“A wonderful 2 day stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Walters Falls
The Falls Inn & Spa
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I decided to get away from Toronto for a 2 days stay at the Falls Inn for our anniversrary. The Inn is very beautiful and well kept and the location is right beside the waterfall which is lovely. You could hear the waterfall from your room when the windows or balcony door was open. When we arrived, we were checked in and the lady at the reception(can't remember her name, but started with a J), she was very helpful to provide a bit of history on Walters Falls, things to do and see around the area. Our room was very clean(which I am very picky about). The beds were not very comfortable. I would give this place a 8/10 for cleaniness, service and location. The only thing I had an issue with was the food. It was average, nothing special, and that is putting it kindly. The only thing I enjoyed was the morning breakfast, which came with a choice of french toast or fruit salad. The amount of food included in the room package was small in proportion and anything else you had to pay extra, which was pricey because just for eggs or smoked salmon and a bagel it cost $12! this seemed silly to me since even in Toronto, breakfast is not even that expensive. Lunch food from the pation was a disappointment. I had fish and chips, I could not finish even finish my food because the food had no taste. My husband had a burger, which was not any better, I had tasted it and realized that they had too many competiting tastes happening you could not even taste the meat. I had hoped dinner would be an improvement. We had planned to go out for dinner but my husband convinced me for us to stay and try their dinner, in hopes that it would be better. I had a steak and crab-mash potatoes and my husband had the lamb. I was only able to eat the mash potatoes and a quarter of my steak because it tasted horrible. There was no seasoning, and it was over cooked. My husband also did not finish his lamb as he mentioned it was tough. We had ended sharing a table with another couple who were also staying there, and the lady complained of how hard her pheasant was that she did not finish it either. I am a bit surprised that such a lovely Inn, with great service does not have better food. They really need to work on that if they want people to stay there and enjoy their food. Also we did a few walks/hikes in the area along the Bruce trail which was lovely and visited Inglis Falls, a very beautiful waterfall. The surrounding towns were very nice and we toured, Coffin Ridge Winery, the town of Meadford, Owen Sound and Muskoka(Blue Mountains). Our experience as a whole was lovely and I would definately come back, but would not eat lunch or dinner there. Looking forward to our next visit to Walter's Falls.

Room Tip: To avoid the noise from the patio, select rooms on the third floor or away from the patio
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
fallsinnwf, Owner at The Falls Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Hi and thank you for taking the time to review.

We are glad to hear you found your stay mostly enjoyable and clean. We work hard to provide a valuable getaway for our guests.

I am surprised by your review of the dining experience with us. I will go over the comments by order of meals. First breakfast has an included $6 per person credit as discussed with your server when you are seated. So you can have the fruit or french toast included in your stay or get $6 off the other items you mentioned. I have had a quick look online and found many smoked salmon plates and eggs bennies for $12 and often more in the city or Niagara Falls area. But our overnight guests pay just a $6 upgrade for such items.

At lunch I can say the signature burger is our top seller. The description "100% Canadian beef, guacamole, fire roasted peppers, blue cheese, spicy aioli. Served with Yukon gold fries " does indicate you should expect a lot of strong flavor with this burger. We also offer a traditional 'build-a-burger' option using the same house-made patty if a beefy burger was your preference. The fish and chips "Herb & beer battered blue cod, sweet potato fries, spicy coleslaw, homemade tartar sauce and grilled lemon" is made with fresh cod from Ontario Fisheries, battered in Flying Monkies Ale seasoned batter, made in-house, and served with the listed spicy coleslaw and sweet potato fries, aioli and tartar sauce with grilled lemon. Both of these items are exceptionally popular. The response of 'tasteless' and 'over flavored' when so much care has gone into the creation is not our usual feedback. I can only welcome others to share their opinion when they try them.

For dinner I do wonder what doneness you requested for your steak? The steak is West Grey Premium, locally raised beef as we are in beef country here. In all cases we are happy to take a steak back and redo it if we are made aware of an issue. The same can be said for the lamb.

I am thankful you enjoyed your breakfast as I cooked it for you. But Meg, my wife, checked you out after your stay and our servers follow up with each table to see how they are enjoying their meal. With all these opportunities for us to work with you to provide a meal you will enjoy you never told us you were unhappy. We were with you the entire time but we got your feedback only from this review. Even though we asked.

All I can say is the reviews here about the meals are generally positive and that is what we normally hear from the customers we talk to. If we had an off night I am sorry it happened to you. I wish we knew it was going wrong so we could take the items back for the kitchen to correct and ensure a high quality for all our guests. Great care is taken in the creation and combinations in our menu. We invite others to try the creations and decide for themselves.

Best Regards,
Dwayne Hallman
Innkeeper
The Falls Inn & Spa

There are newer reviews for The Falls Inn & Spa

Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Walter's Falls Inn is a very pleasant 2 hrs drive from Toronto. We recently spent a one-night getaway from the city and had a good time. The front desk was helpful and friendly from checkin to checkout. We stayed at the Cherry Room on the lower floor. The room was large and clean with a wall mount fireplace, a dvd player and also free wifi. We did the short version of the trail beside the Inn which took us about 1.5 hrs with constant stops for pictures. However, the trail was more challenging than I expected so make sure to wear good footwear if you are going to attempt this. We also had a couple-massage at the spa which was really good. Service and food at the restaurant was incredible as well. On our way back to Toronto, the front desk recommended us a scenic route back with a couple look out spots and to see another falls along the way. Overall, a great spot to have some R&R away from the city.

