“Good value, good location”

Holiday Inn Colchester
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eight Ash Green
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Stayed for one night, very easy to find. Very close to the zoo. Excellent and friendly reception, nice touch to offer a glass of wine on arrival! Room good, quiet and a good sleep. No issue with trains for us. Went to use the swimming pool and we had the whole place to ourselves on a Saturday night, which was very nice. Bar OK, but wish they didnt show sports on all the screens, not keen on the "sportsbar" type bar...
Breakfast overall very good, buffet plus eggs and other items to order from a friendly chef. But do not order the waffles! A nasty, microwaved, inedible soggy mess, with a cheap bottle of "chocolate flavoured sauce" appeared on the table. Avoid! Other than that a very good breakfast.
Overall a very good-value Holiday inn.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for your review. Great feed back on the waffles- we will fix! Happy New Year and I hope we will see you again very soon.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I stayed in the Hotel for just one night on business. I have stayed twice before and always had great stays and this stay was no different. I arrived late and tired and was welcomed by an extremely helpful and friendly receptionist. Nothing was too much trouble for her and I was in my room with in minutes as she was so efficient. I ordered room service and the food was tasty, hot and was delivered by another friendly and helpful member of staff. In he morning check out was simple and quick and again very efficient. I cannot fault the hotel. Every member of staff I met including staff I came across walking down the corridors was friendly and welcoming. My room was spacious and offered all i needed.I would definitely stay again and would highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper make sure you have a room away from the a12 as you can hear the road
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Thanks for your review. It's great to see my team performing at their best. As always I will share your comments with the team at our next meeting together. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Merry Christmas.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Probably the best Holiday Inn I've stayed at either business or leisure.
From the moment I entered the hotel to checking out nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and everyone had a smile.
Nice touch offering a glass of wine while checking in.
Evening meal and breakfast were both very good.
Didn't use the pool.
Room was a bit dated but everything worked and there were a couple of comfy chairs to relax in.
Would recommend without hesitation.

Room Tip: The railway runs down one side of the hotel so ask for a room on the opposite side
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Marc B
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for a great review. I am very proud of my team and the service they deliver to our guests and it does not look like they have let me down on this occasion. Merry Christmas to you and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have stayed in many Holiday Inns and they are all much the same.
Our stay here was pleasant and uneventful, the room was clean and tidy, service was prompt.
Food in the Restaurant was excellent, the Bar was kept busy!
Great location for touring Essex.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave feed back on your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have stayed at many Holiday Inns throughout the UK and I must say that this particular one is outstanding. The staff are probably the most courteous, smart in appearance and very accommodating.
Immediately on arrival at each visit I have been acknowledged as a Priority Club member and offered an upgrade. The rooms are well presented; the bar/restaurant area is probably one of the nicest within the group in my opinion and even the outside grounds are well cared for.

Although I generally don’t eat an evening meal in hotels preferring to pop out to a local restaurant I have to say the breakfast each time here is definitely the best !

Well done Holiday Inn Colchester !

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

I am really glad you had a nice stay with us and my team lived up to my expectations. We really do pride ourselves on our service levels and try to demonstrate that we know how to go that extra mile for our guests. I do hope you will come back to visit us soon.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

In my experience, Holiday Inn hotels pride themselves on the quality of your sleep: beds are uniformly firm and a range of pillows is available that caters for all tastes. Rooms tend to be of a similar standard in all their hotels, which is precisely why the seasoned traveller may be tempted to use them as a default booking.

My issue with their hotel at Eight Ash Green, Colchester is its location. Perfectly placed within 30 drive of the A12, in a rural location handy for Colchester, it is sadly even nearer to the busy railway line. Throughout the night my sleep was constantly interrupted by freight trains of varying length trundling or speeding past.

When I mentioned this the following morning the management offered to move us for our second night and gave us a bottle of wine by way of compensation. This typified the approach of the staff here which we could not fault, they were some of the nicest we had met in hotels.

In actual fact because of travel arrangements, we knew that there were going to be engineering works on the line that night and the next day and so we gambled, stayed put and had an excellent sleep on the second night.

This hotel is simply too handy to avoid whether on business or leisure visit (probably the handiest placed hotel for Colchester Zoo). As a simple rule, when booking say that you don't want a room in the same wing as the one in which the Leisure Club is located. This wing points towards the railway line with rooms 228 and 229 at the end of the corridor nearest the line. My party had these and the two next to them.

Room Tip: Other than the tip to avoid noise, if you're on a limited budget, book accommodation only and ni...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

I am sorry you experienced noise from the train line during your stay. Only a few rooms are effected by the train line and as you rightly state, we are always happy to locate guests away from this area. The traffic volumes on the train line during the night are often very low and does not usually cause a problem for our guests however there are occasions when traffic does increase which sounds like the case during your stay. Thank you for your kind compliments regarding my team, I will be sure to thank them for their service behaviors. I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our Daughters Wedding: This is one outstanding venue. We had choices and this was the right one. Staff were terrific, nothing too much trouble. Organisation faultless. Venue first class, rooms all good. We had circa 40 rooms booked and it was an event to remember. I have already written to Holiday Inn Org, and I shall write to the venue too. They helped make the day.
Boo Hoo to the moaners about the wedding party, If you'd have let us know you were there, we would have cancelled.... NOT! Look at nearly all of the reviews all good!

Room Tip: Even rooms close to rail line are not an issue. Just remember there is no lift if you have restricte...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. It was a real pleasure looking after you and your party on your big day, I am so pleased you had a great time and my team delivered their usual exceptional service levels. It will be great to see you again next year and help you celebrate your first anniversary?

Also consider these accommodations in or near Eight Ash Green
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe
Blue Ivy Hotel
Blue Ivy Hotel
#6 of 23 in Colchester

Been to Holiday Inn Colchester? Share your experiences!