“Afternoon tea.”
Review of Porth Tocyn Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bwlchtocyn
Porth Tocyn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bwlchtocyn
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel had a reputation by some to be the poshest and best hotel in Abersoch. My husband, son and I popped in to have afternoon tea. I asked for a menu the lady behind the bar was extremely rude, and had a very bored and annoyed attitude. She told me they do not actually do afternoon tea, I asked for a menu, to be told that she does not do a menu but can tell me what she hs....."tea 1.60, coffee 1.60, 1 chocolate brownie, some coffee cake, a bit of short bread........We had tea, in big fat cups from a rubbish tea set, not China, as I would have expected from a hotel with such a reputation, and coffee cake that tasted like lemon cake. I checked out the decor, it looked like it had all been picked up from a junk shop, not sure what effect they are after, it just looks like an old peoples home. I believe the food in the evening is really good? Not sure about that as in previous piccys I saw "frozen chips" hhhuuummmm??? Views are spectacular though.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank luckyladywoo

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Nice setting and view but it was stupidly over-priced, and worst of all, the owner Nick was extremely rude and arrogant. The man has no tact, and he succeeded in rubbing my partner and myself up the wrong way from the off. Be warned.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
13  Thank andy703513
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late and without a booking,( double booked elsewhere, long story) and we couldn't of been made to feel more welcome, the Manager showed us in, a lovely friendly welsh lady showed us to our room and told us to come down for dinner when were ready, even though it was late and they'd officially finished serving 5 minutes ago.
We had an amazing dinner with breath taking views and with such lovely genuinely friendly service, I had Salmon, my husband had Venison, both meals looked great and tasted wonderful. We took coffee in one of the little snugs and I felt like I'd been dropped into a cloud I was that relaxed, ok maybe the wine helped.
The rooms were a good size, spotlessly clean and our room had the most amazing views over the bay.
Breakfast was a good choice of fruits, cereals and yoghurts ,followed by a great welsh hot breakfast, and delicious marmalade locally.
We took a little walk pointed out by one of the staff and returned for a pot of tea before departing.
Nothing was to much trouble, it was a little expensive for our budget but a luxury I'd definitely save for again.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Traceyanne68
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is the second hotel I have selected through Tripadvisor and it's another stonking success. Thanks to all previous Tripadvisor reviewers of this place.
We arrived on a Sunday for a 4 night stay and were 2 hours early, having had a wonderful drive through some spectacular Welsh scenery. Then place was busy with luncheon diners but we found the owner who took us to our room (No 23) as it was ready. It was a large double with a fantastic seaview as requested. There was a door to a small area where you could dress or style your hair etc and this led onto the bathroom which wasn't overlarge but had everything in place. A slight drawback I found on the second day was that the shower screen did not meet the bath correctly and the floor got very wet after I washed my hair!
A tea/coffee tray is not automatically placed in your room but when you read the hotel guide it states that if you want one just ask. We did, asked and got a kettle etc and fresh milk which we could replenish whenever we needed. Great.
And it just carried on getting better and better. The location is brilliant. The Hotel is warm, welcoming and overflowing with rooms full of comfy sofas, interesting pictures, antiques and books...lots of books.
There is a table tennis room in the conservatory, A Tennis court and a heated swimming pool within the grounds which are very well maintained. The Hotel is on the edge of the Coastal Path and is easily accessed. The Coastal trail offers some spectacular views of Abersoch, the sea with its dolphins and the mountains in the distance, they are a must for any visitors to the area.
This Hotel has the best sun loungers I have ever lounged in and we are still trying to get something similar for home - seriously relaxing. The pool area is clean and private and with the sun beating down on us, it felt like we were in the Canaries.
The food is perfect. None of the well produced dishes disappointed and there was a good choice for all. The wine list was very good and all the Hotel staff were helpful, friendly and able. I want to go back next year and take our 13 year old son because I think he would love it too. Dogs are allowed. We saw quite a few dogs going for walks before and after breakfast etc but their presence never impacted on our enjoyment.
This place seems to have been a firm favourite with the Cheshire folk who like to holiday in Wales since at least the late forties. I wish I had read about it sooner!
I read some of the comments that have been made about the owner but we found Nick amusing and his wife Louise is lovely and it is because of their vision that the hotel is as well balanced as you could wish for. Something for everyone, be it singles,couple or families and no matter what age. Very special.

Room Tip: Room 23 is on the first floor and is spacious with spectacular views. The insulation between rooms i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ann1eM
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Delicious food, lovely people and warm and friendly atmosphere! Bliss! Staying with the Fletcher-Brewer's - you really feel like you are just staying with old friends!

The staff are charming and go out of their way to advise on places to see, activities to do etc. There is a ready supply of maps and guide books for keen walkers and the surfer's beach (a 30 minute walk along the stunning coastal path) is among one of the nicest beaches I have seen anywhere.

Apparently nothing much seemed to have changed since my father's last visit (over 20 years ago), but the rooms are in good conditions and the bathrooms are modern (the water-pressure is very good - almost too good - it is rather difficult to have a shower without soaking the bathroom). We stayed in room 1 which had a beautiful view of the sea and the sunrise (it is also apparently inhabited by friendly ghost, of which we saw no sign!).

The food at dinner was delicious and varied - the menu changed every night and the staff seemed very happy to accommodate special requests - even offering to make a particular desert for the following night. Breakfast was also good, but un-remarkable. There was a predictable supply of cereals and yogurt pots and a small amount of prepared fruit and pastries. The cooked breakfast was good, but a little slow if the restaurant was busy.

All in all wonderful... a perfect escape!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Georgina W
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Lovely friendly hotel. Serving fantastic food and a huge array of drinks. Whether you are a resident or not you are given a lovely warm welcome. Lunch on the terrace or afternoon tea all delightful. Suppers served as well.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Dontknowwhattodo
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We returned to Porth Tocyn after a break of 34 Years. We should have gone back earlier! Nothing had changed very much. Even Nick F-B, then running the hotel with his mother, now the proprietor (with wife Louise), seemed to have aged only slightly, and still retains his mischievous sense of humour. It must be the welsh sea air! The hotel is well appointed with super sea views, and is extremely comfortable in a slightly old fashioned (but not 'dusty') sort of way, yet it has broadband almost everywhere, and it is free! ( the broadband that is!!) We stayed a week and although the weather was...well Welsh, very changeable, we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay. The bed was comfortable and the room quiet, so we slept well. As it was all those years ago, the food was truly excellent. And the staff without exception, were helpful, friendly and attentive. We felt it was excellent value for money, and even the wine was reasonably priced! Even were anno domini to allow us to do so, we won't leave it so long before we next return.

Room Tip: Go for an upper room with a sea view, the view of Snowdonia across the bay is stunning.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roger N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bwlchtocyn
18 mi away
Royal Sportsman Hotel
Royal Sportsman Hotel
#2 of 2 in Porthmadog
Bron Eifion Country House Hotel

Been to Porth Tocyn Hotel? Share your experiences!