“Some good, some bad” 2 of 5 bubbles

St. George's Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 New Malden B&B and Inns
“Some good, some bad”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

We paid £65 for a family room, which we thought was great value being so close to Hampton Court Palace, but the room was tiny, with a 3/4 bed, rather than a full double (though it was comfortable and we got a good night's sleep). The room was dirty with stained curtains, and the bathroom was simply a plasterboard construction in the corner of the room, with walls that didn't reach the ceiling!! The bathroom was tiny and the shower was similar to those in a caravan.
On the website it listed breakfast as from 7.30-9.30am, however, we were woken at 7.30am by a man asking if we wanted breakfast, when I argued about the time, he said that if we didn't come now we wouldn't be served. My husband went to the breakfast room and spoke to the chef who said that we could come back in an hour. The cooked breakfast was delicious and the chef very friendly, however the waiter (who had woken us) had a terrible attitude. I definitely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ChrissyA87

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Shepton Mallet
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Where to start??

I had a long trip from Bristol and was looking forward to an early night in a comfortable clean room.

So what did I get??

The bed:-

I was shown to a supposed double room, the bed was actually a large single which was not even the width of two pillows. When i complained to the landlord on being shown this room he insisted it was a double. Not prepared to argue I asked for another room, he said there was none. On closer inspection i wondered why the sheets were not tucked in, then i realised that they were actually for a single bed and did not fit!!! Further inspection of the bed linen revealed a blood stain under the pillow! and other dark marks associated with the general poor condition of the bed linen. The bed had springs that stuck into your body when i risked lying down on it and was very uncomfortable.

Most of the bedroom furniture resembled that which you might find in a skip!!!

The en suite:-

This consisted of a very makeshift affair which was poorly constructed within four wooden posts and looked tired and old.....

Over the door pieces of paper had been stuck to the window to cover it!

I was so disgusted by this room after an hour that i just could not stay in it, the dirty bed linen and quilt made my skin crawl!! So after booking another hotel on my iphone I gave the keys back to the landlord and left

Dont stay here its awful!

Room Tip: Dont stay here!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank offshoremind

Travelers are raving about these New Malden hotels

chrisbould
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in July. Arrived at around 10pm and was asked to pay immediately (never done that before) We were then taken to our very pokey room. I asked if we could move to a room with a double bed like we had booked. We were told this was a double bed & all the rooms were the same. I have never known a double bed where the pillows hang over the edge! There was no bathroom. Just a tiny room with a toilet and washbasin and the shower cubicle was actually in the bedroom. So when you had your shower you stepped out of it into the bedroom to dry yourself. The bedrooms weren't big enough to swing a cat as it was! When we went for breakfast the next morning we went into the dining room/kitchen there were 2 breakfast bars each facing a wall with a large mirror in front so you actually faced away from other guests. Now I don't know about you but I certainly don't want to look at myself in a mirror while I am eating. Anyway we helped ourselves to the juice that was already out. The cook was doing someone's breakfast so we helped ourselves to cereals that were on a shelf above us. We waited a while & then I asked the cook could I just have eggs for breakfast as I am vegetarian. He said I had eaten cereal so I was having a continental breakfast! Nobody had bothered asking us what we wanted & I have always had cereals before a cooked breakfast when paying for b&b. anyway he then insisted on cooking us a breakfast but I felt really guilty. His sidekick then started asking other guests if they wanted continental or English breakfast. We didn't make that mistake the following morning. The whole place was too small we felt like gulliver in lilliput. Won't be staying there again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chrisbould
Wetherby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Well, where to start? If you want cheap, and you don't want some things you could expect as standard, then this is the place for you.

I booked for one night and won't be returning there. I wish I'd paid the extra few ££ and stayed at a Premier Inn or something. There I was trying to support the smaller business!

Upon arrival, came across a door and doorbell. Was met by an older gentleman. I had to lead the conversation saying that I'd arrived for a night's stay. I was welcomed into the entrance (no reception area per say), asked to sign into a book, then asked to pay up front - without even seeing my room!

I was shown up to my room, which was up some windy stairs, low ceilings, and not great if you've got mobility or balance issues. My room was booked as a 'double'. Instead, it was almost like an attic room, with 2 single beds, and a smaller child's bed. I asked about my room being a double and he said he was full, but he offered to push two single beds together. So. not great. I was tired after a long day, and just wanted to grab a shower, set up my laptop and get to work. But, there was nowhere to set up the laptop and work comfortably.

There was a small area with cups / kettle etc, but the cups weren't particularly clean, so I didn't use them. No hairdryer, no iron. Small portable TV with dodgy sound. Bedside lights were too bright to be used on an evening - unless you wanted blinding! The shade did not cover the underside of the bulb which was useless if you wanted to read in bed.

The bedding wasn't particularly clean either, with cigarette ash on the sheets and random marks on the pillowcases, duvet covers and sheets. The carpets could have benefiited with a good hoover, and the room was just stale smelling. The decor was basic. I felt like I was in a student house.

The 'luxurious bathroom' was a joke and misadvertised. The toilet and (tiny) handbasin were separate from an enclosed shower. It was neither luxurious nor a bathroom! The shower had good power, certainly wasn't a power shower, and was not particularly clean. You actually step out of the shower and you're standing directly behind the door to your room! No bathroom exists!! The towels supplied to the room weren't clean either. Thankfully I'd brought my own!

To top it all, the bedroom door rattled against its frame all night, so trying to get a decent night's sleep was impossible.

I won't be staying there again, and certainly wouldn't recommend it!

Room Tip: Avoid completely
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Andrea D
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Wanted to visit the Wimbledon tournament so looking for a cheap hotel which was relatively close. Found this hotel via one of the well known last minute websites and as it was just over £100 with breakfast for two nights, thought it was worth a try. Arrived late Sunday afternoon by car and at first glance, it was difficult to make out the B&B sign lost in the signs for the restaurants below. Parking is on-street and I found a spot some distance away on the adjacent Penrith Street. Checked in with a somewhat sullen member of staff who took my card details, took me to the room (No. 8) and advised that breakfast was at 8am (their sign says 06.30 to 08.00!) I explained we were going to Wimbledon very early (06.30) and suggested a "continental" to which he agreed. The room was a twin and very small/narrow (but clean) with one bed against a wall and the other beneath the window. The bathroom was tiny (soap but no shower gel or shampoo) and was partitioned from the room but was completely open at the top of the partition (no glass) which meant you could hear "everything"!!! My mattress was very hard, as we're the pillows and the picture on the small TV was difficult to view at an angle. For breakfast we were given cereal, some toast and a cup of coffee but we were just keen to head off to Wimbledon. On our second morning, there was a different member of staff in the kitchen (the owner?) who was very talkative and cheery.....also offered us a full cooked breakfast which was excellent. Re the location, it is very well located for both Wimbledon and for central London (two train stops to Wimbledon and only 30 mins from Waterloo in London) and the train station is only 10 - 15 min walk and the general area (New Malden) is very clean, with neat houses and is relatively quiet. To be honest, I liked the area but would probably try to find another hotel or B&B but, at a push and if nowhere else, would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JohnboyH
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Apart from a confusion over my booking, and the apparent absence of any room service (that might be unfair, I was there less than 48 hours) it was OK. The room was small, the en suite positively pokey, but the breakfast was fine. There's no real reception, and I was unsure how I'd have found a member of staff if I'd needed anything. One minor point - most taxi drivers don't seem to know where it is, so make sure you have the address on your person at all times!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TeessideMag
Somerset, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

The rooms small, very basic and tired. If you are not paying much money then it is somewhere to sleep. The breakfast was quite good, but was served in a very small kitchen and I was asked to leave as soon as I had finished as there were others waiting for their breakfast. I thought the electricals looked a bit questionable with exposed wires etc.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MendipWurzel
Also consider these accommodations in or near New Malden
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon Thames
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon T...
#7 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Hotel Bosco
Hotel Bosco
#2 of 2 in Surbiton
Premier Inn London Kingston Upon Thames
Premier Inn London Kingston Upon...
#1 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames
Wimbledon Hotel
Wimbledon Hotel
#722 of 1,089 in London

Been to St. George's Lodge? Share your experiences!