“OK but not much more”

Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llangybi
Reviewed October 22, 2008

I stayed at the Hotel for my Cousins Wedding in June 2008.

I booked Directly through the Hotel and paid £140 Per Room Per Night for a Double with Breakfast. This is more than a lot of my family paid in near by hotels but as neither me or my partner drive it was a lot easier to stay there and so we decided to pay the extra to treat ourselves.

The Wedding was really nice and My Cousin was over the moon with her Day and the Service.

The day before the Wedding all the girls went to the Spa and I can honestly say it was AMAZING!!! It is a little costly but worth every Penny! and the Spa Staff were Faultless!

Reception Staff were Pleasant and Check-in was Easy.

Breakfast was ok but not 4 star standard!

The room was Clean and Bright and The Grounds were Very Pretty but my complaint is with the Price!

I simply feel that £140 was far too much. I would suggest a price between £80 - £100 is fair.

I would stay at the hotel again but not at the price I paid!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank NicolaNicolaNicola
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2008

Thanks for your review which I must admit stumped me when I read the heading as I thought it was going to be quite adverse, but it appears that the price was an issue and everything else was very satisfactory.

I am sorry that you felt the hotel was expensive but it is a tremendously expensive property to run.... I know that is our problem, but we do try to keep our prices as low as we can. Obviously demand effects what level of discount we may offer and I am sorry that we obviously werent able to offer a discount at this time which you felt would be more in keeping.

It was kind of you to post a review and we will continually look at our pricing policy.

David

There are newer reviews for Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa

Reviewed October 7, 2008

We had our wedding ceremony and reception at the Cwrt Bleddyn on Sunday June 8th 2008. Naturally, after seeing some of the reviews of the hotel on trip advisor, we were a little worried about our big day. There was no need. The staff at the hotel did everything they could to make sure that our big day went exactly to plan. It was absolutely perfect, even down to fantastic weather!

As we got married on a Sunday many of our guests arrived early and spent Saturday night at the hotel. We organised a private dinner for 28 guests and even though there was a big wedding at the hotel that day, we had fantastic, personal and efficient service from Liz the Operations manager who was professional and humorous and made us all feel at ease. She is full of energy and all the next day, was always in the right place at the right time, making sure that all went to plan, that we were happy and our guests were enjoying themselves.

Another member of staff who deserves a mention is Hannah, our wedding coordinator. All the way through the planning stages she was brilliant. She was prompt, professional, organised and thorough. She always replied to emails and calls very efficiently and was very friendly. As we were living abroad while planning our big day, it could have been very difficult but with Hannah‘s help it was hassle free. Even though Hannah was not working on our actual big day, her meticulous and detailed planning paid off and the whole day and evening went without a hitch. All our personal little details were remembered, all promises were kept and we had a fab day.

The food and service at the reception was great - (we had the lamb wedding breakfast - very tasty). All the staff were friendly and attentive.

Cwrt Bleddyn is a fantastic setting for a wedding. The grounds are great for photos. There are plenty of informal areas for guests to relax, especially if you are lucky with the weather - some of ours even reclined on sunbeds!

The only two areas for improvement are the rooms in the annex which some of our guests said were very basic for the price and also disabled access. They have ramps but due to the age and layout of the property some areas are very difficult for disabled guests in wheelchairs to access.

I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone to have their wedding here. Don’t just look at trip advisor, go to the hotel, meet the staff and read their visitors’ book which is full of praise from happy guests and married couples like us who had a great wedding day there.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Russara

Thank you so much for taking the time to add your review. We are all delighted that the wedding went so well.

Since we purchased the hotel in April we have undertaken a survey under the Disability Discrimination Act to ascertain what works need to be undertaken. We are certainly not happy with the current situation and will make every effort to expedite a satisfactory solution.

Reviewed September 28, 2008

This really is an excellent hotel. We were a little daunted by some of the reviews that we saw, but found none of the things that people complained about. The staff were courteous, friendly and helpful at all times, the food in the restaurant was great and the service was very prompt. The spa facilities were spotless and very relaxing.
Best of all was that we received an upgrade to what the staff described as one of their best rooms, and it really was one of the best hotel rooms we have stayed in.
All in all, I highly recommend this hotel. It is superb value for money, and the seclusion of its location makes for a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank welshbro
Reviewed September 23, 2008

I have never written a hotel review before but our experience at Cwrt Bleddyn was so awful, I feel I have to warn others.

