“Lost it's magic!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llangybi
Newport, United Kingdom
“Lost it's magic!”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My partner and I visited recently for a spa day (a KGB deal) and I was real taken aback with how this hotel had changed. I had been to 2 weddings some time ago and this was the hotel to be! I dont think it is any longer at least not for me! The spa itself was dated, smelly, not very clean or maintained. I couldnt stay in the steam room for longer than 5 minutes as the bodybuilder sweat type smell over took the euciliptus. I even heard some others complain about this together with a regular member complain about the state of the pool area and the dirty water cooler/sink in the corner of the pool. The changing rooms electricity wasnt great and none of the 2 hair dryers worked! The only saving grace was the lovely massage that the beauty therapist gave me and the afternoon tea was very substantial. But not one to end on a negative normally I will today because after my partner and I had our very filling afternoon tea we wanted a romantic stroll to take advatge of the weather around the grassed area of the grounds and it was awfu. We couldnt take one step without poo ... everywhere ... literally it was everywhere so not even the gardens are maintained these days. I had prasied ths hotel no end which is why my partner booked this and we ended up being disappointed. Real sad that such a wonderful hotel has lost its magic!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Josmurf77
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thanks for your review and I am sorry that you feel the hotel has lost some of its magic. The new owner are currently investing a significant amount of money on the property and we are part way through that process.....sorry if things looked a bit messy while we are doing this.

We do ask those using the gym to shower before using the pool, sauna and steam room and I am sorry if some on this occasion neglected to do so, but it seems harsh to blame us for that.

Our grounds are maintained by the same company that have always been used and in fact we have had one comment that we spend too much time on the grounds and the noise of these works is distracting so we clearly cant win.

Regarding the "poo". I think it would have been fairer to point out that this is not from dogs but from the multitude of wildlife including your chicks and ducklings we are blessed with......which other guests take great delight in,

I would much rather see a true country hotel setting with natural wildlife, than a sterile environment, and so it would appear do most of our guests, but do understand your point of view. I think it is also a question of degree and nuisance and your review sounds like people are wading through it, whereas there are "spots" here and there and other guests seem to handle it Ok....if you know what I mean

I appreciate it is a tough job to please everyone and we will keep trying to do so, and sorry you feel we let you down, which is never our intention..

Thanks for posting a review.

Kind regards

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Blackwood, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night with my husband, we had an upgrade to the Seymour suite which was beautiful and the staff were very helpful. On arrival we had the welsh cream tea which was absolutely delicious and a must for those with a sweet tooth! We made use of the swimming pool and other facilities which was very relaxing. We had evening meal in the restaurant which was lovely and the service was good as was the breakfast the following morning. We enjoyed a very relaxing and peaceful overnight stay in beautiful surroundings.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Cwrt Bleddyn during July 2013 mini heat wave, so we were probably seeing it at its idyllic best ie ducks waddling around the mini pond that they have, and us sitting out on the lawn gazing at the numerous weeping willows billowing in the wind etc, etc.

We stayed in the annex away from the main hotel, which has about 10 rooms on 2 floors. As its detached from the hotel, we didn’t get to hear the apparently loud wedding party going on at one of the nights at the hotel.

The main outstanding feature of the complex is the fitness centre complete with Romanesque style swimming pool, sauna and steam room. The fitness centre has just been newly equipped with some very up to date equipment. Whilst I’m not a fitness fanatic, I reckon you won’t be disappointed with what they have to offer. The best part of the fitness centre was the swimming pool. We went in there a few times during our weekend stay, and on each occasion it wasn’t very busy – relaxing is a word that springs to mind.

The restaurant was faultless, no complaints from us. Waitress service was well timed, food quality and quantity was excellent and the prices were what you’d expect to pay at this type of establishment. The great British Breakfast was as you would expect, just great.

All in all then, we had a lovely stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike B
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a nice quite hotel, with very pleasant surroundings. The food was very good although the restaurant is a little disjointed.
The staff were very nice and helpful, I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LHMS, CEO of LHMS at Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thanks for your review. Great to have you with us and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kindest

London
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Just returned from a quick stopover and had a fab time. Arrived on a Friday afternoon and the front desk staff made us welcome straight away. Hotel arranged for a room upgrade and in the main building, which was a welcome surprise. two large double beds, clean and well equipped room with a clean, large bathroom (good powerful shower). Decided to check out the pool and hot tub and after a long drive with our son, and was just what we needed. Clean and well kept and everything you could expect from a spa hotel. We went into Usk for dinner as our son gets fussy, but the breakfast was wonderful, and again good staff. I wouldn't hesitate staying here again, and next time would stay a couple of nights.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your review. So pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Kindest regards

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Have stayed here a few times recently & have found the staff in Reception & Bar/Restaurant helpful & friendly. Rooms are tastefully furnished,Bar & food prices reasonable & hotel also offers free WI-FI!!(Unlike many of their competitors)

Room Tip: be wary of rooms 21-23 as they are situated above reception. There is a fountain in courtyard which...