“Proof”

Ranked #1 of 1 Ben Eoin B&B and Inns
Dominion, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Proof”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Our stay was allright until I was informed I was paying for another room I didn't stay in, Owner explained to me that the people next door (Friends of hers) couldn't sleep. So she baught them another night with my credit card!, After stealing my money she told me theres nothing I can do about it, and that is why there is a deposit on credit cards. All that being said We were not up late or making noise, there was no damage to the room and we were only respectful. That's what I get for trusting her with my Credit Card. I will never stay here again and nor will anyone of my friends, or anyone I can talk out of staying there.
PS: Breakfest is terrible and theres no pool, and you have to take a small course to get in the hot tub.

Room Tip: Find another spot to stay unless you want to get ripped off.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
8 Thank Mike M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed at the Birches last week. From the moment we walked through the door, we were treated to the best hospitality Cape Breton has to offer!

We were guided to our room complete with canopy king size bed, fireplace and jet tub. We were served drinks on our balcony in the brilliant sunshine. Our meal at Malcolm's was absolutely terrific. My husband had the scallop appetizer and I had the lobster bisque, both of which are highly recommended. Our main course was the lamb (ordered by both of us), perfectly seasoned and succulent with the blueberry reduction. Dessert consisted of the ice cream cone...handmade ice cream with pralines dipped in white chocolate with berry coulis. Mmmmm. Fantastic. The service was superb.

Did I mention that there were dozens of hummingbirds flitting about the many feeders outside the windows of the restaurant?

We were visited by owner Barbara who kept checking in for the remainder of our stay and who called us by name for the rest of our visit.

Great bed. Quiet night. Superb and sincere hospitality. Simply lovely.

We were taking advantage of the golf package and so our cart was ready and waiting beside our car the following morning, complete with two bottles of ice water, delivered by owner Larry.

All we can say is wow.

We will be back.

Next weekend, in fact.

Thanks for a lovely little escape Barbara and Lawrence and staff!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Greeted at the door upon our late night pre-arranged arrival we were welcomed warmly by the hosts/innkeepers, Barbara and Lawrence. Our adult sons who were travelling with us on a Cape Breton golfing trip were shown to a spacious room with two double beds, corner fireplace, french doors and wrap-around balcony. My husband and I were treated to a corner room with king bed also with french doors and access to the same wrap-around balcony. The rooms are very well appointed and no detail has been overlooked to make your stay comfortable. We arrived too late at night to enjoy the hot tub on the large rear deck and will have to save that pleasure for another trip. The included continental breakfast offers a wide choice of tasty breakfast food served with delicious coffee. We chose the golf package (the course is visible from the inn) and our golf carts were waiting for us behind the inn in the morning complete with ice cold water bottles. The inn is beautiful, the lobby impressive and the grounds are attractively landscaped. We would gladly stay here again and will recommend The Birches to our friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
nova scotia
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was our 1st night's stop after the 1st leg of a 4 day sailing race in the Bras D'or Lakes, in Cape Breton, NS. (The inaugural Race The Cape) After 30 miles of sailing, this inn proved to be just what tired bodies needed. Lovely atmosphere, gracious hosts, excellant breakfast and great beds! One could easily spend more time here!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Bruges, Belgium
Reviewed July 27, 2013

If you are looking for a quaint Victorian style B&B filled with chintz, look elsewhere.

We stayed one night at "The Birches" en route back to mainland Nova Scotia after spending a day at Fortress Louisbourg. The building is a modern two story building with large lobby/entrance. The owners, Barbara and Lawrence, walk the extra mile to make sure you enjoy your stay. Our room was on the second floor at the back. The décor is very nice, the bed was perfect and everything was spotless. The "jet spray" shower was a bit challenging at the beginning but wonderful!

We ate at "Malcolm's" that night which is your only choice. The service was great. I ordered the seared duck breast which is done in a "chocolate chili sauce". The duck breast was wonderfully cooked but I did not enjoy the sauce. My mistake as I am not a real chocolate fan and found the chocolate taste overpowering. My companion ordered the chicken and it was great.

The following morning I made my way to the lobby area to read the paper and no disturb my companion's sleep. I was greeted by Barbara who immediately offered coffee. Breakfast was fine. We were told that it was a Continental breakfast when we booked so didn't expect a cooked breakfast. The choice was fine - 3 types of cereal, yogurt, bread , bagels, some fruit, juices, coffee and a small egg dish which my companion said was good.

The Birches does cater to the golf crowd. Just behind the property is The Lakes golf course and several of the guests we spoke to were on golfing trips of the island.

If you are looking for a place outside of Sydney and on the east side of the Bras d'Or Lakes, you won't find a better spot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jimbo S
Halifax
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Spent the last leg of our CB golf trip here and it was certainly the highlight of the trip. The rooms were large, comfortable and well appointed. Loved the fact that all the rooms were so different but each luxurious in their own right. Staff were friendly and welcoming. Dinner at the restaurant was excellent! Great menu, terrific service. Met the owners in the morning and it wasn't long before they felt like friends! Golf cart was delivered to us in the morning, unexpected nice perk! Can't believe we had never heard of this place before but will return for sure!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Traveling from Florida to Nova Scotia, we spent two nights at The Birches, with golf at The Lakes Course next door. This was the front end of our trip and none of the hotels or golf courses during our stay could touch the quality and style of these great places. At the Birches, the rooms are large and very well decorated. Great beds. The dining was even better. The room, Malcomes, is simple but the table well set. The Belgian chef fixed very good 'eggs in a cup' to go with the usual breakfast items - fruit, yogurt, bagels, ect, but the dinner was the star of the whole show. Easily the best dining experience we had on the trip. A strong menu, perfect presentation and superior quality. Your hosts, Barbara and Lawrence MacPherson, are always available and most helpful. They will be your good friends before you leave. A final touch...if you play golf at The Lakes, they bring your golf cart to your room in the morning and pick it up there after you play!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
#5 of 7 in Baddeck
Water's Edge Inn
Water's Edge Inn
#8 of 17 in Baddeck

Been to The Birches at Ben Eoin Country Inn? Share your experiences!