“Delicious Mother's Day Brunch!”

The Falls-view Dining Room
Cuisines: Bar, Canadian, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Owen Sound, Canada
“Delicious Mother's Day Brunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

My family thoroughly enjoyed our Mother's Day brunch this morning. The food was delicious, many hot and cold items to choose from, the desserts were awesome too! Our server was very friendly and attentive. Beautiful view of the falls and since it was such a nice day we walked around and enjoyed the area. We will definitely return.

Meaford, Canada
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

A marvelous gem hidden in the small town of Walters Falls offers a visitor a marvelous meal in a restaurant that takes advantage of its beautiful views. Don't miss trying the chefs homemade soup.

• Visited October 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Flies in the Restaurant”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Four members of our family, all adults and all well- travelled, dined at this inn on October 11, 2013. The facility was fine. The food was excellent. The service was amateurish. We were constantly bothered by flies from the moment we were seated until we left. There was never a moment when one or more of us wasn't waving a hand to prevent one or more flies from landing on us or our food. On the way out, I spoke to the woman at the front desk and said positive things about the facility and the food. I then said that they must do something about the flies. The response was along the lines of "We can't do anything about it. See that door over there - when it is open, the flies come in. We can't do anything about the flies." Further discussion ensued, with the same take- it- or-leave-it attitude from the staff person. A person making a delivery then joined in and asked if I wanted to "shout" at him for opening the door to bring supplies into the building.
The combination of the flies, the indifferent staff person and the cheek of the delivery person (who may well have been a hotel employee) ensure that we will not return to this establishment.
Disappointed Diner, 2013

3 Thank David K
fallsinnwf, Owner at The Falls-view Dining Room, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to review. Your representation of the conversation is not entirely accurate, but I guess you did indicate 'or something like that' so to be fair, I will try to give the specific information.

First we take the fly issue seriously with a process of annual spraying, traps hidden in service areas and traps in vents and ducts throughout the building. 3 times a day we also have what we call 'fly time' where all service, kitchen and managing staff grab a fly swatter and hunt the pests down. Of course this is before we open, at the end of the night and between service as it is not an activity anyone wants to witness. If Jane got the impression you were looking for more information she would have mentioned this. But, as it happens, when you came to discuss the issue our groom for Sundays wedding was off-loading about 200 albino pumpkins into our office with the front door propped open. I am sure it was 200 because I carried them all down to the lower banquet room after Saturdays event was complete. It took me 45 minutes to get everything between floors so I know the door was open for some time.

This was when Jane indicated that as we operate on a waterfall, by a river and beside a forest we cannot get every insect that could come near the building. As the outdoors is the reason people come to see us they often visit the patios and use the many doors to transition from our interior to the outdoors that brought them to us. She was laughing when she said 'as you can see we don't always have control of the doors' as you could see the groom working to bring his decorations inside.

This year has been difficult as the warm nights (for mid-October) have kept the flies around longer. Blackflies and mosquitoes are normally an issue mid May to mid June and flies from mid August to late September. The warmer weather has been nice but extends the season past when the insect treatments normally last. In another week we will be done for this year.

Again to be fair, if the approach to the building was nice, the menu and wine selection adequate, the washrooms clean, your reserved table waiting for your arrival, the staff greeted you when you arrived, the servers got your drink and food order promptly and correct, the food was tasty and the value was as expected did we really earn 1 out of 5 on your visit because of seasonal flies and our indication that there is a limit to our control of that issue?

Again we take the issue seriously but we won't stop a wedding party from unloading decorations because a couple flies might come in while they do. We operate in the country and you will find the country here when you visit. We hope you will reconsider and visit again soon.

Dwayne Hallman,
Innkeeper
The Falls Inn & Spa
Port Elgin
“Beautiful area along with a delicious lunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

It was such a beautiful day we drove up to Walter Falls for something to do. Having never been in the area it is absolutely breath-taking. They have a lovely Inn there with a restaurant so we decided to have lunch there with a wonderful view of Walter Falls. The menu had a great variation of foods and we decided to have the fish and chips - the best fish and chips I have ever had with a homemade tartar sauce, sweet potato fries and a spicy coleslaw - excellent. The prices were reasonable as well. The service was friendly and very good. What a lovely to go visit and have a bite to eat. We will be back.

• Visited October 2013
Ontario
“A Very Nice Meal, but Pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We were given an overnight stay package as a gift. The package included $60 towards dinner, but we still ended up with a pretty hefty tab afterwards. In fairness we didn't hold back on what we ordered, but I think the whole thing would have cost close to $200 for 2 of us.

Still the main thing is whether it was a good meal, and I say yes it was. I already posted a review of our stay overall which included some comments on the meal, but here are some specifics:

Pre-appetizers: standard bread rolls - fresh from par-baked I think. Butter with pink red peppercorns scattered on top. That's quite a nice idea. I liked it.

Appetizers: Calamari - very good. Crab cakes - baked in small crab shells. I really enjoyed the seasoning on these. Very nicely done.

Entrees: Lamb shanks - excellent flavour and very tender. Venison - perfectly cooked, but meat slightly lacking in flavour. I do believe that it was the meat and no fault of the chef though.

Dessert: Creme brulee. Okay, but the topping was a bit more like caramel than the traditional crispy sugar brulee that I believe it should be.

Wine: Limited selection, but it was fine.

Overall I do think it was pricey for what it was, but nevertheless is was a great meal.

• Visited September 2013