“Best Part of My trip”
Review of El Pequeno Suites

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chapala
El Pequeno Suites
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Chapala
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I normally don't review hotels online; instead I just vote with my feet and return or avoid, based on my experience. I also would never rate anything if the owner solicited a good review. Reviews should be earned and deserved, good or bad. That being said, I felt that this small hotel was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. I recently retired from a profession that required me to travel a lot and I have stayed at over 150 hotels in the last 10 years.

There was no TV, no swimming pool or hot tub, no A/C, or room service. There was good WIFI, a clean and comfortable bed, plenty of hot water, free bottled water and within walking distance to all the places I wanted to visit or the buses to get there. I got my room cleaned every day (normally hotels only clean once a week if you stay 2 weeks, like I did) I was able to relax, avoid my phone, and sleep late everyday and do what I came to do- RELAX and look at the possibility of retiring to the area. The owners were very attentive and the room was very quiet, even though life in Chapala doesn't sleep. The area was very safe, (police department across the street) and in the heart of Lake Chapala. It was a very comfortable room and I did not miss TV or A/C.

I made my reservation a month in advance, but the price went down afterwards and my price was lowered without having to ask. This is a very good price for a very nice place to stay. I needed a refrigerator to keep my insulin cold and they put a small unit in my room. The kitchen is well stocked, but the prices to eat out were so cheap, that I didn't use it much. Murray was also able to refer me to someone to take me to the airport when I left, that was cheaper than the taxi from the airport when I arrived. (350 pesos)

I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: I would pick #2 if you want the quietest section of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Phillip O
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thanks for a great review Phillip, it was a joy to have you as a guest, please come back any time.

I am glad your stay here helped with your decision about retiring in the area., we find a lot of our customers are here for the same reason - to research and access the area as a possible retirement destination - Our little hotel is a good match for people in your position, with the hotel's central location there is no need for a car, and people can get to know if the area is right for their retirement goals. Some guests work with local real estate agents, some simply get a feel for the area on their own. With having the full kitchen in the hotel guests can stay for long term, check out lots of the local restaurants and still have the ability to make home cooked meals when they want to.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Yes there are still well kept secrets; this little hotel is one of them. What a nice surprise to find so much comfort when away from home for months. Clean, Clean, Clean that is the first comment I would like to make.The rooms are comfortable with very large showers and decorated in beautiful Mexican tiles.

Location is wonderful within blocks of everything you could ever need. The local markets, buses, the boardwalk along the lake, this location has it all.

The common kitchen is a great place to meet other guests in the hotel. Share travel stories while dinning on the roof top. Watch the sun rise and set from the roof top one of the best vantage points in the city. Woman travelers can feel safe at this location the streets are lit up around the hotel all night long.

You will not want for anything your hosts are absolutely accommodating to their guests needs.

Thank you Lynne and Murray for a memorable 3 month stay, see you next year.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at El Pequeno Hotel. I agree, the easy walk to just about everything is one of the best things about our little hotel. The kitchen you used so often no longer gives off the great smells from your cooking, but I sure they will be back next year as you will also. Thanks - Lynne and Murray

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We spent a week at the El Pequeno Hotel and really enjoyed our stay. The hosts were very helpful and friendly, even helping us lug some of our luggage around. The location was central and easy walking distance from the malecon, restaurants, shopping and the tennis courts at the park.. And the bed was very comfortable. It was convenient to have use of a fridge and stove and to enjoy an early morning coffee up on the mirador.
Our bicycles were stored in a secure and convenient garage.
We have already recommended this hotel to friends.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for a great review, it was a pleasure to have you here with us.
As some of our other previous guests have discovered here at the hotel, the storing of your bicycles in the garage next to your room works out very well and is very secure. Thanks for the review and recommending us to your friends. Lynne and Murray

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have now occupied each of the 4 rooms in El Pequeno Hotel and find it hard to say which room I loved the best...Each room is uniquely decorated in bright Mexican colors...The beds are so warm and inviting and comfortable...I love to cook and the shared kitchenette was a joy to prepare meals in...To look out over Lago de Chapala, from the rooftop mirador while eating my prepared meal was heaven...This little jewel will soon get recognized as an outstanding Hotel so book early for your little slice of Paradise....

Room Tip: All of the rooms are decorated in right beautiful Mexican colors...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Thanks for the nice review.
Our shared kitchen offers not only the chance to create your own favorites while away from home, or cater to specific dietary needs but also many of our guests tell us stories of how friendships started in the kitchen over meal preparation.
The rooftop mirador offers a great view over the city and lake that you can appreciate while enjoying your meals, whether it is a sunrise or a sunset. You can get take out meals from the many restaurants located just a short walk away or prepare your own right here.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

PERFECT, describes this quaint hotel in Chapala. Centrally located, we loved being so close to the Mexican restaurants, the malecon, and all the local shopping. The hotel is very clean and the rooms are well laid out. Awesomely large bathrooms, great shared kitchenette, and great views from the top mirador. We will definitely be back. Thanks M & L

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank P H
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Thanks P for the great review, it was great to spend Christmas with you two and we will always welcome you back.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Small, little noise, central location and very near the Lake Chapala waterfront, clean, newly decorated and loaded with character. Yes, it has strong and free wifi connection in each of the spacious rooms. Best of all, the price is right. It represents value!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Arnold B
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Thanks for the review, glad to have you as a guest. glad you found value in staying with us.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We were so glad to find this beautiful hotel! After a long day ride on motorbike we arrived to Chapala and started looking for a place to stay, found a couple very pricey places, that were only ok, but then we found this hidden gem. This boutique hotel has a beautiful roof patio, kitchenette and all the rooms are different, very clean and cosy. The owner is really nice and helpful! We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lesanka
murray r, Owner at El Pequeno Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Thanks for the review, it was a pleasure having you as guests and the information you gave us about your travels was fascinating and helpful. Should you plan another motorcycle trip make sure to come by and at least say Hi. Glad we were able to accommodate you and your motorcycle in our facilities. Please recommend us to any of your friends who may be traveling by motorcycle through the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapala
SR Hotel & Suites
Hotel Balneario San Juan Cosala
Hotel Danza Del Sol
Hotel Danza Del Sol
#2 of 7 in Ajijic

Been to El Pequeno Suites? Share your experiences!