“Very good trekking”

and up
Full Day Tour to Samaria Gorge
Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Sfakia
More attraction details
Owner description: Believed to be one of the most scenic national parks in Europe, this gorge stretches more than 10 miles to the south coastal region and offers many hiking trails.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

A very nice place with beautiful views, perfect for athlectic people. I recommend to get there very early in order to avoid the crowd. It is important to bring some food and drinks, because you can't buy them in the park. At the end of the 18 km walk, you can go directly to the sea and refresh yourself.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,371)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
"down hill"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed July 10, 2014

My friends and I booked a tour to do this and we very much enjoyed it. It was one of the best things we did in Crete! The day started early, as the bus picked us up at 5:30 a.m. It was mid-May when we were there, and it was quite chilly when we got to the entrance of the gorge. We definitely didn't dress for that kind of cold. Fortunately as the day went on we warmed up. I should mention that the mountains are gorgeous! It kind of felt like I was home in Idaho. Pine trees, river rocks...quite a change from the stunning beaches on Crete, but equally as picturesque.

The beginning of the hike is all downhill. It's not technical, but the length of downhill terrain makes it challenging. We are all fairly fit so it wasn't too much of an issue, but even our knees were starting to feel the burn. After the downhill portion we found ourselves mostly on smooth, yet unstable river rock as much of the hike is on dried up riverbed. This means an unstable footing, which can cause the ankles to tire after a while. There were also a lot of bees during a portion of the hike. Since I had been stung by a bee the day before I was reluctant to walk through them, but there was no other way. If you've got a bee allergy I'd recommend taking an Epi-pen with you on this hike. (Actually, take one with you everywhere on Crete.) Once we got to the bottom the "Iron Gates" were amazing to see and the town of Agia Roumelli was quaint and quiet and we enjoyed a nice lunch. The beach was also really pretty with black pebble peaches and crystal blue water. It was a nice way to end the day after an exhausting hike. Afterward we took the boat to the bus, which returned us to where it all began. It was a long but exhilarating day.

Here are some suggestions:
1. Wear sturdy shoes, with ankle support if possible.
2. Take your own water, and lots of it.
3. Take snacks - the hike takes 4-6 hours (for us it was 5 and we hurried) and there is nowhere to purchase food once you're through the entrance.
4. I wouldn't take a child under 12. It's a long hike and the terrain is tiring. I saw a couple with a 4 year old, and near the middle of the day they were carrying her.

4  Thank LAlvarez1980
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Did the Gorge 1st week in June with my husband who was very keen even though it meant a 5.45 am pickup from our hotel.
We expected it to be steep for the 1st 3 km but we were both taken aback by the fact that we had to watch where we put every foot which is very mentally demanding.
We took our time & the scenery was amazing with lots of viewing places & picnic areas but the loos are no more than a whole in the ground.
It was wonderful to get to the end & have a well deserved drink in a taverna & to be able to go to a proper toilet before having a paddle in the sea.
Glad we did it but our toes are still bruised although we wore sturdy trainers!
Although we are both in our 50s we consider ourselves quite fit & we regularly enjoy long walks. Walking the gorge did not leave us breathless at all but the pressure that is put on your knees & toes should not be underestimated along with the psychological pressures from worrying about stumbling or falling .

1  Thank Jan716
Reviewed July 9, 2014

First of all, it was a great hike down. We had some engine problem with our rental car on the way there, lost a lot of time, so we entered the gorge only at 12 o'clock. We knew we had to make a fast pace to arrive at the beach on time to catch the last boat at 5.30 pm. But we were fast. Within 4 hours we were at the check-out.
I wouldn't recommend doing the hike in summer. In May there were already a lot of tourists. And in summer it will be very hot.
At the end of the gorge, it's very nice to be able to spend some time at the beach and recover from the hike.
We took the boat to Sougia. And from there the local bus. This bus is going back to Chania, but a smaller bus is bringing you back to the parking at the beginning of the gorge. So yes, it is very possible to do this hike with own transportation to the gorge, and taking the bus back!
If you are to late for the boat, don't worry. You pay around 20 euros for a room in Aiya Roumelli.

2  Thank GeertjeDerksen
See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2014

This is an honest review from a 40 something female who walks miles very regularly and not just on the flat.
I was staying near Hersonissos so for a start, this was always going to be an extremely long day. Was picked up at 5.30 am, started the Gorge walk at 10:30 and returned to my resort at 11pm.
I was lucky enough to meet up with a lovely couple from Newcastle at the start of the walk and was with them throughout. I would not have wanted to be by myself doing this.
The start of the walk is a bit of a shock. Not because it is downhill, we knew it would be, but the fact that from the very outset, you are walking on slidey rocks and big pebbles. There is not always an intact handrail to rely on so you are constantly watching your feet for fear of tripping up or twisting your ankle.
Every now and again, we would stop to take photos of the gorge which is, by the way, absolutely breathtaking. The sheer scale of it is amazing and full of natural beauty.
Fact is, I ended up being like a female Karl Pilkington. Constantly muttering and tripping up and moaning about how much everything hurt!
It took a full 6 hours and we didn't dawdle. We were strongly encouraged to hurry up by our German guide who is used to the stones and couldn't understand why we were carefully picking our way amongst them.
By the end, my companion Janet and I were barely able to walk, which in retrospect is quite funny but at the time it was very hard work. Emerging into the little street with tavernas and shops before the ferry was lovely as we sat and had chips and beer which was divine!
I must stress that I would not have considered myself not fit enough to do this walk and I managed it but it was not as enjoyable as I would have liked. If you are under 20 years old or a marathon runner, you'll be golden!

1  Thank pestofan