“Short of Average”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llangybi
Cheltenham
“Short of Average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2009

I stayed at The Cwrt Bleddyn with my family, occupying four hotel rooms and one of the private function rooms.

The last time I stayed at the hotel I had a superb weekend, but this weekend's visit was anything close to average.

During dinner we asked for some ketchup for the children in our party. The waitress returned a few minutes later to tell us, "Sorry, no ketchup." What!? No ketchup in a hotel? You must surely be jesting.

After dinner, a few of us moved to the bar for a quick G&T. "Sorry, no tonic?" You know you're
somewhere special when a hotel bar has run out of tonic. Now, I've had a gin & tonic in Lima, Cuzco, Nairobi, Marrakech, Kigali, Tambopata, and even Jinja, close to the source of the Nile.

None of the bars in those locations have had trouble locating tonic. Switch to a lager from the rather limited choice and a Baileys. Probably the shortest measure of Baileys ever delivered.

After an hour in the bar, listening to the incessant drone from Sky News banging on about Jade Goody's wedding, we decided to call it a night.

Fortunately, we were staying in Room 16, the room in which someone spent over 6 hours making it a better place to sleep. I can't quite figure out the point of that, especially as as soon as you put someone in there the balance is ruined.

At breakfast I decided on a lighter option, rather than the ful Welsh breakfast. Pancakes with syrup and some toast for me, and something equally light for her. Off went the waiter, order in hand.

After about five minutes a waitress walked past with some toast and delivered it to another table.

Fair enough, they might want the same toast as us. Five minutes after that a waiter visited The Others' table and brought the toast to us, making no effort to hide the fact that he'd just lifted cold toast from someone else's table to bring to us. He then proceeded to take their order.

Fifteen minutes after we placed our order the waiter returned to let me know, "Sorry, we can't do pancakes today." What!? You have got to be kidding me. "It's just flour, eggs and water, and it took fifteen minutes to figure out that you haven't got anyone in who can make them?" I decided to stick with a bowl of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes.

So, The Cwrt Bleddyn has gone from a fairly decent venue for a party to one that's rather tatty.

The stair carpet is held together by frayed gaffer tape. The door handle on room 16 is held together with chipboard. The door on room 16 doesn't close unless you bang it shut because the hinges haven't been properly fitted. Neither of the windows in the room close properly. The bed was poorly made, unless "lumpy" is one of the settings.

Given that the hotel was extremely quiet, I'm surprised that it can cope with a wedding party. At no time during the evening was it apparent that anyone over the age of 20 was working there. On the whole the service wasn't bad, but apart from two of the waiting staff it thoroughly lacked any personality.

Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Intermanaut
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2009
I am so sorry we seem to have got so much wrong during your stay and there is no excuse for not having available the items you requested. I have asked Liz St John the General Manager to speak to the team to find out why these shortage occurred and to do everything possible to ensure they dont happen again.

We have a rolling refurbishment in place since we took over last April, and I am sorry that the scale of Cwrt Bleddyn has meant that we have not been able to do all the areas as quickly as would have been wished.

It seems churlish to blame previous owners for lack of maintenance, but regrettably some of the funds we had earmarked for cosmetic improvements had to be diverted to behind the scenes issues surrounding heating, plumbing and electrics.....so I am sorry we are not as far advanced as we ought to be.

It was kind of you to take the time to comment and rrest assured we are moving forward.....although perhaps at times slower than we ought.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Caerphilly
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2009

Ok, so I am the event organisor at my company - a charity.

We booked Cwrt Bleddyn for our team meeting away day, consisting of two days and 2 nights.

Overall the service during the days was wonderful and the staff couldn't do enough for you!

What's my complaint then, yes?

Well...

As a company we have quite a few vegetarians and one vegetarian that has special dietary. i.e. wheat and gluten intolorance

We decided to choose all of our evening meals before hand to give the chef plenty of time. I had numerous email responses with the event organiser regarding dietary requirements, and all seemed to be fine.

I just needed to check that there would be adequite lunch available for the said gluten veggie - so I emailed and asked for the event organiser to confirm.

