“Very nice stay enroute from Cabot Trail”

The Birches at Ben Eoin Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Ben Eoin B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Very nice stay enroute from Cabot Trail”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Lovely small hotel style inn not far from Sydney, Nova Scotia. A bit out of the way unless touring or business in the Sydney, Cape Breton area. Next door to the Ben Eoin ski area which we could not see due to heavy rain on the day of our departure. The Inn is fairly new and though in a somewhat Victorian style, very modern. The room was large with a comfortable sitting area replete with the modern electronic array. The bathroom was nice and the entire room, except for the balcony, spotless. One small negative was the ash tray full of smelly cigarette butts on the balcony table. The bed was large wit the requisite heavy comforter and many pillows. The staff was excellent being attentive to all our needs and requests. The Inn has a top class restaurant with a professional chef of note. The food was also excellent for both dinner and breakfast. One note, the room can only be accessed by a somewhat narrow curvy staircase that may be a challenge for seniors bringing thier luggage. Definitely ask for help going up and down. One last note, the room had a window AC unit that was noisy.

Room Tip: Very good stop with a wonderful staff and restaurant if the Ben Eoin area is on your itinerary.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Goeppingen
Reviewed September 14, 2013

extremly friendly staff, very good rooms and especially the kitchen was one of the best on our trip around NS : all in all extraordinary
preferred tee-times on the near by golf course
attention: if you start toplay golf (late) in the afternoon make sure Restaurant is open for dinner

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andreas B
Hilton Head, South Carolina
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed at the Birches while being involved with a golf tournament at the wonderful Lakes Golf Course. Our room was so comfortable and welcoming but the highlight was the restaurant. Russ who works the dining room made us so welcome and relaxed in spite of our very busy schedule. The meals were beyond compare, especially the lamb with wild blueberry sauce and the steak with an excellent reduction. Breakfast was also lovely with eggs in a cup! and, of course, the Lakes Golf Course, adjoining the inn is fabulous and just a short walk away. I highly recommend you calling Barb and Larry, the propritours, and booking in for a round or two of golf and a great meal.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MollyBridgetJack
Mabou, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Our overnight stay with golf the next day was the plan. From the moment we arrived at The Birches everything was pretty well taken care of. My wife was given a tour of the facilities and we were told that in the morning our carts would be waiting for us and we could just drive over to the course. Perfect. We certainly enjoyed our room and the time we spent in the hot tub was excellent, breakfast the next day was very good and the manager took that extra time to get to know us and answer any of our questions. I would recommend highly The Birches, the golfing was great as well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank safety_man2003
Sydney, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I cannot even begin to tell all who have passed here that you truly have missed an amazing quality experience! I myself have travelled all over the map and I am so glad to tell you that I now don't have to leave far from home to get the quality, service and romance that my husband and I were looking for. I let the owners know I was having a break from my children for my anniversary and because of this was able to check in early with no extra charge! I literally experienced peace and serenity the entire day! My husband arrived, we had the most delicious meal with a fantastic atmosphere. It felt like a home away from home but BETTER, being called and recognized by our first names! Their job was to make us feel like royalty and it was achieved!!
If anyone has read the previous comments please disregard them completely the room they paid for was mine! Why? From midnight on my very hardworking husband and I believed that this sleep would help rejuvenate us and we were wrong!! It was not due to the birches it was due to the lack of respect from the young men in the room next store! Their loud and vulgar mouthes kept my husband and I up until after 3:30 am! This was such a disappointment considering the amazing stay we had been having until these immature men decided this venue was the type of place to party and smoke outside my patio doors until the wee hours of the morning!
As soon as I made the owners aware they were so quick to assure me that I would be receiving another night for free! We were so grateful because we knew this was not the type of place that this behavior should go on! I think it is only right that you paid our bill maybe in future you will remember to respect others around you!! This comment on here clearly shows your immaturity level!
PLEASE DO NOT JUDGE THIS INN BY THE PREVIOUS REVIEWS, I EXPERIENCED THIS AND THESE MEN WERE CLEARY IN THE WRONG!
THE PLACE IS FABULOUS!!!!
By the way the hot tub was right off our deck boys not hard to get there at all!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lin07111982
Dominion, Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our stay was allright until I was informed I was paying for another room I didn't stay in, Owner explained to me that the people next door (Friends of hers) couldn't sleep. So she baught them another night with my credit card!, After stealing my money she told me theres nothing I can do about it, and that is why there is a deposit on credit cards. All that being said We were not up late or making noise, there was no damage to the room and we were only respectful. That's what I get for trusting her with my Credit Card. I will never stay here again and nor will anyone of my friends, or anyone I can talk out of staying there.
PS: Breakfest is terrible and theres no pool, and you have to take a small course to get in the hot tub.

Room Tip: Find another spot to stay unless you want to get ripped off.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Mike M
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed at the Birches last week. From the moment we walked through the door, we were treated to the best hospitality Cape Breton has to offer!

We were guided to our room complete with canopy king size bed, fireplace and jet tub. We were served drinks on our balcony in the brilliant sunshine. Our meal at Malcolm's was absolutely terrific. My husband had the scallop appetizer and I had the lobster bisque, both of which are highly recommended. Our main course was the lamb (ordered by both of us), perfectly seasoned and succulent with the blueberry reduction. Dessert consisted of the ice cream cone...handmade ice cream with pralines dipped in white chocolate with berry coulis. Mmmmm. Fantastic. The service was superb.

Did I mention that there were dozens of hummingbirds flitting about the many feeders outside the windows of the restaurant?

We were visited by owner Barbara who kept checking in for the remainder of our stay and who called us by name for the rest of our visit.

Great bed. Quiet night. Superb and sincere hospitality. Simply lovely.

We were taking advantage of the golf package and so our cart was ready and waiting beside our car the following morning, complete with two bottles of ice water, delivered by owner Larry.

All we can say is wow.

We will be back.

Next weekend, in fact.

Thanks for a lovely little escape Barbara and Lawrence and staff!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cabot Shores Wilderness Resort
Telegraph House Hotel
Telegraph House Hotel
#4 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to The Birches at Ben Eoin Country Inn? Share your experiences!