“Needs work”

The Falls-view Dining Room
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The food needs some big changes. Lunch and dinner were both a disappointment and lack flavour and tastes

1  Thank Bevq
fallsinnwf, Owner at The Falls-view Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Hi, as you provided the details of your meal on our accommodation page I have placed the response here as well for others to read.

I am surprised by your review of the dining experience with us. I will go over the comments by order of meals. First breakfast has an included $6 per person credit as discussed with your server when you are seated. So you can have the fruit or french toast included in your stay or get $6 off the other items you mentioned. I have had a quick look online and found many smoked salmon plates and eggs bennies for $12 and often more in the city or Niagara Falls area. But our overnight guests pay just a $6 upgrade for such items.

At lunch I can say the signature burger is our top seller. The description "100% Canadian beef, guacamole, fire roasted peppers, blue cheese, spicy aioli. Served with Yukon gold fries " does indicate you should expect a lot of strong flavor with this burger. We also offer a traditional 'build-a-burger' option using the same house-made patty if a beefy burger was your preference. The fish and chips "Herb & beer battered blue cod, sweet potato fries, spicy coleslaw, homemade tartar sauce and grilled lemon" is made with fresh cod from Ontario Fisheries, battered in Flying Monkies Ale seasoned batter, made in-house, and served with the listed spicy coleslaw and sweet potato fries, aioli and tartar sauce with grilled lemon. Both of these items are exceptionally popular. The response of 'tasteless' and 'over flavored' when so much care has gone into the creation is not our usual feedback. I can only welcome others to share their opinion when they try them.

For dinner I do wonder what doneness you requested for your steak? The steak is West Grey Premium, locally raised beef as we are in beef country here. In all cases we are happy to take a steak back and redo it if we are made aware of an issue. The same can be said for the lamb.

I am thankful you enjoyed your breakfast as I cooked it for you. But Meg, my wife, checked you out after your stay and our servers follow up with each table to see how they are enjoying their meal. With all these opportunities for us to work with you to provide a meal you will enjoy you never told us you were unhappy. We were with you the entire time but we got your feedback only from this review. Even though we asked.

All I can say is the reviews here about the meals are generally positive and that is what we normally hear from the customers we talk to. If we had an off night I am sorry it happened to you. I wish we knew it was going wrong so we could take the items back for the kitchen to correct and ensure a high quality for all our guests. Great care is taken in the creation and combinations in our menu. We invite others to try the creations and decide for themselves.

Best Regards,
Dwayne Hallman
Innkeeper
The Falls Inn & Spa

There are newer reviews for The Falls-view Dining Room

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

As my fiancé and I will be getting married here in July we went to see the Inn again before our big day. A great experience every time.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Dinner was excellent! We ordered the antipasto platter for app., 10 oz. steak & salmon. We were served on time and was very pleased with the experience. There was also a great view of the falls from the dining area.

2  Thank Shobana T
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

We went to the Falls Inn for our Christmas dinner. It was around $25 - $30 a plate. The dinner was mediocre at best with regards to what was on the menu. But what really got us was the stuffing - it was burnt and instead of making a new batch, the chef just mixed it up to hide the black crust. The only appealing thing about the Falls Inn, besides the view - was the desserts.

Also - this is not a kid friendly restaurant.

1  Thank ck765
fallsinnwf, Owner at The Falls-view Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Hi ck765,

We want to thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are sorry you did not enjoy your visit. It seems from reading the facts in your review that you have been a bit unfair with a couple points. I would like to clear these up for others that read this review.

First off, The Falls Inn & Spa is kid and family friendly. We have and provide colouring books for children to help keep them entertained and our staff have at times retrieved toys from their own car if a child is restless waiting for a meal. The house policy is Children welcome, especially at Christmas. But we will suggest the lounge or early reservations for familys for the comfort of couples dining later in the evening (on nights other than Christmas). Children are expected to understand they are out for a special dinner and dress for that. Running, screaming etc. is not appropreate but I do not remember any issues at Christmas in that regard.

As for the price, I am not sure what you think is a proper price for Christmas at a fine country Inn on a waterfall. Even the local golf courses charge more than this for their weekly Sunday Brunch. And this was Christmas. We feel the price is a very good value all things considered.

Each year Meg and I bring our family and her Mother to the Christmas dinner. As we want to give as much of our staff the night off as we can to be with their family. Going to the dinner allows us to be with our family and be on the job. As all 6 of us ate the buffet and we both worked the evening, I am confused about the burnt stuffing you described. We did not eat burnt stuffing and we helped ourselves in line with all other guests. The chef did not inform us that he was informed of an issue with the stuffing and the servers did not bring this issue to our attention. The review indicates the stuffing was removed and poorly fixed. We were there all night and checked-out each guest personally. We did not witness this, we were not informed by our staff of this and we did not discuss this when any guest paid. I know this review was posted late May, but these issues are not forgot by the owners so I am not sure what would have happened? Again for others reading, here is the menu from our reservation calendar for the meal to compare value for yourself:

Assorted breads and spreads, Garden Salad, Caesar Salad, Coleslaw, Apple Fennel Salad, Greek Salad, Cheese and Cracker tray, Pickle Tray, Smoked salmon and Shrimp Tray, Mussels, Soup of the day, Turkey with stuffing, gravy and cranberries, Roast Beef with horseradish cream, Stuffed Pork Tenderloin with Apple Glaze, Mashed potatoes, Medley of fresh Veggies, Hot pasta Dish, Full Dessert Table - individual crème Brule as well as our flourless chocolate cake, chaffer of apple crisp, pumpkin pie as well as regular goodies.

Of course the facts of the review are oly so important. The important thing is you did not enjoy your visit and we are sorry to hear that. We wish we had discussed the situation with you the night of the event as we were there. We may have been able to satisfy your comments better at that time.

Best Regards,
Dwayne Hallman
Innkeeper,
The Falls Inn & Spa

Reviewed May 18, 2013

The owner Dwayne actually made the breakfast the first morning,
extra touches made it special.
Unfortunately I ended up ordering TWO breakfasts, which I had no problem taking care of.