“Another visit, same problem”

Holiday Inn Colchester
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eight Ash Green
UK
“Another visit, same problem”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

It is my sixth or even seventh stay at this hotel and things are really getting better except one thing: housekeeping. Or to be precise-they still have not learned how to clean the glasses that are for guest use in the room. There is just one world-filthy. Besides that I have no other complaints about the hotel. Excellent staff, comfortable but a little worn out rooms, excellent food. The entertainment system that was not working last time I have stayed there is now working perfectly. So, yes it is a bit far away from Colchester but if you are prepared for this it is really a very good hotel. If it was not for these filthy glasses...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of my property. As General Manager of the hotel I am very concerned with your comments regarding the cleanliness standards of bedroom glasses. After speaking with the housekeeping team this morning I am confident that you will not encounter this problem again on a future stay. Please accept my apologies for this oversight on behalf of the team. Thank you for your continued loyalty to my hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Suffolk
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding and really couldn't fault a singe thing during both the wedding and my stay in the hotel. What made the stay was how amazing ALL the staff were. Every single person was amazing especially Robert behind the bar. The hotel was very clean and our hotel room immaculate. The room was a nice size and had everything needed for an overnight stay. The breakfast that was served was delicious and had something for everyone.

Room Tip: This hotel does not have a lift so if you have a wheelchair or pushchair make sure you request a gro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
The whole team are delighted that you had a great stay with us. At Holiday Inn Colchester we try to offer our guests excellent service to make your stay as memorable as possible. I know you have many choices when it comes to booking a stay away in a hotel and hopefully, by my team trying that bit harder, you will choose Holiday Inn Colchester next time. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Bungay, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2012

As part of wedding party we stayed two nights, benefitting from a larger Double Room. Breakfast was fantastic (4 or 5 courses including fresh fruit, yogurt, cold meats & full English) as was the evening meal of Steak, served uniquely on a small chopping board with small handful of salad. Notably missing from steak meal were chips & onion rings.
Staff were impressivley polite & helpful, even helping the jump starting our car.

Will certainly look to stay here again if making a return visit Colchester.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I am pleased you had a good stay with us.

As we design new, exciting menus for the winter season, I will certainly take on board your feed back with regards to adding the chips and onion rings to the Steak dishes rather than serving these items separately.

Thank you for taking the time to add a review and we all look forward to seeing you soon...
Alsace, France
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed here for two nights because a family party was being arranged at the hotel. From the minute we arrived we experienced the highest levels of satisfaction, both in terms of the hotel's facilities and infrastructure and its staff. Our check in was efficient and friendly, our room was clean and very comfortable ... no need to ask for extra towels here! We noticed several wedding parties and asked for a quiet room. Indre, the chief receptionist, checked the room allocated to us and changed it for one that was quieter. We had two wonderfully peaceful nights sleep thanks to her! All the receptionists and bar/waiting staff we met were friendly, knew their jobs and made us feel very welcome and the catered lunch was tasty, well presented and generous in quantity. I just wish I'd noted down the names of all the staff who particularly stuck in my mind ... Indre, Tina and all the others on the front desk, Donna and Leigh for the lunch and Shawn (?sp) the barman, plus Lynn who was doing rooms ... our room was not on her list but she still helped with extra towels and shampoo and doing the room before other day guests arrived who needed to leave their affairs safely in our room during the party.

We had a bar dinner ... very reasonably priced, hot and tasty. The only negative comment I would make is that I was not aware that a service charge would be added to my meal, and only appeared on my tab on check out. As we had not left a tip, I was prepared to pay this, but would have had it removed if I had left a tip. It is discretionary, but appears unless you tell the staff that you do not wish to pay it!!

I strongly recommend this hotel if you want to stay in comfort and security, with kind and genuine staff who have time to talk to you and make sure your requirements are met at the first time of asking. I would unhesitatingly stay here again, and invite TA readers to check the website ahead of travel to book rooms as the saver rates payable in advance are worth taking advantage of if you have enough time to book before arrival.

WELL DONE HOLIDAY INN COLCHESTER. An excellent stay in every way.

Room Tip: No lift so ask for ground floor if you have mobility problems.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Wow, thank you so much for your compliments. We do pride ourselves on service standards and I am really pleased that the whole team delivered such memorable service to you during your recent stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We've been there with family, buying a package contains tickets to the Colchester Zoo. The staff were great, except the waitress at the dinner who noticed when we signed the bill which already contained a 10% service fee, that the service fee is going to the common bucket, trying to give the impulse that the tip should be over the billed amount. Paying around £10 tip for a £40 dinner (kids ate free) is a bit beyond my expectations, especially when my ribeye steak asked for medium arrived as done to dry death.
The bed or the mattress was a terrible thing, both of us woke up with serious back pain. Personally I felt as a balancing artist lying on the edge of the bed as the middle section was rather a deep hole.
Otherwise it was an average and usual hotel chain experience, room was ok, clean and tidy, bathroom nice and clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your constructive comments. Service charge is a discretionary charge that can be removed from your bill at any time during your stay. Taking your comments on board, we will ensure that our reception team make this clear for future guests on check in.
All of our beds are specially designed by a leading manufacturer to meet the highest sleep quality standards. Any defective beds are always removed and replaced. Although it is extremely rare for a guest to have a poor nights sleep in my hotel we will check all beds following your feed back.
It is great to see the personalities of our team enhanced your stay with us and I do hope we do get a chance to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
UK
Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

We've stayed here twice for family events and had amazing service each time. We suspected the influence of the American owner of the chain as we've only had that sort of service in the USA. The staff are incredibly friendly (look out for Douglas!). They offered to un-pack our car and put-up our travel cot when we travelled with our toddler daughter. We got great deals online at the Holiday Inn site and all rates include use of the gym and pool. The bar/restaurant served good food and the buffet breakfast was varied and plentiful (children eat for free). The rooms are a good size with comfy beds and the usual amenities. The decor could use a little updating but for the price it's fine. I couldn't recommend it more.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Skittykitty
HolidayInnColchester, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. All of our team believe that the people make the difference and our focus is on providing everybody with a memorable stay. I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed you stay with us and that you found the service to be ‘amazing’. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2012

So welcoming and a treat, I'm in Holiday Inns three times a week and this is the best so far. Welcoming glass of wine on check in or coffee, and nothing is too much trouble. Restaurant I cannot fault.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kim L
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received everything you needed. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eight Ash Green
Wivenhoe House
Wivenhoe House
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe
Travelodge Colchester Feering

Been to Holiday Inn Colchester? Share your experiences!