“a bit frightening...”

Hotel Hacienda Morelos
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We spent one night here before checking in at the Grand Luxxe. I’ve stayed in a lot of small hotels in Mexico, but I could not recommend this one. The room was worn out – the faucet in the bathroom sink was covered with rust. The safe was broken and both of the outside doors were smaller than their frames so I doubt that the locks did much. Probably the worst of the night was waking up to loud screaming that went on quite a while – there wasn’t much sleep after that.
Even though the ocean view was lovely, I’d stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank dejenn
There are newer reviews for Hotel Hacienda Morelos

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Puerto Morelos seems to have the entire infrastructure needed for a tourist destination, however seems rather neglected and abandoned. The food wasn’t very good and there was no shade from the sun on beach. My husband and I only stopped in for a day and a night as we headed north having an early flight out of Cancun the next morning. Cancun proper is not our style with all the resorts and such, so we wanted quiet. And quiet is what we got. If you are looking for isolation this may be for you. The hotel was quiet, clean and had great view of the ocean. My husband and I had a romantic evening on the beach and over all we had a good time.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank skyeink
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The hotel is right on the beach and I think all rooms overlook the ocean.
Sadly, everything else is not great. The safe in my room didn't work, neither did the Internet. The beds were spectacularly uncomfortable and the sheets smelled of mildew. The guy at reception, whilst being really sweet, didn't speak any English. I got woken up at 7:30am by the noise on the building site next door.
This place could be really awesome with a little bit of TLC but as it is at the moment I wouldn't come back. At that price, no one expects luxury but most other places I have stayed at on a similar budget were better than this one.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank Claudizzle1
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This winter will be our forth year styling in Puerto Morelos. We like staying here. Numerous reasons. Lesley and staff are friendly/efficient. She speaks English so not really any language barrier. Booking is easy. Rooms are very clean. Pool and area is clean. Love the quiet and not a ton of people. We always stay in room 106 right beside the dive shop. The towels are big and staff doesn't keep extras in the room but is there is you need one. TVs are flat screened. Our room (106) has a working safe and great air conditioner. WiFi in lobby and on deck
The place does need some upkeep but its fine if you don't care about fancy. Puerto has some great restaurants and ok shopping. We stay here before and after our trip to Playa so it's a few days either way, which is relaxing. Playa is a busy place.
I really like main floor rooms. The table and chairs outside are shaded and right next to pool which is never noisy. Great for our 12 year old. There is no shallow end for toddlers though. A few steps and you are on the beach. So even if you stay main floor you have a beautiful view. The restaurant next door is convenient , has friendly staff and great food. They even have a take out window adjacent to Hacienda.
What I would like to see at Hacienda- New Mattresses on the beds. A small fridge in each room.
Five Stars to Lesley and staff!!!

Room Tip: I always specify when I book which room I want. Rooms are large and all face the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LifeIsGood-Janice
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This lovely little hotel was a shining beacon after spending over 3 weeks at Uncle Hugo's. (review on that) I walked in on a Friday morning tired and hot and talked to Leslie at the front desk. I was checked in efficiently and quickly. The double queen room was very clean, NO BUGS (other review!) and I had everything I needed. When I was done on the beach for the day I would shower and hang at the pool and watch the fishermen come in. I'd sit on the deck and read as the sun set. There was wi-fi in the lobby and sometimes off the (closed) restaurant patio. Justina and Leslie made my final 5 nights in Puerto Morelos delightful and I would return in a heartbeat. Gracias amigas!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Coll5656
Reviewed April 28, 2013

First time to Puerto Morelos so we just wanted a reasonable place to stay, All we were looking for was a basic hotel that was in town, on the beach and clean. We felt like we got what we asked for. The location is so close to the town square and many restaurants. The room was larger than we expected and very clean. Other than that it was just a basic room. Two beds and flat screan TV. The balcony is only about 3 feet wide, but the view of the ocean and boats is amazing. The bar restaurant downstairs was not open and no elevators.

If you are expecting a four star place this is not it. But if you just want a clean place to put your head down and night it is okay.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank SKYnTonic
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We enjoyed our four nights at Hacienda Morelos so much that we are returning for another four nights after a short trip to Valladolid. We found our spacious, sparkling clean room attractive (we don't need frills) and very livable with a wonderful view of ocean and the always-fascinating fishing boats. We prefer the swimming in front of the hotel to the long beach on the north side of town, both for the wonderfully clear water and for the privacy--few people around and no vendors. For us, the closed restaurant was a plus for two reasons: (1) no noise) and (2) the outside shaded, breezy area makes a great hang-out space between swims. We liked the location, just a block off the main square, and the very pleasant staff/management. Finally, either by booking through a discount service or by staying for a few days and paying cash, you can pay about US$50 for a room with two double beds, on the second floor with balcony. That's a great price for a beach room in the Yucatan.

Room Tip: The bottom floor rooms have nice tables and chairs outside, with a good overhang for shade, but they...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple