladas with fresh pineapple and coconut juice. Playa del Pescador (I think) a beach front restaurant at the end of the street has fried whole red snapper that is fabulous. There is a fresh fish market just up from the ATM machine gets fresh catch every day in the afternoon. Casa del Pescador overlooking the square is just as good as ever. The Mega Market in Playa del Carmen has prices on groceries that are just as good as Wall-mart. We bought some jumbo pink shrimp and cooked it in some Old Bay (brought from home) and bay leaf that will spoil us for life for anything else. The sand in Puerto Morelos is like sugar. We went to Cancun one day, went to the beach and couldn't believe the difference. It was coarse and had lots of very small shells that were tough on bare feet.
Hats off again to Easyway car rental...their rate on a new Mexican Nissan with Auto and AC including every conceivable insurance in the world is about $40 a day unlimited mileage...they pick you up at the airport and take you back. Make sure you ask for return directions as their agency is hidden behind an OXXO and a Pemex station.
We went to Valladolid for two days at the end of our stay and loved it...highly recommended. An overnight at El Meson Del marques (right on the square) allows you to do Chitzen Itza before the bus people arrive from Cancun. See my review in TA.
If you are thinking about Abbey del Sol for next year reserve now if you want February or early March.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Attractive, safe & comfortable well maintained vacation rental suites and homes with many amenities and extras for that perfect relaxing vacation. Our central office is located at Abbey Del Sol 2 and our onsite english and spanish speaking staff are here to assist you and will help you with anything you need. From airport transfers to assisting with activities to restaurant suggestions. Excellent location within 1.5 blocks from the gorgeous quite beach and 3 to 8 blocks from the quaint town square depending on the property location. Our charming little town hosts over 60 amazing restaurants, to gorgeous white soft sand beaches & accommodations that steal your heart away. If your looking for a stress free vacation, look no further. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Abbey Del Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Abbey Del Sol Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Abbey Del Sol Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos