“Wow!! Best fish & chips ever!!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Village Takeaway & Tea Rooms
Cork
“Wow!! Best fish & chips ever!!”
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Passing through the village of Ballyvourney earlier this month on my way to Killarney. Decided to try a takeaway from this newly opened takeaway and tea rooms. On checking out the menu I decided to try the fish & chips. Got chatting to the lady owner as I waited to learn that all her food is freshly prepared each day and sourced locally. She assured me that even the burgers are not frozen but made fresh each day. From what I could see of the cooking and smell it was clear to me that this is no ordinary takeaway. There was something special happening in that kitchen and I not dissapointed! My fish was beautifully cooked, the batter was light and crispy allowing the smell and taste of the cod to dominate. My chips were thick cut, chunky and as near to perfect as as I have ever tasted. All this was served up to me with a slice of lemon and carton of tarter sauce. I have no hesitation in saying this was the best fish & chips I have ever tasted and I include hotels and restaurants all over Ireland and the UK where I have enjoyed this meal. This little takeaway is serving up amazing food at takeaway prices. It does seem to take a little longer than normal to cook the food but I think it is worth the wait. I am definately going back for more! Talking to another customer while I waited he recommended the burgers to me so next time I going to check them out. I asked about the tea rooms as it was not open and the owner told me that the rooms will be open by March and will serve home made food. Frankly I cant wait because this little place seems to be setting a new standard for takeaway food. Within the last two months I have fish & chips from the two best known takeaways in Cork both of whom have food awards hanging outside their door. Sorry but they are not a patch on this little takeaway in Ballyvourney. If you are travelling to Kerry you got give it a try.

• Visited January 2014