“Great night away with Deaf Club”

Holiday Inn Colchester
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eight Ash Green
London, United Kingdom
“Great night away with Deaf Club”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Had a lovely night away with Colchester Deaf Club recently - beautiful food and very good service - was lively being greeted with glass of wine as well. Was great to see some of the reception staff greeting us in sign language - well done.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Warm greeting on arrival by reception ladies. Manager even offered to carry our bags upstairs!
Offered free glass of wine on arrival as welL. Room was clean and warm sofa bed was made up already. We had an evening meal which was enjoyed by all. Coronation chicken well recommended,
even our 2 children finished everything! Price about average. Wife used swimming pool, which she found clean and warm.We booked a package with holiday inn including trip to Colcester Zoo for
2 adult and 2 kids. Extremely good deal at £135 including breakfast, room and zoo.
I would thoroughly recommend this Holiday Inn, the staff cannot do enough for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Preston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel there was a wedding party sitting in reception, I imagine waiting for their function room to be turned around, and I must admit my heart sank slightly – weddings tend to equal noise! However we were greeted very warmly by the receptionist, checked in no problem and even offered a chilled glass of wine, which we gratefully accepted. Our twin room was very roomy and overlooked greenery (and the car park) with no wedding noise to be heard, even with the window open. The tv had a good selection of channels, not too sure which ones as my friend was in charge of the remote. The shower had good pressure and everything was lovely and clean, so much so that the following morning I had a bath which I only ever do in very nice hotels!
We had dinner in the restaurant, and the food and wine was very nice (if slightly expensive, but then these are hotel prices) and the service was friendly.
We both slept well and knowing we didn’t have to check out until 12 was great and we knew there was no rush for breakfast. There was a great selection at breakfast, with friendly chefs ready to do ‘specials’ if requested. The restaurant was very busy at breakfast (probably due to the wedding the previous day) and they could have probably done with another member of staff as everyone looked a bit harassed but this didn’t really impact hugely on my breakfast experience.
Overall it was a nice relaxing break in a nice, clean, friendly hotel which I would happily recommend to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

On arrival, the check-in from prompt, friendly, professional, efficient and I was greeted as a Priority club member. The receptionist offered me a free glass of wine and then explained all facilities of the hotel and asked if I had any room requirements. 10/10

My room was standard Holiday Inn. Clean, tidy, good standard and quiet.

Evening meal -I did not used the restaurant but had a bar meal instead, this was ok but nothing special!
Breakfast - I was welcomed in a professional & friendly manor and the food was Buffet style, this is good for me. It was of good quality and plenty of choice.

Check-out
Prompt , friendly, professional and efficient.

No problems, I would not hesitate to book here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff are welcoming, efficient and friendly. As we were going to a wedding the next day we asked for directions to the venue and this was given together with a map. Very thorough and very efficient. There is a huge reception area really nicely furnished and comfortable.

The room we were directed to seemed small but that could have been because we looked straight at a brick wall. As it was a Priority Club booking it was rather disappointing so we asked if there was another room available and were given an excellent room with a good view.

We used the leisure club facilities whilst we were there as they are usually so very good. This facility however did not quite match our previous experiences. There were no private changing rooms and I was told I could use the toilet if I wanted privacy. There was a Sauna in each changing room rather than in the main pool area which was a little disappointing and it was very cramped. In the pool area there were excellent showers and steam room. The pool was all one depth and would be very good for families with children. I was surprised that quite young children were allowed to use the Jacuzzi though.

We used the bar in the evening and the staff were excellent. I was unsure what to have to drink so was offered a small sample glass of the Cider I was wondering about. I hadn't come across this before and I thought it an excellent idea. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

The dining experience at dinner could have been better. There is an excellent restaurant but it is rather chilly, or I found it so. Huge vents in the ceiling blow down what is supposed to be warm air but that rather depends where you are sitting. I ordered Coronation Chicken with Sweet Potato Chips. The Sweet Potato chips were amazing, sadly the Coronation Chicken was a strange combination of chicken breast with stuffing, wrapped in bacon with a 'Coronation sauce' poured over it. Neither myself our my husband could eat it. My husband had Ham, Egg and Chips and they were very good indeed.

Breakfast on both days we stayed was a better experience except for the blowers in the ceiling. The breakfast was a buffet and you could have the Full English or any amount of different things from the buffet. Service was very good though unfortunately on the first morning my husband had to wait for his fried eggs to go with his breakfast and it resulted in his previously served food being rather cool. They were taken away and replaced with a hot fresh plate of food. Excellent service in that respect.

The bar and restaurant area is very unusual. There is a huge Totem Pole in the restaurant/bar area and the whole place is decked out in wood. A little 'wild west' perhaps but something rather different and could be called a 'change from the norm'.

Room Tip: The rooms are comfortable and can have an excellent outlook. There could be stairs involved so it wo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paula M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Paula M,

We value you as our Priority Club Rewards Member and while we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel arriving on the Easter Sunday. The reception staff were excellent and so helpful. You are met with a welcome smile and a glass of wine which is a lovely touch. The children were given activity packs and a sheet to go on an Easter egg tour which they loved. The room was ready straight away and was on inspection really clean and well presented. The room was of a good size with plenty of storage, in fact we paid the same price for two nights here as a Travel Lodge and there was no comparison, the Holiday Inn was of a much better class. There was plenty of hot water, my only criticism would be that there was not much shower gel or shampoo left for a family of four. The swimming pool on the hotel complex was excellent with a lovely area for the children to swim in and a hot tub for us parents. The cooked buffet breakfast was excellent with everything you could think of and really nicely presented. I really rate Holiday Inns and if you can get them at a good price they are brilliant value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although our stay was for only one night and we did not use all the facilities available. The general ambience was good, with very friendly staff. The rooms were clean and tidy with good quality TV and drink making equipment for tea/coffee. We were able to get into our rooms early which was very useful as we were attending a wedding localy and needed to freshen up. The price of the rooms reperesented good value. I would definately use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe
Prested Hall Hotel
Prested Hall Hotel
#1 of 3 in Feering

Been to Holiday Inn Colchester? Share your experiences!