“Always good food”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 30, 2013

UB's has really good Italian food. Seating can get a little cramped but they are busy which must mean something! Lots of options for main course and desserts are good. Plus they bring out cotton candy for the kids (and adults). A great feature for UB is that they are always willing to do Take Out which is good when you have younger children and do not want to take them to a late dinner. UB is one of our favorite Italian places to go.

1  Thank Bill F

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My family has been coming to Uncle Bacala's for a number of years now and I can tell you that if you are looking for a fun NYC scene, great food and a family atmosphere you will not be disappointed with Uncle Bacala's.

The quality of the ingredients that go into the food and the diversity of the menu with old world Italian standards and modern twists to the traditions really are incredible and when you get to know Peter the owner you understand that this is his passion and couldn't be done any other way.

The waitstaff at the restaurant are attentive to your every need whether you're there as a party of 2 or a celebration party of 15+. If you're unsure of what to get or want to be adventurous the waitstaff is ready to assist with great knowledge and on target recommendations.

Getting in and getting a table is also smoother than any restaurant you'll find on the North Shore, and if you're a resident or frequent visitor to the North Shore of Long Island you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. While reservations are always a good idea, especially with a larger party, Eva the hostess and Peter the owner will always work to accommodate the last minute drop ins and you're never greeted with the usual attitude that says "you've got to be kidding, wait a few hours and we'll see".

If you're looking for a location for your large party, definitely give them a call as well, they have large parties down to a science and you'll always feel like you're part of the restaurant, not relegated to some dark back room dungeon.

1  Thank Paul C
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We've been to Uncle Bacala's before, and have always enjoyed it. On this particular August night, for some reason, they chose to turn off the air conditioning and open the front door. This resulted in the restaurant being uncomfortably hot, and having flies buzzing around our table. When I asked the waiter about the air conditioning, he said they were "getting ready" to turn it on. By the end of our meal, we declined to order coffee (something we would ordinarily have done) because it was so hot, we just wanted to get out of there. Just as we rose to leave, we felt the AC kick on. I asked the manager why he didn't have the AC on earlier. He replied that the front door was open. He also said when he left at 6PM it seemed okay. On an evening in August, when afternoon temperatures were in the 80s, one open door with no cross ventilation doesn't cut it. Turn on the air conditioning!!
There were no complaints about the food, but our meal was ruined for us because of the heat and the flies.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I hosted a communion party at UB's a few weeks ago. Although the party was scheduled to start @ 3PM, we (and another party) were delayed due to a previous party still being in the room. While waiting I had ordered my guests some beverages (alcohol and soda) while we were all crambed in the bar area. Not only did UB's not comp any of the beverages, they actually charged me for the 3 soda's ordered at the bar while waiting and soda was included in my package!
Oddly enough I was having a discussion with a stranger who happened to be at UB's that same day having a Chistening who had the same delay in addition to some other issues. Since that party complained, it seems that they were comp'd their entire bar bill! Bottom line, it pays to complain.

2  Thank Rob859
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Even though this is our local Italian fish/pasta restaurant, it is still my favorite any place I've been in any state. I have gone here for dinner, for lunch with friends, and even had celebration parties here. Thank you Uncle Bacala's for setting the standard and getting dinner right, every time.

1  Thank PattyG614