“A good and friendly hotel with some odd quirks....”

Best Western Willerby Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Willerby
Reviewed November 26, 2013

As many have reported, this is an attractive hotel in a good location. The Figs Brasserie serves some very good meals, I recommend the grilled dover sole and the lamb shank. I'd also recommend to the management that they offer some light options to suite a broader range of clients. The breakfasts are probably very good by UK standards but are very greasy and heavy and would not suit a European or N. American taste. The coffee is terrible - drink tea! The rooms are clean and the cleaning staff is efficient and friendly. The staff on the registration desk are excellent. Now the quirky bits...

Like many hotels you have to slip the room key into a slot to turn power on, but unlike most hotels this seems to affect EVERY power point in the room. The result is, if you want to use the digital clock you have to reset it after every trip out of the room. There was a battery-operated clock in the room, but it had no battery in it, perhaps just as well as it is a type that will tick. I'd likely end up removing the battery.

The Figs Brasserie serves good meals, but the method of ordering is bizarre. First a waiter takes us to the table and explains the menu. Next we enter our order on a slip of paper, but since the waiters can't trust their readings of our entries they have to come and pick up the orders, then come back later to read it through and check that what we ordered is what we actually want. This is odd and time-consuming.

The cleaners, doubtless on instruction, have an odd way of making the beds which we had to change on every occasion. It involves tucking in the duvet at the head of the bed instead of the foot. So the first step always is to undo all of this and move the duvet down the bed so that feet will be covered in bed.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Rare night away from children, food staff and location were fantastic, made us feel so welcome and the staff were so friendly will use again I had beef meal which was gorgeous wife had salad which was fresh and tasty

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I booked late and room only rate was £83.50, a little expensive I thought but the best I could do at short notice. Friendly staff on reception, the young receptionist upgraded me on arrival.
The room was larger than I expected, clean and the bathroom though a bit dated was adequate.
I didn't eat there as I wandered into Willerby for a curry, which was top notch.
Had a pint in the bar later and the staff were friendly and the surroundings good.
Left early the next morning but I would recommend the hotel and thanks to the staff. Pleasant and friendly staff always make a difference!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Andy C
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Great stay at this friendly, clean and excellent hotel. Room was huge and well equipped and laid out. Fantastic big bed. Food was excellent in the evening best beef I have had in some years and breakfast was on the money as well. Price at £66 special deal for single B and B on a business offer was top value and I had a perfect hotel experience. Well worth using. Mach.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Stayed again on business, very pleasant check in, I was going out for the evening so I needed a speedy meal service, so ate in the bar and I just had soup and a wrap. Promptly served complete with a courteous service check. Room warm and clean. Sadly I Left early in the morning and missed breakfast. No complaints,the staff will always try to please, would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My mother and I spent a one night 'girlie' break on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis in a superior twin room, booked on the BW website for £85 around 10 days in advance.
The main reason for our break was to relax, and we chose this hotel based on the fact that it offers a pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi-everything we need to hole ourselves up for the night!

On arrival we were greeted by two friendly receptionists who checked us into a nice large twin room which overlooked the gardens.

Dinner in Figs brasserie was lovely. Food well cooked and arrived quickly and not too overpriced. Staff friendly and attentive without being intrusive.

Breakfast areas very well maintained and staff attentive. Cooked breakfasts made to order and arrived quickly.

Pros: Our superior twin room consisted of two queen sized beds-larger than single, slightly smaller than doubles that were very comfortable and dressed with soft, clean cotton bedding. There was also a large sofa which I assume also doubled up as a sofa bed.

Plentiful supply of tea and coffee in the room, plus Walkers shortbread biscuits.

Gilchrist & Soames shower gel, hand wash and hair and body wash in the bathroom.

Plenty of towels left for us.

Staff throughout the hotel seem to genuinely enjoy working there and the standard of customer service is excellent. Nothing too much of an issue-be it a request for extra tea bags in the room or an extra towel for the sauna everything was provided on request.

Cons:

The week prior to our stay I emailed the hotel requesting a price list and availability for the on site beauty salon as I'd have liked to treat my mother to a facial or massage. However I was advised that the salon was closed due to the beautician being on holiday! Not the hotels fault as it is an independently run salon, however it does look bad on the hotel when a beauty salon only has one member of staff and is forced to shut shop whenever she wants a day off!

The hotel is in serious need of an update. It is very clean overall, the public areas have been modernized and look very fresh however the bedrooms are very old fashioned with ancient bathrooms, discolored wallpaper and no temperature control! The rooms were swelteringly hot even with the radiators turned down and the the windows open. The corridors are also very dated with varnished wooden doors. The health club changing rooms were like a 70's nightmare!This said though, not a thing was out of place-no torn wallpaper, no grime and obviously well maintained. Just extremely dated.

The entrance to the hotel is marked only by a sign. The hotel itself looks nothing like a hotel from the 'front'! There was what appeared to be a goods entrance, a hair salon, a block of low rise flats (these turned out to be the bedrooms!) and a very strange car park! You are more than likely to think you're in the wrong place on arrival, so I'd maybe suggest the hotel places a sign or at least something above the doors to mark that this is the hotel entrance.

There are no lifts! We twice encountered guests with buggies who had to encounter the stairs.

Breakfast buffet a little disappointing. Plenty of tinned fruit, yogurt and a decent selection of cereals however no pastries, Nutella, muffins, cooked meats/cheeses or fancy breads which I'd expect from any hotel serving breakfast to be honest. Juice was limited to orange and was brought to the table rather than being left out for us to help ourselves to. I'd have also liked to see fresh fruit available.

There are Aldi, Lidl and Waitrose Supermarkets within a mile of the hotel so that you may stock up on supplies or grab anything you may have forgotten to bring.

Overall, a lovely stay and great value for money. We would stay again should the occasion arise.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel face the gardens-request one of these if you like to peer out, otherw...