The response I received was 'She's getting on my [--] nerves!'

Obviously, this was meant for another staff member to see and not me (even though it was about me!)

I received a lovely apology from this person and also a voucher for a free spa day (I donated this to may partner's Mum as she had lost her Dad recently), which I gratefully accepted.

We have since used them again as they are an exceptional hotel! Top tip: never curse someone in an email because it WILL backfire one day!

Overall - can't fault their service!

This is personal opinion and does not reflect on my company

• Liked — Clean, modern
  • Disliked — Nothng
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2009
Thank you for your review and thank you so much for separating out all the hard work and professionalism done by so many at Cwrt Bleddyn to ensure your visit[s] were successful and a pretty juvenile, but non the less offensive action by one person.

I know that individual was mortified that you saw the email and certainly was old enough to know better. Your moral holds true for all of us in our words, thoughts and action.

Sorry, and thank you for being so understanding.

Kindest regards

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2009

Admittedly did get a discount for being a wedding guest, but considering I had ordered a single, but ended up with a very comfy king size bed in a pretty room, with a large en-suite I was more than happy. The staff were all really friendly.
I understand from other guests who were staying in different parts of the hotel that the quality of rooms might vary, so if you're going, see if you get Rm 12 because it was very nice.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Lil73
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

I have found this hotel and grounds to be lovely and the staff very friendly.
My only negative is that the doors to the bedrooms do need a paint. They are very scruffy and can be off putting. However, the rooms are very nice.

• Stayed July 2008
1 Thank reviewera0
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2008
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review. We bought the hotel around early April this year and it has been very hectic ever since. We are now getting a bit quieter and will grab the opportunity to look at the paintwork etc which obviously get a pounding during the year.

Thanks and kind regards

uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2008

We have stayed at this hotel a few times, predominantly for family weddings and had great times. We have recently started to stay when visiting family in the area, as the hotel has a nice friendly atmosphere and swimming pool with Spa.

We pay £70 a night bed and breakfast, which we think is acceptable for this hotel and suits our purpose.

The breakfast is the usual, cereal, toast and full English. The evening meals are quite poor for the price. We had fish and chips in the bar; cost ten quid and we got 6 chips and teaspoon full of pea puree! Another night we ate in the restaurant and had Lamb and mash, the mash could not have been a smaller portion had you tried, it was literally just one tablespoon full of mashed potatoes.

We really like this hotel, the staff are great, the rooms are adequately furnished and the swimming pool, gym and spa are nice to relax in. We would just like to see larger portions for evening meal. This really is our only moan for what is a nice hotel and grounds.

Those staying for a relaxing time should probably avoid the weekends, as wedding parties are normally Fridays and Saturdays and people are partying!

• Liked — surroundins
  • Disliked — evening meal food portions
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UkWebster
Glad you liked the hotel but so sorry about the portion sizes. We have mentioned it to Chef.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Cardiff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

Having stayed at the hotel and attended several functions there before, I thought it would be an ideal venue for a family get-together to celebrate my parents' 40th wedding anniversary. We got a very reasonable deal of £120 per double room for dinner/bed/breakfast. A very good start. Our needs were quite complex, with the need for one double room with disabled access for my blind father, and 3 double rooms for myself and each of my sisters and husbands with a baby in each family. We pre-booked 3 cots and high chairs. Both my sisters and families were located on the top floor (very windy stairs) but their rooms were fine, apart from the dirty plates and dishes left on the floor outside clearly from the night before. Someone came to collect them at 10.30pm...
My parents' accessible room was huge but very cold and we had to ask for an extra radiator as the heating was regulated by a timer and could not be adjusted according to individual needs. The room myself and my husband and son were given was located to the rear of the property, which meant walking with the baby through the rain and/or driving the car round to reach it. The outside block is clearly more recently built and much much smaller in size. The travel cot we'd ordered hadn't been sent over and it took 3 phone calls to get it, which meant that getting bathed and ironed ready to go to dinner was quite difficult as we had no makeshift 'playpen' for our little boy. These rooms are quite small when you need a cot so ask for one inside if possible.
There was a big wedding party at the hotel itself and a large number of the guests were congregated outside the main door of the hotel smoking, which meant the whole area stank of lingering smoke. There was no room to sit in the bar/lounge area as wedding guests had filtered from the wedding reception room to all other parts of the hotel and it was merely a case of walking into the restaurant for our meal then gathering in a bedroom - difficult with a blind father to negotiate through the crowds and the smoke, and up windy stairs. The meal at dinner was perfectly edible, but it was clear the kitchen staff did not read the waiter's orders as over half the steaks were not cooked as ordered (medium rare came out very well done) and they simply did not have the staff to keep on top of things. The cheese board was just a block of Red Leicester and cheddar with a few crackers having been told that they had Brie and several other cheeses to choose from. Jugs of water were brought as requested but no glasses - we had to ask a few times. Breakfast the following morning was beyond chaotic - no system of cross-referencing guests to hotel rooms and an inadequate number of staff to clear tables between guests. My parents were even given toast that had been left from the previous table occupants. I ordered a pot of tea and toast which never came - I had to ask my sisters and parents on adjoining tables to share theirs. Shambolic doesn't go far enough I'm afraid. I think the best bet is to stay here mid-week when there are only a few guests and their small number of staff can cope. If they stopped people smoking at the main door and got to grips with good hospitality management, they'd be halfway there. Each time I've stayed in the past it's been fine, but as soon as they stretch their staff, things fall apart. It's well worth asking if there's a wedding! It's an idyllic setting and could be thoroughly enjoyable in the right circumstances. The spa is great (apart from the lockers which have no locks) and there is huge potential for this to be a wonderful venue, as it once was.

• Liked — Spa
  • Disliked — Chaotic management and lack of public areas
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2008
Thank you for taking th time to post this response and I am so sorry we let you down....we obviously have a lot still to do. When we acquired the property in April of this year I did post a note on Trip advisor saying it would take us time to get everything to the standard we would wish. I am sorry that we are still on that journey, but we are making steady progress.

We have carried out a DDA Survey to improve the access issues, and I am sorry that a car accident involving some members of our team at the hotel meant we were understaffed at times over the weekend, and possibly pre- occupied as to how they were. Fortunately they are Ok.

I am sorry we got it wrong during your stay, and we will work harder at getting it right all the time.

liverpool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2008

I stayed at the Hotel for my Cousins Wedding in June 2008.

I booked Directly through the Hotel and paid £140 Per Room Per Night for a Double with Breakfast. This is more than a lot of my family paid in near by hotels but as neither me or my partner drive it was a lot easier to stay there and so we decided to pay the extra to treat ourselves.

The Wedding was really nice and My Cousin was over the moon with her Day and the Service.

The day before the Wedding all the girls went to the Spa and I can honestly say it was AMAZING!!! It is a little costly but worth every Penny! and the Spa Staff were Faultless!

Reception Staff were Pleasant and Check-in was Easy.

Breakfast was ok but not 4 star standard!

The room was Clean and Bright and The Grounds were Very Pretty but my complaint is with the Price!

I simply feel that £140 was far too much. I would suggest a price between £80 - £100 is fair.

I would stay at the hotel again but not at the price I paid!

• Liked — Fantastic Spa
  • Disliked — Too Expensive
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank NicolaNicolaNicola
Thanks for your review which I must admit stumped me when I read the heading as I thought it was going to be quite adverse, but it appears that the price was an issue and everything else was very satisfactory.

I am sorry that you felt the hotel was expensive but it is a tremendously expensive property to run.... I know that is our problem, but we do try to keep our prices as low as we can. Obviously demand effects what level of discount we may offer and I am sorry that we obviously werent able to offer a discount at this time which you felt would be more in keeping.

It was kind of you to post a review and we will continually look at our pricing policy.

Kindest regards

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangybi
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
BEST WESTERN Pontypool Metro Hotel
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Three Salmons Hotel

Been to Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!