Holiday Inn Colchester
Hotels.com
PremierInn.com
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsswimming poolcolchester zoorailway linerestaurant stafflots of parkingleisure facilitiesexecutive roomreception stafflovely hotelthe ground floorno liftbuffet stylechanging roomssteam roomone night stayduty managerfamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our Daughters Wedding: This is one outstanding venue. We had choices and this was the right one. Staff were terrific, nothing too much trouble. Organisation faultless. Venue first class, rooms all good. We had circa 40 rooms booked and it was an event to remember. I have already written to Holiday Inn Org, and I shall write to the venue too. They helped make the day.
Boo Hoo to the moaners about the wedding party, If you'd have let us know you were there, we would have cancelled.... NOT! Look at nearly all of the reviews all good!

Room Tip: Even rooms close to rail line are not an issue. Just remember there is no lift if you have restricted mobility.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Thank you for your kind comments. It was a real pleasure looking after you and your party on your big day, I am so pleased you had a great time and my team delivered their usual exceptional service levels. It will be great to see you again next year and help you celebrate your first anniversary?

Reviewed November 11, 2012

We have just stayed 2 nights at Holiday Inn Colchester on a bed and breakfast basis. We were greeted warmly at reception on arrival and offered a free glass of wine each. The male receptionist then helped us with our luggage which was very considerate as we were trying to juggle our glasses of wine with our luggage.

Our room was spacious and well equipt; we had booked well ahead and got an excellant deal- 2nights bed and breakfast for £116 (definately worth the money). we never found out where the faint buzzing noise in the room was coming from, we did eventually get used to it and managed to zone it out. If you're a very light sleeper earplugs might be an idea!

Unfortunately we didn't get time to check out the leisure facilities as we were too busy doing other things.

Breakfast was very good, everything you would expect in a four star hotel. The staff in the restaurant were all very friendly and helpful.

We will definately stay here again next time we visit Colchester if we can manage to get as good a deal as we did this time.

Room Tip: Book well ahead to get a good deal
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. I will certainly look into the faint buzzing noise as it it not something I have been aware of in the past. Hopefully the next time you stay with us you will be able to take advantage of the complimentary health club with Gym, Saunas, Steam room, Beauty treatments, Hair dressing, Hot tub and swimming pool. Great to see you also enjoyed breakfast and I will definitely pass on your positive feed back to the Restaurant Manager and Head Chef.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed over for one night visiting family, so I didn't have breakfast in the morning and was only in the room a few hours. Reception staff were very friendly both at check in and check out. The hotel has some beautiful features, but was unable to see most of them as there were weddings being hosted there.

Room was set up as requested, and the beds were comfortable and clean. Dirty glasses in the bathroom though, and a stain / hairs in the bath.

The TV didn't work, although I didn't complain as I was only there to sleep.

Minimum noise from the nearby wedding reception, which was a relief! The only other problem we had were drunken guests wandering the hallways, one of which banged on the door next to us for about 15 minutes until we went out and told him to go away.

All in all, would happily recommend as the staff were friendly and the room was as good as it gets for this sort of price range.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your constructive comments. I am now delighted to announce we have a new Head Housekeeper who will be championing the necessary improvements you suggest in your comments. I hope that you will return to us soon so you can see the great improvements she is already making.

Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

Very pleasant conference staff and very helpful with set up etc. I was offered a glass of wine on check in which was very welcoming. The only negative was a cold bedroom as the radiator in my room was centrally operated and was switched off on a cold night.

• Stayed: November 2012

Please accept my apology for the cold room. It can often be difficult to time the 'turning on' of the central heating system at this time of year when the temperature fluctuates, day by day so much. Clearly on this occasion we got it wrong. My maintenance Manager has suggested that we try to work with the online weather forecast, so hopefully we will be much better at this in the future. I am really pleased you still managed to have an enjoyable stay and I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed for two nights for leisure with my wife and young children. I booked and received adjoining rooms for my children. The hotel is well placed, close to the A12 and about 10 minutes from Colchester town centre. The hotel is well equipped, good restaurant, gym, pool etc. The rooms were ok and had all that we required for our stay. The staff were superb and very helpful. They had functions on over the weekend, including a wedding. I was a little surprised to see the bride, groom and guests all gathered in the reception/foyer area as their room was being prepared/turned around. The breakfast was excellent and nice to see a hard working chef preparing eggs to order. The breakfast was so good, we all skipped lunch ;-). Only negative points were that my status wasn't really recognised and I received very little, in the way of 'perks' which was very disappointing. I discussed this with the manager, who is trying to remedy this for all future guests. As ever, I continue to bemoan the lack of free wifi for hotel guests. I mean, I can get free wifi in McDonalds! Come on ihg, sort it out!
Overall, I would recommend this hotel for its location and super staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. Myself and my team are passionate about delivering great service, so despite the shortcomings encountered, I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. As always we do offer complimentary internet to guests in the lounge, bar and restaurant areas and I know discussions are already happening to look at free internet in all our hotels at some point in the future.