Inn at Bay Harbor, Autograph Collection Hotels
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Odawa Hotel(Petoskey)
View Hotel
All reviewsturn down servicefull kitchenmaster suitelake viewnorthern michiganbreakfast buffetoutdoor poolbeautiful hotelfire pitthe cottagesbeautiful roomoff seasonan upgradeshuttle servicemackinac islandboyne highlandsroom rate
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Great location. Amazing northern Michigan beauty. Service was pretty good, but considering the hotel was mostly empty I would expected a little more out of this level of a property. I had a one bedroom suite and our group had the 5th floor penthouse. The penthouse was like a dream. Perfect.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We've stayed here many times, both summer fun and a home base for winter skiing, and it's mostly been positive. We joke that it's Michigan on the Caribbean, because the outside area really is beautiful and relaxing in the summer...they even have a tiki style bar! Little Traverse Bay is usually warm enough to swim in in the mid-to-late summer. We sat and watched the sun set in comfy chairs outside up by the hotel bar (not the tiki bar) on a beautiful August evening, and it was the most relaxing, wonderful thing. You can't beat sunsets at Inn at Bay Harbor.

My biggest criticism of this place is that the rooms are just okay for the high price you pay in the summer, But, Michigan is lacking in four-star coastal hotels (since they're so hard to fill in the winter), so that's why Marriott commands such a high price in summer for this one. They have to make up their money somehow, as they have to keep the rates lower in the winter to be attractive to the skiers, who still have to drive at least 20 minutes to any ski resort.

The suites work well for a small family, but are on the plain side. The bedding on the queen and kings beds in all rooms is very nice and comfortable. I was a bit miffed because I used my Marriott points for one free night this summer, and got a room with a bad view near the elevator, even though there were much nicer rooms available. Really, Marriott? You give a valued customer the dregs? The nice guy at the desk tried to upgrade us by making a phone call--he actually even offered it--but the mysterious person on the other line wouldn't give him the green light. Talk about a let down.

The next night we moved to a nicer room we paid for with a balcony overlooking the water. (We moved early in the morning, proof no one stayed there the night before, and proof there WERE nicer rooms available the previous night.) But you did have to stand to see the water because of the wall. Also, the balcony was dirty. The hotel should require the housekeeping staff to clean bugs and debris off the balconies on a regular basis.

The pool and hot tub are fine. We don't really bother with food in the hotel--for dinner, we prefer Cava, a short walk down the street; fun, hip, good quality, foodie worthy. Kids fine to eat there, too. Fun little bar area for couples. For a casual outdoor lunch, Knot Just a Bar, near the rich peoples' yachts in the village, is nice.

Something you must do: use their bikes, and ride down coastal trail to the town of Petoskey and back, just a few miles. The views of the Bay off the cliffs are stunning, so bring a camera. It's an easy ride, suitable for children, with a wide paved trail and no big hills. You could also walk it. If you need a child carrier or bicycle built for two, for younger kids, they have bike rentals at shops down in Petoskey, Just park at the bike shop and do the ride the opposite way.

Have fun! It's a great place to stay in Michigan.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BellaAnnArbor
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Oh my goodness... was the reaction I had the first time seeing the Inn at Bay Harbor. It's BEAUTIFUL... so beautiful in fact that I decided to have my wedding there! I can't say enough great things about this place. My family stayed in a couple of the cottages during the wedding weekend and they were amazing! So clean and fresh, and they felt like home.My husband and I got to stay inside the Inn in one of the Master Suites... again, it was amazing! There was even rose pedals and a bottle of champagne in our room after our wedding. The staff (and I mean all the staff: front desk, housekeeping, servers and wait staff...) totally rocks and know what hospitality is all about. :) As for the wedding, it was one of the best days of my life and I would not have changed a thing!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the rooms... but if you are traveling with a family I would totally recommend the cottages!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at the Inn at Bay Harbor for a weekend off season. The hotel from the road looks amazing and the grounds were spotless. The Bell Guys were very accommodating and the Check in was good. This is where most positive attributes came to an abrupt end. I did not see one employee with a smile or go out of their way to try and make us feel happy we made the decision to stay in a high end resort. It seemed like everyone was uptight and not too happy to be working for the hotel. First night the whole family decided to try the fine dining. Before we even got in the door, the wait staff were running from the restaurant to the bar looking very frustrated! The Hostess at the fine dining restaurant was downright rude! When you have kids and 10 tables wide open, you sit them immediately. We were the only ones waiting. Her reason was the wait staff had to catch up with the guests. Umm Hello… there was maybe 5 tables with guests. Why have not enough staff working to accommodate the off season guests? Plain Strange. This was the case all weekend. As far as the cosmetics of the hotel, if you look at it from the lake side you can see it is not well maintained and this was evident in our two room sweet with paint peeling on all doors! Also, you would think this hotel with all the fancy schmansy amenities would have an indoor pool? NOPE. We were not impressed with the food or the resort. On a positive note, the maintenance guy was great when we needed some help with stuff for the kids and the maids were extremely nice. I think I saw maybe 5 people (that includes the stuffy snooty guests) smile the whole weekend. I think we will stick to Traverse City!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank MichiganGUY123
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This hotel is one of the best in Northern Michigan! The rooms are exquisite. The view is breathtaking and the food is fantastic. A real gem for Michigan! You don't even have to leave the resort at all. Great spa on site and the service and staff are superior. My husband and I stay there every year for our anniversary and they really roll out the red carpet for you there. If you're heading up north for any reason this is a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple