“Be careful, a large portion is what is says”
Review of Wetherby Whaler

Wetherby Whaler
Ranked #2 of 30 Restaurants in Guiseley
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2013

My wife and I went her on 25 January 2013 for a lunchtime meal (due to snow expected in the late afternoon and it was snowing whilst we were there). We are both 'senior' citizens' but opted for the main one course menu (why does a 'senior' have to have a 3 course menu?). I opted for a large haddock (and it was) and my wife for salmon with a salad option. The haddock, chips and mushy peas took some battling through and my wife had to leave some of her salad, far too much. The disappointment was the number of really 'senior citizens' leaning on walking sticks/zimmers/wheelchairs at lunch, we are not in that condition (yet). We will go again, hopefully other than lunch time to see more of a younger clientle, the food is exceptionally good and plentifull. Thanks to Wetherby Whaler for taking this on.

3  Thank Himself2

Reviewed February 2, 2013

This place has been refurbished very well, compared to how it was let go a little as the former "Harry Ramsden's" HQ.
Still, it was a little sad that there's not much reference to the old "most famous fish and chip shop in the world", but at least it's remained open.
The food was very good and the service excellent, with our waitress Louise.
The chairs were a bit "mix n match" in design/layout?
Will definitely revisit and recommend anyone else to pay a visit.
PS..where has Harry's original "hut" gone ?

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Tastefully refurbished from the old Harry Ramsden's. The set menu is of excellent value. The fish served was of superb quality and delicious. We will return.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I took my elderly parents to the Wetherby Whaler and was greeted with a warm and friendly welcome from the waitress who promptly showed us to our table. The food was good and I was surprised by the portion size of the 'seniors' menu, it was a big as the normal fish and chip portion from the main menu. I was also pleased to see that the decor had not really changed from the old Harry Ramsdens - although it had been decorated and looked light and cheerful. It took me back to my childhood when we used to go there as a family for a special treat! We will be visiting the Wetherby Whaler again soon.

1  Thank Andrea W
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Visited the restaurant following all the publicity about the new Harry Ramsdens.
Plenty of parking.
Enter via the front door into a vast empty space. " perhaps they haven't finished the re-fit"
Wait at the sign to be seated.
Shown in but had to stand in the restaurant while the table was cleared and reset.( it was not busy but they seemed to want everyone to use the window tables).
Pleasant waitress quickly took our order, all having Fish and Chips so no problem? One of our party of four was brought her meal a full a full five mins after the others so not impressed.
The whole feel of the place is big and bare rather like the old works canteens. Large glass chandeliers seem very out of place above the tomato ketchup bottles.
The quality of the food was OK but overall there are better places to eat fish & chips within a short drive. Yeadon for example.

1  Thank Ken J