The only complaint we had was that there were at least 4 flies in our room. We managed to kill 3 but 1 was buzzing around us all night long. The flies problem exists in the restaurant too. Also, next time, I'll probably ask for a room in the upper floor for an even better view.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
fallsinnwf, Owner at The Falls Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for posting this review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay!

your suggestion about footwear for the trail is great advise and something I regularly tell guests at booking to pack.

You are correct that the flies can be a pain to deal with. We work hard with housekeeping and the dining room to eliminate the flies as much as we can. We have traps out-of-sight to assist as well. But once the dining room opens and housekeeping is finished eliminating flies is an unsightly spectacle. With patio doors to all eating areas and guestroom the flies return quickly and the little devils have a way a crawling through bathroom vents and other openings. The hazards of operating by a forest!

The good news is they really only 'bug' us in August, just as mosquitoes and blackflies hit trail hikers in May. We will keep up the battle for future guests. And feel free to ask front desk to assist with an elimination when you leave your room for dinner or another outing. But mot of all, for future guests, close the patio doors when you have entered or exited the room. You can hear the falls from the screened window. The open door will bring unwanted visitors.

Best Regards,
Dwayne Hallman
Innkeeper
The Falls Inn and Spa

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Loved the Falls Inn. Rooms were spacious, clean and had some lovely touches - bar sink, ring holder in the washroom. All rooms had balconies which faced the falls. A lovely way to top off the evening with a drink on the balcony listening to the water. Food was incredible and service very accommodating.

The Bruce trail runs through the property and its a great way to spend a few hours, however, this is not an easy path and at times the route is not clearly marked. this is not the fault of the Inn as the trail is not their responsibility however, it would be good if they told people ahead of time the hike is a bit of a challenge.

Our massages were a bit of a disappointment but overall it was a wonderful experience staying here.

Must admit that without a gps, it could be a bit of a challenge finding the Inn.

They also advertise that there is a church worth seeing and they are right, however, its not as close by as you are led to believe. A walk up the road to the house with the carvings and then a left turn will lead you to the church and graveyard.

None of the above are complaints, just observations. It is a lovely Inn and I hope that we will find a time to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The Falls Inn - Walters Falls is lovely place to stay. The rooms are always clean & have a beautiful view of the fall. Being V.I.P. members of Ontario's Finest Inns, we received a lovely bottle of wine from Coffin Ridge Winery as a thank you gift. The only criticism I can think of is the seal for the bar fridge was broken & the coffee maker did not work properly. We had both dinner & breakfast in the restaurant. Both were beautifully presented. My husband & I ordered the steak (medium rare). It wasn't the best steak we had, but it was ok. Everything else was delicious. I would highly recommended The Falls Inn as a romantic one night getaway.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Thanks the promotion in Travelzoo so we could afford a 2 nights vacation package. We went there last month, everything were better than our expectation. The room is spacious, clean and with excellent view. The food is presentable & delicous. I especially love the breakfast biscuit and yogurt. The services are 5 stars as well. Fast professional check in & out. We walked around that Bruce trail just very close to the inn. Then next day we went to Tobermory & Bruce Peninsula, enjoyed more hiking and breathtaking views. I shared a few photos here. Overall a happy & relax trip!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chibaba
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We’ve made a one night weekend trip to this hotel and it’s been a great experience. Large room (and bathroom), nice surroundings, good restaurant/pub, and excellent service.
A couple of details that might help:
- Cell signal in the area was a little spotty for me (Bell Mobility), a car GPS is definitely worth having in the area.
- The restaurant is rather small (sort of expected), on bad weather make reservations quickly (probably more seating on the outside patio).
- Great view (and waterfall sound) on the patio but from 2 PM to even 8 PM the sun can be brutal in July (and umbrellas might help more the people seating at other tables) –bring sunglasses and better a larger hat.
- I couldn’t set the TV to not have the descriptive video on, but it could have been me.
- The Sunday brunch is excellent and not expensive (less than CAD 13 if I’m not mistaken), gratuities automatically added on the bill and the coffee/tea must be paid extra (overall it’s worth it, much better than expected for such a small venue).
- Bathroom light bulbs are incandescent - if it starts quite dark have a little patience.
- When using the recent Travelzoo vouchers, the included breakfast was one of only two (non-buffet) options (I forgot which ones, one might be a fruit platter and the other one French toast and…), and only at 9 AM; additional charges for the buffet brunch around CAD 6.50 per person (plus taxes etc.)
Overall very good.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Calin N
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I found out about the Falls Inn through TravelZoo and purchased a package for a one night stay that included dinner & breakfast for two and a $50 spa voucher. We had a leisurely drive to Walter's Falls in mid-May and checked in late in the afternoon. As promised, we had a spacious room overlooking the falls. The room was very clean, comfortable and the view from our balcony was spectacular. I would love to return in the fall, I'm sure the view would be simply breathtaking. Dinner was very good and although our selection was limited due to the package deal, the food was excellent as was the service. We took a walk after dinner and had a great night's sleep. Breakfast was very good and we watched a Kingfisher flying up and down the ravine while we were eating. I inquired about local garden nurseries at the front desk and the clerk went to the trouble to print out a list of all garden centres between Walters Falls and Guelph for our drive home. I would recommend the Inn and would certainly go again. Next time I would stay two nights and take time to explore the area more.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the falls. When you were out on the balcony it was loud (but nice) but on...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Irish Mountain Bed and Breakfast
The Highland Manor
The Highland Manor
#1 of 5 in Owen Sound

Been to The Falls Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!