“Good food, slow service”

The Falls-view Dining Room
Cuisines: Canadian, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Good food, slow service”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Nice location, a bit limited menu, but food was pretty good. However, no umbrellas on the patio - too bad because the view is nice but sun too hot. The restaurant was morally empty on a Thursday afternoon, but service was soooo slow...

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank SteveHoskin
fallsinnwf, Owner at The Falls-view Dining Room, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Hi SteveHoskin,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am having a little trouble stitching your comments together. You indicate that we were having a slow day but no umbrellas were available? Half of the patio is under roof and we have 3 umbrellas for the tables in the sun so lots of shade should have been available to you. Or we were busier than you indicted? I can't be sure.

Our dining experience is created around fresh preparation of local product. As most people need to drive 20+ minutes to join us we try to make the experience last longer than the drive out. I am not sure if you are saying service was slow for chef prepared fresh menu items or slow compared to lunch downtown? We try to provide an experience that includes relaxation and conversation overlooking the falls. If you needed something more quickly, just let us know. We are happy to accommodate both of your requests (shade and speed) if you inform us of your wants.

Thank you for joining us. We hope to see you again.

The Falls Inn & Spa

Kitchener, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as nice as we expected”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Was treated rudely by both waitstaff and the innkeeper. Disappointing food, felt like we were eating at someone's wedding reception. Nice location, too bad there isn't more courtesy given to their guests.

1 Thank A S
fallsinnwf, Owner at The Falls-view Dining Room, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hi AS

I am sorry you did not enjoy your visit.

In our discussion by email you did not indicate your server was rude or any issue with your food. I am not sure why you did not say so sooner.

You indicated that you joined us for 'Wingsday', half price wings on Wednesday evening. On arrival you requested that we not seat children at your table as we seat family-style to accommodate the 110+ people that arrived that night. This is the reason we are in the banquet room as well as it is the only room large enough to hold everyone. Your server then indicated the main level lounge was available with smaller private seating but the same menu. You opted to stay where you were.

A little later the same server asked if an arriving family with grown teens could join your table as they thought 'children' indicated 12 and under. You agreed they could join the table but after your visit indicated you felt put on the spot by the request. You also said there were other tables they could have been seated at.

In my response I indicated that you were welcome to politely indicate you wanted to remain seated on your own. We would have accommodated that request. I also indicated that in a future visit to ensure this did not happen again feel free to select the lounge or dining room to ensure no one else joined your table. I also indicated that we seat by zone to ensure the servers are not too busy with arrivals to offer good service. If we made the family wait or put them in a busy zone we would be getting an email or review from them about how they were treated.

I hope you can see what I am saying. You selected the family-style seating in the banquet room on arrival. You indicated not to be seated with 'children' and we thought we were accommodating that request. And we asked about seating the party with you before they joined your table. Given all the options and discussion we thought we got it right for you. We just don't understand why you waited to email us that we were wrong?

From our ongoing conversation I can gather that what you wanted was for me to say that we should know that teenagers are children and your server should not have put you in that position. After all the customer is always right. But in truth we did go out of our way on a busy night to try and understand your request. We discussed your options with you and asked before seating anyone else with you. We did our best. I am sorry it was not enough.

We hope you will join us in the future. Please select the private dining options if you return to ensure you enjoy the evening.

Best regards,
Toronto, Canada
“Needs work”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The food needs some big changes. Lunch and dinner were both a disappointment and lack flavour and tastes

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bevq
fallsinnwf, Owner at The Falls-view Dining Room, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Hi, as you provided the details of your meal on our accommodation page I have placed the response here as well for others to read.

I am surprised by your review of the dining experience with us. I will go over the comments by order of meals. First breakfast has an included $6 per person credit as discussed with your server when you are seated. So you can have the fruit or french toast included in your stay or get $6 off the other items you mentioned. I have had a quick look online and found many smoked salmon plates and eggs bennies for $12 and often more in the city or Niagara Falls area. But our overnight guests pay just a $6 upgrade for such items.

At lunch I can say the signature burger is our top seller. The description "100% Canadian beef, guacamole, fire roasted peppers, blue cheese, spicy aioli. Served with Yukon gold fries " does indicate you should expect a lot of strong flavor with this burger. We also offer a traditional 'build-a-burger' option using the same house-made patty if a beefy burger was your preference. The fish and chips "Herb & beer battered blue cod, sweet potato fries, spicy coleslaw, homemade tartar sauce and grilled lemon" is made with fresh cod from Ontario Fisheries, battered in Flying Monkies Ale seasoned batter, made in-house, and served with the listed spicy coleslaw and sweet potato fries, aioli and tartar sauce with grilled lemon. Both of these items are exceptionally popular. The response of 'tasteless' and 'over flavored' when so much care has gone into the creation is not our usual feedback. I can only welcome others to share their opinion when they try them.

For dinner I do wonder what doneness you requested for your steak? The steak is West Grey Premium, locally raised beef as we are in beef country here. In all cases we are happy to take a steak back and redo it if we are made aware of an issue. The same can be said for the lamb.

I am thankful you enjoyed your breakfast as I cooked it for you. But Meg, my wife, checked you out after your stay and our servers follow up with each table to see how they are enjoying their meal. With all these opportunities for us to work with you to provide a meal you will enjoy you never told us you were unhappy. We were with you the entire time but we got your feedback only from this review. Even though we asked.

All I can say is the reviews here about the meals are generally positive and that is what we normally hear from the customers we talk to. If we had an off night I am sorry it happened to you. I wish we knew it was going wrong so we could take the items back for the kitchen to correct and ensure a high quality for all our guests. Great care is taken in the creation and combinations in our menu. We invite others to try the creations and decide for themselves.

Best Regards,
The Falls Inn & Spa
Collingwood, Canada
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

As my fiancé and I will be getting married here in July we went to see the Inn again before our big day. A great experience every time.

• Visited June 2013
Brampton, Canada
“excellent food”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Dinner was excellent! We ordered the antipasto platter for app., 10 oz. steak & salmon. We were served on time and was very pleased with the experience. There was also a great view of the falls from the dining area.

Visited June 2013