We stayed at Villa Monte Solare 15 years ago, as part of a trip celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary. This year was our 40th anniversary and we decided to go back for three nights. We wish we could have stayed longer. It was wonderful - despite an incredible thunderstorm one night taking out the electricity supply and hence the water pump, leaving the hotel without water for several hours.
Unsurprisingly the place has changed over 15 years. Gone is the slightly quirky hotel with wine-tasting evenings and concerts in the chapel, and painted furniture in the bedrooms, and in its place is a slickly-run, friendly, and beautifully decorated hotel, with lots of new accommodation in villas and converted buildings on the estate.
We were in Room 10 in the main house. It has an entrance lobby with antique furniture, a window and two armchairs. Then there's the bedroom itself - it's big, with room for a table and two more armchairs, wardrobe, chest of drawers, bookshelves, and a large and very comfortable bed. There are great views from the two windows (it's a corner room). Bathroom was small but well-equipped.
Meals were good and so was the wine, with friendly and attentive service.
It's a shame there aren't any communal areas other than the dining room, as it would have been nice to chat to people. There are a couple of lounges upstairs, but we never saw them being used.
The directions for finding the hotel are pretty rubbish - they don't seem to gave taken into account a new road. They warn you against using SatNav in case it takes you up unmade tracks - but ours (TomTom) took us straight there.
All in all a great place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a remote hillside above Lake Trasimeno, Villa di Monte Solare nestles in gorgeous grounds punctuated by cypress trees and fountains a few miles from Perugia. An enchanting villa, that for centuries was home to an aristocratic family, it is now a delightful boutique hotel with an excellent restaurant, two swimming pools, a tennis court and a pampering spa.Rooms and suites at Villa di Monte Solare are distributed between the villa, complete with marble fireplaces, terracotta floors and antique furniture, or in one of the 350-year-old farmhouses on the estate, also beautifully furnished but with a more rustic feel. Wander around the walled Italian garden and discover the chapel. Then, head to the pool and take in the sweeping views of the Muserale Valley and the Mongiovino hills.Take a cooking class with the chef to learn authentic Italian cuisine and then try to match a wine to your dish with a wine tasting session. In between swimming, relaxing, spa treatments and tennis find some time to visit some of the nearby villages for a feel of Umbrian life. End your day with delicious Italian cuisine in Villa di Monte Solare’s restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villa di Monte Solare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Di Monte Solare Hotel Tavernelle Di Panicale
- Hotel Di Monte Solare
- Di Monte Solare Hotel
- Villa Di Monte Solare Italy/Umbria