“Fantastic food and very friendly.”

The Old Mill Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Langtoft B&B and Inns
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and very friendly.”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We recently attended a wedding reception here and we thoroughly enjoyed the whole event. The staff were very friendly and helpful and nothing was too much for them. I can honestly say that the food was excellent, there was definately no scrimping on quality and everyone else commented about how good it was, which when you consider that this was a sit down three course meal with almost sixty guests, I can only say "BRAVO" to the chef. There was more than enough food for everyone and it was all served hot, and the Yorkshire puddings are to die for. There was a small band that played during the afternoon and then a disco during the evening which certainly kept everyone on the dance floor until the very last song. The venue itself is a very warm and friendly place set in the beautiful Yorkshire countryside and we all thought it was the perfect place to share such a perfect day with friends and family. We will definately be coming back. Well done to all.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yorkshirepudlover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2012

After reading "rosebudBridlington's" review i felt i had to say a few words! I stayed at the old mill for 2nights for my sister’s wedding.

I was really impressed with the rooms; they were very spacious with a lovely big comfortable bed and nicely decorated. The rooms included wardrobe with plenty of hangers, dressing table with hair dryer, tea, coffee and biscuits. The bathroom was kitted out with cotton buds and balls ect and the shower was one of the best I’ve had.

The food was delicious, we had an evening meal on the Friday, which was lovely and I did feel a little spoilt for choice. For the wedding breakfast I had the crab cakes, roast pork and lemon torte then tucked into my dad’s cheesecake which was all extremely lovely! At breakfast we were all very well looked after by Gary and the girls, someone was always around with extra toast and taking orders of tea coffee and cooked breakfast, all the plates went back empty which says something!

I was amazed at how clean the whole hotel was from our rooms to the toilets in the bar, I run a domestic cleaning company and it is my job to see dirt that the average eye doesn't. I have full praise for the cleaning team at The Old Mill they must work hard to keep the place the way they do.

The service was outstanding! Gary and Cathie went out of their way for us all, nothing was a problem and they were both lovely to talk to.

There was more people sat for dinner than Cathy and Gary would have normally catered for but they agreed to our numbers so we could have everyone close to us there to celebrate. Having the round 'top table' situated in the middle of the room was the bride and grooms choice and I believe it worked really well as they could be among us all instead of tucked away at the top of the room.

location was quiet with lovely surroundings, I went on a long walk in the morning to work of the breakfast so i could fit into my dress, this was nice to be able to do without having to get into the car.

I would highly recommend The Old Mill and would say to anyone thinking of holding their wedding reception here that there couldn't be anyone happier to help than Gary and Cathy they really went out of their way to cater for all the bride and grooms needs and its sad that someone has criticised their efforts instead of seeing the day for what it was, perfect. As a weekend away taking out the wedding we had a lovely time and the relaxed cosey feel was just our kind of thing, we could see ourselves staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank QueenBeeReilly
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed here for the weekend of my daughters wedding. The reception was held here and I highly recommend it both for a weekend away and for a special function. The staff couldn't have done more. For a function, it was immaculaty organised and all the family praised the choice and congratulated us on our find. The food was wonderful and the choice of menu ensured we all had a special meal. This is a venue where you immediately feel welcome, cared for and "at home". The bedrooms are large ans spacious and exceptionally clean. As we had the whole inn for the weekend I can vouch for every room being equally good and the breakfast was probably the best we have ever had in any hotel.
The inn is situated in a very quiet location with lots of lovely walks around and well worth a visit. I would definitely book in for a weekend break.
I am not sure how many wedding receptions and evening parties the previous reviewer has been to but it is rare in my experience that with most having round tables, there are not some people with backs to others. It is certainly not something to complain about. We loved the idea of having a top"round table" and all our family on both sides and close friends agreed. The staff moved heaven and earth to accommodate our late extras to the planned numbers( which can so often happen) for which we will be eternally grateful that they could be included in the special day. There was plenty of seating for the reception and enough during the evening for people to take a break from the partying. Again I have to question the previous comments. The old mill did a fantastic job in making the day perfect.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Della T
bridlington
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We came here for a wedding party, apparently they hold many receptions at this venue so must have know what to expect but when all the guests arrived there was only one person serving behind the bar, there was only seating for about a quarter of us and a dj was setting up in the very small room next to the bar, so most people ended up gathering in the 'smoking marquee' or on two benches outside in the gravelled car park.

I'm sure it would be a lovely little restaurant but the shape of the room does not really lend itself to a reception as it is long and narrow, so no space for a 'top table' and a lot of guests had their backs to the newly weds with no room to swing a cat - im not sure what the maximum capacity is, but I think it should be reduced.

We sat where the food was being brought out, the staff had to squeeze past my chair with every dish, and went over to the far end of the room first carrying what seemed like one prawn cocktail at a time, some guests appeared to have finished their first course before ours had arrived which shouldnt happen when all the food was pre ordered and pre empted in advance.

After a very long wait my 'crabcakes' was singed and singular.,The table next to us sat looking at a dish of vegetables for at least five minutes before the actual meal was brought out, it was a long and arduous experience. No one wants to complain about anything at an occasion like that as it was a joyful event with a wonderful couple and we were thrilled to be invited, but had I been with my family or friends on a different occasion I would have.

