“Two adults and 3 kids all delighted”
Review of Augill Castle

and 1 more site!
Augill Castle
GreenLeadersSilver level
edinburgh
“Two adults and 3 kids all delighted”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Very relaxed very tasteful very sociable very comfortable.... in fact every thing that you would expect after reading the other reviews on here... simple and understated luxury for adults and kids alike.
Stayed in the Little Castle which had the kids room upstairs .... i think they appreciated being away from us!

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank bonvil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Felt compelled to sign up to TripAdvisor just to write a review for Augill Castle, which my boyfriend and I stayed in for one night last weekend.
My boyfriend is Australian, and since living in the UK has really become quite obsessed about finding castles wherever we visit, so when I found out he had to head back to Australia for an indefinite length of time I knew I had to try and find us a real castle to stay in, as a lasting memory for him to take back. Being a bit of a research-freak I did a LOT of googling to find a place which I thought would not only have the wow factor, but would also feel unpretentious and Augill seemed to tick all of those boxes so I began contacting Augill and received many excellent emails in response from Laura, who made my decision to go ahead so much easier.

When we approached the castle from the driveway, despite pretty awful cloudy weather it still looked incredibly impressive, however the real treasures in my opinion are hidden inside, and from the second you enter and go into the entrance hall you feel like you've stepped into a movie set! We were greeted by Janis (I think that was the ladies name) and she was very helpful, taking us on a guided tour around the ground floor and then showing us up to our room - Pendragon. The music room was probably my favourite of the communal areas, but all rooms were decorated with such an inspired eye, we found it hard to separate them (let alone choose which room to sit down in)...
Pendragon definitely did not disappoint either, complete with a working fireplace, turret, four poster bed, roll top bath and beautiful stained glass windows. Also provided were homemade cookies and a little bottle of something we think was alcoholic (we couldn't quite work out what it was, but it tasted lovely!) which was an excellent touch! I was concerned about the size of Pendragons bathroom, but I was very pleasantly surprised, it was really stunning, no photos of anything in the castle do it enough justice to be honest, so do not be concerned about facing any disappointment with bedrooms!

The honesty bar was great, and because we were away on a special trip we decided pricing wasn't our greatest concern, but we were very happy when our bill came on check out and it was far more resonable than we expected!...The breakfast was out of this world, best black pudding ever, and you know the bacon is good if it comes from one of their own pigs (Hermione I think we were told!)...

We actually had the castle all to ourselves which definitely had it perks, however it was surprisingly eeery at night, my boyfriend decided to take it upon himself to jump out at every possible opportunity scaring me witless, but it added to the authenticity I suppose! Would love to be back one day, and will definitely be spreading the word about this gem to all I know looking for a stay to remember

Thanks once again to all who we came into contact with whilst staying there,
Kelly and Chris

Room Tip: Pendragon was the epitome of a castle bedroom and the bed gave me the best nights sleep ever. Bathro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Kelly S
Harrogate
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

The only negative I can come up with about Augill Castle is that it will render any other hotel stay you'll ever have as pretty much pointless, disappointing and sterile. I had booked as a special weekend away for my partner and 4 kids for my 40th and kept it a surprise from all of them. From the moment that the view of the castle took their breath away as we turned into the drive, our time at the castle was magical. It's not right to describe it as like staying in someone's home as it's a hotel, but its not like any hotel you've ever stayed in before because it feels like you're staying in an extension of the home you wish you had. The balance is just right and hard to describe. We fell even luckier as there was a Burns Supper that night, complete with haggis and piper. Kids are encouraged to explore, never silenced and, amazingly for the UK, actively welcomed. They were fed at 6, then given popcorn to take to the castle's cinema whilst we got ready and had dinner. Dinner was taken with a mix of residents, locals and owners / family round a huge table. Breakfast is served from around 8.30 until the last guest leaves. All staff are friendly, the owners make everyone feel like they've been personally invited. The rooms are stunning, bedding, toiletries, towels etc of the highest quality. Yes, it isn't the cheapest place you'll ever stay but you definitely get what you pay for. The whole atmosphere is relaxing, we never locked our room, left the kids playing in the games room complete with toys, dressing up boxes and books. We and they made friends, congregated around the well stocked honesty bar and talked into the early hours in the stunning music room. I can't recommend Augill Castle highly enough.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank main_sider
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Nick and I just spent two amazing days at Augill where we tied the knot in the company of our friends and family . What can we say ..... Perfection ! We arrived the day before our celebrations with a handful of our party and we all settled in as if we were at home . Roaring fires , comfy chairs , great food and fantastic surroundings. Our three children were in total heaven with such fabulous amenities , drawing room full of toys and the cinema room being a massive hit . We could all relax knowing everyone in our party were happy . This was just the perfect start to our wedding celebrations. The following morning we sat down to a beautiful breckfast .Wendy and Simon and all their wonderful staff organised everything while us girls got underway with the long ruitul of " getting ready" and the boys did some clay pidgeon shooting on the grounds . Our ceremonie and wedding breckfast went so smoothly and not at any moment did I feel the temptation to become bridezilla as every detail was taken care of at every moment .Augill castle is an experience like no other and everyone of our friends and family left the following morning overwhelmed at the wonderful rooms , food and service and detail which is rarely experienced .Truly magical....we can't thank you all enough .....

