“Disappointing”

Canalside Farm Shop & Cafe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: We are a family run 'Pick Your Own' Fruit Farm, with lovely Canalside Walks & Cycle Rides, a seasonal Plant Centre, and a quality Cafe & Farm Shop located on the side of the Trent and Mersey Canal at Great Haywood in Staffordshire. You can also visit the historic Shugborough Estate or hire a barge and cruise the peaceful Staffordshire waterways within minutes of our gate. Why not pick up a picnic from our Shop or treat yourself to a delicious Staffordshire Cream Tea on our Canalside Cafe Terrace. Whether you are exploring the area by barge, bicycle, foot, car or horseback we'd love to see you! We are open daily all year round.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

Ordered soup of the day which was fine although a little expensive at £4.50. Initially told they had gluten free bread which they didn't but failed to inform me of this until they bought the soup to my table, meaning that I ended up paying 4.50 for what really was half a bowl of soup. Not impressed and will not be returning. Very disappointing as had been led to believe it was very nice

1  Thank Kjr19
Chris B, Owner at Canalside Farm Shop & Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2014

Thanks for letting us know of your disappointment. It does seem as though we have fallen a bit short here. We do normally have a gluten free roll available, but not on this occasion. The staff did apparently take the trouble to check with the Farm Shop to see if they could help, but as a fresh item with limited demand it’s not a normally stocked product. I think the option to change your choice of meal was given, but certainly in staying with the soup a reduction in price would have been reasonable – apologies for this. We have now put standard instructions in place.

All reviews
"trent"
"toilets"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed November 17, 2014

I recently visited the cafe for breakfast. Nice building but the food was very disappointing. The sausage bap was just that; sliced sausage on a bread roll. I had to ask for sauce to make it edible. The coffee was OK but most of it was in the saucer.

Things will have to improve if I'm to be tempted back.

2  Thank Phil H
Reviewed November 15, 2014

We dropped off the main A51 to visit the marina and decided to give the Café a try and we were delighted by both the quality and choice of food and the high standard of the staff. This is a wonderful location alongside the canal and loads of parking space for those travelling by car. I had what I describe as the best 'sausage roll' I have ever tasted. The food is not expensive but neither is it cheap but the quality does make it excellent value. A cup of tea came with its own teapot so enough for 3 full cups.
The restaurant was spotlessly clean as was the customer toilet area.
After our snack we visited the shop and again we were impressed with the choice and quality of food available.
Again the service was first class and everyone took the time to encourage us to try samples of the food available.

Well done to the staff, it is so nice to be made to feel a valued customer. We will visit again and suspect we will bring a shopping list for our next shop visit.

1  Thank walshy1160
Reviewed November 7, 2014

We have visited this new venue a number of times but breakfast is our favourite. Good selection of choices and whilst often busy (and a bit echoey due to the floor/chairs), never crowded or cramped. Very clean - I always check out the toilets as my rule of thumb. The staff are friendly and try to accommodate any requests 'off menu'. They even managed to pack up my lunch 'to go' when I was driving past and in need of a sandwich in a hurry. A great asset to the village.

1  Thank Wendy J