“Top quality, top service.”
Review of Wetherby Whaler

Wetherby Whaler
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Guiseley
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Wakefield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top quality, top service.”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

Stopped by Wetherby Whaler restaurant Guiseley this Friday lunchtime.
I haven't been since I was a kid 35 years ago, when my parents took me as a special treat. We travelled especially from Leeds. It was always worth a special trip to see the wonderful decor and chandeliers. The silver service and food were unrivalled.
Nowadays, in the modern world, the refurbishment has been done tastefully, using quality fittings, plasterwork and wood panelling to reflect a bygone era with added air conditioning.
All of the staff were seen to greet customers with a smile and a professional manner throughout.
The Fish and Chips were totally fresh and tasted great, bringing back memories. It was a thoroughly good experience , have a day out to re live the old days.
There are many special food offers for families and mature people alike.

1 Thank David S

London, United Kingdom
“So tasty!”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We were treated to a meal out at the local fish and chip shop but where we were expecting to sit on a park bench with a portion of fish and chips in our laps, we were so wrong! The Wetherby Whaler is a fabulous fish and chip restaurant - the food is great! Only one tiny criticism is that we had to ask twice for someone in the take-away restaurant to come and unlock the door for the lift to the main restaurant upstairs for my elderly mother who can't manage stairs very well. Once they did that, it was fine - the staff upstairs looked after her and made sure she was OK getting back down again after our meal. Ten out of ten for attendance and for the food served!

• Visited April 2014
leeds
“lovely pianist”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

visited for the second time in 6 months and I was really pleased to find a pianist playing beautiful music, it added to the atmosphere and I told him so.
we had the pensioners £8.50 meal.
we had the homemade cauliflower and broccoli soup and it was delicious. very hot in temperature and a bit spicy.
next we had the haddock and chips. chips were good and the fish had a lovely smooth batter, but one half was a bit too crispy and hard and I had to smash the batter to get at the fish but the other half of the fish was covered in a nicer softer batter. the batter is very smooth. I wonder what their secret is?
for sweet I had the rice pudding which I asked for at the start so I could have it cold, which I prefer. now they told me it was homemade and they put nutmeg in. but you cant taste the nutmeg and all it does is make black specks in the rice pudding which I found a bit off-putting.
they would be better if they sprinkled nutmeg on the top of individual dishes of rice pudding.
I will go again especially if the pianist is playing.

Leeds
“Fancy fish and chips?”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Well drive past here and go somewhere else then. What a huge disappointment starting with the car park that needs resurfacing, a mucky, litter strewn path to the door and stood about waiting for anyone to even acknowledge us never mind show us to a table. We should have left then as I've never seen a more plastic, prepacked bit of fried fish in my life and whilst the chips were hot they certainly didn't look as if they'd seen hot fat. We sent them back as they were hard and under cooked and the second helping weren't much better. The waitress said if we wanted brown and crispy chips that next time we came we needed to ask for them well done!! Believe you me there wont be a next time.

1 Thank felicityLeeds
bradford
“A good replacement for Harry Ramsden's (RIP!)”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

This small chain took over the hollowed-out ghost of Harry Ramsden's a few years ago. Ramsden's was once a premier fish and chip place until it was sold out and re-sold a couple of times, Eventually, it was unrecognisable and available in a range of international venues including Dubai and ( I think) Las Vegas.

Licensed, this place has the usual fault of asking you what you want to drink before you've ordered your food. However, on the plus side, the quality has been steadily rising. On our last visit, this week, we noticed that the batter is crisper and lighter than ever, and the chips are exactly as you would wish. The restaurant scores for good, though inexperienced service, atmosphere and quirkiness.

Yes. it's on the Guiseley roundabout leading to 'Bradford, but it has Thirties mouldings, chandeliers, a big car park and a pianist on Sundays. (PS, can we have a pianist on Fridays and Saturdays, too?) Also, please only bring the bill when requested!

1 Thank BradfordBuzzard