“Blown away in Ben Eoin!”

The Birches at Ben Eoin Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Ben Eoin B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was booked into the Birches by a local when teaching in Big Pond and was I ever surprised. This is by far the nicest place I've stayed in a long time. The level of service is beyond compare, and the chef in the restaurant was a true gem. You won't go wrong by staying here.

Room Tip: If you want some real class, get the rooms with the canopy beds.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We headed up to The Birches as a belated Valentine's night away. Beautiful location, between the lakes and the mountains, and easy to find. The welcome was warm, the rooms unique and luxurious (4-poster bed, fireplace in the corner, spa jet bathtub and lots of nice personal decor touches), and the outdoor hot tub a few steps away via the wrap around deck.

We opted to head into Sydney rather than eat in the hotel restaurant, as we found the menu limiting, but were happy to find lots of options in Sydney less than a half hour away. The room was quiet, the bed was comfortable, and the continental breakfast the next morning was simple but fresh and just what we needed to start our day. We were treated to a surprise vegetable omelette frittata too, which was very yummy!

The only thing that I think would have made our stay better was more option in the hotel restaurant, and maybe a cooked breakfast option.

Room Tip: Have a good look at the website - there are lots of pictures of the rooms and good descriptions to h...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AJM_13
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is by far one of the best B&Bs we've ever stayed in. The room was very spacious and had a lovely deck at the back for reading and relaxing. The inn itself was lovely. We only stayed on night, after the Cabot Trail and on our way to PEI, and found it the perfect in-between. Our dinner was superb. We found no issue at all with the breakfast. Lovely, hot, homemade scones rounded out the rest of the continental fare. And I must mention the chef, I wish I could remember his name! When we were told the scones would be bacon/cheddar I asked if it would be possible to have one or two made without the bacon, as I'm allergic to nitrates. Not only was the answer of course (he made me 3 as it turned out), but after dinner there came a knock on the door and there he was with a plate of homemade, nitrate-free freshly made lamb bacon; he said he couldn't stand the thought of anyone going through life without bacon! Now how's that for service?? This only goes to show how wonderful an atmosphere the innkeepers, Barbara and Lawrence create for not only their guests, but obviously their staff too.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a great place to stay for a romantic getaway. We stayed in the MacPherson suite. I think all rooms are nice, but this was my favorite. We had a delicious meal at Malcolms, I found the wait staff to be friendly and they work very hard to make your dining experince a pleasurable one. The room was beautiful, sofa , chair, fireplace, and jet tub. Would reccommend this place for anyone looking for luxury accommodations at a reasonable rate. Next door to golf in (summer) and ski hill (winter).

Room Tip: We stayed in the MacPherson Suite, it had a fireplace, 6ft Jet Tub, Massage Shower, Fluffy Robes, an...
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Spent two nights - August 20 & 21. Great experience. Accomodation and meals were first class. Barb and Larry very hospitable hosts. Would highly recommend. Too bad it is so far from Ontario as we would visit on a regular basis. Hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
1  Thank Graeme G
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at The Birches located in Ben Eoin, Cape, Breton, Nova Scotia. The room was decorated nicely, very spacious and clean. The owners made us feel at home, and general manager was very helpful planning our trip along The Cabot Trail. My suggestion would be to change the breakfast from a continental to a unique full breakfast. Their restaurant is very good which would make the change easy. We would have gladly paid more $ for a better breakfast. This B&B was the best of our trip although others offered a full breakfast.

Room Tip: ask for the upstairs corner room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank impact111
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The night my wife and I stayed here, (August 1st, 2012), there was no one else staying in the entire building. This was great for us as it was extremely quiet and peaceful and I could sit in the wonderfully appointed lobby and catch up on the odd e-mail through the wireless system. Midway through the evening, the Innkeeper (Barb) asked me to turn off the lights before I went upstairs to retire for the evening; which I dutyfully did: after the proper wall switch was pointed out to me, of course. The take-away from this experience resembled something akin to spending the night with an old friend who has politely given you the run of the place and then, even more politely, disappeared from sight behind closed doors and left you completely in charge. This venue is very highly recommended. We had a refreshing and seriously restful stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake......
2  Thank Mort S
Auberge Gisele's Country Inn
Water's Edge Inn
Water's Edge Inn
#7 of 17 in Baddeck

Been to The Birches at Ben Eoin Country Inn? Share your experiences!