“Disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llangybi
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed at Cwrt Bleddyn on Friday 14th September and checked out the next day. Having looked at many hotels with the specific aim of having a spa relaxation weekend, we were very disappointed with our stay. The staff were friendly, courteous and on whole professional. The Hotel itself let the staff down, the rooms were shabby and poorly lit, even dingy, and somewhat depressing. The water from the taps was either full bore or zero flow with a lot of water hammer. The toilet only worked 50% of the time, and my maintenance skills were required to overcome the problems. The whole hotel was dimly lit and very dark with no atmosphere whatsoever. The saving grace was the excellent restaurant and knowledgeable staff who provide first class service and a lovely meal. Breakfast was poor, and did not taste as if it had been freshly cooked. Most disappointing was the spa, as we had booked this through a spa hotel website and had expected the best. The pool was cold, the steam room did not work and had a sign Private on the door, we complained and were told this had not worked for months. From reviews on the websites we have looked at since our return we have found that this has not worked since 2011! There were no clear directions on the Jacuzzi. To enter the spa and the beauty rooms we had to enter through the gym, which smelled awful, and did not appear to have a routine cleaning regime in place. The showers in the gents had no soap in three out of four showers, only one was warm, others had missing controls. The ladies was in a similar condition, my wife ended up having a cold shower. It appears that the area could not be checked often given the vandalism on the signage in the toilets. Please do not deposit chewing gum or toilet paper in the urinals. Someone had written IT MAKES IT HARDER TO RECYCLE. It was still there the next day when we went back for our treatment which reinforces the fact that they are not regularly checked. The treatment we received from the therapist was first class despite our initial reservations, the room was lovely and well kept. We found out that the hotel is in administration, and had we known this we may have reconsidered our visit. Our initial impression on arrival was had we not paid upfront we would have driven elsewhere and stayed in Usk itself at one the other hotels. This should not be advertised as a spa hotel in its current condition and it does not have the facilities to warrant what was paid during our stay. Our local authority has a better spa and treatment rooms, (The LC2 in Swansea) and only costs £6 for an hour in the spa, which is all the time we spent in the pool area. I feel sorry for the hard working staff who did their utmost to make our stay as enjoyable as they could. This hotel is a wedding venue only as it stands due to the beautiful surroundings. We feel that the hotel needs changes to the management team, acquire an investor who needs to spend in the required areas, and make repairs to bring what could be a potential goldmine up to the required standard. At present we do not feel we could recommend this hotel to our friends and family.

Room Tip: Stayed on first floor to rear No 10 and it was very dark and dingy. May be better rooms elsewhere bu...
1 Thank Dennis C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend for a night as a last minute suprise treat. I booked a heriatge room (one with the period features) and was not disappointed with it. The room was in one of the wings on the top floor and was much larger than expected, the bathroom too was large and had the period fixtures etc. The room was tastefully decorated with all the usuals that you would expect and the bed was very comfortable.
We used the spa and found it perfectly fine, no issues with temperature and it was nice and peaceful too. The steam room was not working, however the sauna and jacquisi was which was all we wanted.
The bar in the hotel is a good size - they call it the champagne bar, but it was more for pints of beer/larger than anything classier. You have to ask for a wine list / champagne list as these are not out on display. The do a nice bar meal selection should you not wish to dine in the restaurant.
The restaurant itself is fine enough. It didnt seem to have much in the way of ambiance, and the staff were mainly of student age and attitude. Jeans / cargo shorts seemed to be the accepted dress code and therefore it lacked the feel of being special which I was hoping for. Ignoring this however the maitre 'd was friendly and attentive and the food was very good; with well presented dishes that were tasty and well thought out.
Breakfast was very good with lots to choose from, all the hot dishes are cooked fresh to order with lots to choose from on the cold buffet too.

All in all a very good retreat in a peaceful location, if they worked on their bar/restaurant to bring it up a level this would have been perfect.