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank Parafay
cumbriancastle, Owner at Augill Castle, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear Nick & Fay

Brilliant wedding... sometimes everyone feels a bit jaded after Christmas and New Year but you and your guests were great fun to look after and we felt like it was a lovely extension to the festive season. There was definitely no Bridezilla in the room!
We hope you'll come back and visit us soon (we've already had some of your friends staying over Easter).

Best wishes

Simon, Wendy and team Augill
cambridge
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We have just returned from a fantastic Christmas spent at the lovely Augill Castle, we have been away to a number of 5 Star establishments for Christmas over the years only to be disappointed not by food, service or rooms but from the lack of fun,chatter, laughter and relaxation that Christmas should bring. I'm happy to say Augill had all of the above and more, we have been searching for a place like this for many years and having found it will definitely be returning.
The Castle itself was beautifully decorated for Christmas with lovely touches such as a Christmas stocking for all guests with lovely homemade and local goodies inside,we stayed in Haygrath which I can recommend is a lovely room with a beautiful view.
I must admit that when we first arrived and meet the triplets and the other children I was a little concerned but I can say now without them it would not have been the same, Boxing night was a special evening the magician was great and the childrens faces were a picture.

The set up at Augill is very relaxed and encourages people to mix, everyone got along and we met some lovely people. If you don't like integrating with others this isn't the place for you but if enjoy meeting and sharing with like minded people in a lovely place in a relaxed amtosphere then don't hesitate this is the place for you.

Wendy,Simon and their lovely children make you feel that you are staying with old friends which I hope they now are, a big thank you to you and all your staff for making our Christmas so special hope to see you again soon.

Room Tip: Haygarth was lovely a great mix of modern and old, large bathroom and great view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traveller1950_8
cumbriancastle, Owner at Augill Castle, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Katrina
The fun,chatter, laughter and relaxation that Christmas should bring.
What else matters?
We are particularly taken by the photo of you sitting on the sofa in the Music Room on Boxing night surrounded by children. Can't decide who's having most fun!
Loved having you as part of our Christmas celebrations and hope you'll come back an visit us again.

Best wishes

Simon, Wendy, Oliver, Emily and all the staff at Augill
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Just back from a wonderful New Year's Eve break at Augill Castle. Tucked away in gorgeous Cumbrian countryside this is a quirky fabulous little hotel guesthouse. The bedrooms are sumptuous in style and comfort. The ground floor rooms carry on the Victorian theme. A well stocked honesty bar and a kitchen where a tap on the door and you ask the cook to make a snack. Staff are always floating about and the whole ambiance is relaxed.
Not a cheap break, was it value for money, on reflection yes. Would I go back, now I know what to expect with the food an dining and service arrangements yes I would.

• Stayed December 2012
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for New Year and had a terrific time.

It's not a corporate, stuffy hotel - we travel alot and get pretty sick of the box ticking chains.

It's relaxed, accommodating, spacious, eclectic, very kid friendly without feeling like a wacky warehouse! Adults and kids are catered for really well. Rooms lovely and staff really helpful.

Honesty bar and cinema was a sweet touch. Rooms really well thought out (kids toy boxes and spare nappies, baby monitors (which the staff were happy to listen out for) etc...)

Can't overstate how impressed we are - really looking forward to returning in the summer and making use of pretty grounds. Kids were gutted to leave, as we were.

We have stated in some great places. This is in our top 5.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Lisa J
cumbriancastle, Owner at Augill Castle, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Lisa

We definitely don't go in for box ticking! Occasionally that ruffles the feathers of guests looking for a particular shaped pigeon hole but hey ho.
But enough of the metaphors. It was great to have you to share our New Year celebrations and you are obviously an Augill shaped family as we were delighted to see you back so soon in February half term.
You will have to return in the summer - just to prove that the grass does get green eventually.

Kind regards

Simon, Wendy, Emily and Oliver (who still covets those shoes!)
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Stainmore
#1 of 3 in Brough
The Black Swan
The Black Swan
#1 of 5 in Ravenstonedale

Been to Augill Castle? Share your experiences!