We had booked a weekend stay and paid extra for a deluxe room. We had called ahead on the Thursday to let them know we would arrive late on Friday night and to check our booking - everything was fine they said.

When we arrived late on the Friday night, we were given our room key and left to find it in some annex out the back of the hotel. The room was very basic indeed and clearly not the deluxe room we had paid for. When I called reception they told me that was the last room available and they would give us £20 off. We were not happy but as it was almost midnight by now, we couldn't argue.

The following day, breakfast was awful. Cheap but not cheerful was how I would describe it. The waiter seemed completely dishevelled and hungover.

We went to reception to ask about changing our room but were told that the hotel was fully booked for the Saturday night as well and we couldn't get the room we had paid for. I asked to speak to the manager who wasn't in yet (this was approx 10am) and was told she would call us before 12pm.

At 11.45, we called the hotel as had heard nothing from the manager and she then called us back. She told us the problem was that we had booked online and sometimes those systems are not completely synchronised with the hotel booking system. Fine I said, but why did you confirm our booking on Thursday (one day before our arrival?). She had no answer. There were none of the rooms we had booked available so she offered us a better room that the terrible one we'd had before but she said she wouldn't refund us the difference..instead she would give us vouchers to the value of the difference to be spent in the hotel bar and restaurant. After seeing the quality of the breakfast we decided to cut our losses and drove home for 5 hours on Saturday night instead of staying one more night in that awful hotel.

Thankfully we were refunded by the online company we booked with.

My advice to anyone is not to go to this hotel. The website looks lovely but the place itself looks nothing like the pictures on the website. We were totally disappointed.

Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank MrsM94

I am so sorry to hear what a disaster your stay was and I hope you will accept my apologies. We have a range of room types available at Cwrt Bleddyn, but such is the popularity of the hotel that we fill up very quickly. The room type you booked should not have been available online, precisely because of the problem of systems synchronising, aand we have review the systems again in light of your experiences.

Regretably with online third party booking statems we need to check with them and get their authority regarding refunds and unfortunately were unable to access them in a timely manner.

Overall I am disappointed and so sorry that it all went so wrong.

Please accept our apologies.

Kind regards

David

Reviewed September 18, 2008

Very nice setting, pleasant staff, rooms ok but ageing and could do with a refit. Same can be said of the stair carpet thats held together by a lot of black gaffer tape! Nice touch!

No internet access other than next to reception, so this is a big negative. Bar was ok if not pricey, and the head barman was a bit of a nasty bloke who berated "his" staff in front of the customers.

Ate from the bar menu, food was superb.

This is an ok place to stay, but looks like it could do with a total refit and is starting to look tatty. Needs to fit wireless access.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2008

Thank you for your revenue and for your comments about the food.

Having acquired the hotel in April this year we are making great progress in working with the team there to sort the place out and there is still much to do.

The barman has now left and we are finalising a refurbishment programme to address things such as the faded edging on stair carpet.

The hotel is extremely popular and as such has taken its fair share of knocks etc over the years and we are now working to redress that.

Your comments are, as always greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 25, 2008

My wife and I have recently married at the Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel in Usk. We had booked to stay the night before and obviously, the day of the wedding. This was booked a YEAR in advance.

To echo a previous comment we met numerous wedding planners, three in total however, all were very good. The wedding day was exceptional and Hannah, our wedding planner and the function manager Louise were brilliant. They really did a good job and were there for us throughout the day. They were cheerful and always on hand to help - a true asset to the hotel.

Check in and out were fine and I found the staff on the reception desk to be pleasant and helpful.

However.....

We ate in the restaurant the night before and this is where the hotel took a serious battering.

It was NO SUPRISE to the hotel that they would be hosting a party of 14. We sat down, admittedly 10 minutes late as my father's fiancee was slightly late in tending to her bed ridden mother.

We ordered drinks, which took an ETERNITY to arrive. Some of the drink orders were wrong and they seemed to arrive at the table at differeing times. Our food orders were eventually taken and this is where the shambles ensued.

