Hosteria Rincon de Puembo
$70
Agoda.com
$238
$160
All reviewsstayed herequito airporthot tubclose to the airportdogs barkingwonderful hotelhour layoverthe hotel offerswater featuresthe staff was friendly and helpfuldining roomrooms are largegalapagos islandsswimming pooltown squarefine hotelnice amenities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Before departing for Coca, we stayed in Puembo to be close to the airport and stayed at Su Merced. This is by far the best hotel close to the airport. Terrific hospitality, beautiful/homey accommodations, and the owner goes out of his way to do whatever he can for you.

Contrast that with Rincon de Puembo, where we stayed after returning from Coca and prior to departing for the U.S.

Prior to arriving, I contacted the hotel to determine whether or not I should have the hotel pick me up from the airport, or if I should arrange my own transportation. The hotel said it would cost me $10 per person (or $30 for the three of us) for a one-way trip. I learned that this was double the cost of hiring your own taxi! Nonetheless, the hotel sent a car regardless, even though I didn't request one. Upon arrival at the hotel, I attempted to explain the matter to the front desk attendant, but her English was worse than my Spanish. She insisted that I pay $30, and that she could not adjust the charge. I insisted that I pay $15. This argument went nowhere. She finally agreed to allow me to pay for me own ride from the hotel to the airport-- which was $15. I was stuck with the arrival transportation charge of $30. RIncon de Puembo clearly goes out of their way to rip off their guests!

(BTW, other attempts to communicate with the hotel prior to my arrival were frequently ignored)

At first glance, the bedroom seemed fine-- the basics were all there. Until it was time for bed, at which point I realized that I did not have a true pillow. Instead, an old piece of cut-up foam was folded and stuffed inside a pillow case (see picture)! Worse that Motel 6! I should have been tipped off by the pool and bar area that look like they were removed from a deserted, run down Las Vegas hotel.

In summary, if you are looking for a nice, comfortable stay close to the Quito airport, don't walk-- run-- to Su Merced. And stay far, far away from Rincon de Puembo.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ColoTraveler68
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a lovely hotel which is close to the new airport in Quito. BUT.... it is quite difficult to find and in a very odd location rather in the middle of nowhere. Our taxi had great difficulty finding it. We had an absolutely beautiful room - a sort of suite really - which would have slept 5 on two levels, each with it's own bathroom.
There is a swimming pool, massage/wellness centre, huge dining area, bar etc. BUT the place was virtually empty. The pool was not in use, the wellness part was being redeveloped and the entire place felt like a ghost town. The reception staff were helpful and friendly but the bar/restaurant staff were indifferent to the point of rudeness. Dinner was fine but breakfast, really poor. It takes about an hour in a taxi to go into Quito centre. The hotel suited us for our last night before flying home but as a last day "treat" location I would not recommmend it.

Room Tip: We had room No. 2 which was wonderful, large and really quiet !
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DympnaBrayIreland
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We selected this hotel due to its closeness to the new Quito Airport. Trip time was 15 minutes versus the 2 to 3 hour trip into Quito during daytime hours. A taxi from the airport should cost no more then $17.00 and it is truly hidden from everything. You are encased in the middle of Puembo in this hacienda type hotel which was relaxing, clean with all the services you might need to recover for your next flight out of Quito. The pool was clean, the services excellent and the front desk speaks English. Not a lot of places to go eat or visit outside the walls of the hotel. Their restaurant and bar is more then adequate for the few days stay. If you book on weekends, the place seems empty...this is a place that is heavily active during weekdays for Ecuadorian business people who have seminars, meetings and business activities. Book early if you want a room during the weekdays. They were great in arranging our car needs at 4:30 AM to the airport. Excellent service and reliable. This is the closest hotel to the new airport and well worth the relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bogey911
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here twice for a total of four nights on either end of our trip to the Galapagos. Because of the longer travel time to and from the new airport now outside of Quito, our trip organizer (Wilderness Travel - excellent by the way), suggested we stay here and we are very happy we did. The manager, his wife and the entire staff are very friendly and helpful. He and she speak excellent English and the rest of the staff are learning. I found that the hotel is still going through some adjustment now that it has become so desirable to tourists in transit. Safes have been added to the rooms but the ones in the two rooms we had, had not been bolted down yet. Sometimes, the communications did not quite get through (an early breakfast spread and coffee did not happen) but other times they did (a dangerous wooden beam that both my husband and our friend hit their heads on was quickly cut back). Naturally, due to this new demand,the price has increased but I found the hotel to be good value and I enjoyed staying there.
Pluses: -very pretty buildings mirroring a colonial town
- pretty garden complete with big, clean swimming pool, beautiful flowering plants, and resident hummingbirds
- very clean rooms with simple but solid nice quality fruniture
- efficient plumbing and very nice toiletries
- very nice restaurant with delicious food (loved the potato and avocado soup). Take a look at the numerous domes in the ceiling as they are beautifully painted with murals.
-nice sitting area at the office. Pretty local shawls and liquers for sale.
- the patio bar by the pool is a relaxing place for lunch.
- Easy access from the street. Take a walk to the main square in town (with others and during the day).

Minuses: - the thin walls may bother light sleepers.
- a few "growing pains" but these will be taken care of.

I enjoyed our visit and would stay here again.

Room Tip: The meals are big, you may want to split. The walls are thin. Our room upstairs was quieter than our one downstairs. The walls in the washroom are even less sound resistant! Plan ahead.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank imphillips
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Excellent location, what you see is what you get, their web site is refreshingly accurate. The rooms were spacious, pool was clean and well lit, The staff was very friendly, It is a great location not to distant from the airports. Prices were very reasonable, a great place for a quiet weekend with your significant other or just some place to go and relax. Because you are not in the big city Quito and at a higher elevation, the night skies are clear and the absents of "white noise" is refreshing. No problems getting WIFI.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple