“Worst food ever”

Ranked #1 of 1 Gunthorpe B&B and Inns
Leicester
“Worst food ever”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Bank holiday Monday my partner & I decided to go for lunch, lovely location but the service & food terrible, fire cracker chicken for starter was a warm leg of chicken with a cold sauce thrown over it, served with wilted lettuce, my partner had prawn cocktail served with the same wilted lettuce.
Mains..... Cod loin with new potatoes broccoli & carrots it was that bad I sent it back. Mixed grill was burnt sausage gammon steak laser thin pork & lamb chop burnt with chips & peas not good.
The waitress came back & said the manager said she will not charge you for your fish then walked away. All in all this was a very very disappointing visit for us & would not recommend or return here again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DeborahEngland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Daventry
Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

Having driven past the pub some years ago, decided to go and take a better look. Nice walk along the river trent and then back for a spot of dinner. The location is very nice and the food was ok. Let down a bit by some of the clientele who were sat drinking outside on a summers day.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is the second time we have visited, we thought that the first time the staff were having a bad day so we gave it the benefit of the doubt and went back. Mistake they were the same, they could not be bothered, the tables across the way by theriver were covered in used glasses and pots, my partner commented to the bar staff that it was quiet and the reply he got was, well let's hope it stays that way, they had no clean sauces so we were served our coffees on a dinner plate. The location is fab, the service is rubbish.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrea T
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We had moored up on the Trent and had a ten minute walk back to The Unicorn as there were no moornings close by.
It is a chain pub set in a fabulous location, but not enough tables for sitting outside and enjoying the fantastic scenery.
There were five of us in our lunch party and we ordered four meals from the specials (2 meals for £10) and one meal from the normal menu at £8. My first three choices were not available but the waitress was very good humoured about it, though my suggestion of a free dessert for having been made to re-order four times was not taken up :))
However, my final choice of gammon was the same choice as the main £8 meal and when they were served there was no difference in portion size :)
The food was delicious and hot and we all enjoyed our meals.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

We had asked for the menu and were given one on arrival, but it was only after ordering that we found out that there was a 2 meals for £10 menu, which was very frustrating.

The menu was very large and this should have been our first clue as to what was in store.

We had to wait over 30 minutes for the food even though there was hardly anyone else there. It only appeared after asking where the food was.

Upon arrival the salad looked limp, had items missing and was definitely not worth anything like the £8 charged. Carrots and broccoli had been boiled to death and not scrubbed properly. The 'hot' meal' had also been left to cool before being served.

We did bring this to the attention of the manager.

This is a real shame that the food was so poor given there is so much potential in this quite riverside location. I have been on a Murder Mystery evening here and the food was somewhat better, but still not that special. I haves stayed here once before. Rooms are ok. My recommendation is to look elsewhere...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tommo101
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My wife and i decided to travel to Gunthorpe Monday 23rd July 2012 for a bite to eat and a drink on a wonderful summers evening.
We decided to try the Unicorn as we had been to gunthorpe many times and never tried it.
Inside the restaurant was nice done and the bar was well stocked and plenty of bar staff.
We decided that this may be a nice place to eat and we found a lovely place in the window.
After finding our seat i realised that there were only a handful of people in this part of the pub at peak times and a lovely summers evening. suspicious! lots of people outsIde drinking?
The menu was massive and i again realised this was a pub chain, massive menu,no one in the place? had to be rough but as the seating was nice we decided to give it a punt.
I thought fish and chips was a safe bet and my wife a goats cheese salad.
Well my wifes salad came and it was like the bit of salad left over in your fridge and it went straight back ......jacket potatoe ordered even safer ? disgusting ! . My fish was nice but the rest ????????. we decided that was enough and left to settle our bill . the waiter gave me a bill for a family of 6 including drinks, and when i said it was not mine you saw his face sink, the other people had left paying our small bill.I said i only had fish and chips and we paid £8 . to be honest not worth even that !!
Do not eat there !

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steve A
Nottingham
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stopped here recently and joined some friends in the restaurant for an evening meal. The menu prices were quite cheap. I had a starter of garlic mushrooms - it was made to look like soup. I then had herb encrusted salmon which was ok but a letdown were the sliced carrots and new potatoes, dry and disappointing. One of my party mentioned his disappointment to the Waitress and she said it was linked to the new menu although I can't see why this is a reason for terrible food.. The cheesecake was ok. The bedroom was lovely and clean apart from the shower area and discoloured tile grouting. There was only a winter duvet available which was very hot! Breakfast was pretty good.

Room Tip: Take a blanket with you if you go in the Summer (instead of the duvet)