The starters were brought out again at differing times and the majority of people had finished theirs and were still awaiting drinks before my Best Man's starter had even materialised! I'll add that there was no apology given here. I'll also skip over the fact that some of the starters that were brought out were wrong.

Unfortunatley, the main courses were exactly the same. Wrong meals were brought out, meals were brought out when other people had finished, mains were brought out with no accompaniments (which may I add were brought out up to fifteen minutes later).

Our guests had to settle for meals they hadn't ordered and meals that were not even complete. Instead of looking forward to and talking about our upcomming wedding, we spent the meal complaining about the service.

The best is yet to come. After complaining to the staff and being told by the chef "I'm busy!" we decided that it was not right we pay for the entire meal.

Enter the Duty Manager.....

We were met by someone who immediatley went on the attack and her tone was a disgrace. A situation, which needed to be resolved was made all the worse by poor management. After meeting with the lady THREE TIMES only then, a good hour or so after we initially spoke to her did she do anything about the bill.

To be fair they did half the bill and that was more than enough. However, I would have paid full whack with a tip had the service been okay. Also, if the Duty Manager had not inflamed the situation, she would not have needed to offer such a substantial discount.

I had planned to book a suprise stay at the Cwrt Bleddyn for our anniversary however, after such a bad experience I have now decided not to return. I will be writing an official letter of complaint detailing all of the above (but by reading some of the responses I wont hold my breath for a reply). Might I add that my gift to my new wife was our return to your hotel and had to be cut from my weding speech ON THE DAY OF THE WEDDING!

Overall our experience was good but unsuprisingly, one bad apple can sour the most pleasurable of experiences.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Ilesey
LHMS, CEO at Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2008

So sorry to recieve this review but really pleased the wedding went so well. Unreserved apologies for the problems you experienced on the Friday night and we obviously still have work to do!

When we bought the hotel I did say it would take us time to fix, and with all the positive reviews since we took over we are obviously on the right track, but your scenario is unacceptable and I apologise.

You have taken the time to write to me and I am in the process of responding.

kindest regards

CEO LHMS Ltd

Reviewed August 7, 2008

Stayed here in June for a wedding - have to say that my friends wedding seemed to be delivered brilliantly and I certainly didn't notice anything like the poor service of previous reviews - actually I thought the organisation was better than many weddings I've been to in far bigger and more expensive places.

I agree that it is a pricey place compared to the facilities it offers - I actually ended up leaving around 4am to drive back to London because my room was so hot and stuffy (no air con) and I simply couldn't sleep.
Decor wise it's a typical oldy-house style hotel with creaking floors with every step up to the rooms, although the rooms are modern and clean.

Food-wise I can't comment on breakfast, but dinner was very nice and well prepared - there isn't really anything around other then pleasant walks and the bar at the hotel, so a car is probably essential for any stay other than a wedding.

It takes about 15 mins to drive here from the main roundabout in Newport where the Celtic Manor, Premier Travelinn and Holiday Inn are all located within a spit of each other. (I actually stayed at the Celtic Manor the night before and the standards for money are hugely different.)

In summary - it's certainly do-able for a one-night wedding in the winter, but i can't imagine staying here for an actual vacation, especially on a very hot and muggy night

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank mixip
LHMS, CEO at Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2008

Thank you for your feedback and I am delighted you enjoyed Cwrt Bleddyn. I am however concerned that you stated under your dislikes the "lack of facilities."
The hotel has a large swimming pool and large fully equipped gym and a spa with a range of spa treatments plus tanning, makeover and nail treatments. On top of this we have 2 brand new hard tennis courts, and once our insurance company sort out the various disclaimers we need to get everyone to sign, we will have 6 brand new bikes for bike rides. We also have 50 acres of grounds and concessionary rates for our guests at 3 golf courses within 5 miles.
For the less active we have a collection of free paperbacks and board games.
What else would you have liked as if we can supply it we will!
Thanks for the feedback......keeps us on our toes.

David Stanford

Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangybi
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Three Salmons Hotel
Llansantffraed Court
Llansantffraed Court
#2 of 3 in Abergavenny

Been to Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!