“Lovely venue, cooling breezes, nice views, ok food”
Review of Belmont Estate

Belmont Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Belmont
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely venue, cooling breezes, nice views, ok food”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Like so many places in Grenada, the dining experience is enhanced if you are not sweating like a pig. Belmont achieves this by having its huge restaurant open on all four sides with the building's roof on top. So many nice touches...until you look up and see the lighting consists of bare light bulbs hanging down on ropes like a KGB interrogation room. Just don't look up...

Food was Grenadian buffet, so it was possible to sample some different things withou committing too heavily to any one item before trying. Range was sufficient but not wide. Quality was good but not great. Slightly overpriced at EC 45 pp + tax + 10% sc. That is without drinks.

This is basically a tour group pit stop. They are geared up for the cruise people. So if you get there when it opens at 12, you will find yourslf waiting for the buffet to be ready --- it is timed for the cruise coach. All very touristy, but pleasant nonetheless.

2 Thank Canoemum

cary, nc
“Kelly, our guide was 5*, food not worth it”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We loved out guide and walking around this beautiful plantation. The food, however was over priced and the service was ssslllloooowww. Items in gift shop were available in town cheaper. Major bug bites up by the monkey cage, so ask for some bug spray before you go up.

Visited December 2011
3 Thank four-from-nc
new jersey
“incredible views, delicious food, lovely people”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stopped here for lunch today during a tour with Mandoo. Lunch was absolutely delicious. I'm not a fan of fruit juices, however the juice I had there was freshly squeezed and was probably the best fruit drink I've ever had. We had an appetizer, a buffet lunch, and dessert. I'm sorry I can't remember everything I had, I just know that I loved it all.

I can't really speak about the price because it was included in our tour. But honestly, I wouldn't have been picky about the price considering how good the food was. And the views! just beautiful.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank ms_golightly19
Chapel Hill, NC
“Good food, great attraction for chocolate lovers”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

My wife and I visited Belmont Estate in late October, 2011. We timed our drive from the southwest to arrive in time for the lunch buffet and then take the “cocoa tour”. Both are recommended.

The food served at lunch is not itself exceptional, but it was all good and offered a variety of local dishes buffet-style – so you can sample a number of dishes. The guests were a mix of tourists and locals. The open air setting is attractive and overlooks the cocoa-drying beds and green hills beyond, with a distant sliver of blue ocean.

The tour is informative and interesting. You’ll see cocoa trees, cocoa pods, fermenting beans, and drying beans. They let us take our shoes off and walk through the drying cocoa beans (part of the process – staff do so every 30 minutes). At the end they gave us a little sample of hot “cocoa tea” which was delicious if not precisely what one craves after 30 minutes walking around in the tropical sun.

There are ample stocks of the resulting Grenada Chocolate Company products for sale after the tour, these are sold all over Grenada.

Of note, my wife (who generally dislikes car travel anywhere) found driving in Grenada to be predictably harrowing. The trip to Belmont Estate is a long one by car, and she did not enjoy it. She nonetheless agreed that the estate itself was worth a visit. A likely “must” for the chocoholics in your party, and recommended for all.

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank browdl
Sausalito, CA
“Low Key Perfection”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

What a great place Belmont Estate is. First of all, it is peaceful and beautiful. It has cool stuff including people stomping around in trays of chocolate, cocoa trees and ancient buildings. You would think they wouldn't attend to the food, since there is so much of a draw for other things, but the food is really, really good.

We dined on the buffet and this was not your American hotel buffet by any means. The food seemed home grown and thought out. The dining room is a beautiful open air building with impressive construction. It looks out on the peaceful grounds. The service is professional and low key.

It's just an all around very nice place and was my favorite experience on the island (and I love everything about Grenada.) The only bad part is you really wish you could stay the night.

• Visited December 2010