The main course was eventually very nice with the best yorkshire pudding I have eaten, and sweet of lemon torte fine but I couldnt wait to get out and stretch my legs.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
garyno, Owner at The Old Mill Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review. As you rightly say we frequently host ceremonies and receptions at the hotel and are familiar with what to expect and how to cope with a large number of guests. I was the person serving behind the bar There is an initial rush for the bar when the guests arrive and this last for about 15 - 20 minutes. During this time nobody was left waiting for more than a couple of minutes. There was very little seating in the bar because we moved all our leather armchairs and sofas onto the patio area - it was a lovely sunny afternoon and nearly evreryone wanted to be outside!. The bride and groom had arranged for a mobile dance floor to be placed on the carpet in the bar and lounge area so we had to remove all the seating anyway! We did make sure there was sufficient seating on the patio area and on the gravelled area infront of the hotel entrance - albeit by using picnic tables for the latter. The DJ had to come and set up his equipment in the early afternoon because the bride and groom had arranged fore a really good local trio to play music in the bar area from 6.0pm until 8.0pm. This meant that the disco had to be set up well before this and yes, the DJ was just finishing off as the guests arrived.
The table arrangement was decided by the bride - we do normally have the "top table" set up at the head of the restaurant so that all the other guests can see the bride and groom. We did have a problem serving food to one table because of a lack of space between the chairs of adjacent tables preventing easy access for the waitresses. Initially the guest numbers were set at 50 but, as often occurs, the numbers did "creep up" eventually to 58 on the evening before the reception. We did point out to the bride that 55 guests is a comfortable maximum and 57-58 would be a little cramped but we decided to go ahead and the bride and groom accepted the compromise on space.
I am perplexed by the reviewer feeling the wedding breakfast was "arduous". We always serve one table at a time then move on to the next - so yes it is possible that one table may have finished their starters as the later tables are just receiving theirs. I must point out that I was responsible for ensuring the afternoon and evening schedule kept to the bride and groom's plan. We commenced serving the starters at 4.40pm and the desserts were finished at 5.50pm ready for the toast and speeches at 6.0pm. I donot agree that this length of time for a 3 course meal is arduous - I don't think we should rush the proceedings!
Finally, we and all the staff really enjoyed the celebration; all the guests who spoke to me commented how good the meal was and how the food was hot when it arrived at the table. We know that our restaurant comfortably seats 55 for a wedding breakfast - but we always try to work with the bride and groom to accommodate their wishes - Michelle and Paul said how much they had enjoyed the whole day - the meal, the service, the music and the disco. I am sorry this reviewer was unhappy but he or she was definitely in a very small minority.
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We got a groupon voucher, and it was well worth it. Food was nice & staff were friendly. Room deco was very outdated, but clean & comfortable.
Quite a lot of dogs walking around (which didn't bother us as we like dogs!) but if your not keen, maybes give it a miss!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank NigelandAshley
garyno, Owner at The Old Mill Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
We are pleased the guests enjoyed their stay. We are a pet friendly hotel and do allow pets in the bedrooms and bar/lounge area. It is true our 13 month old black labrador does like one particular leather armchair! However, all our sofas and chairs in the lounge are leather and are vacuumed twice daily - this being more to remove the crushed crisps and peanuts which collect in the folds of the upholstery. Our black and chocolate labradors shed very little hair unlike yellow labradors.
We have had guests with children who were unaware that the hotel is pet friendly and in one instance a young boy was terrified of dogs subsequent to a very bad experience he had previously. However, all our dogs especially "Bodie" love children, and by the end of their 3 days stay here, the child was cuddling "Bodie" our chocolate labrador, and asked if he could take him home!
We are synmpathetic with guests who really feel ill at ease around dogs and will keep our labradors upstairs in our flat if they prefer - this is rarely necessary as we do stress on our website that we are pet friendly.
Mablethorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed here two nights on a Groupon deal - quiet countryside location - clean comfortable room - very good food - highly recommend the Sunday lunch menu which is served through into the evening (much as I love desserts there was no way I could even attempt one after the first two courses). Pleasant staff. Four large friendly labradors about the place - one especially likes a chair in the lounge area so if you don't like pet hairs on your clothes be careful where you sit ! For us a thoroughly enjoyable break.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Booked through groupon. Good introduction to this lovely little gem. Will definitely be going back. Could not book in till 1630 , but not a major problem. We where pleasantly surprised by the quality of the rooms and the facilities. Very friendly and warm (homely) feel. Breakfast good continental selection. Full English available at additional charge. Only reason we did not have cooked was that we could not eat loads following the absolutely fantastic meal we had in the restaraunt the night previous. The normal prices for the rooms are not to bad and also the restaraunt prices where very reasonable considering the excellent quality, good selection of wines, although no Rioja but hey ho. Location is good, if you want somewhere very quiet where no distraction of phone calls (only weak signal on some networks) then this is the place. If you dont mind taxi back from Driffield 0030 Saturday morning cost £16. (cheaper than loosing yr licence) this is the place for you again. This was a quiet break for wife's birthday. Really happy and chilled.

Room Tip: Ask for room not facing car park