Room Tip: Several choices to choose from. Standard, refurbished, heritage (beams and original features) and su...
1 Thank Bristol-Flyer
Bromley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2012

The hotel is in a very quiet location about half a mile from the village. Usk is a further three miles away. If you are looking for a quiet location and happy to get to other locations with by car then this fits the bill. Two things were not up to standard, the swimming pool was cold. Also we stayed when a weeding was being held and the room walls are very thin so we heard the celebrations into the small hours. That said I would go back as everything else was well above average. The food was to a very high standard, the staff were very good and attentive. In short, well worth a stay if you can make sure there is not a wedding on and you dont fancy a swim !

Room Tip: Get away from the main reception to avoid excess noise.
1 Thank TheatreDreamer
Maidstone
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We stayed at the Cwrt Bleddyn for 3 nights at the end of August and found it to be in a lovely setting with very nice buildings. All the staff we met were very friendly and helpful and the food was of a very good standard. The room we had was a bit tired and in need of some re-decoration , also the bed we had was very lumpy and a bit uncomfortable. This could be easily rectified with a bit of a makeover,( I believe some rooms already have been refurbished). The breakfast was very nice with a lot of choices and nicely cooked. We tried the spa facilities where unfortunately the jacuzzi was out of action and the pool not very warm due to a heater fault. The sauna and gym however were good. Overall we would recommend staying here but would choose one of the refurbished rooms if given a choice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
wales uk
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed here last night absolutely perfect .staff friendly beautiful grounds and a fab building staff very friendly welcoming .i know about it going into administration there was no reflection of this with staff attitudes theybwere all lovely. on arriving we checked in straight away .lovely rooms .and then used pool sauna and hot tub .given towels to use .we then sat outside and had drinks as weather was perfect .fab setting .evening meal lovely too will be returning 26 oct .cant wait .breakfast was nice too.

Room Tip: all rooms nice we had 3 rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have just returned from a night at the Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel, I cannot recommend it enough. the setting superb, gardens beautiful and the hotel a pleasure. Our room was superb, surprising as it was a standard. Clean, light, comfortable and spacious. The evening meal was excellent cannot fault it, great value for money. And the breakfast the next morning was great, fresh choice and excellent service. Would recommend to family and friends, am back again for Sunday lunch !

3 Thank Nina T
Merthyr Tydfil
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I cannot thank the staff enough for saving my 50th Birthday celebration. For almost a year I had planned and booked this with Best Western Studley Castle who rang the day before to say they were shutting for 2 weeks. I could not believe it we had 5 double rooms booked for myself and friends/family, lunch and evening meal booked - all cancelled 24 hours before we were due to arrive. I rang around and luckily Cwrt Bleddyn managed to book us all in. We arrived for lunch with a table waiting for us, everybody enjoyed the food and the service was great. The weather was nice for a change and we spent all afternoon sitting and drinking in the sunshine. The evening was the best we had a lovely evening meal in a private panelled room called the Oak Room which was absolutely beautiful, it made my day having such lovely surroundings for my birthday meal. The chef even made me a vegetable curry which was great - thank you chef. The 5 rooms were all lovely we had 3 in the main building 2 doubles rooms 6 and 12, a twin room 20, a room in the annex and I stayed in a cottage room which was great, separate sitting area, kitchen and lovely shower room. We all thought the rooms were great and I was especially pleased with mine - it even had a private patio area to sit on. I am writing this review after our stay because I have only just arrived back home, we stayed on Saturday 18th August. I have heard a rumour Studley Castle has gone into administration I do not know if this is correct and I have just read a review saying Cwrt Bleddyn have gone into administration - I hope not it would be a terrible shame, we had such a lovely time here. Just one last thing, when we all gathered for breakfast there were not enough seats for us to sit together and the waiter said we could eat in the bar on a long table, that was so nice of him my actual 50th was on the Sunday and it was then I opened my presents and cards, if we had been spread out this would have been spolit - thanks to the waiter going the extra mile we all sat together. Thanks to all the staff, I really hope you are not in administration.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rainbirds
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangybi
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
The Parkway Hotel & Spa
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Best Western Pontypool Metro Hotel
The Priory Hotel & Restaurant
Three Salmons Hotel

Been to Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!